PDA

View Full Version : Wig Supply Suggestions?

Eqqplant
09-30-2003, 01:55 AM
I am planning to buy a white wig from Amphigory after reading all of the suggestions and seeing Katie Bair's page. However, Amphigory doesn't provide any "wig accessories," I'll call them since I don't know what to say. Since wig quality varies so much, I can't help but think that wig accessories would have different qualities. Hopefully I can get some suggestions though.

For example, a wig cap sounds like a lovely idea. My hair can escape anything so a wig would be no problem. Does anyone know a good site to find things like a wig cap (white would be good) and wig shampoo and a good silicone spray? Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for things I might need to take care of a shoulder length wig?

I've searched through much of this forum and couldn't the answers so if there's already a thread on it and I just didn't find it, please direct me there. ^_^

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sarcasm-hime
09-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Can't help you with the shampoo or silicone spray, as I need to get some myself, but wig caps usually come in shades of brown or black. Brand doesn't matter so much with them, as long as they fit nice and snug to keep your hair contained. You can probably order a decent wig cap from pretty much any wig site.

Fénicia
09-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Just use a soft hairshampoo to wash your wig and rinse with hairsoftner.

You can make your own wig cap out of a pair of pantyhose.

ElleHazard
09-30-2003, 02:11 PM
http://tartblossom.com/ has wig caps, shampoo (Brandywine, good stuff), and silicone spray.

I haven't used the silicon spray, it's pretty dangerous stuff for handling, I'm a little afraid to let it do more than sit there on my desk.

edit: You didn't ask, but they also have wig heads. It's wise to own one for at least every long wig you own, but they're nice for short wigs too.
I might advise you from buying a wig from tart blossom if you're tempted. They have nice styles, but are made from acrylic, which isn't exactly the best quality stuff.

Koumori
09-30-2003, 02:22 PM
You can buy wig heads at Sally's, and silicone sprays, brushes, etc. at wig suppliers. In particular, www.wilshirewigs.com has a great selection of accessories, heads, caps and styling products.

Eqqplant
10-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestions. ^_^ I'm looking for worn-out pantyhose now. Is Brandywine a good shampoo etc? Both the websites look good.

I didn't know that silicon spray was dangerous. (I know nothing of chemistry...) Is this something I should worry about? One of those, "use in a well ventilated area," things?

Koumori
10-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Honestly, you shouldn't really need to be shampooing your wig very often unless you're planning to restyle it frequently. As long as you store them where they're not going to get too dusty or dirty, they should be just fine.

ElleHazard
10-01-2003, 10:52 PM
Is Brandywine a good shampoo etc? Both the websites look good.

It is. It smells good and the conditioner works nicely to make my wigs softer. I actually bought mine from an eBay seller before I discovered it was on Tart Blossom, but I have ordered other things from that site.

The site Koumori rec'd has some silicone-based styling spray that probably itsn't as harmful. What Tart Blossom sells is industrial kind that's supposed to help lubricate heavy equipment o.o
So it's pretty dangerous stuff as it's not made for styling. Haven't tried it on a wig yet to know how the fibers handle it.