PDA

View Full Version : Costume making newb needs help: Uncle Iroh, Katara and Momo

Uncle_Iroh
08-19-2010, 04:35 PM
HI,

I just want to say this looks like a fantastic and very creative community, props to all on here.

Now, i'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. My wife and I are planning on going to a costume party this year, and the theme is Avatar:TLA. I loved the series and we want to go as our favorite characters. I would like to go as Iroh (Book 1, Fire Nation uniform) and she will be going as Katara (Water Tribe). We will also be taking our son possibly, and if we do, we want him to be Momo (he's 3).

I don't really know the first thing when it comes to designing or making my own costume, so i'm hoping someone can step me in the right direction on where to find information, and maybe some online sites to get some accessories from (bald cap, wig, and beard for Iron, for example).

Any help is appreciated, we are really looking forward to doing this.

Cheers,

-Derrick (aka, Uncle_Iroh

harmonyisarine
08-19-2010, 09:35 PM
The nice thing, then, is that a lot of the costumes in Avatar are derived from traditional clothes, which means patterns are available. My biggest advice for the sewing aspect would be to make sure you get good cloth for it. A nice, natural looking cotton or silk (bit pricier and harder to find the needed colors) for Iroh and linen/wool or linen (or a heavier cotton if necessary) for Katara look marvelous. And if you need to dye, RIT dye worked very well for me for linen, cotton, and wool.

I'll be of more help if you have more specific sewing questions, or when this drowsiness wears off. ^_^;;

vtxrider
01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
My wife made costumes for my daughter and I for the Otakon 2010 at Baltimore MD. I tried to find a suitable beard and wig for Iroh. Finally ended up growing my own beard (still growing for AnimeNext 2011) and the bald wig with hair I bought looked so bad I went with my own hair. Since I actually look like Iroh I got away with it and couldn't get more than 10 feet at a time without being stopped for pictures by other cosplayers. Enjoyed this so much I plan to attend a new convention every year with my kids. Good luck!

harmonyisarine
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
My wife made costumes for my daughter and I for the Otakon 2010 at Baltimore MD. I tried to find a suitable beard and wig for Iroh. Finally ended up growing my own beard (still growing for AnimeNext 2011) and the bald wig with hair I bought looked so bad I went with my own hair. Since I actually look like Iroh I got away with it and couldn't get more than 10 feet at a time without being stopped for pictures by other cosplayers. Enjoyed this so much I plan to attend a new convention every year with my kids. Good luck!

I remember you! I was the Katara with a group of Sokka, Toph, Cabbage Merchant and Zuko in his royal robes. You two were awesome, and you were the only Iroh we saw (the white lotus tile was awesome).

vtxrider
01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
I remember all of you also. Your group really made our trip enjoyable. my daughter and I will be at Animenext in June. Have a great day! hope to see you all again.

vtxrider
06-03-2013, 09:34 PM
It's been a while but we are going to Animenext soon (for the last time) and I hope to make at least 1 day at Otakon in August. Will you 2 be there at either event? if so I'll be sure to look for you both.

vtxrider
06-03-2013, 09:36 PM
It's been a while but we are going to Animenext soon (for the last time) and I hope to make at least 1 day at Otakon in August. Will you 2 be there at either event? if so I'll be sure to look for you both.I remember you! I was the Katara with a group of Sokka, Toph, Cabbage Merchant and Zuko in his royal robes. You two were awesome, and you were the only Iroh we saw (the white lotus tile was awesome).

ichigo_m.
06-03-2013, 09:56 PM
The real question is do you know things about sewing? Because if you don't than the things I'm about to say with make no sense.

First off my observation with Avatar costumes is that many of them are loose but have belts that make them more form fitting.
With Iroh's outfit I would find a pattern for a loose fitting dress (such as those dresses they give you in hospitals) or make your own (For a loose fitting outfit it'll pretty much be a big square with sleeves). Then I would use craft foam to make the "armor". Here's a good tutorial for that [http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html]

Katara is pretty much the same thing. When I made mine it started as a bit rectangle that I was able to wrap around my body. After that I cut the slits in the skirt and shapped the top. The belt is what gives it most of it's form. (:

Good luck!! (:

harmonyisarine
06-09-2013, 12:07 PM
It's been a while but we are going to Animenext soon (for the last time) and I hope to make at least 1 day at Otakon in August. Will you 2 be there at either event? if so I'll be sure to look for you both.

We won't be at Animenext and, sadly, neither of us can make Otakon this year. Our Zuko got a new job and isn't allowed to take time off for 90 days, and Otakon falls just within those 90 days. Some jobs would bend for it, but this group seems sort of strict. I was planning on going without him, but my little sister is getting married over in Washington state the weekend after. After a month of trying to plan both, I realized it just isn't practical. ;_; I'm pretty bummed that I won't be there. You'll have to enjoy Otakon extra for us!

(and sorry for my long absence from here, I've been busy trying to apply to jobs. I use coscom as my reward if I do X number of apps a day... I hardly ever met that goal in a timely manner.)

vtxrider
06-09-2013, 11:32 PM
:)Theres always other Cons. Katsucon, Saikoucon, and others. I know all about how life can get in your way sometimes but let me know if you both get a chance to go again. Thanks for getting back to me.

harmonyisarine
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
This is the first time life's made me cancel a con and I'm bummed. But we'll have even better costumes next year (along with a full day of Avatar, of course). I'll let you know when we have any con plans settled.

vtxrider
06-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks. Always nice to see you.