PDA

View Full Version : taking wigs on an airplane?!?

Hand Maid May
09-30-2003, 01:26 AM
I am sure there is a thread like this already, but I couldn't find one...

I need to know what experiences you all have had bringing wigs onto an airplane. For AX I want to fly but my friend is worried that her wig will get screwy, its all big and elaborate.

have you had luck taking wigs on as carry ons?!? If you put them through the bagage system did they turn outokay??

has anyone lost a wig throgh flying?!? o.0

I figured that the airports had cracked down on the amount of stuff you could take on board so I am not even sure how big the carry on could be, hopefully she could just carry it on...but yeah..

so basically I just wanna know if you have ever taken wigs on an airplane, either as a carry on or as luggage, and how it all worked out!!!

THANK YOU!!! ^.^

Ginny
09-30-2003, 02:44 PM
If I've done any styling to the wig that needs to stay in place, I normally pack it in a box (normally the one it came in via UPS since I order all my wigs online) carefully, and just put it in my very large, enforced suitcase. They've always arrived fine. I'm sure there would be no problem with taking it as carry on as well.

Hand Maid May
09-30-2003, 05:25 PM
sweet!! thanks for that!! I was always worried about the baggage claim when the suitcases tumble end over end to reach the bottom...that can't be good, but I guess if she packs it tight enough the wig should be fine!!

I wonder what the biggest size of an acceptable carry on is these days.....?? hmmmmm...

Basic Beecicchi
09-30-2003, 05:28 PM
I made the stupid mistake of carefully packing my wig in my biggest suitcase. SURE, it was placed in with enough popcorn and a fresh cardboard box big enough to fit the bag....and i even tested it about 2 hours before i left Chicago. I'm assuming baggage carriers handled my suitcase with some others and, well. Let's say my wig was crushed and ruined. [I would explain more in detail, but it led to another part of my bad experience @ a-kon 14.]

Again, it's my mistake, and i probably should have seen it coming. [i would have worn it throughout the flight instead]

Koumori
09-30-2003, 06:31 PM
I've sent Belldandy through baggage check in her own box, thoroughly pinned to her wig head, secured in her hairnets, and packed in styrofoam peanuts. She came through fine. You just want to make sure they won't be shaken around a lot, as that will mess up and tangle the hair.

ElleHazard
09-30-2003, 10:37 PM
I'm going to be taking a fairly spiky wig from here (Arizona) to San Francisco in a few weeks. I'm hoping it'll be okay if I keep it in its box and use tape to secure it to the bottom of a hard shell suitcase.
*blink*
That'll be fun to get out....

Wish I COULD take it as a carry-on, but I need to hype myself up before the con. Staring at a wig for 5 hours is all fine and great, but having my laptop is even better.

Oh, and since it HAS been around 9 years since I've last flown... how often is luggage lost? My flight actually stops once (in Utah), and I'd be DEVASTATED if an airport staffer in SF told me "sorry, your bags were sent to Maine from Salt Lake city, they'll be back in a couple of days"
Yes I'm overly paranoid! 0_0 *hyperventilates*

Masako
02-20-2004, 07:32 PM
I transported my wigs from Malaysia to U.S. (a 20 hour flight X_x) and they came out fine. What I did was put them in an empty box that was secured with those papers and those sponge thingies and they I put the word

"FRAGILE COMPUTER PARTS INSIDE" on the top

Which kinda did the trick I guess XD

ZoraLink
02-20-2004, 07:36 PM
If I had a big, difficult wig...even tho it would be a hassle...I would bring it as a carry on...I can't imagine looking for my luggage and it was lost! I might have a pretty big wig once...it's funny how so many guys have really large purple/blue hair.

Gren
02-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I've seen the way people handle baggage. It made me want to attack the employees. A common recommendation is to ship it UPS instead. With all the good "this end up" and "fragiles" to help. Haven't yet gone to far off cons, but when I do, I plan on using this meathod.

Clueless Case
02-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Has ne one worn their wig on board?