PDA

View Full Version : Would it be impossible to sew?

excitingemu
08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Okay so my friends and I want to do Kuroshitsuji cosplay, and I want to be crossdressing Ciel. I've looked up the dress on ebay, but they are all pretty expensive. My mom wants me to sew it, so I was just wondering how much work it would be? Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anybody made this cosplay, or something similar?

Chocolahime
08-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello there, just to let you know for next time you should post a picture along with your post for people who are unfamiliar with the series. :)
In regards to the sewing do you have any experience with sewing? Would this be your first project? I think as a first time sewer this would be a bit of an ambitious costume to make. The dress has lots of ruffles and gathers, not to mention you would need to make a hoop skirt.
So... ya where would you say your skill level is at?

excitingemu
08-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Hm..well I have made a few things before. Nothing complicated. My mom can sew, so I would get lots of help from her. And next time I will post a picture. Thank you!

Chocolahime
08-19-2010, 04:24 PM
If you are willing to work hard and have your mom help then I think it is certainly possible. I just wouldn't try and get it done for a con this summer or anything like that. I think it'd be less stressful not to put a date on it.
In this case I suggest you look at this and see how you feel about doing stuff like it:
Hoop Skirt (http://www.farthingales.on.ca/simplicity_9764.php)
Gathers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jlXqkwaqTM)
I think looking through some of the lolita forums about sewing techniques would be helpful.
Try making some gathers on scraps.
I can't really tell you much more though since I suck at sewing :P Hopefully someone more skilled will come along

excitingemu
08-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Okay well thank you very much :)

Brsis
08-19-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm working on this dress at the moment, actually. It's simpler than it looks - I was expecting lots of pattern adjustments and fiddling, but I actually had the first mock-up draped in an afternoon - but at the same time, a number of the details involve fairly advanced techniques (For example, the bias-cut back drapes, the gather details, the pin-tucks, the white skirt should actually be a three-tiered petticoat with an overskirt, I'm pretty sure she was inspired by the grand bustle hoop skirts and the ruffles actually look more like box-pleats...).

I have seen more and less accurate versions of the dress, and to be honest all of them end up looking quite pretty. I've seen it done several times at conventions, and they've all been 'simplified', with, for example, straight ruching instead of gathers, trim instead of the pin-tucks, the skirt amalgamated into one with the tiers taken off the back, etc - and they're still recognisable, and they're still very lovely, but they're a lot easier to cut, fit and sew. Unless you're a psychotic die-hard for accuracy, you can find simpler ways of doing the difficult things that won't look exactly the same, but will be close enough.

excitingemu
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
My mom said the same thing about it being simpler than it looks. I was shocked when she said that, but I'm glad to hear it from someone who is making it. Thank you so much for the advice.

Brsis
08-20-2010, 07:14 AM
No problem. I'm testing out the journal function on this site by blogging about progress on a weekly basis, more or less - there's a fair bit of rambling and I keep lapsing into technical stuff (Last time it was algebra) but if you come across any specific problems, feel free to send me a message.

Kelley
08-20-2010, 10:55 PM
It will probably run you over $400 and you'll need a lot of experience going in to do a decent job.

I admit, I can't settle for anything less than as accurate as possible. If I'm going to spend that much time on it, why should I cut corners ? But that's me - it's up to you to decide what sacrifices you're willing to make.

Brsis
08-21-2010, 03:32 AM
I think $400 is a bit of an exaggeration - I'm making mine in good quality silk and it's not going to run to that much. Maybe if I had bought real leather boots and not already owned a corset, but the corset is optional (A good quality basque or longline bra would be perfectly good for most people, especially if you're not used to a corset) and there's actually no good reason to make it in silk rather than, say, cotton (I would advise cotton over polyester. The dress usually looks matt rather than shiny, and properly starched will give you awesome body on the ruffles. I'm interlining over half the dress in cotton for exactly this reason) except I want it as an all-round ball gown as well as cosplay.

Kelley
08-21-2010, 05:17 AM
I remember we did a work-up on the cost of this once, in the Kuroshitsuji thread that came out to $400 or abouts. I don't remember what we actually took into account, though.

Brsis
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
It's conceivable that you COULD make a $400 version, or even spend much more than that - using very high-quality fabric, expensive boots, a really good corset (Well, lets be honest, a really good corset can cost you $400), a steel sprung bustle, custom wig etc - but likewise, especially since I managed to get the hat and boots so cheaply, I could have put this together for under $200-ish (Conversions are icky >.>) if I'd used different fabrics, cheaper roses, a ready-made wig and so on. Still a good couple of weeks hard work either way, though.

kadrienne
08-22-2010, 06:34 PM
It's conceivable that you COULD make a $400 version, or even spend much more than that - using very high-quality fabric, expensive boots, a really good corset (Well, lets be honest, a really good corset can cost you $400), a steel sprung bustle, custom wig etc - but likewise, especially since I managed to get the hat and boots so cheaply, I could have put this together for under $200-ish (Conversions are icky >.>) if I'd used different fabrics, cheaper roses, a ready-made wig and so on. Still a good couple of weeks hard work either way, though.

I can't wait to see your finished dress! I am definitely a "psychotic die-hard for accuracy" kind of seamstress, but I have seen some fabulous costumes where parts were approximated. :) My daughter loves this character, too -- but the likelihood of me getting her into a hoop skirt -- well the chances are about 1%. lol

excitingemu
08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm definately not planning on spending $400 on making it. I want to make it as accurate as I can without spending too much money on it. I'm just worried about the hoop skirt.

Brsis
08-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Ebay is your friend cost wise, if not quality wise. Mine is a hand-me-down from my mother, but I think it cost under 10 new - and it shows. Before I could wear it, I had to finish all the edges to stop them fraying any further (It's some very fine rayon material which is really not suitable) and I'm still not convinced that the waistband it going to make it. After Expo (Or before, if I have time) I'll be taking it apart and using the pieces to make a new one, probably in cotton sheeting, which is cheap and huge.

Alternatively, you can make your own. There's some debate over the shape (Well, no, actually I think it's just me staring at the concept art and going "No, seriously, if you look at it from this angle I swear it's a bustle") but a three-hoop skirt is perfectly adequate. I'm using a three-hoop with a bustle pillow underneath because I hate working with boning and I'm too lazy to make a grand bustle (Which is a cage bustle with a full 360 hoop section at the bottom) that will end up too short to use with any other dresses. You definitely don't need an enormous hoop, or a crinoline, or anything like that.

spazzerbot
09-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I've made this dress actually.
The whole costume cost $170-$200 not anywhere near $400!

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/i/2010/246/7/2/this_place____by_spazzer_bot-d2xy2xy.jpg
You can see a bigger version here: http://spazzer-bot.deviantart.com/art/This-Place-177949798?q=&qo=

It was really a challenge to sew. Mostly in the patience department I guess. Lots of boring pleating and stuff to do.

I was going to buy it from ebay because I didn't think I could do it, but I couldn't find any accurate enough for sale. I'm glad I decided to make my own though. It is really rewarding to wear knowing I made the whole thing myself. ^.^

I used a few modified patterns and made the rest from scratch. (I bought the gloves though)

If you are still looking for help feel free to PM me! I'd be more than happy to share the patterns I used if you're interested.