PDA

View Full Version : Staff help

Falinadin
08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Hello all! I'm about 95% done with my costume as a whole, but then I had to leave for school >.< I'm going to head back home a few days before Blizzcon though, and finish things up.
My Atiesh needs a bit of help. The wood finish and leather I used for the grips ended up being darker than the in game version here: http://static.wowhead.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/67714.jpg but I figured, that's ok as long as I have just about everything else right. So I started painting the bird on top with that grid pattern, and it looked really stupid for some reason. So then I painted a wood pattern on it, and kind of painted some grooves and highlights and a knot or two in the wood. This looked better imo, gave it more of an organic feel, which works for a druid. But it still wasn't as good as I had hoped, I'm really going for quality here.

So I have a couple questions. 1- should I stick 100% with accuracy and paint the grid pattern on it?
2- if I decide to stay with the wood pattern, do you guys have any tips or tricks on how to paint a realistic wood pattern? Thanks!

darkfireradiant
08-26-2010, 02:44 PM
I haven't really painted wood, but I have painted "metal" looks. Usually it's using a base coat and then dry brushing it with a sponge with silver or something that would give the appearance of metal under the paint. Wood grain would probably work similar to that I think. Base coat, and then painting the wood grain with a dry brush? Hmm...

I would go with the wood grain to give it a more realistic feel to it, maybe trying lightly painting the grid pattern over it? Sorry my advice isn't too helpful, but maybe it'll give some ideas lol.

Falinadin
08-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Haha no problem, I appreciate any help I can get! I'll try to see if I can get my mom to email me pictures of it at the moment so I can show them to you guys.
I am in love with the Druid t8 shoulders that Kamui made, I may try to mimic the wood-like painting on them.

darkfireradiant
08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Haha no problem, I appreciate any help I can get! I'll try to see if I can get my mom to email me pictures of it at the moment so I can show them to you guys.
I am in love with the Druid t8 shoulders that Kamui made, I may try to mimic the wood-like painting on them.

Omigosh yes I love her costumes. I wish I was at that level. I'll try to see what I can dig up on painting wood because I'm going to have the same problem coming up soon because I'm making the bird staff. Er, at the moment I can't remember the name... Oh well, it's a giant wooden bird on a stick haha.

essex1984
08-28-2010, 10:27 PM
What did you make the top of the staff out of?

I would assume from a photo point of view that, less may be more on the staff. If your going to do the grid work it needs to be thiner and less pronounced then you see on the ingame item.

Blizzard has a nasty habit of making every thing in the game just a bit bigger then real life. So the pattern on the staff is darker then you would do it, they do it so pronounced so it shows better in a video game world.

If it looks like wood your like 95% the way there. I saw you were making Atiesh and in my head I saw the staff and untill I opened the link I had no idea there was a checkered pattern on it.

To paint wood its a matter of 3 colors. A base color and a lighter color for hightlights but of the same shade and one darker to create your grain.

Paint the base color and let it dry. Use a thin brush and work your darker color in stripes to give the wood a grain (Less is more here), then use the lighter color along the edge of grain strips to give it depth. I recomend looking at some funiture in the store and taking a few pictures to see how wood looks when treated and finished.

Falinadin
08-29-2010, 01:59 PM
thanks!! I know what you mean, you kind of picture a wood bird in your head, then you look at the picture and realize it has this grid pattern on it.
I think you are also right about video game design. The bird is maybe supposed to be just wood, but they added the grid to give it some depth and pop?

Falinadin
08-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I made the bird out of foam and paper mache. I left it a little bit bumpy and rough, trying to give it an organic look : /
I'm hoping my mom will send pictures soon.

Falinadin
09-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Yay finally got a picture.
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/blizzcon09/ateish.jpg
Sorry don't know why my dad has a glove on while holding the staff >.<

As you can see I tried for the rustic look with the bird on top. Left a rough finish to resemble wood and I tried to do a wood pattern. I don't think it quite stands out enough. Maybe I need to add some black lowlights and bright highlights to make it pop?

The green cloth hangs better than that, my parents just sort of let it wrap around like that when they took the picture, lol.

But what do you think? Does the wood pattern work or should I try something else? Thanks!

essex1984
09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Looks very good, the wood patterns came out nicely but you will want to add detailing around the face of the bird and darken inside of the wings to make things pop.

Falinadin
09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, the bird has red eyes in game, so I still have to add those. I think I'm going to make them a brown/brick red, so you can see them but they don't make it look like a demon bird, lol.
Thanks for the tips, I think I will do some more shading under the wings.