PDA

View Full Version : Locations in Toronto?

Karitsa
08-09-2010, 09:11 PM
We're looking for a nice, uncrowded location for our One Piece photoshoot/gathering in September. I've had the discussion open for almost two weeks now, but it's time to make a decision. The few location ideas that have been mentioned are severely lacking in details. I'm not familiar with the Toronto area, so I'd like some detailed input!

Specifics...

- Uncrowded (not too many people walking in the background to ruin photos)
- Open area with unique landscape for interesting photos (hills, trees, rocks, etc.)
- Must have a source of water nearby! (river, lake, stream, etc.)
- MUST have bathrooms and/or food nearby (we're planning on spending the whole day here)

Any ideas? (Please be descriptive!)

Thanks guys! :)

VickyBunnyAngel
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
The Toronto Music Garden is right by the harbourfront. It's right next to the sailboat docks, and the abandoned Canadian Malting building. You can get a mixture of nature/gardeny photos, as well as more gritty derelict photos (at the Malt building). Behind the Malt building is a secluded area called Ireland Park (a memorial to the famine and Irish immigrants). Plenty of food nearby (Swiss Chalet, sushi, coffee shops, shoppers drug mart, grocery store). For washrooms, you may have to walk back to the Queens Quay shopping centre, since I'm not sure if there are washroom facilities near the garden during the off-tourism season.

Link to Garden:
http://www.toronto.ca/parks/music_index.htm

Link to Ireland Park photos
http://www.torontosnaps.com/Waterfront/Irish-Famine-Memorial-6159.html

There's also a man-made beach nearby at the HTO park
http://spacingtoronto.ca/2007/06/17/hto-park-torontos-waterfront-takes-a-big-step-forward/

K-Man
08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
We're looking for a nice, uncrowded location for our One Piece photoshoot/gathering in September. I've had the discussion open for almost two weeks now, but it's time to make a decision. The few location ideas that have been mentioned are severely lacking in details. I'm not familiar with the Toronto area, so I'd like some detailed input!

Specifics...

- Uncrowded (not too many people walking in the background to ruin photos)
- Open area with unique landscape for interesting photos (hills, trees, rocks, etc.)
- Must have a source of water nearby! (river, lake, stream, etc.)
- MUST have bathrooms and/or food nearby (we're planning on spending the whole day here)

Any ideas? (Please be descriptive!)

Thanks guys! :)

High Park meets alot of the requirements you're looking for. With the exception of being uncrowded depending on what's going on in the park that weekend. But it's so big, that I seriously doubt it will be too "crowded" for your purposes. But honestly, the only issue you'll really have with visitors is the curious looks and questions you might get as to why you're dressed in cosplay. Keep in mind alot of tourists do go to High Park so seeing this stuff might be new to them and some may have young children, so be aware and watch the language if ya see the youngins nearby. :-)

I've done a few photoshoots there of friends in cosplay and generally everyone is very friendly and nice about it. You may even get some people recognizing you in your cosplays. My son was in his Tails cosplay and people actually knew the character! :-)

- But in terms of location, it's right on the subway line (High Park exit and then across the street is High Park.) It's also vehicle accessible via QEW and 401. (Though QEW might be a pain with some of the closures so getting off on Lakeshore and then heading up one of the side streets would be better.) And if the weekend is REALLY NICE, it will be busy down there because everyone, for some reason, heads down to the lakeshore then! :-P

- It does have Grenadier Pond (It's actually more of a mini-lake than a typical "pond" in my opinion) which is situated by some grassy/forest like area. Lots of geese so depending on the mating season, there may be tons of geese poop by the water area or nothing at all. It just depends. Not the entire area is like that but you might encounter it in some areas.

- There is ample (I believe free) parking if you get there early enough. (If it's not free, it's fairly cheap to park for a few hrs/most of the day. Check the Toronto Parks/High Park website to be sure.) If you are driving, also take a look at the map link I've provided below and see what street to enter in from to get to the parking areas depending on what direction you're coming in from.

- By the parking lot is a restaurant (See Map link. It's called Grenadier Restaurant. It's more of a patio/bar type of restaurant I think.) but also when you exit out of the High Park subway, across the street are a bunch of fast food joints (ie- Pizza Pizza, McDee's is also a block or so away, etc...) There are also restrooms but at the top of the park area (it's basically you walk up the steps to where the restaurant/parking area is, but I do believe they also have some facilities at the bottom end of the park as well.)

- High Park is fairly large in size so you'll all be able to find areas with not too much traffic, and most people are really kind towards photographers so if they see you, they will wait till you take your picture and walk by, etc...

- High Park also has a petting zoo so you can always check that out as well. :-)

High Park is actually a very nice place to do pictures. The area I am talking about mainly is Grenadier Restaurant, where the food and parking are and then you walk down towards Hillside Gardens. (It's actually only a couple of mins walk down some stairs. The map makes it look quite longer than it really is.) The entire park is quite nice actually and literally takes a day to go thru. (When the Cherry Blossoms are blooming there, it's absolutely gorgeous for any Japanese themed and obviously, anime type cosplay photos.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/highpark/map_highpark.pdf.pdf

Cheers and have fun!

Karitsa
08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Wow! I can't thank you guys enough for being so thorough. I feel like I've been to those places now, haha! I'll definitely consider both of those as potential locations for the photoshoot. Thanks again! :)

(Any other input is still welcome.)

xoxtoxicdollxox
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi! So I was wondering if any of you know any good locations in toronto to take Vocaloid, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, Final Fantasy XIII, Kuroshitsuji,and Trinity Blood photos.
For Vocaloid it would be peferable if the location was indoors and for Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, in place like Aerith's church in the slums. Thank You in advance!:)

xoxtoxicdollxox
11-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey guys...and girls! anyonw know any location to take some great Final Fantasy XIII photos in Toronto or close to Toronto?

AzulaFan199
11-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Look up Guildwood Inn, Osgoode Hall and Casa Loma. There some nice areas to do cosplay shots.