PDA

View Full Version : Claude's tailcoat

Rakoku
08-28-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.thenextfreakshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Claude-Faustus-kuroshitsuji-II-2-.jpg

I have everything I need except for a pattern for his tailcoat. I thought of using this pattern as a base:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vogue-Mens-TUXEDO-JACKET-PANTS-Pattern-32-24-36-/390228693422?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adb7151ae

Using this pattern, how would I alter it to make it into a tailcoat?
His tailcoat has two pointed tails and those button-like things on the back, over the tails, on top of a dart or something. How would I do that? In addition to that, the bottom of the coats front is "pointed", should I just cut out the shape I need for that particular part? I just really want to use the that pattern because the collar and the cut of the neckline is exactly what I need. I thought of slicing diffrent patterns together to make it but I don't know where to start for that or if it would work. If anyone has any better patterns or suggestions could you please help me? ^^

Brsis
08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Hmm... it's hard to see from that picture, but it seems like Claude's tails - unlike Sebastian's - are actually a part of the back panels. You'd have to extend each back panel for the swallowtails as though you were making a frock coat. The buttons are an easy after detail, though - on the finished coat, you'd make a box pleat, put a careful couple of stitches through the top layer in the centre, and then sew the button on top.

As long as that pattern will fit you, it's okay - but not what I would have chosen. The main differences are the fit (Claude's coat seems rather snugger than the tuxedo) and the fact that Claude's jacket seems to be darted centre front, to the points or near to them, whereas the tuxedo is darted further around. Also, Vogue patterns are notoriously difficult to follow (I swear, they make the instructions far more obnoxiously vague than they have any right to be)

Rakoku
08-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Thank you. ^^ Yeah, that wasn't really my first choice in patterns, just finding some general pattern to use as an example. Heh, I'm such a perfectionist and I want to get as much details right as possible so your input and advice really helps a lot. ^^