PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I could pull off spandex?

Leeksoup
08-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi!

So, let me start- I am not super-cut. I'm just not, sadly. However, I'm doing a Snake (Metal Gear) costume in a few weeks, and much of his outfit is spandex, or at least skintight.

It's not *just* spandex- he's wearing things like a bulletproof vest and holsters- but a lot of spandex is visible. Despite me not being completely cut, I have at least the right "shape" for a fit person- like, no huge gut, and my sides taper with my ribcage instead of bulging. I'm a bit... soft, I guess I'd describe it (if you poke my stomach you can go in about 1/2 an inch before hitting muscle), but despite me hitting the gym for this costume I'm about out of time.

However, I haven't bought the fabric quite yet (I know, last minute). So- do you think I'd be able to pull of spandex? Or should I skip on 100% accuracy for the sake of attractiveness and go with a heavier fabric?

Brand
08-19-2010, 04:25 PM
You could make muscles into the suit, then as long as there's like no straight up fat rolls it should look fine.

Leeksoup
08-19-2010, 04:37 PM
You could make muscles into the suit, then as long as there's like no straight up fat rolls it should look fine.

I'm not that skilled at sewing. Making muscles is totally beyond me. :/ I suppose I could put them in, but they wouldn't look natural at all. Think biceps in my armpit. :)

Brand
08-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Well that's why there's all them tutorials. Basically even someone who's cut to hell and back would have trouble looking good in regular spandex. Its not second skin enough to really show the definition.

Kasinator
08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
this board isnt here to judge looks. that goes against my cosplay philosophy. we are here to help you get in shape to add to your craft if you desire.

distantarray
08-20-2010, 12:58 AM
if you post a picture of yourself it'd probably help, but if you sew you could always fold fabric and sew it straight the otherside and put in like a small flexible wire and put some padding under it to make it bulge out XD but the best is going to be under armour compression if you really want it to show, but trust me if you really wear it tight i have a decent six pack but i'm supposed to wear a medium according to their guide, but if I wear a medium I feel like a over stuffed sausage.... and I'm at 10% body fat, usually people who wear compression shirts at the right size should be at 7% body fat.

chances are if you can't see more definition you need to drop some more body fat, cardio and proper nutrition is the key (just keep in mind i don't say diet cause most people who are unaware just eat less. You can actually lose weight by eating more if you know how to do it right)