PDA

View Full Version : Got Fatter After Hitting The Gym. :/

MissJava
08-22-2010, 07:53 PM
My lifestyle is extremely lazy, I got tired of being chubby, so, I started a healthy diet designated for people with hypothyroidism [ according to the doctor, i have it. it's not a self-diagnosis ] and went to the gym for a week straight. I did mostly cardio, lots of stairs, some weight lifting, etc etc.
But I got bigger.
I gained 10 pounds within ONE week and my clothing fit tighter on me.

I really hate this, and now I'm actually scared to work out.
Yes, muscle weighs more than fat, but I haven't lost any fat. I'm just gaining muscle underneath my fat and it's making me look even larger. I can only fit into one pair of my jeans, which give me a fantastic muffin top, and I can only wear my baggy shirts. I feel absolutely disgusting.

I started out at 150 and now I'm a 165 pound 18-year-old girl AFTER dieting and excercising.
It was only a week, but I feel like I'm just going to get even larger if I keep going. This is the biggest I've ever been in my life and my metabolism is supposed to be at it's peak right now.

Needless to say, I'm extremely discouraged.
Wtf do I do??

lunaladyoflight
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Well you bulk up for about a week or two before your additional muscle mass starts to raise your metabolism and burn the existing fat. I had a personal trainer for awhile that told me this.

No one said you were going to drop 10 pounds in the first week. Losing weight is hard. It depends on your chemistry and body build in addition to diet and exercise.

MissJava
08-22-2010, 07:59 PM
I never planned on losing anything the first week, actually, but I certainly didn't expect to gain 10 pounds. I didn't know that was physically possible unless you actually tried.

I'm just really scared that I won't burn anything afterwards because of the hypothyroids and have that muscle bulging out the fat that I do have even more.

lunaladyoflight
08-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I have an abnormally large muscle structure for a woman. I bulk up whenever I start working out after not doing it for awhile. I start to notice inches disappearing after awhile.

C0BALTDragon
08-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Keep at it, your appetite went up and you prolly were eating more food and not noticing, but in the long run it'll start burning off the fat and you will slim down.

Don't step on the scale, just go by what you see in the mirror.

MissJava
08-22-2010, 09:04 PM
@Luna: I know what you mean. I've always had a good muscle build even if I don't work out. Just my fat goes up. x3

@Cobalt: I couldn't care less about my weight so long as I look better. xD Haha. And thank you<3

Y'all have helped me be more motivated. :'D Thank you. <3

happymunchkin
08-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Are you on medication for your hypothyroidism? I have hypothyroid too, and I'm on a prescription for thyroid hormone. If you're not, I'd ask your doctor about it. It should speed up your metabolism = losing weight.

MissJava
08-22-2010, 11:20 PM
He said it's not too severe, and I take the multivitamins he gave me.
It doesn't seem to make a difference, but my dad lost his job and going to the doctor just to lose weight is going to cost us too much since we don't have insurance anymore.
:P

distantarray
08-23-2010, 12:50 AM
even with hyper thyroidism I'm pretty sure it's impossible to gain 15 pounds of fat, let alone 15 pounds of muscle. Especially being a girl, a man with high testosterone low estrogen levels can hope to build 15 pounds of muscle mass in 8-12 months. Without the use of pro-hormones or anabolic steroids.

With hyper thyroid issues you have to watch your diet like crazy, and remember that there are a lot of factors in just weighing yourself, if you weigh yourself naked you can lose 10 pounds on the scale easy, and your supposed to weigh in the morning after you pee and poo after a shower naked bone dry before you eat or drink. Most consistant weight is here.

Regardless 3,500 calories is required for 1 pound of fat, it could vary with hyper thyroid issues but that still means you'll have to intake 52,500 calories to gain 15 pounds, and with weight training if it's muscle you'd have to ingest more than that.

Ditch the scale and get a body fat calculator for a more accurate measurement imo.

MissJava
08-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Dunno, maybe it's just a combination of both?? I really don't know a lot about work-outs and the after effects. :P I just know I got 10 pounds in one week. The other five is stuck after drinking at a party on my birthday. D: I weigh myself a lot [ bad habit ] and this happened within two days.

I don't gradually gain weight, I gain a lot in a short period of time and it stays that way all day. It doesn't fluxaute except for maybe a pound or two between the morning and night.

I don't eat THAT much and it's definitely not unhealthy ... Makes me want to slam my head into a wall. I've only had these problems over the past two years, I used to weigh 135 beginning of my Junior year, and I recently found out that eating spinach, strawberries, and peaches make hypothyroid people gain weight. D:
The fuck??

distantarray
08-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Dunno, maybe it's just a combination of both?? I really don't know a lot about work-outs and the after effects. :P I just know I got 10 pounds in one week. The other five is stuck after drinking at a party on my birthday. D: I weigh myself a lot [ bad habit ] and this happened within two days.

I don't gradually gain weight, I gain a lot in a short period of time and it stays that way all day. It doesn't fluxaute except for maybe a pound or two between the morning and night.

I don't eat THAT much and it's definitely not unhealthy ... Makes me want to slam my head into a wall. I've only had these problems over the past two years, I used to weigh 135 beginning of my Junior year, and I recently found out that eating spinach, strawberries, and peaches make hypothyroid people gain weight. D:
The fuck??

peaches and strawberries I can understand but spinach? what the f? is right

Rjr3412
08-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Two things come to mind with this:

How much water do you drink each day? If you are starting to work out, you really should make sure you are getting ~1 gallon or more water in you throughout the day. If you take a normal water bottle, and fill it about 6-8 times, thats about right for daily intake. The only ONLY only way you could actually gain 10 pounds, muscle or fat, if properly weighing yourself in the morning, is through water retention. If you don't drink enough your body will make you bloat, which isn't pretty, so drink some more. Just don't overdo it.

Did you change any part of your diet? Typically starting a workout regimen will greatly increase your normal appetite. Your body needs a lot more calories to make up for what you burned off, as well as rebuilding all the muscle that you broke down in your workouts. Are you timing your macronutrients correctly? Basically making sure you get some carbs, some protein and some healthy fats in each and every meal? Did you get some good protein in after your workouts, or just carbs? Whatever you eat right after a workout tends to trigger an insulin spike, which helps spread the nutrients throughout your body. You eat good stuff at the right time, you get the most benefit, you eat bad stuff and you probably just wasted a whole bunch of time and energy.

If you have thyroid issues, you really should be very careful about your diet and your expectations in the gym. And don't expect anything too fast, but thats a solid rule for everyone.

And get off the scale. Who cares what number it says? If you really want to track yourself, either get a measuring tape (you are a cosplayer right? lol) and take key measurements once every week or two. Same time of day, same day of the week, consistently. And don't touch anything else in between.

If you want an even better method, get a digital camera, strip down to gym clothes and get a sibling/room mate/friend to take a picture of you in a few different poses every two weeks. You see yourself in the mirror every day. If you only see yourself every two weeks its a lot easier to spot changes.

Just build the good habits, and don't sweat the little things in between. Best of luck!

MissJava
08-23-2010, 12:12 PM
@distant: Yea ... I'm not completely understanding why, either, so I can't go and figure out which ones are bad by common sense either. D: I just know the thyroids are like little sacks spread around your body that basically help filtering out and keeping your homeostasis in balance including your metabolism [ i only paid half-attention in anatomy, so this may be off lol ]

@Rjr: @ __ @ Oh my good God, that's a lot to keep in mind ... Haha. Plain water, I don't drink any, but I use this mix that makes it actually have a taste. I know it's 5 calories, but I can't remember the other details in it. I drink at least four large glasses a day [ large meaning about 16oz ] I drink that stuff all day. :'D

I can't remember if I changed my diet. The only thing I remember is that after we worked out, we'd be starving so we'd go get something from like Subway or a salad--it was always healthy and low-fat, but I'm not too sure how healthy after reading over the foods that were bad for me. D:

I make all of my own meals, so I always including a meat and greens, usually on top of brown rice. I've found that the way my Vietnamese friend eats is EXTREMELY healthy, and things like Pho you can eat a lot without getting a lot of calories. Their noodles are made from rice instead of pasta. :o

Really, the only bad eatting habit I have is eating a lot of bread and cheese. I replace the bread with whole wheat, and try to find some cottage cheese or a different low-fat one to replace it.

And like I said, the numbers really don't bother me, but all my clothes fit tighter and I have a muffin top now. D: I just step on the scale a lot because it's in my bathroom and I just hop on when I pass it. Haha. [ i'll think about moving it ]

I'm used to being bigger because I've always had a good, thick layer of muscle--even when I was thin, my jeans always got stuck at my calves because they were bigger than most girls and a lot of shirts didn't fit my arms because they were too muscular haha--and I really like the look, so I don't mind it one bit. I don't want to look frail and dainty, at all, it's not attractive to me. x3

The hardest part I'm having is the friggin' DIET. D:<
Any one knows of a good place where they blatently tell you WHAT is so bad about spinach that I can't eat it, PLEASE tell me. I'm extremely confused about this. D':

Kasinator
08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
click the what to eat in my signature if you are looking for some diet help and also check out our nutrition guides on this board. :)

DevTehFiend
08-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I just got measured Saturday for my Howl-O-Scream uniform and discovered I gained some inches (some really means a lot) since last I measured. Granted I measured a while ago and just last week I did let myself slip into some unhealthy eating habits, but it still seemed like a lot when I still wore my same clothes without issue. I talked to my dad about it because I was feeling very self conscious about it and he kind of shyly pointed out, "Well... you are on your period... aren't you?"

So, you know, depending on when that time of the month is for you, it could mean you're retaining a bit of extra water, which would make your clothes feel tighter, and like other people said, weighing your self is very unreliable. Things like what you're wearing, when you last ate or drank, things like that could affect the numbers.

GlassCannon
08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I've had hypothyroid for about 12 years, and been on medication for 7. Sudden weight gain is a symptom of hypothyroid trouble, so it might be worth going to the doctor -- NOT for weight loss, but because your thyroid is exhibiting new symptoms and might be more out of whack than the last time you were tested. You should be getting your thyroid levels tested every 6 months at a minimum, to watch for changes and start/increase/decrease medication.

Dieting with hypothyroid can be very difficult, and you have to be EXTREMELY careful with any sort of exercise. The thyroid is a singular gland in your neck, but the hormones it produces are used in every cell of your body. HypO thyroid (not hypER) means that you don't make enough of the hormones you need, which will slow down your metabolism, AND slow down the rate at which your muscles repair themselves after working out. You'll also have less energy, generally, and digest food slower, which can compound weight loss issues.

Personally, I can't handle much exercise (but I have other health issues in addition to hypothyroid), so I focus primarily on my diet, and only very light exercise like walking. There are foods that will hurt your already damaged thyroid -- spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, seaweed, anything with iodine, etc: "goitrogenic" foods -- but fruit is not going to make you gain weight. My favorite way to drop a few pounds while staying healthy and not overtaxing my body is to go on a "fruit fast" where I eat only fruit (and drink lots and lots of water) for a couple of days. It speeds my digestion up and makes me feel better in general. Add in 20 minute walks every day and maybe some light weight exercises for my arms, and I can lose a little bit of weight while feeling better, not worse.

It's also been recently proven (Time magazine article on it (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html)) that people who start working out usually up their food intake so much that they eat more calories than they burned. So if you were eating, say, 2000 calories a day before you started working out, then worked out enough to burn 500 calories (just using nice round numbers), the study found that the average person would then consume 2600 calories -- 600 more than they did before they started working out, and 100 more than they burned, on top of their normal intake. This is something to be aware of whenever you start working out, especially with the slow metabolism and slow muscle healing caused by thyroid disease -- and going to Subway after a work out is exactly the culprit.

My advise would be to read up on thyroid issues online and educate yourself about goitrogenic foods and the current standards for thyroid levels from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Last time I checked, the AACE says that anything over 3.0 TSH is hypothyroid that should be medicated -- but most labs and many doctors still use the 10.0+ TSH levels that were standard in the 1980s. There's a lot of great info on hypothyroid online, since most hypothyroid patients have to advocate for themselves. thryoid.about.com used to have a great community for this sort of thing, but I haven't been by there in years. Then take that knowledge and go to your doctor, get your levels re-tested and *get a copy of the test results*, so you can see the TSH numbers for yourself.

MissJava
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
@Glass: Thank you so much. :'D Yeah, there are a lot of things I still don't know about it, like getting retested every 6 months. D: I didn't even know wtf hypothyroids were before he told me, so I'm extremely uneducated about it. ANY information is probably new to me and very much appreciated. x3

AWWW!! Seaweed, too!? D': I love seaweed ... orz I had a friggin' seaweed salad today, too. Fml.

I have NO clue what TSH is ... at all. Science was always my worst subject, especially health science. D': I really have to study more about this ...

/headdesk
I want a magic pill. Lol.

LaPetiteSalope
08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
seaweed salad isn't great for you since its loaded with sodium. Sodium is a significant factor on retaining water weight. Also, I found out eating too much spinach isn't good for you. It raises your cholesterol which causes high blood pressure and heart complications. That "weight" you put on is just muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't work out as rigorously and take a day or two off and you'll start seeing results. If you still don't see results, I suggest you limit (not eliminate) your carb intake. Don't forget to keep hydrated. Hope it helps! :D

distantarray
08-25-2010, 02:38 AM
I've had hypothyroid for about 12 years, and been on medication for 7. Sudden weight gain is a symptom of hypothyroid trouble, so it might be worth going to the doctor -- NOT for weight loss, but because your thyroid is exhibiting new symptoms and might be more out of whack than the last time you were tested. You should be getting your thyroid levels tested every 6 months at a minimum, to watch for changes and start/increase/decrease medication.

Dieting with hypothyroid can be very difficult, and you have to be EXTREMELY careful with any sort of exercise. The thyroid is a singular gland in your neck, but the hormones it produces are used in every cell of your body. HypO thyroid (not hypER) means that you don't make enough of the hormones you need, which will slow down your metabolism, AND slow down the rate at which your muscles repair themselves after working out. You'll also have less energy, generally, and digest food slower, which can compound weight loss issues.

Personally, I can't handle much exercise (but I have other health issues in addition to hypothyroid), so I focus primarily on my diet, and only very light exercise like walking. There are foods that will hurt your already damaged thyroid -- spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, seaweed, anything with iodine, etc: "goitrogenic" foods -- but fruit is not going to make you gain weight. My favorite way to drop a few pounds while staying healthy and not overtaxing my body is to go on a "fruit fast" where I eat only fruit (and drink lots and lots of water) for a couple of days. It speeds my digestion up and makes me feel better in general. Add in 20 minute walks every day and maybe some light weight exercises for my arms, and I can lose a little bit of weight while feeling better, not worse.

It's also been recently proven (Time magazine article on it (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html)) that people who start working out usually up their food intake so much that they eat more calories than they burned. So if you were eating, say, 2000 calories a day before you started working out, then worked out enough to burn 500 calories (just using nice round numbers), the study found that the average person would then consume 2600 calories -- 600 more than they did before they started working out, and 100 more than they burned, on top of their normal intake. This is something to be aware of whenever you start working out, especially with the slow metabolism and slow muscle healing caused by thyroid disease -- and going to Subway after a work out is exactly the culprit.

My advise would be to read up on thyroid issues online and educate yourself about goitrogenic foods and the current standards for thyroid levels from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Last time I checked, the AACE says that anything over 3.0 TSH is hypothyroid that should be medicated -- but most labs and many doctors still use the 10.0+ TSH levels that were standard in the 1980s. There's a lot of great info on hypothyroid online, since most hypothyroid patients have to advocate for themselves. thryoid.about.com used to have a great community for this sort of thing, but I haven't been by there in years. Then take that knowledge and go to your doctor, get your levels re-tested and *get a copy of the test results*, so you can see the TSH numbers for yourself.

Great advices and nice to see a person that knows more on the hypothyroid issue, but on the part of times magazine and people eating more when they workout. It's actually HEALTHY for most people to eat more while working out. It's also great to note that just cause you burned 100 calories on the treadmill doesn't mean you burn only 100 calories through the entire day. Your metabolism goes up for the whole day, and repairing building and maintaining muscles takes extra calories as well. 1 pound of muscle requires 50 calories a day for maintance, so if you added 1 pound of muscle you can eat an extra 1,500 calories a month.

People tend to eat more after they workout is cause your body knows what it needs, people have cravings depending on what foods can provide what nutrients your body is lacking. People who eat healthy and take multi-vitamins daily tend to have a lot of severe food cravings from what I've seen. It's when people eat terribly or pregnant that they have crazy cravings the most. General rule of thumb though, if your hungry eat. Just don't try to eat bad and it should be fine. Although I'm not sure about hypothyroidism but for the average person this is the beach approach for healthy fat loss. (not weight loss)

okageo
08-25-2010, 01:09 PM
it would seems your calories intake is off, diet is a big part of losing weights 70% diet 20% exercise and 10% supplements. check how much you should be taking in calories http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm it shows how much calories you should be eating to lose weight or Maintenance.

and drinking water through out the whole day increase your metabolism by 30%

distantarray
08-25-2010, 04:34 PM
it would seems your calories intake is off, diet is a big part of losing weights 70% diet 20% exercise and 10% supplements. check how much you should be taking in calories http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm it shows how much calories you should be eating to lose weight or Maintenance.

and drinking water through out the whole day increase your metabolism by 30%

10% supplements? I don't really don't agree with something that you don't need. The calculator is only based on inactive people becoming active trying to lose weight. doesn't mean it's nessasarily helpful either since it can push your body into a rough patch by taking in too little calories and everyone's bodies are vastly different.

Following a basic calculator like that is trying to follow BMI as a measure of your bodyfat. Just doesn't work properly. Personally imo this calculator looks like it's only really accurate for true endomorphs.

Best advice I can give is don't diet at all, and start cutting down calories as you go naturally. Your body creates cravings cause it knows what foods are rich in nutrients we're lacking. If you suddenly change your diet competely and don't give your body time to adjust then your body will just crave things it knows where to get them from, from the junk you been eating most your life. If you eat the same, you will start losing fat naturally, when you hit a plateau start cutting little by little.

Although most people will start cutting way before thinking this soda is gonna take me 20minutes on the treadmill..... I'll just have some tea...

okageo
08-30-2010, 02:09 AM
@Glass: Thank you so much. :'D Yeah, there are a lot of things I still don't know about it, like getting retested every 6 months. D: I didn't even know wtf hypothyroids were before he told me, so I'm extremely uneducated about it. ANY information is probably new to me and very much appreciated. x3

AWWW!! Seaweed, too!? D': I love seaweed ... orz I had a friggin' seaweed salad today, too. Fml.

I have NO clue what TSH is ... at all. Science was always my worst subject, especially health science. D': I really have to study more about this ...

/headdesk
I want a magic pill. Lol.

magic pills do exist, most celebrity use em to lose 30-50 lbs in 2months :p and the risk of that magic pills is heart attack and it is also banned in u.s.

kristihasukie
08-30-2010, 04:33 AM
I want thos MAGIC PILLS!

Sethora
08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
magic pills do exist, most celebrity use em to lose 30-50 lbs in 2months :p and the risk of that magic pills is heart attack and it is also banned in u.s.

There is no such thing as a magic pill. You must still eat properly and exercise in order for them to work. They are an ASSISTANT to weight loss. That's why so many people sue weight loss companies. They expect instant results if they eat the food, then sit around all day. It doesn't work that way, so please, kindly get your head out of your butt. No disrespect, but again, like I've said in other threads, please do your homework before you assume something is correct.

Secondly, take Glass's advice - that's the only person that can truly guide you, because of your health problems. I agree that there is no way you could have gained 10 pounds of muscle in a week. It just doesn't work like that. GO to your doctor, tell them what happened, and tell them that you're concerned.

Thirs, it's reccommended that, at most, 1600 calories a day is what you're allowed as intake in order to lose weight. My mom's intake, because she wants to loose more than me and faster, is down to 1200 or so a day. I'm very proud of her. You may want to aim for the lowe of these two marks, due to your health issue. Also, drinking water about a half hour before meals can help make you feel more full by the time your meal time rolls around. Start a food-intake schedule. It'll help.

Also, do exercises like the eliptical machine or cycling. Aerobics are better for weightloss, as you use your whole body for them, instead of just one group of muscles. I like the elipticals or stair machines, but really, it's up to you which you prefer. I find the bikes uncomfortable. In the long run, do what works for you, but also do some research.

knightmare6
08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
1) Focus more on cardio exercises than strength-training
2) Drink lots of water, on average 8 glasses (girls) or 10 glasses (guys)
3) Sprinkle a little bit of non-iodized salt in the water (if you can taste it, you've added too much) to avoid hyponatremia from drinking too much water

MissJava
09-09-2010, 01:53 AM
I don't usually necro threads, but after a weekend at AnimeFest with constant walking and dancing, very low-fat foods, and lots of water, I've gained five pounds in four days.

:/

This is getting really upsetting and extremely frustrating. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow.

distantarray
09-09-2010, 02:00 AM
I don't usually necro threads, but after a weekend at AnimeFest with constant walking and dancing, very low-fat foods, and lots of water, I've gained five pounds in four days.

:/

This is getting really upsetting and extremely frustrating. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow.

honestly 5 pounds is nothing to worry about, body can fluxuate more than 5 pounds daily depending on a lot of variables. Did you know that the human body on average stores more than 5 pounds of shit even after you went and took a number 2?

also low fat foods doesn't mean it's not filled with sodium which can help vastly in water retention, and a lot of other variables. Personally if diet and exercise for a few weeks have shown no visible progress or on the scale I'd call the doctor, not for a 4 day mini-vacation.

MissJava
09-09-2010, 02:08 AM
That's what I thought last time, too, when this happened and it never went away.
It hasn't fluctuated but a pound or two in the morning or evenings.

170 is a freaking ridiculous number.

I'll be drinking a lot of water to flush out that sodium, I can see that being the issue, so if it stays by this time next week I call her.

distantarray
09-09-2010, 02:29 AM
That's what I thought last time, too, when this happened and it never went away.
It hasn't fluctuated but a pound or two in the morning or evenings.

170 is a freaking ridiculous number.

I'll be drinking a lot of water to flush out that sodium, I can see that being the issue, so if it stays by this time next week I call her.

best way to deal with sodium level is to sweat it out literally, most healthy people can usually sweat out the excess sodium in their bodies. Shit I don't eat much sodium but on my black tank tops I have a white mark around the area where I sweat lol. kinda gay I'm sure if I tasted it, it'd probably be like pure salt lol

MissJava
09-09-2010, 02:35 AM
o: Really now??
I'll try that, then.

I miss the sauna from my old gym. xD