PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep self from staying on a diet or daily exercise. Help.

Nicoli
08-13-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't find myself overweight at all. But I'm 5'2ft. I weigh around 115 pounds.

I can't get myself to stay on a diet and exercise daily.
It's on and off. As this has been going on for years.
Im concerned about my stomach. For when I sit. My stomach seems bigger then when I'm standing. It bothers me got I used to weight 110 and I'm afraid this weight is gonna keep coming on.

It's hard to eat light when my parents always decide to make greasy and fattening food for lunch and dinner.

Kasinator
08-14-2010, 07:09 AM
I don't find myself overweight at all. But I'm 5'2ft. I weigh around 115 pounds.

I can't get myself to stay on a diet and exercise daily.
It's on and off. As this has been going on for years.
Im concerned about my stomach. For when I sit. My stomach seems bigger then when I'm standing. It bothers me got I used to weight 110 and I'm afraid this weight is gonna keep coming on.

It's hard to eat light when my parents always decide to make greasy and fattening food for lunch and dinner.

of course your stomach is bigger when you sit down. Everyone's is. It's the the way your body works. dedication is a tricky thing. The only thing I can suggest is keeping some sort of journal entry. Try to stay on exercise first before diet, and then when you find your groove, go to dieting if you feel the need to. follow my generic protagonist workout I have posted, and try to stick with it for 14 days. It takes 14 days to break a bad habit, so a good habit must take just as long to develop.:) I wish you well.

Nicoli
08-14-2010, 09:18 AM
of course your stomach is bigger when you sit down. Everyone's is. It's the the way your body works. dedication is a tricky thing. The only thing I can suggest is keeping some sort of journal entry. Try to stay on exercise first before diet, and then when you find your groove, go to dieting if you feel the need to. follow my generic protagonist workout I have posted, and try to stick with it for 14 days. It takes 14 days to break a bad habit, so a good habit must take just as long to develop.:) I wish you well.

Haha, thanks. I'll go check it out.
:D

distantarray
08-14-2010, 01:53 PM
personally I always believe people tend to OVER diet and OVER exercise at the sametime, which should never be the case since your body needs MORE calories when you workout to stay HEALTHY while losing FAT. Losing WEIGHT is not always GOOD progress when it comes to HEALTH.

Your goal should be to lose body fat % and not nessasarily WEIGHT.

For instance if your on weight watchers STAY AWAY from working out period. Weight watchers program is NOT based around people who exercise and everything should be adjusted accordingly to your WORKOUT schedule.

More you workout more you should eat. If your hungry EAT.

As long as you don't OVER EAT to the point your full, or NOT EAT to where your left hungry your doing fine. Start with that first, just try to get some protein into your system aim for 20+ which is a 4 ounce steak, a cut of pork chop, filet of fish, chicken breast, 4 eggs, 6 slices of whole wheat (peanut butter sandwiches on wheat is good way to hit it with some milk)

Personally I say just workout, DO NOT DIET, and see how that goes, as you keep working out your mentallity should get stronger naturally, thinking shit I just ran hour on the treadmill to burn 500 calories.....this soda is 180 wtf? once you start calculating and reading labels you start to see things differently. When this happens you should be doing fine.

For guys a 1 hour serious workout which is like 1 full hour of jump roping, hard training like Tae Kwon Do, Capoeira martial arts or even boxing training, you should eat around 1,000 extra calories for a normal person. So dont worry about diets to be honest at first.

Depending on body types, some need 4,000 calories, to 1,500 calories depending on bodytypes as well. If your 5'2 115 if I had to guess I'd say you'd probably need 2,000 - 2,500 calories minimum on a workout day. Most people aim for 1,500 as most diet sites would recommend but remember these do NOT factor in a active lifestyle.

catfetus
08-14-2010, 02:12 PM
I have kind of a similar problem, only I'm a bit bigger anyways :P

One thing that I do to help is working on my posture. It's amazing how much better just having good posture helps your figure. So if you have trouble working out regularly focus instead on strengthening your abs and back. Do a lot of crunches, situps, and even try some back exercises like planks (basically where you hold an almost situp position for 30 seconds or so at a time).

distantarray
08-14-2010, 02:40 PM

One thing that I do to help is working on my posture. It's amazing how much better just having good posture helps your figure. So if you have trouble working out regularly focus instead on strengthening your abs and back. Do a lot of crunches, situps, and even try some back exercises like planks (basically where you hold an almost situp position for 30 seconds or so at a time).

I'm not too sure if planks are great exercises but hyper extentions are great and you can do those at home easily with a swiss ball which is like a reverse crunch

http://www.southmoretonboxingclub.com/white-collar/2008/04/21/swiss-ball-dorsal-raise/

Nicoli
08-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks, I will try working on my posture. -sits up straight- ^^
And I will try the crunches. I one time did them, but started to get tired of doing them and was afraid they wouldnt work.

Brand
08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah working posture is important. My trainer says rowing is good for your posture. He makes me stand and practice good posture all the time. Stand up straight, pull your shoulders back a little, suck in your stomach half way, make sure your toes don't face outwards and center your head on your neck. Stand like that daily. If you don't slouch or slump your body will automatically look slimmer.

And yeah that food wont help your diet in the long run but what will help is if you don't eat it all at once in one big portion. If your parents make lunch eat half of it then and the rest later. Still getting same calories but your metabolism will be better for it.

Nicoli
08-15-2010, 01:22 PM
When practicing posture. Is it a bad thing that your back starts to hurt?

Chirudesu
08-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Your back is probably hurting because you're not used to being so proper. After a while, I assume you get used to it, unless you're doing something incorrectly, you should be fine after a while.

SeaNarwhal
08-15-2010, 03:31 PM
You are not overweight, but have a bit of a tummy? Me and you are both in the same boat. I don't really diet, because it can be exhausting to count calories and keep track! I am a lover of junk food though, so I try to limit myself to say...one coke and one candy/chips per day. Then I try to fill myself up on healthy foods like fruits and veggies, especially before a greasy dinner. And you'd be amazed by how much weight you can lose just by taking out one unhealthy thing in your diet. I quit soda for 2 months and lost 7 pounds!

As for getting your tummy into shape, its a mix of core exercises to strengthen muscles, and aerobics in order to burn fat. I love pilates personally, and you can pick up a cheap video at most used dvd places. Going for a run is also nice, because fat will come off everywhere, not just your legs when exercising. Do something simple everyday, even just 20 minutes, and you will notice a difference without having to work too hard.

Brand
08-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Also try and drink around a gallon of water a day. If you don't drink enough water your body will retain it around your midsection. Judging from your pictures you're not fat, so it could be water weight. General rule is drink half your body weight in ounces.

SilverSteam
08-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Also try and drink around a gallon of water a day. If you don't drink enough water your body will retain it around your midsection. Judging from your pictures you're not fat, so it could be water weight. General rule is drink half your body weight in ounces.

But at the same time too much water can be a bad thing isn't that right Kasinator?

Kasinator
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
well yeah. for starters you get really frequent visits to the bathroom and in some extreme cases internal drowning.

distantarray
08-15-2010, 07:35 PM
But at the same time too much water can be a bad thing isn't that right Kasinator?

at the sametime a gallon or two won't really hurt you, when your drinking like 3-5 a day I'd worry