PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Do This?

Big Sister
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm working a full-time job right now. Five days a week, about 7 hours a day. Now, this doesn't sound so bad - but considering I spent two hours in a car everyday as well, I would up that to 9 hours. My workplace is filled with horrible, greasy fast food. I ate it for a while, but now I've wisened up and normally for lunch I'll indulge in a big thing of iceberg lettuce and a simple bowl of soup (if they have anything I like that day). I'll chug down water most of the day, too, but they do have some juices I like in the cooler ( I try not to indulge in those too much, either).

I'm a cashier at my job. Which means I stand around a lot. I can't really do anything else. When I go home - depending on what shift I work - it could be 7:00 or 9:00. I'm tired and don't want to work out.

I'll be starting college in Sept. For me, it'll be easier to workout there because I'll have hours gaps between classes. I can get up and walk around when I done doing homework or whatnot.

I try to eat as healthy as I can, and I don't eat very many sweets anymore. So, does somebody mind imparting some advice?

Kasinator
08-16-2010, 12:44 PM
for the meantime, it sounds to me like strictly dieting would be your very best option. pack your lunch and dinner if necessary. check out my what to eat link on my signature for all the rest of the details.

Rjr3412
08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Its all about making a commitment and working towards your goals. Most days of the week I'm working ten hour days, and spend about an hour each way on the commute.

If you really want to make a significant change you have to make a plan and stick with it. Figure out some healthy nutritious stuff you can eat, and pack it and bring it along.

Iceberg lettuce - Is basically fiber and water, virtually no nutritional value. Don't waste your time on this, up it to romaine or spinach or something like that. The darker the leafy color the more nutritious it tends to be.

Soups - For the most part, any pre-packaged soup has a ton, and I mean a ton, of sodium. This isn't strictly unhealthy, as younger people (which you qualify as) don't really have to worry about health aspects with salt intake, but it will make you retain water. That means you'll be bloated and look like you carry more weight than you need to. Some salt is good, too much is not.

When you're a beginner its all about making small steps and sticking to them. Too often people try to make a huge dramatic change in their lifestyle, find its hard and give up.
Start by packing some food, it doesn't have to be perfect, just decent, varied and tasty. You can work up to macronutrient breakdowns and carb-cycling later, lol. The first step is just building good habits.

As far as working out, decide that till you start school you have to go at least twice a week. No excuses, plan ahead what day and time you'll go, and then go.

Once you hit school, especially once you have some say in your schedule find a regular time that you can work out and then go 3 or 4 times a week. Or have 2 of your own workout and go to some yoga/aerobics classes that they'll offer.

So just remember - Start small, stick with it, eat enough and plan ahead.
Best of luck.

DevTehFiend
08-16-2010, 02:12 PM
While standing at the register you can do palates breathing. It works the abs a little bit and it's what a lot of instructors recommend you do.