PDA

View Full Version : Exercising on a Rainy Day?

DevTehFiend
08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
So, my plan last night, as I was laying in bed, listening to the rain, was to do my cardio today since I did a LOT of weightlifting this weekend (helped my dad install our new drier and lugged musical instruments back and forth between mine and my geek's house) and I wake up to the same sound of domesticated animals falling from the sky (not just cats and dogs but ALL of the domesticated animals!) Is there any exercises that I can do indoors that either won't strain the muscles I've already worked over the weekend (mostly arms, legs, and back, I think, based on where I'm feeling most soar) or will be good cardio?

For the record, before anyone says jump rope, there is not really that much room in the house and I don't know where my dad has hidden that thing.

Now, I know that, this being Florida, waiting two minutes would help, but I've been doing that for an hour and the only change the weather has had has been 'raining hard' and 'raining harder.'

distantarray
08-25-2010, 02:41 AM
So, my plan last night, as I was laying in bed, listening to the rain, was to do my cardio today since I did a LOT of weightlifting this weekend (helped my dad install our new drier and lugged musical instruments back and forth between mine and my geek's house) and I wake up to the same sound of domesticated animals falling from the sky (not just cats and dogs but ALL of the domesticated animals!) Is there any exercises that I can do indoors that either won't strain the muscles I've already worked over the weekend (mostly arms, legs, and back, I think, based on where I'm feeling most soar) or will be good cardio?

For the record, before anyone says jump rope, there is not really that much room in the house and I don't know where my dad has hidden that thing.

Now, I know that, this being Florida, waiting two minutes would help, but I've been doing that for an hour and the only change the weather has had has been 'raining hard' and 'raining harder.'

I live in Florida too and it sucks it's been raining for a while .... but anyways DDR, lunges, squats, push ups, in a constant motion repeating will work as cardio. If you follow most things that Zuzana does on http://www.bodyrock.tv you can do almost everything in doors and I guarenttee you'll get an awesome workout.

HEYOashley
08-25-2010, 03:53 AM
You said no one mention jump rope...but I honestly don't own a jump rope or a DIY jump rope, so I just fake it! Haha :D I even double jump. Same exact workout, just less falling and slapping yourself in the leg.

Kasinator
08-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I second miming jump rope. There is also prison cell pushups as an option!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3EFYP-gYY&fmt=34

listen to the tv when it explains what pam is doing differently for the sake of modifying.

I also recommend bodyrock.tv for in home no equipment exercises as distantarray had already mentioned.

distantarray
08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
you know you realized if you take out arms legs and back, all you have left is chest and abs right? :P since you can't workout your chest without arms, I guess doing as many crunches as fast as you can will do :)

oh a fun cardio you can do is get tennis balls and put them in long tube socks, and do poi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpCZkSVLfGo

then after a while you work upto fire poi =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilfvH6souuQ

The Hag
08-25-2010, 08:37 AM
My running days are behind me, but unless there was a hurricane warning, i just ran in the rain. A baseball cap (worn frontwards!) will keep most of the water off your face.

distantarray
08-25-2010, 08:40 AM
My running days are behind me, but unless there was a hurricane warning, i just ran in the rain. A baseball cap (worn frontwards!) will keep most of the water off your face.

so you don't run anymore unless there's a hurricane coming? are you running away from it or towards it? -_-;

The Hag
08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
LOL! I think you misunderstood my post. I don't run anymore at all (at least, not outside, I'll still do a little on treadmills) due to being old and having issues with my joints. When I did run, I didn't mind running in the rain unless it was really storming (i.e. lightning, torrential downpour). When I was a kid, my mother used to say, "You're not made out of sugar. You won't melt." I took her advice to heart!

distantarray
08-25-2010, 09:24 AM
LOL! I think you misunderstood my post. I don't run anymore at all (at least, not outside, I'll still do a little on treadmills) due to being old and having issues with my joints. When I did run, I didn't mind running in the rain unless it was really storming (i.e. lightning, torrential downpour). When I was a kid, my mother used to say, "You're not made out of sugar. You won't melt." I took her advice to heart!

since your name and melting kinda pushes me to make the connection to the wicked witch :P

I'm just teasin about the running part, I knew what you were saying, I'm just bored so I thought I'd be a smart ass =)

DevTehFiend
08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the tips. ^^ Now that it's sunny though I'm gonna go outside and mow the yard before it starts raining again.

DevTehFiend
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I live in Florida too and it sucks it's been raining for a while .... but anyways DDR, lunges, squats, push ups, in a constant motion repeating will work as cardio. If you follow most things that Zuzana does on http://www.bodyrock.tv you can do almost everything in doors and I guarenttee you'll get an awesome workout.

That's awesome, about where in Florida do you live (if you don't mind my asking. ^^) and thanks for the link ^^ I'll look into that and try and find my DDR mats.

distantarray
08-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the tips. ^^ Now that it's sunny though I'm gonna go outside and mow the yard before it starts raining again.
well there's a form of cardio pushing a damn lawn mower around wet grass :P

That's awesome, about where in Florida do you live (if you don't mind my asking. ^^) and thanks for the link ^^ I'll look into that and try and find my DDR mats.

Sarasota, hour south of Tampa u?

DevTehFiend
08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
well there's a form of cardio pushing a damn lawn mower around wet grass :P

Sarasota, hour south of Tampa u?

Seffener/Mango, bout half an hour away from Tampa when traffic's good.

distantarray
08-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Seffener/Mango, bout half an hour away from Tampa when traffic's good.

wow I drive by mango all the time in the way to Orlando no wonder you went to Metrocon XD

DevTehFiend
08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
wow I drive by mango all the time in the way to Orlando no wonder you went to Metrocon XD

Cool! ^^ What are you doing in Orlando?

distantarray
08-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Cool! ^^ What are you doing in Orlando?

friends since I used to live there, or whenever I'm bored of Sarasota which is A LOT XD

DevTehFiend
08-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Cool, maybe you and your friends could come by Howl-O-Scream while I"m working. XD Can't guarantee you'd see me since I'm subbing and could be anywhere, but I feel the need to promote it. That and I feel like it's getting back on topic because there's going to be a loooot of physical activity involved. I'm constantly getting told by friends who are doing it as well (and have done it for years), "You'll mostly be doing this or that, but sometimes you may have to do this, and then there's that...." and I'm just listening with wide eyes and thinking, "This is going to involve sweating isn't it?"

My least favorite part about being physically active. -_-