PDA

View Full Version : Hikaru's (MKR) sword

Space Invader
10-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Ok - for Ushicon I'm redoing the outfit of her's I had for A-Kon. Fiberglass armor, better (oooh, iridescent) material, different shoes, different wig, etc. I've begun working on her sword, and I have the basics of it done (4 1/2 feet long! Yeesh), but I'm wondering what would be good to sculpt the hilt of it out of. It doesn't matter if it's flimsy or not, I just need it to be able to hold a shape - it will be fiberglassed over. I was thinking Model Magic or something of that sort... any other suggestions? Help meh please, this dumb thing has got me stumped ><.

*goes to sit in front of sword (or what exists of it) and ponder*

P.S. - attached is a pic with her sword in the foreground - you only see half of the hilt, but you get the general idea.

Hikaruchan
10-16-2002, 11:21 PM
I am planning on doing Hikaru's sword also, and was planning on using model magic for some of the details. I am actually going to trying using a plastic sword with some of the same elements as Hikaru's as the base as the hilt is quite comfortable in my hand. Sword blade will probably have to be tried out of cardboard, as think wood would be too heavy for this.

Amethyst Angel
10-17-2002, 12:07 AM
I think the idea of using the plastic store-bought sword as a base is a good idea. You could try covering up the existing blade with foamcore or matting board (as they're a little more durable than cardboard.)

Wow. This looks like a real challenge. Good luck with it.

Space Invader
10-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Yay! I have the base for the blade complete - I had bought my friend a poster for his birthday, and it came packaged with a huge piece of nice cardboard behind it. I knew I would find a good use for it :p.

I cut two pieces of it - about 3 1/2 feet long, 4 inches wide. I then took my trusty pointy-tooth-death-stick (read: x-acto knife) and scored a line down the middle of each piece, which was then bent in half. Masking tape together. Cut 4 little triangles out of the cardboard, taped those on the end to make the beveled point. Fill with insulating spray-foam, insert dowel rod into foam to set. Tada. Sword base. It's pretty lightweight, only about 3 pounds. Now for the hilt- I'm thinking maybe florist's foam. Model magic is a little hard to work with.

Hikaru
10-27-2002, 08:25 AM
I've seen them auctioning them on ebay. I wanted one for a future Hikaru costume but I was a little too late!

Hikaruchan
10-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Those ones on ebay are way too small - not even large enough for a kids outfit proportionately. Only thing they would be good for is reference to make a X10 bigger one.