PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Weight

Mimiru1618
08-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I didn't see a thread out there, so I'll post it myself~.

Most threads I see are about loosing weight, well...I don't have that problem, I have the opposite. I struggle to gain weight. I'm 20 years old, weigh between 95-100 lbs, and I'm 5'2". I have never weighed 2 lbs above 100. Most people will consider me lucky, but I see it as a curse, because my health is indeed at risk. People say I need to eat more, that I'm starving myself, when the flat out truth is I'm a pig. I can sit there and stuff my face all day and not gain a pound. Maybe it's because that's what I'm trying to do...I'm not sure, but nothing works. I mainly eat chicken, red meat, chips, ice cream, I drink caffeinated drinks or water. I love cheese, and quiznos double cheese cheese steak is my absolute favorite. I love Chinese and Mexican food too. I do not eat a lot of chocolate, and I really like ravioli. Saying that, I'm thinking I need to cut down on the white meat and this is why:

My mother went on a diet and lost several lbs in the first week eating nothing but meat and taking vitamin tablets. She said white meat makes you fuller quicker and tricks your body into burning calories. It worked like a charm and now she's at her comfortable weight and can maintain it.

I'm not looking to gain 'omg 10-15 pounds', but I'd like to at least get to 102 and be a bit more satisfied, right now I'm at my higher weight of 100. I like being skinny, I really do, and I don't think gaining a few extra would ruin the costumes I already have, which were custom made for my waist.

No I will not take medication to slow my speedy metabolism down. Once it slows it's that way forever. And it can drastically change how that works, and I'm not willing to risk having a slow as Christmas metabolism.

So my question is, is there anyone out there with a problem like mine? And if so, what do you do to gain a little bit of weight to maintain a healthy look?

kristihasukie
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
GOD WHY CANT I HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

I have a friend who has this problem. also but he has been gaining muscle weight by working out for an hour then drinking a Drink Called Muscle Milk. Staying Away from Soy because it raises your Estrogen Levels. and it has been working so far.
EATTING peanut butter and lots of eggs =D for the protein

Mimiru1618
08-29-2010, 12:04 PM
I'll definitely keep that in mind! 8D Thank you so much! <3

kristihasukie
08-29-2010, 12:08 PM
If your ever in Texas for a Con, OUR Southern food will make you gain 10lbs in one day =D lol J/k

Mimiru1618
08-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I'll definitely consider it! I'm from Alabama, you'd think all that fried food would do something D:

distantarray
08-29-2010, 12:18 PM
GOD WHY CANT I HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

I have a friend who has this problem. also but he has been gaining muscle weight by working out for an hour then drinking a Drink Called Muscle Milk. Staying Away from Soy because it raises your Estrogen Levels. and it has been working so far.
EATTING peanut butter and lots of eggs =D for the protein

Muscle milk is just over priced protein shake imo. Just drinking whole milk with a scoop of whey protein powder will do you much better at half the cost.

Also soy isn't terribly bad unless you overdose on it, which unless your entire diet revolves around pure soy products like tofu and natto. In most cases eating soy protein can actually LOWER your estrogen levels.

Since phyto-estrogen which is plant based estrogen closely resembles and mimics human estrogen in many ways, if present in the human body it tricks the body into believing there is more estrogen in the body than there really is. so the reaction is to actually lower it's own estrogen production. Phyto-estrogen also doesn't have the catabolic effect (muscle and weight loss) tendencies that regular human estrogen has.

So it's probably best not to avoid soy protein, and also it's good to mention that Soy protein powder uses Alcohol in the process to create the powder, and alcohol also kills 99% of the phyto-estrogen content. Although this wasn't an industry standard in the past, and yes funny things happened 20 years ago including bodybuilders with nice supple round full....pecs... but then those were only for people who were taking 300+ grams of soy protein a day, when a normal person won't ever even hit 20g through a conventional diet in the modern day world that's not specialized to do so.

Anyways back to the OP just gotta eat. My friend was 6'3 120pounds, now he's at 190 pounds of lean muscle probably aroudn 7% body fat.

Easiest way to gain a little size is working out and eating a lot. My friend's eating in excess of 10,000 - 15,000 calories a day. He's also taking supplements called black hole and engorge which are appitite INCREASERS. Which have digestive enzymes to help you process your food quickly and more efficently.

Although I wouldn't recommend eating half as much as he is, cause he needs to eat a minimum of around 6,000 calories a day just to maintain his body. usually it's recommended for people to take 4,000+ calories when they start working out to build size. if gaining weight is hard for you.

Rjr3412
08-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, Muscle Milk is very tasty, but yes overpriced too. You'd probably be rather successful with adding a shake (a scoop of protein and a cup of milk) to each meal.

But you say you eat a lot and all the time. But how frequently is that? Do you eat 1,2,3,4 large meals each day?

One of the common rules for losing weight is to eat more often, typically six meals a day. Almost the exact same rule applies for gaining weight. The only difference is in portion sizes.

Trying to bump up the number of meals each day, and adding in some healthy calorie dense foods like cottage cheese and natural peanut butter (mmm tasty) can probably do the trick.

But remember, you are only 20 and still have a metabolism burning like a furnace. Maybe you're genetics are kind enough to keep it up for the rest of your life, but for most people their metabolism slows down considerably between 20-24. Thats why so many people get fat at or after college. So keep an eye open for that too.

And distant - you're friend sounds like a nut. I cannot even imagine trying to eat 15,000 calories a day of relatively clean foods.

Mimiru1618
08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I eat 2 big meals a day, lunch and dinner, but I snack all day.

Daily routine: get up, grab a thing of crackers, cinnamon roll, apple sauce. Eat that. That's gone in about 30 minutes. after that I'll snack on chips, pretzels, or something. Then I don't eat until lunch. That's usually two hamburgers/12 nuggets/regular size quiznos sub, fries/chips and a medium sized coke. After that I always try to eat some fruit, usually an apple and some yogurt and nuts. When I get home, I'll cook some mashed potatos or heat me up some chicken nuggets with a side of macaroni and corn. After an hour I'll grab me some chips or a cheese stick or cook some bacon or something and eat that. Ad for dinner, my mom cooks full course meals (I'm living at ho since college isn't very far) and that can be anything from tacos, to take out chinese/mexican, to bbq chicken, to steak, to anything. We always have a meat and two sides and a roll, unless she's making pasta.

That's usually what an entire day is like for me just about, if that helps anyone~

I really like sharp cheddar, American, and mozzarella cheese.

Also I'e gotten to where, when I eat apples (fugi or gala since I'm not a granny apple fan) I make a caramel dip using brown sugar and cream cheese. (8 oz cream cheese, 1 cup brown sugar).

Like I said, it's not that I don't eat, lunch and dinner my two large meals, and then throughout most of the day I snack on anything I can get my hands on that isn't chocolate. It can be anything from ice cream to literally a spoon of peanut butter. I'll eat bacon, sometimes I'll make an omelette, or I'll eat 3 pears. I can go through 12 chicken nuggets and still be hungry, as well as two cans of chicken noodle/potato soup without a problem...

At school I do walk a lot, usually about a mile a day, and t work I stand for 6 hours, but even then I'm snacking (at work).

Would eating more red meat than white meat help? I'm not a huge fan of milk, I grew out of that when I was but 8 years old, I prefer cheese and yogurt. I've never really tried cottage cheese before, but I'm willing to give it a shot~. Peanut butter and I get along real well...so I'm DEFINITELY willing to go with that~.

I've never had a protein shake either, but I'll definitely keep that in mind and try to work out a bit more.

I really appreciate the help guys, it doesn't seem like it can be a problem, but when you loose the little weight you're trying to maintain it can really be scary...at least for me it can be. I'm thankful for a fast metabolism, but I would like a bit of consistency, you know? ;;

Kasinator
08-29-2010, 06:36 PM
I eat 2 big meals a day, lunch and dinner, but I snack all day.

turn those snacks into small meals and you will soon gain the weight properly! Also the only real way to gain weight without getting fat is building muscle (as I am sure you know). you are going to want to look into weight lifting more than cardio. some people can get away with working out without cardio and you can very well be one of those candidates.

distantarray
08-30-2010, 02:27 AM
if you snack with things like adding a glass of whole milk to each snack should probably do the trick in helping you gain weight. It should run around 130 calories each glass. 3 x a day is almost 400 calories a day and 2800 calories a week which isn't too far from pound a week. although your metabolism is very fast so it might not workout this way, but anything will help.

Rjr3412
08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
You definitely sound like you are eating enough that you "ought" to be gaining weight.

Personally my advice, would be let it be as long as you aren't currently running into health issues. Within a few years when your metabolism slows down you'll have to start eating healthy like the rest of us ;)

If you really, really need to put on the weight its actually going to be a bit of work. A lot of people have points where there body just doesn't want to hold extra (healthy) weight. But if you make an effort to add in a shake or a glass of milk to every meal (at least 3-4 times a day) You should see some progress.

If you really really aren't seeing any progress, a trick some bodybuilders who are "hard gainers" use is setting their alarm clock, or drinking a lot of water at night, and getting up once or twice a night to eat or have a shake.

As far as red meat vs white meat, white meat tends to be leaner (meaning less fat) but red meat tends to take longer to digest. As long as you're keeping a varied diet, you should be fine.

Mimiru1618
08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
So...I just got on the scale...and I'm at at 97.7 lbs...where as, when I weighed myself to post this thread...I was flat 100...how the crap did I lose 2.3 lbs? D: So...my con is on September 17, and I'm going to be walking a LOT. 95 is my 'not preferred' weight to be at when I go to cons, cause I know I'll loose 3 lbs just by walking, if not more. I would like to get those 2 lbs back by convention time. 95 for me is a red flag, because if I loose anymore I'm in trouble. I try to drink a lot of water to keep hydrated, otherwise I'll get sick and pass out because my body burns that energy really fast.

I'm thinking that since I don't like plain straight milk I'll try chocolate milk instead (i don't like plain chocolate either but chocolate milk is tolerable). I rarely eat red meat so I'm going to try to eat more of that than white meat for the fat content. and with my other snacks I'm going to try and add a bit more to them to keep up with what my body's burning. Like I said, I walk a bunch at the university due to how the parking is set up, so everything I eat burns quickly. My mother has protein bars stashed away to help her loose weight, but will those help me to gain weight? I think some of it is because my mom has been cooking to fit her diet to stay in a dietary mode (instead of white rice, brown rice/whole rice), instead of actual eggs, she uses egg beaters, she avoids adding fattening stuff too...so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Will this help you think?

Rjr3412
08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
The steps you are taking definitely "should" help. The thing is everyone is at least slightly different, and it can take a little experimenting to see what works.

As far as protein bars, I like them for myself, just make sure they have a decent amount of protein and calories. While your mom might be eating them instead of a meal, you might want to have them as inbetween snacks.

An experiment you can try, keep a food journal for a week. Document what you eat and when, writing it down then and there. Keep it on you and keep it up to date. Guesstimate the numbers (calories) to the closest 100 or so.

Add it up, see what you are averaging. From there you either make sure to hit that number or a larger number.
Don't weigh yourself all the time, tops 2 or maybe 3 times a week, since you think you are in health issue territory.

If you aren't seeing any difference in your weight after a week, bump up your average about 500 calories a day.

From there if you still don't see a change, I can recommend some places to look for more advice on meal timing, macronutrient break downs and other useful info. Hope this helps.

Mimiru1618
08-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Alrighty I'll try that D: Thank you so much~

distantarray
08-30-2010, 06:03 PM
So...I just got on the scale...and I'm at at 97.7 lbs...where as, when I weighed myself to post this thread...I was flat 100...how the crap did I lose 2.3 lbs? D: So...my con is on September 17, and I'm going to be walking a LOT. 95 is my 'not preferred' weight to be at when I go to cons, cause I know I'll loose 3 lbs just by walking, if not more. I would like to get those 2 lbs back by convention time. 95 for me is a red flag, because if I loose anymore I'm in trouble. I try to drink a lot of water to keep hydrated, otherwise I'll get sick and pass out because my body burns that energy really fast.

I'm thinking that since I don't like plain straight milk I'll try chocolate milk instead (i don't like plain chocolate either but chocolate milk is tolerable). I rarely eat red meat so I'm going to try to eat more of that than white meat for the fat content. and with my other snacks I'm going to try and add a bit more to them to keep up with what my body's burning. Like I said, I walk a bunch at the university due to how the parking is set up, so everything I eat burns quickly. My mother has protein bars stashed away to help her loose weight, but will those help me to gain weight? I think some of it is because my mom has been cooking to fit her diet to stay in a dietary mode (instead of white rice, brown rice/whole rice), instead of actual eggs, she uses egg beaters, she avoids adding fattening stuff too...so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Will this help you think?

Don't sweat a few pounds, the body can jump around 5-10 pounds easily throughout the day, safe to say you should only really focus on 5pounds at a time. Even electronic scales can different little each time you step on it. cloths, hydration level, amount of food, wastes, cloths anything is a factor.

Braithcakes
09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
you have the same problem I do =.= I've been drinking protein drinks and working out lately and it doesn't do much for meeee.

I mean, granted I'm taller than you but for my weight apparently I'm underweight

distantarray
09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
you have the same problem I do =.= I've been drinking protein drinks and working out lately and it doesn't do much for meeee.

I mean, granted I'm taller than you but for my weight apparently I'm underweight

your just probably not hitting the adaquate calorie intake. Eat more :P I know your probably sick of hearing that but my friends have to eat 4,000-5,000 calories to grow fast, my friend started taking weight gainer 1,200 calorie shakes an eating more, he's gained 10 pounds in a month of weight training, although he's just started out doing it seriously this month. (when you start out you gain muscle the fastest) but still 10 pounds is amazing for a ectomorph who's probably under 6-7% bodyfat.

DespairedPheonix
09-01-2010, 03:53 PM
That was me about 3 years ago. The most I weighed was 115 [im 5'7] and the least was 95. It didnt matter what I did. Idk what changed, but I can state the few things i noticed:

-I went to college, no longer had to take a gym class.
-Started drinking.
-Got a car. Didn't have to walk or anything anywhere.
-Got my own place, stopped eating home cooked meals. Ate pasta. Every. Day.

...also, if you start working out...like...to build muscle, you'll gain muscle weight.

Just asking, out of pure curiosity:
Do you take any medications for ADD/ADHD? Cuz once my friend stopped that she gained like, 20 lbs.
Also, do you smoke? Quitting smoking WILL make you gain weight.

Mimiru1618
09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm 20 years ol, have a car, go to college (but the parking is messed up so you HAVE to walk to some classes), I live at home but I'm moving out in January. Don't take gym though. I do not smoke and I used to take stretera nd riddilin when I was younger, but because they severely changed my mood (I was seriously crazy) and stopped my growth, I stopped taking them~.

I'm going to try some more red meats, sadly I can't do anything about what my mom cooks :(

spazzerbot
09-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I have the same problem. I can eat as much as I want and still not gain weight.
I weigh a bit less than normal now, because I recently found I am lactose intolerant and now I can't eat a lot of fattening food like ice cream and butter.
When I go to the Dr for check-ups they accuse me of being anorexic and ask if I skip meals.

I don't worry about it much though, because I stay at basically the same weight all the time. If you're not gaining, but not losing either I think it's not something to be too worried about, but I don't really know. I think maybe you could be worrying too much by weighing yourself all the time. I weigh five pounds more when I go to bed than when I wake up.

I work at a coffee shop, and one time I had a lady come in and say she needed to gain weight so make the most fattening drink I could.
A breve, real white mocha (not syrup) latte, with whipped cream. There has to be around 800 calories in that...at least. Maybe try drinking a few of those. ~.^

Good luck!

DragonBlade
09-02-2010, 10:38 PM
ah, that is definitely a bit like me

except i'm 16 (but growing very slowly)

5'2" as well and fluctuating between 94-100
never been past that
good thing is, i haven't stopped growing yet
and i am still (very slowly) gaining height and weight

i also eat a lot
i sit at the computer and eat pocky, finish that box, eat a slice of cheesecake, wait an hour, go out, eat at a buffet, wait 3 hours, get seconds on dessert, and so on
i try to avoid insanely unhealthy foods like twinkies and donuts, but i don't even think twice about candy, chocolate, pizza, meat, cake...

i actually, do gain weight
but it's more of a eat +3lbs
go to school -1lb
go to sleep -2lb
WTF i just CANNOT keep that weight on

my net gain is like 1 lb a year and i can fit my shorts from 4 years ago

but oddly, i don't lose anymore weight than i usually do even if i run track or play ddr
i don't lose extra weight either if i skip lunch at school

eh, just curious about your body shape though, cause i'm a girl, and lets just say i would have no problem crossplaying as a guy (actually, i've been mistaken for a guy before) i wouldn't say i'm really, really skinny, just overall kinda small, what about u?

Rhazia
09-02-2010, 11:05 PM
DragonBlade - From the sounds of it, you're pretty young. I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal to have a crazy metabolism when you're growing. Maybe you'll fill out, maybe you'll stay tiny. Just go with it. Also, just because you can get away with loading up on the bad stuff doesn't mean you should. Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess, but don't over do it. Being thin isn't the same as being healthy.

But yeah, I can relate to the OP. I have to make a conscious effort to eat a few extra meals a day or I'll lose weight. If you're not gaining weight, just eat more and strength train. If that doesn't work, eat even more and strength train. If that doesn't work, see your doctor.

DragonBlade
09-02-2010, 11:14 PM
That was me about 3 years ago. The most I weighed was 115 [im 5'7] and the least was 95. It didnt matter what I did. Idk what changed, but I can state the few things i noticed:

-I went to college, no longer had to take a gym class.
-Started drinking.
-Got a car. Didn't have to walk or anything anywhere.
-Got my own place, stopped eating home cooked meals. Ate pasta. Every. Day.

...also, if you start working out...like...to build muscle, you'll gain muscle weight.

Just asking, out of pure curiosity:
Do you take any medications for ADD/ADHD? Cuz once my friend stopped that she gained like, 20 lbs.
Also, do you smoke? Quitting smoking WILL make you gain weight.

ok now i know ADD/ADHD meds make u lose weight

is it because they contribute to loss of appetite (which doesn't affect me because my dosage is so low it doesn't do much, but i'm not telling that to my mom or doctor) or something else?

shinigamimeroko
09-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Well, I have the same problem too, I just can't gain weight x.x; I've been doing a bit of exercise and eating a lot more than before for like a year now, and I did gain some weight at first... but then I just kept it o.O I haven't lost any more weight but I can't seem to gain it either o.O; maybe more exercise and eating more might help, since it did work at first... but my husband says I eat too much already x.x; I don't know what else to do x.x; I could try to drink more milk, but I'm very slightly lactose intolerant so I can't drink more than 1 glass a day... still, I will try x.x; is there anything else I could do?
Btw, I'm 24 o.O;

Rjr3412
09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Shinigami - like I recommended for the OP, one of the most useful things, when you struggle with weight (gaining or losing) is getting a firm idea of just how much you eat everyday.

Keep a little notebook or get an app or something that will let you keep track of everything you eat, notated immediately. Guesstimate the calories, or look them up if you don't know how much is there.

Average out what you get each day over a weeks time. Is this the amount you need to maintain your weight? Then make sure you get about 200-300 more calories on average each day for 2 or 3 weeks. Are you slowly gaining some weight? Perfect! You do NOT want to rush these things.

Also making sure you spread your calories out throughout the day can help a lot too. Your body can only absorb and make so much use of any one meal. The rest is treated as waste or stored as fat. So try to make sure you are eating at least 4 "meals" a day.

Edit - If that is you in your gallery, fair point to assume, you are probably in about the shape that many people in the losing weight cosplay thread are aiming for. So keeping a healthy understanding of body image is important too.

DireKitty
09-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I had the same issue... only I was 5'7 and 108 lbs during high school. I was... a stick. After I took the birth control pill i slowly gained wait until i was 120lbs.... any time I worked out I could drop 10 lbs after a few work out sessions. Now i'm 133lbs (6 years later....)and I feel a bit safer about working out.
My only issue is that working out takes away my appetite... so protein shakes/weight gainers will likely be utilized...

shinigamimeroko
09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh, I see~ thanks for the advice, I will do that then ^_^ I'm only aiming to gain a few more pounds, to reach my ideal weight, but also, I want to build up the muscles in my leg x.x; when I was thinner I had problems with my joints and such, and since I started gaining weight I got a lot better... but the problem is that I stopped gaining weight with just a few pounds to go to reach my ideal weight x.x; I want to gain weight mainly in my arms and legs, I supposed that is with exercise, but I don't want to exercise too much because I'm afraid to lose weight. Is it that the more I exercise, the more I should eat? At least exercising makes me hungry, so I think when I exercise I eat more, but, like you said, I should keep track of what I eat x.x;

Rjr3412
09-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Exercising will definitely be very useful in getting your appetite up. And for the most part it is extremely easy to eat more calories than you burn off in the gym.

If you want to put on some muscle mass / tone / gain healthy weight, resistance exercises and lifting weights are going to be some of the most useful things.

Your body needs to be given a reason to grow muscle. It doesn't just happen. Biologically speaking the body wants to be as efficient/lazy as possible. If a certain amount of muscle is adequate to do everything you do on a regular basis it has no need to grow more. Give it a reason.

This does not mean to hop on the hip abductor machines for an hour everyday *wags finger*. You want to do nice compound movements - push-ups, pull-ups, squats, good mornings. Don't be afraid of lifting heavier either, if you can do 10-12 reps with good form and can't squeeze out any more without rest, then you are probably at a good weight/resistance.

ByronSpiegal
09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
You can't go wrong with Body Fortress Protein from Walmart 15 bucks for 2 lbs, it'll last you about a month if you use it regularly

distantarray
09-10-2010, 07:16 PM
You can't go wrong with Body Fortress Protein from Walmart 15 bucks for 2 lbs, it'll last you about a month if you use it regularly

you can if your lactose intolerant, I'll leave a visible gas trail if I take that stuff!

Vitamin Shoppe $42.99 for 5 pounds of Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey protein. <3 has more BCAA's and Glutamine + Lactase for lactose intolerant people

distantarray
09-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Well, I have the same problem too, I just can't gain weight x.x; I've been doing a bit of exercise and eating a lot more than before for like a year now, and I did gain some weight at first... but then I just kept it o.O I haven't lost any more weight but I can't seem to gain it either o.O; maybe more exercise and eating more might help, since it did work at first... but my husband says I eat too much already x.x; I don't know what else to do x.x; I could try to drink more milk, but I'm very slightly lactose intolerant so I can't drink more than 1 glass a day... still, I will try x.x; is there anything else I could do?
Btw, I'm 24 o.O;

http://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/257/200/041383090257.jpg

Lactose free milk

http://www.organicvalley.coop/uploads/tx_ovproducts/mlk_hg_LAC_rf.png

Then there's also Organic Lactose free milk, then there's also Goat's milk which doesn't contain any lactose naturally.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Mv%2ByzgEyL._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Lactaid-Fast-Act-Lactase-Enzyme-Supplement-Chewable-Tablet-Vanilla-Twist-60-ea.jpg

Lactaid Tablets

Also taking things like Papaya enzymes will help eat more food without upsetting your stomach cause it's a digestive enzyme which helps your digestion rate.

If you really want to gain weight

http://houseofbodybuilding.com/cart/images/black_hole.jpg

This is what body builders take to allow them to eat more, which sounds crazy but ectomorphs (naturally skinny people) need all the extra calories they can get, I just feel bad cause they'll often eat $300+ in food a week!

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/images/stories/engorge.jpg

My friend's taking this right now, he's 6'3 120 pounds 2 years ago, he's 6'3 and 190 pounds of lean body mass right now, taking about 10,000 - 15,000 calories a day.

ThirdLeap
09-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi,

I have this problem. I'm around 5'6 and weigh about 110 lbs and I've changed around my weight a lot. Two years ago I was around 105 lbs, and then within a year I went up to 120lbs... and then several months later, down to 110.

I was on one of my universities varsity athletics teams, and I was one of two with this problem, the rest had to lose weight. My coach told me it's not about weight gainers, or powders and protein shakes, it's about resolve. He said that it's just about eating healthy, eating often and exercise. Sure enough it worked. I'd eat healthier, and more often, and did a lot of strength training and cardio. I didn't gain as fast as he wanted, but it happened. I gained about 15 pounds in several months. It requires work, and it takes time, but it'll happen if you're dedicated, just like losing weight.

When I stopped with the team, I began to lose the weight, until now, where I hover around 110 steadily. I want to gain the weight again, I don't usually feel healthy weighing so little. The one thing that helped more than anything was feeling pressure to have results, I felt I needed to live up to the team, and we all supported each other. So I thought it could be the same here, forums and communication can help people stay on track!

Remember to eat and drink healthy and often, several small meals a day! Milk and Juices have more calories than water, where as coke is lots of calories but they are all empty calories. No chocolate or crap food, eat nutella if you want chocolate! No potato chips, eat an apple, or cheese, or oatmeal! It was small stuff like that, that over time helped me gain weight healthy, mixed with regular exercise. I know everyone is different though, so just remember to eat healthy and exercise!

distantarray
09-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi,

I have this problem. I'm around 5'6 and weigh about 110 lbs and I've changed around my weight a lot. Two years ago I was around 105 lbs, and then within a year I went up to 120lbs... and then several months later, down to 110.

I was on one of my universities varsity athletics teams, and I was one of two with this problem, the rest had to lose weight. My coach told me it's not about weight gainers, or powders and protein shakes, it's about resolve. He said that it's just about eating healthy, eating often and exercise. Sure enough it worked. I'd eat healthier, and more often, and did a lot of strength training and cardio. I didn't gain as fast as he wanted, but it happened. I gained about 15 pounds in several months. It requires work, and it takes time, but it'll happen if you're dedicated, just like losing weight.

When I stopped with the team, I began to lose the weight, until now, where I hover around 110 steadily. I want to gain the weight again, I don't usually feel healthy weighing so little. The one thing that helped more than anything was feeling pressure to have results, I felt I needed to live up to the team, and we all supported each other. So I thought it could be the same here, forums and communication can help people stay on track!

Remember to eat and drink healthy and often, several small meals a day! Milk and Juices have more calories than water, where as coke is lots of calories but they are all empty calories. No chocolate or crap food, eat nutella if you want chocolate! No potato chips, eat an apple, or cheese, or oatmeal! It was small stuff like that, that over time helped me gain weight healthy, mixed with regular exercise. I know everyone is different though, so just remember to eat healthy and exercise!

hey hey! chocolate is not bad if you eat DARK CHOCOLATE, and often it's so rich that you can only eat a small piece at a time, rarely can you finish a entire bar (well maybe just me)

benefits are from flavonoids, which act as antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the body from aging caused by free radicals, which can cause damage that leads to heart disease. Dark chocolate contains a large number of antioxidants (nearly 8 times the number found in strawberries). Flavonoids also help relax blood pressure through the production of nitric oxide, and balance certain hormones in the body.

Dark chocolate is good for your heart. A small bar of it everyday can help keep your heart and cardiovascular system running well. Two heart health benefits of dark chocolate are:

* Lower Blood Pressure: Studies have shown that consuming a small bar of dark chocolate everyday can reduce blood pressure in individuals with high blood pressure.
* Lower Cholesterol: Dark chocolate has also been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) by up to 10 percent.

# it stimulates endorphin production, which gives a feeling of pleasure
# it contains serotonin, which acts as an anti-depressant
# it contains theobromine, caffeine and other substances which are stimulants

Here is some more good news -- some of the fats in chocolate do not impact your cholesterol. The fats in chocolate are 1/3 oleic acid, 1/3 stearic acid and 1/3 palmitic acid:

* Oleic Acid is a healthy monounsaturated fat that is also found in olive oil.
* Stearic Acid is a saturated fat but one which research is shows has a neutral effect on cholesterol.
* Palmitic Acid is also a saturated fat, one which raises cholesterol and heart disease risk.

That means only 1/3 of the fat in dark chocolate is bad for you.

http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongnutrition/p/chocolate.htm

bkyoung
09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Are you eating healthy? Jack lelanne made a video on how stuffing your face for some people can make them skinnier Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vjSOtuvDI

RaptorAdapter
09-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Hey everyone. This is my first post on the cosplay.com forums...and appropriately so! Being underweight is the story of my life and until very recently, I've struggled with putting on lean mass. (Being a girl also has its own set of particular problems.) I started taking fitness & nutrition seriously about four years ago, then went through several phases of being on and off the wagon. After looking at my pics from last year's Dragon*Con in which I looked sickly thin, I decided enough was enough and I got myself on Beachbody's programs. I'm doing P90X right now and love it so much that I became a coach:

http://beachbodycoach.com/everstrong

As a "hardgainer", you can realistically expect an average 3-5 pounds of muscle mass added per month IF 1) you double or triple your body's daily target caloric needs, 2) you lift heavy, and 3) if you take a mass gainer or protein powder daily. There's a few more things to keep in mind, but that's basically it. Eat more calories than your body actually needs to maintain itself.

This is simply what's worked for me and so far I seem to be putting on the pounds, no problem. However, drinking mass gainer can also introduce fat along with lean muscle so you just need to watch what you're eating. I'm 5'2" and 108 lbs. after a month of P90X...I started out at 102 lbs. dry weight. My short-term goal is to reach 110 pounds of sustained lean muscle, but I"m accepting the fact that I'll need to put on some fat ("mass") before I can cut down to my ideal body shape. Here's me before/after just 30 days of honest exercise, eating, and drinking lots of protein:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/agentcabanas/Beachbody/sidebyside.jpg

Yup...never been so proud of having "pudge" around the gut for the first time in my life... It's proof that my body CAN overcome its ridiculously high-metabolism! I'm not too worried about the fat since I know it's only temporary. :)

Anyone who's underweight and want some motivation or accountability, you may add me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kriscabanas or just send me a message. I enjoy helping where I can. I'm always happy to make friends with fitness junkies and we skinny peeps especially need to stick together!

Train smarter, not harder,

Kris

Mistes
09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
I feel relieved I'm not the only one out there who wants to gain, I think i posted a thread here a year back but I'll bet it disappeared or i misplaced it O_o

I tried the mc donalds diet... which seems self explanatory- go to the fast food places a few times a week

my dad sometimes goes to buy 5 boxes of ice cream and i tend to down one box every 2 days... which has milk in it and so I should be gaining...

I've pretty much been 96 lbs for the past 3 years... but ive grown 2 inches so my weight is in the 4% index (out of 100 people my age/height I'm weighing more than 4%), this might be different in foreign countries where fast food isn't as prominent but it's undoubtedly skinny.

I ended up giving up and just staying content with myself

I'll note that these things added in these foods like trans fat are absolutely terrible and hazardous.... just stay healthy and eggs do help

kuramasan
09-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Have you tried the weight gain protein bars? They come in palatable flavors even, like cookies and cream or peanut butter cup. Or even protein candy bars.
like the ones muscle builders or people who want to move up a weight class in wrestling use?
If you can't gain weight by eating then I guess you have to get some muscle instead.
What about weight lifting?

drakeprimeone
09-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Here are the things to go after

1. Protein
2. Drastically increase your caloric intake (whatever it is now and atleast double it)
3. Protein
4. weight training, heavier weight with lower reps
5. Did I mention protein?

I know its been made mention that protein shakes like muscle milk are the way to go, while the brand isn't necessarily important the shakes themselves are. On avg one shake can have as much as 40 grams. I personally love muscle milk and syntha 6 for the smooth taste.

I know as an ectomorph you burn calories at a high rate so its important to take in more than you burn.

This is an over simplification of what to do but imo it will give you a good road map on how to make some gains.

Noble Knight
09-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi, I saw the thread you posted on weight gain. I'm a personal trainer and mostly I specialize in weight gain (muscle gain). Pretty much all the advice you'll get here is wrong (: (no offense guys) Thats because were mostly cosplayers and NOT bodybuilders. Simply put: You need to learn as much as you can about BodyBuilding. This means lifting weights about 3 or 4 times a week for about 45 minutes and eating every 2 hours every DAY. Every 2 hours you need to be taking in ABOUT 25 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs for you body weight. The way you say your mom is eating is probably better for you than what I saw most others suggesting, you just need to eat MORE than her and more frequently. Forget about red meat vs. white meat: ALL meat is good in your case.

I have several friends who were skinny and thought they needed to add fat by eating fatty foods. They all deeply regretted it when they got fat and wished for their old skinny bodies back. What I'm saying is: Don't gain weight by eating junk food, trust me, you won't be happy with your body, no one is.

I'll say this again: You need to learn as much as you can about bodybuilding, eating and lifting weights. I'd say join a gym for sure but you may not have the money so you should simply start attending your Campus gym. But eventually you'll wan't to join a gym. Talk to the weight training coach at the gym, and hook up with some big guy who looks like he knows what he's doing. These people will most likely enjoy giving you advice- but be wary, just because someone has big muscles does NOT mean he knows what he's doing.

This is where you need to start: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

Watch the videos. Everything this British trainer say is TRUE! You need to do pretty much everything he says.

You NEED to start lifting weights, not just because of your unique situation (your skinny) but because its good for you and will help you live a way better life!

Oh, by the way, the only supplements you need to be taking are: a multivitamin/mineral supplement (like 4 bucks at a grocery store) and a PROTEIN powder. Everything else is VERY optional.

Good luck! And sorry if I sounded Like a jerk I'm just trying not to beat around the bush (:

Kasinator
09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Just be sure not to overdo your protein either, that is a very common mistake people make.

drakeprimeone
09-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Just be sure not to overdo your protein either, that is a very common mistake people make.

This is true, your body can only process a certain amount at a time so taking in excess would be a wasted. A rule of thumb I've used is 1 gram per pound of body weight daily, so for you 2 protein shakes a day combined with 4 healthy meals spread through out the day is good stuff.

RaptorAdapter
09-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Pretty much all the advice you'll get here is wrong (: (no offense guys) Thats because were mostly cosplayers and NOT bodybuilders.

Good luck! And sorry if I sounded Like a jerk I'm just trying not to beat around the bush (:
Dude, don't apologize. I think you approached this is in a very mature fashion instead of just dropping your crits on the OP's topic... You took the time to explain where you're coming from instead of just dropping "advice".

That said, I think you had awesome points to share that somebody like me who's starting out with strength training easily overlooks, and that's - being mindful of where a person is starting out in their fitness journey. You hit the nail on the head that most of us are starting out completely inexperienced. I agree 100% with your points and I agree it's a good roadmap for packing on muscle.

To share a personal anecdote, I weight trained on my own at home for a while with just a book and the idea that I need to eat 6-8 smaller healthy meals a day. I used nothing more than protein shakes and multi-vitamins to supplement with. I got decent results from it but now I'm on a different fitness at home program, and I'll be frank, it's working even better for me and I'm happy with my results so far.

That said, one thing I try to stay flexible on are the resources a newbie should use for training advice. There are a lot of links being thrown around and I feel it's worthwhile for the individual to check them all out with a grain of salt and see what works best for them. ("Go with what you know, until something better comes along.") I'm definitely gonna be checking out bodybuilding.com and fine tuning what I know.

Anyway, I wanted to give you kudos for keeping a healthy attitude and being genuinely helpful. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to nutrition & fitness advice, and especially an open mind towards different fitness disciplines and programs. You're not just being a dick and saying, "Do this, DON'T do that." I respect other trainers, new and experienced, who keep their egos in check and keep a balanced attitude. It's refreshing to read.

My $.02 cents,

Kris

RaptorAdapter
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Yup, you'll just poop out the rest that your body can't process. Which is fine if you're okay with pooping a lot, I suppose.

I need to do better about this, but protein shakes tend to dehydrate you as well and it's a good idea to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Cheebes
09-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Right! I was going to make a thread, but I guess I'll post here instead! =')

I used to have a steady weight of about 120 - 125lbs, but a medication I went on like 7 months ago made me drop to 105, and I've been sitting on that ever since. I'd like to gain a bit more than that, so I don't feel like I'm going to break. </3

So yes. I'm 21 years old, 5'3, 105lbs, and am trying to get into the habit of figuring out calorie intake.
My eating habits? I eat decent sized meals every few hours, and snack a lot. I don't really have junk food in my house. I don't drink soda or anything. My food usually includes things like wheat pasta, turkey sandwiches, apples with natural peanut butter, those fake-meat boca burger things, grapes, pretzels + peanut butter, eggs, etc. Skim milk, lots of water, half decaf coffee, tea.
I'm not a huge fan of most meat. I like home made burgers and steak, when someone feels like making them. I hate seafood. I friggen love veggies.

Also, I've been exercising. (a bit of muscle gain would be kinda nice..)
Um. If I need to be specific: to start with, since I'm wasn't particularly in shape, I've been doing some yoga, all of the strength training stuff on Wii Fit, and after a bit started attempting some recommended exercises for my body type from Womens Health. Stacked pushups and things. I also go on two mile walks sometimes. Chin ups normally come with those.

But yes. I'd rather not shrink to nothing by accident. </3
Definitely going to read through the thread when I'm a bit more awake.

adina201
10-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Eat as much as of nutritious foods. Increase your daily intake of calories by 500. Drink plenty of fluids which supply nutrients and calories. Milk, fresh fruit juices and energy drinks are the best for gaining weight.

distantarray
10-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi, I saw the thread you posted on weight gain. I'm a personal trainer and mostly I specialize in weight gain (muscle gain). Pretty much all the advice you'll get here is wrong (: (no offense guys) Thats because were mostly cosplayers and NOT bodybuilders. Simply put: You need to learn as much as you can about BodyBuilding. This means lifting weights about 3 or 4 times a week for about 45 minutes and eating every 2 hours every DAY. Every 2 hours you need to be taking in ABOUT 25 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs for you body weight. The way you say your mom is eating is probably better for you than what I saw most others suggesting, you just need to eat MORE than her and more frequently. Forget about red meat vs. white meat: ALL meat is good in your case.

I have several friends who were skinny and thought they needed to add fat by eating fatty foods. They all deeply regretted it when they got fat and wished for their old skinny bodies back. What I'm saying is: Don't gain weight by eating junk food, trust me, you won't be happy with your body, no one is.

I'll say this again: You need to learn as much as you can about bodybuilding, eating and lifting weights. I'd say join a gym for sure but you may not have the money so you should simply start attending your Campus gym. But eventually you'll wan't to join a gym. Talk to the weight training coach at the gym, and hook up with some big guy who looks like he knows what he's doing. These people will most likely enjoy giving you advice- but be wary, just because someone has big muscles does NOT mean he knows what he's doing.

Watch the videos. Everything this British trainer say is TRUE! You need to do pretty much everything he says.

You NEED to start lifting weights, not just because of your unique situation (your skinny) but because its good for you and will help you live a way better life!

Oh, by the way, the only supplements you need to be taking are: a multivitamin/mineral supplement (like 4 bucks at a grocery store) and a PROTEIN powder. Everything else is VERY optional.

I dunno with 2 posts it's kinda hard to say most advice here is bad :p

Everything you preached in your post is pretty much what many have preached over and over a year. dunno how they were before but a few good people who've made great progress have turned things around really well. I've gotten thank you PM's from few people who made amazing progress which is great. Also just cause a personal trainer is big doesn't mean anything. Especially since most big guys tend to be on a pro-hormone which converts into a steroid in your liver.

I've met MANY personal trainers who are dumb as bricks since they're very poorly regulated profession , especially when many gyms don't even require you to be certified to start training. Lifestyles for example around my area practices this quite a lot. Also since it's not a very regulated field a certification can take a few days sometimes. Of course the good ones are harder to find, but personally I look for a personal trainer with a professional fitness model or bodybuilding background who has avoided any serious injuries.

My personal trainer was Mr. Korea and his son Jason Huh is taking the bodybuilding industry like crazy. Just became IBFF pro in July and already noted as one of the best legs in the industry.

http://goldenmuscles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/img_10791280700464.jpg

The key is educating yourself before you even look for a trainer, since I've met MANY MANY terrible trainers I wanted to slap around silly. Generally I prefer women personal trainers that are in amazing shape cause generally they did things naturally if I had to choose blindly.

Also in my belief protein isn't necessity but it's great to help you when your diet isn't always perfect, a good diet will work wonders. Although If anything I recommend a good multi-vitamin like Orange Triad mainly cause it has JOINT SUPPORT, since most people tend to neglect their joints especially while on things like pro-hormones or steroids their muscles will out pace their joints tendons and ligaments resulting in serious injury over time.

Personally all I take is a pre-workout for tired days, and protein powder when my diet isn't perfect. Last year going from 165@ 25% body fat to 165 @ 10% body fat is good enough for me, max bench 250, and 20 wide grip pull ups.

hollowchrist
10-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I wish I had this problem. @.@ *offers cake*

Chocolahime
10-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Depending on your age your metabolism will probably change. I had a friend who was one of those tall skinny model type girls but when she hit 25 she gained maybe 30-40 lbs. (not all that year XD )

Rjr3412
10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I've met MANY personal trainers who are dumb as bricks since they're very poorly regulated profession , especially when many gyms don't even require you to be certified to start training.

Every time I hear a personal trainer use the word "tone" I cry a little on the inside.

Melodious Nocturne
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
see i have this problem too. i'm 5'3, 21 years old and i'm 98lbs. i eat quite alot. but never gain weight. and my friends always tell me to eat a ******** sandwich XD i want to gain weight but not in certain places you know. i know this may sound weird but i want it to go to my chest and hips. i actually like the way my stomach looks. is it possible for your body to do that?

32spartan11
11-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I personally created a workout program and eating plan that helped me gain 24lbs from Feb 1st 2009 to may 10th 2009. I went from 154lbs to 178lbs. The cut off date being may 10th was because I got ACL reconstruction the 14th. I lost alot of muscle mass after surgery but I regained it by the time I started my blog actually surpassing going up to 184lbs.

I attempted to keep a blog detailing me gaining weight

http://weightgainersguide.blogspot.com/

I say attempted because I'm so damn busy I haven't really contributed much to it. But what I did do was create pages of information that has everything I did to gain weight. So, those trying check it out it's what worked for me. Currently I weigh in at 174 and want to get back to around 185. I should be able to do that in about 2 months so we'll see, you have to be dedicated.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or leave them here.

JohnnyStrong
11-13-2010, 02:04 PM

I agree with this guy. What he is not telling you is that if you want to pack on fat you need to trigger storage mode in your system... by eating carbs, rice, oatmeal, breads. Your moms keto diet is a protein and fat based diet that will trigger your body to burn proteins and fats...

Lots of the commentary here about eating protein isnt going to do you any good unless you are breaking down muscle fibers to rebuild them..with protein.

I am on a CKD keto diet myself and lift heavy to bulk.

Facerape
11-14-2010, 02:58 AM
See, I have a similar problem and have yet to figure out how to fix it >.< I'm 16 almost 17 and a junior in high school and I'm about 5'3 and I weigh between 91-95 lbs. I have never gotten above 95 and I find it somewhat gross that I can see my ribs if I dun have shirt on. In middle school I was around 89 lbs and they actually had me going to the nurse to check my weight every couple weeks to make sure I didn't weigh to little. I kinda want to be able to at least get to 100 lbs but here's the issue: I have a small stomach and I'm rarely hungry, there are times where I'll feel hungry but when I go to eat I get full really fast. If I wait to long to eat once I become hungry, I won't feel hungry anymore for a bit but then it comes back WORSE a few hours later and I'll get a headache and be really shaky. Sometimes when I get a headache I don't feel like eating, even if I'm hungry, it's a pain in the butt.

People have told me to eat more but I have problems doing that, I can't force myself to eat once I'm full. I'd work out or something but I have little motivation to do that and though I'm thin I'm REALLY out of shape >.< I have almost no stamina, I can walk for long periods of time and I can walk pretty fast but as soon as I start running or jogging, I get issues, same with most exercise (i.e. sit-ups, push ups, etc). I can barely ride a bike around my small street once without getting worn out. >.>

belligerent
11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Have you been to a doctor (not the school nurse) to make sure there are no underlying medical issues? I don't want to worry you, but that doesn't sound right to me.

32spartan11
11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
See, I have a similar problem and have yet to figure out how to fix it >.< I'm 16 almost 17 and a junior in high school and I'm about 5'3 and I weigh between 91-95 lbs. I have never gotten above 95 and I find it somewhat gross that I can see my ribs if I dun have shirt on. In middle school I was around 89 lbs and they actually had me going to the nurse to check my weight every couple weeks to make sure I didn't weigh to little. I kinda want to be able to at least get to 100 lbs but here's the issue: I have a small stomach and I'm rarely hungry, there are times where I'll feel hungry but when I go to eat I get full really fast. If I wait to long to eat once I become hungry, I won't feel hungry anymore for a bit but then it comes back WORSE a few hours later and I'll get a headache and be really shaky. Sometimes when I get a headache I don't feel like eating, even if I'm hungry, it's a pain in the butt.

People have told me to eat more but I have problems doing that, I can't force myself to eat once I'm full. I'd work out or something but I have little motivation to do that and though I'm thin I'm REALLY out of shape >.< I have almost no stamina, I can walk for long periods of time and I can walk pretty fast but as soon as I start running or jogging, I get issues, same with most exercise (i.e. sit-ups, push ups, etc). I can barely ride a bike around my small street once without getting worn out. >.>

Before Doing anything I would check with a doctor like belligerent said. Afterward if everything checks out and ends up your normal and just naturally thin. I would recommend lifting weights. Doing compound exercises that use multiple large muscle groups. Such as the dead lift, squat, bench press, pull up, bent over rows, and shoulder press.

Your going to get fatigues especially if you've never lifted weights before, but eventually your body will adapt. For myself if i take off for more than 3 weeks lifting I lose a lot of stamina and can't finish one of my normal workouts.

Doing these you will be using a lot of energy on those days and keep your metabolism going for up to 48hrs after a work out which will make you more hungry. The first 2 weeks you may feel more tired through out the day, which is normal while your body adjust.

As for eating eat as many times a day as you can. I have a hard time putting weight on but i force myself to eat every 2 hrs even if its something little. Eventually your stomach will expand and you'll be able to eat more.

My blog I posted earlier has a lot of things that will help you. If you have any questions about the exercise or anything feel free to ask or PM me.

Facerape
11-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Oh lol I've been to a doctor, I'm just naturally thin, I've always been this way. It's doesn't help that I'm a picky eater XD

32spartan11
11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Here's a book I have that I recommend to a lot of people.

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises/dp/1605295507/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Use Amazons take a look inside to check some of the material out. Pages 4-8 give a bunch of scientific based reasons as to why to lift weights, 20 in fact. They also have a Women's Health Big Book of Exercise for all the girls that are interested.

belligerent
11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't like that the women's book is "Leaner, Sexier, Healthier" when the men's book is "Leaner, Stronger, More Muscular." I'm already healthy and sexy, so should I just use the men's book?

Loplod
11-15-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't like that the women's book is "Leaner, Sexier, Healthier" when the men's book is "Leaner, Stronger, More Muscular." I'm already healthy and sexy, so should I just use the men's book?

I laughed.

Though.. if that wasn't a joke then.. eerrrr :thumbsup:

32spartan11
11-15-2010, 12:25 PM

As with Loplod im not sure if this is a joke or not haha.

if it is a serious question....They are written by the same person. I personally don't own the women's versions and haven't seen it so I'm not sure of all the differences. My guess is the pictures Men's book using men and Women's using women. They also have a best workouts for everything section. I checked Amazon description and this section is changed to fit a woman audience.

Women's Book

* The Get-Your-Body-Back (Fast!) Guide
* The Bikini-Ready Workout
* The Skinny Jeans Workout
* The Hard-Body Workout
* The Lose-the-Last-10-Pounds Workout
* The Total-body Arm-shaping Workout
* The Prenatal Workout

Men's Book

*The Get-Back-in-Shape Workout
*The Beach Ready Workout
*The Vertical Jump Workout
*The Scawny-to-Brawny Workout
*Best Sports Workout
*The Big Bench Press Workout
*The Spartacus Workout

Those are most likely the only changes between the books. But it really depends on what are you goals?

belligerent
11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, it was a joke (even though I am healthy and sexy); the difference in titles just made me raise an eyebrow with regards to what women supposedly want in a workout vs. what men supposedly want in a workout. Women don't want to be more muscular and men don't want to be sexy? I'm sure a few do... From the list up there, it seems that the men's book emphasizes strength or practical application of fitness (such as sports) while the women's book is more about looking good in or out of clothes.

I'm sure the books are more or less the same, when you get down to it, it's just interesting to me how different the marketing is.

And if the pictures in the men's book are of buff guys, I am definitely wanting that one.

CardinalWinter
06-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I used to be way underweight, I weighed 104 at Five foot four. I kept trying to gain weight but never could. Then, I gained four pounds due to just growing up in general. Then, I grew an inch taller and also went on a medication that made me gain thirteen pounds in a few months. I went on a diet to tone myself a little bit more, but now I'm glad I'm not so skinny anymore.

myisk
06-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm 5'7 and 108lbs but never really thought of myself as underweight. I eat depending on my appetite at any given moment, which can be a lot (went to a buffet a few weeks back and ate approx. 8-10 plates of food, then got hungry an hour later and ate half a cheesecake) or not that much (instant noodles for lunch). With meals I'm more likely to eat a bit, go do something else, then come back and finish it rather than eat it all in one sitting. I'm too lazy to exercise and build muscle, which is probably the reason for my weight. >.<

Do I have any cause for concern about my weight?

facade
06-13-2011, 04:35 AM
I'm 5'7 and 108lbs but never really thought of myself as underweight. I eat depending on my appetite at any given moment, which can be a lot (went to a buffet a few weeks back and ate approx. 8-10 plates of food, then got hungry an hour later and ate half a cheesecake) or not that much (instant noodles for lunch). With meals I'm more likely to eat a bit, go do something else, then come back and finish it rather than eat it all in one sitting. I'm too lazy to exercise and build muscle, which is probably the reason for my weight. >.<

Do I have any cause for concern about my weight?

Yeah, that puts your bmi at 16.9 which is well below healthy. The reason being most likely is your eating habit of not finishing a full meal at once. You don't get nearly as many calories that way. Since your underweight you should be eating until you are full, not until you're bored of eating.

Kelley
06-13-2011, 04:43 AM
I'm 5'7" and 102lbs.

Talk to your doctor. Mine isn't worried about me and I don't really care. I feel fine and can do everything I want to fine and don't feel easily fatigued or anything.

If you're not having problems - there might not be any problems.

Figle
06-17-2011, 03:20 AM
not sure if anyone has suggested it by have you tried weight gainer supplement like true mass? http://www.supplements101.com/BSN_True_Mass_p/bsntruemass.htm, is good quality gainer and helps put on healthy weight

jasiones
06-17-2011, 06:35 PM
enjoy it while it lasts. I was the same way in high school, when I graduated i was 5'6'' 115. as I got older my metabolism slowed a lot and im usually hovering around 165 (the most i ever was, was 185!).

you are genetically predisposed to have a very fast metabolism..others arent so lucky

hollowchrist
06-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I was like that in high school too. But I also had trouble actually eating. Then I got pregnant and had even more trouble eating. But then after I had my son, I could eat and I did. Now I'm like... Upwards of 180 pounds. But I'm fine with it. I look fine. I feel fine. I mean, I could stand to lose some but, I just don't want to be miserable doing it.

I wish I had partially the OP's problem. Not so much that I was 95 pounds, but I'd like to be a nice 120 or so. I just don't want to put work into it. xD

Eat more Southern cooking. And I mean real southern cooking. Butter and fatback in stuff. Biscuits. More carbs than you can possibly think of. Come live with me for a couple of months to a year. You'll gain weight. (:

Yay 400th post!

Danteisagenius
05-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Obviously I didn't read everyone's postings (that would take way too long) so sorry if I repeat a thing or two. I'm underweight and am seeing a nutritionist; she is really helpful. When it comes time to eat, I have a natural tendency to "wait just one second longer" and distract myself with pointless tasks...I also love to exercise and drink an overabundance of water. While I am by no means am an expert at anything, I do have some experience with the subject. For those of you struggling to gain weight, maybe observe your habits and see if they could be to blame for your inability to pack on the pounds. Also, like I said earlier, seeing a nutritionist could prove useful. Annnd, as a last resort, an army recruiter suggested the peanut butter-banana diet to me when I told him that I was underweight, that sounds like a sinfully yummy way to do it to me. But who knows, I wish all you strugglers luck though!