PDA

View Full Version : Anime DVDs With Best/Worst Extras

Aurora
10-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Considering the price many people pay for anime dvds (Suncoast typically charges $30.00 per dvd, ouch), we probably are expecting a little something more than good episodes for that price. We expect some extra goodies, whether it be interviews with the seiyuus/va's/directors, art galleries, textless op/ed, etc. So I ask everyone, which anime DVD(s) have the BEST extras in them, and which are rather...on the skimpy side.

Demented Otaku
10-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Best extras... I would say the Akira special edition DVD, Esca movie ultimate edition, Jin-Roh special edition... anything along those lines. Cowboy Bebop also has some extras worth checking out. Now for worst, the Outlaw Star DVD's have some pretty mediocre extras, I thought there'd be more. Evangelion doesn't have anything too special either, in terms of extras of course.

Mei Lan Chang
10-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Ohh, I second that motion on the Jin Rooh special edition. One of the best purchses I ever made. But that is the ONLY special edition I have ever bought, so I can't really contribute to this thread other than saying "OH! Me too!".

John Booty
10-16-2002, 04:30 PM
I was absolutely impressed with the first volume of the FLCL DVD released in America.

There's a director's commentary track that explains a lot of the seemingly-random stuff that happens in this serious. And if you've seen this series, you KNOW it needs some serious explanation! You should always buy the DVD anyway if you enjoyed the fansubbed version, but this makes the DVD's a real must-have if you liked the fansubs. :P

The packaging is great too. I think it's the same as the Japanese packaging on the outside. On the inside, they translated the various essays from the people involved with the series into English, which is a nice touch. They also included part of the FLCL manga. And that's not a "special edition" or anything since there isn't one for FLCL.

Also, I like it when the "extras" include explanations of some of the Japanese references that would otherwise fly over my head. The printed notes with the Urusei Yatsura DVD's are *excellent*, and the on-screen notes on the Rurouni Kenshin DVD's are pretty good too. Probably the most best/most-extensive notes I've seen though are on the Ebichu fansubs!

In general I prefer explanations/elaborations about the material, rather than production sketches and stuff which really don't do much for me.

Cassandra
10-16-2002, 04:41 PM
I like the GunSmith Cats extras since it has the "making of" documentary included :D

Umi
10-17-2002, 02:22 AM
The Tokyo Babylon DVD is bad.... I think the only extras it had was credits or previews to other anime. And when you start up the DVD... it *starts* with the previews. Arg!

KuroBara
10-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Central Park Media has done a good job with their dvds. I love the silly quizzes at the end of Angel Sanctuary & the Utena movie. AS is also the first anime dvd I ever found with an easter egg. Their art galleries are pretty nice too. Ah! My Goddess the Movie is pretty good too. More art, and an ep of Mini-goddess.

Galaxia
10-18-2002, 07:32 PM
I'd say DVD 2 of Excel Saga with all the....ahem......Menchi products XD. Cowboy Bebop is great too.

Chosuke
10-18-2002, 07:40 PM
I would say X/ONE had the lamest extras,basically they had "full dvd credits WOOHOO" and commercials.

The weiss Kreuz DVDs had awesome extras! My god,some of the screwups I couldn't stop laughing!

Cassandra
10-18-2002, 09:31 PM
GoldenBoy had some pretty lame extras too. Like the "creditless ending." For those of you not familiar with the ending animation of GoldenBoy.....there IS NONE. The credits roll across a black screen with the song playing. Therefore, the creditless ending is a black screen with a song.

Cait
10-18-2002, 10:46 PM
The Evangelion: Death and Rebirth DVD Extras were amazing. The audio comentary and the little dictonary of terms made the DVD worth it's weight in gold IMO. My mind was truly expanded after those.

KaineMaxwell
10-21-2002, 09:08 PM
The Mobile Suit Encyclopedias in the Gundam 08th MS Team dvds are great too.