PDA

View Full Version : Link ideas

lyraparry11
08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I want to cosplay as link (probably twilight princess version) for anime Boston 2011, which is a good 8 months away, so I'd like to make a really nice costume. I have some ideas as to how to make certain pieces, and I'd like to ask you guys for suggestions. I'm not a total newbie to cosplay, and I know what kinds of reactions I'd get from people at cons (re: people won't kill you if everythings not perfect) but I'd love some advice and opinions.

Hair: I have long dark brown hair, but my bangs/the front of my hair is absolutly perfect for cosplaying link. I could put the rest up and hide it under the hat. It would be absolutly perfect, but I don't want to bleach my hair blond. Should I get a wig (would be my first wig, and I'd be mediocre at styling I'm sure) or would my natural hair be close enough that I don't need to bother?

Pants/leggings: tight off-white skinny jeans:I think it would look better than leggings, really, and I think in terms of material, denim (or twill even) would be more accurate than that stretchy, almost see through stuff leggings are made of now.

Hat/undershirt/belt/sheath/boots: should be easy enough to make/buy/alter those things

sword: I'm thinking of getting a sheet of foam board and cutting the parts out of that, then doubling/tripling/quadrupling/etc the layers of foam where nessecary. I'd put a wooden dowel in it for added strength. For color I'd either use paint or sharpie to color it accurately. If I noticed whatever I used for color rubbed off on my hands, perhaps a layer of elmers glue painted over it would help? And the handle will be covered with electrical tape in the appropriate colors.

Shield: probably also going to be made of foam board? (wooden props aren't an option)

Shirt/chainmaille: I'll be making the shirt. For chainmaille, should I just make the little bits that are seen (edges of sleeves, collar, hem of shirt) out of real metal rings and hand sew them on to the shirt? Or would that weigh the shirt down in unflattering ways? should I make another shirt out of a silvery fabric to look like a maille shirt (saw someone do this at AB10)? Or do I really need to go all out and make a full metal maille shirt?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me. Any additional suggestions are more than welcome :D

Sethora
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Hair: I have long dark brown hair, but my bangs/the front of my hair is absolutly perfect for cosplaying link. I could put the rest up and hide it under the hat. It would be absolutly perfect, but I don't want to bleach my hair blond. Should I get a wig (would be my first wig, and I'd be mediocre at styling I'm sure) or would my natural hair be close enough that I don't need to bother?

There are a few things you can do about your hair, one of the solutions being a temporary hair die, though you have to be careful about those. For wigs, this (http://shop.cosplay.com/scruffy-l-24.html), I think, would be a good wig to take and turn around into a TP Link wig. It requires minimal styling, and looks as tossed about as Link's normally does. It's not hard to find a close wig and change it! Ask a friend for styling help, if you know someone good with that!

Pants/leggings: tight off-white skinny jeans:I think it would look better than leggings, really, and I think in terms of material, denim (or twill even) would be more accurate than that stretchy, almost see through stuff leggings are made of now.

White Jeggings - Jean Leggins. I have one black, one grey pair. They are fantastic, and would work perfect for Link's leggings. I got mine from American Eagle, so see if they have what you need. Or google them. :D

Hat/undershirt/belt/sheath/boots: should be easy enough to make/buy/alter those things.

Agreed. Or go to a Tandy leather store for the belts. I'm sure the guys there could help you out, either with how to make them, or where to get them, or how much it would cost. From what I've seen, it's fairly cheap leather supplies. There are great leatherworking tutorials on Deviantart as well. :D

sword: I'm thinking of getting a sheet of foam board and cutting the parts out of that, then doubling/tripling/quadrupling/etc the layers of foam where nessecary. I'd put a wooden dowel in it for added strength. For color I'd either use paint or sharpie to color it accurately. If I noticed whatever I used for color rubbed off on my hands, perhaps a layer of elmers glue painted over it would help? And the handle will be covered with electrical tape in the appropriate colors.

This (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=145069&page=5) or this (http://smex-fish.deviantart.com/art/B-Rabbit-Scythe-Tutorial-176818452?q=boost%3Apopular+scythe+tutorial&qo=22) may work as a tutorial for the master sword, and I'm sure ou could even rework either of them into being the shield's tutorial as well. For the first one, add some dowels for support. For the second one, I advise you use paper mache instead of just poster board for steadying the cardboard. Entirely up to you though.

Shield: probably also going to be made of foam board? (wooden props aren't an option)

See above!

Shirt/chainmaille: I'll be making the shirt. For chainmaille, should I just make the little bits that are seen (edges of sleeves, collar, hem of shirt) out of real metal rings and hand sew them on to the shirt? Or would that weigh the shirt down in unflattering ways? should I make another shirt out of a silvery fabric to look like a maille shirt (saw someone do this at AB10)? Or do I really need to go all out and make a full metal maille shirt?

The only chainmail I could find online was this (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/miscellaneous/9080/#tabs), and it's a fairly high price. What I heard someone else do was that they were using the tabs off pop cans to make chainmail. You could try that as well, if you want the cheaper route!

Hope something I said helped!

mirrorsaber
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me. Any additional suggestions are more than welcome :D

If you want to weave chainmaile, are you planning a 4 in 1, 6 in 1, dragonscale, or what? I don't suggest sewing them into your shirt since it can fall off easy (especially if you don't close them all the way though.) However, I have heard people use those undershirts from football players (forgot what they are called) for chainmaile or even wool and colored it silver/bronze depending on what version you are going by. If you want to make it, you can either buy your rings or get some wire, wind it around a small dowel and cut them. Also, look into what kind of material you want to use. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

For the certain types of weaves, there is plenty of tutorials everywhere for them.

Here is an example of the wool route if you are interested. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Lazy-Mans-Chainmail-Shirt/

eiriks
08-28-2010, 05:21 AM
There's also this chainmaille, if you want to buy one:
http://www.ringmesh.com/product_p/st210.htm.

As for the hat; I don't think you will find a hat close enough to alter. You will make the tunic anyways, so just use the same material.

lyraparry11
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
There's also this chainmaille, if you want to buy one:
http://www.ringmesh.com/product_p/st210.htm.

As for the hat; I don't think you will find a hat close enough to alter. You will make the tunic anyways, so just use the same material.

I knew I wouldn't find a hat, thanks though.

And yeah, I've definetly rethought the chainmaille and decided I'd go with my original idea of making a maille shirt for an upcoming ren fair anyways... (I really do need to update my sig...)