PDA

View Full Version : how to become vegetarian! =( help me

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Already dont eat pork.

I am trying to become Vegetarian mostly because I feel sad eating animals.
I am starting by cutting down on Chicken because I dont like chicken to much.
I am going to have a hard time with Beef and fish tho.

I LOVE ME SOME FISH AND BEEF. Any Ideas that Could make this easier.

So far these are the items that contain no meat that i like.

My List

Miso Soup
Deep Fried Tofu,
Tofu KimChi
Rice
Edamame
Spedghetti without meat sauce.
SAG PANNER. (how ever it is so FATTING)

Anything else thats real yummy that i can get a restrants that is vegi... I cant cook =(

Sisshi
08-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Invest in soy products, tofu, and imitation meats. It will help wean ya off of meat if you're really comitted to becoming vegitarian. Myself that's what I ate, but you can also eat nuts to get protien, I'm alergic to them so i had a problem getting protien

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 12:31 PM
I hate nuts, no pun intended ...
Imitation meats?
http://www.yourfunnystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/imitation-lobster-and-crab-meat.jpg

Kasinator
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
those are actually made from fish. im heading to the gym now but I will be happy to answer your questions when i get back!

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
at the restaurants, there are veggie burgers, salad, veggie stir fry, tofu dishes. i am chinese, so there are a ton of varieties for me.

maybe also u should learn how to cook. honestly, making veggie stirfry is sooooooooooooo easy!

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Goodness, O_O; Well I want to do this but I travel allot with work I am rarly even at home long enough to sleep. I dont think that cooking fits into everyone's lives....
Is there anyone who could give me any Advice about dinning out, and being a vegetarian.
like EXACT things I should try That are good like. SAG PANNER and what types of restrants have them

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 12:46 PM
i love bell peppers, tofu, bean sprout, bamboo shoot, baby corn, corn, carrots... alright i love all kinds of veggies.

here is what u do, invest in a rice cooker. takes about 20 mins to cook rice. one cup jasmine rice, one cup water. etc

then buy u a wok. a medium one would do.

then buy whatever veggies u like plus tofu. for stir fry u will need the hard tofu.

then stir fry them with veggie oil or olive oil, not much oil needed though, i like mine with sauce so i add water

pan fry the tofu first so they get that golden crispiness. then add in all the veggies u want. add some soy sauce to taste, add a bit sugar, add water, then add some corn starch to make the sauce thick, at last, sprinkle a bit green onion or cilantro. done!

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
ooh and egg plant lasagna. and Indian restaurants have lots of vegetarian options veggie curry with rice or with naan oh yummy

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 12:50 PM
i love bell peppers, tofu, bean sprout, bamboo shoot, baby corn, corn, carrots... alright i love all kinds of veggies.

here is what u do, invest in a rice cooker. takes about 20 mins to cook rice. one cup jasmine rice, one cup water. etc

then buy u a wok. a medium one would do.

then buy whatever veggies u like plus tofu. for stir fry u will need the hard tofu.

then stir fry them with veggie oil or olive oil, not much oil needed though, i like mine with sauce so i add water

pan fry the tofu first so they get that golden crispiness. then add in all the veggies u want. add some soy sauce to taste, add a bit sugar, add water, then add some corn starch to make the sauce thick, at last, sprinkle a bit green onion or cilantro. done!

A rice cooker is very hard to travel with from hotel to hotel... Thank you for the help but I really need Restrant advice and dish's I can buy at or microwave... IT know I am female but I have a carrer that keeps me traveling all the time.... I RARLY am home. every now and then I will be home long enought to make somthing so it is helpful.
I do have a rice cooker at home... but its would be very hard to cook when I am in a hotel room.

egg plant lasagna... that sounds Yummy!

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 12:52 PM
A rice cooker is very hard to travel with from hotel to hotel...

yea haha i didnt see your previous post before posting... it'd be hard for u to cook traveling so much ^__^

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
yea haha i didnt see your previous post before posting... it'd be hard for u to cook traveling so much ^__^

Thanks for your help tho I am tottally lost...
egg plant lasagna SOUNDS AMAZING THO. I love indian Restrants but they have to much frys stuff it is so bad for me EEEKKK! hehehe but I could eat it all day !

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 12:59 PM
at chinese restaurants, of course veggie stir fry, veggie fried rice, veggie lo mein...etc

at japanese restaurants, hibachi with just veggies, and veggie pot stickers

at korean restaurants, veggie mandoo, Chapchae, Dongchimi Gooksu (a cool dish), Bibimbap, and veggie kimbap.

at Indian restaurants, veggie curry, tofu curry

Sea
08-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Things that are good are kind of subjective, since everyone has different tastes. If you're trying to become a vegetarian I recommend eating is lentils and soybeans, as they have a lot of iron and sometimes people who don't eat meat tend to have a deficiency of that. Also, what kind of vegetarian are you? Are you just giving up on meat, or eggs and dairy products are also on your giving up list?

onewingedjade
08-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I've been vegetarian for 8 years, I'd love to help out if I could. I'm so used to it though that I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

I laughed because under favorite meatless dishes you put 'spaghetti with meat sauce'.

When I'm busy I like Lean Cuisine pizzas, and their veggie potstickers (frozen meals!!)... most restaurants have some sort of vegetarian option. Even if they don't, having a salad for lunch won't hurt! I eat stuff like oatmeal with fruit-based protein powder, veggie burgers with vegetables and maybe a potato or something... dunno though, I really don't eat out much, can't afford it.

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Bibimbap
Veggie Pot stickers
Sound yummy... gos i am so hungery now

I am going to give up on meat then i will worry about dairy.

distantarray
08-31-2010, 01:31 PM
imitation crab meat and lobster is made from cuttlefish , which is closely related to a type of squid, it doesn't have much flavor, and basically they take lobster and crab juices and marinate it into the cuttlefish meat for flavor. Imitation crab meat is what almost every Japanese restaurants use for California rolls.

Also Kimchi is usually made with fish sauce made from fermented fish.

Also try curry with apples, eggplants and portabella mushrooms, add little chocolate (yes it goes well) and some carrots, potatoes and your ready to go.

Also becoming a vegitarian doesn't mean it's going to be initially healthy, most people don't know what exactly to eat to stay healthy, since removing an entire food group will easily throw your whole body's balance off.

so make sure your taking a protein shake or two a day, and some vitamins to ensure you stay healthy, ensuring you get everything you need will also help from meat cravings as well.

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
kimbap that i made
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs237.snc4/39168_455984317149_660127149_6364963_4295330_n.jpg

veggie stir fry noodle
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs078.ash2/37229_439056087149_660127149_5891894_4656131_n.jpg

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
imitation crab meat and lobster is made from cuttlefish , which is closely related to a type of squid, it doesn't have much flavor, and basically they take lobster and crab juices and marinate it into the cuttlefish meat for flavor. Imitation crab meat is what almost every Japanese restaurants use for California rolls.

Also Kimchi is usually made with fish sauce made from fermented fish.

Also try curry with apples, eggplants and portabella mushrooms, add little chocolate (yes it goes well) and some carrots, potatoes and your ready to go

Well there goes me wanting to eat kimchi =D thats the grossest thing i ever heard lol

What type of Restraints serve that type of curry? w/ apples, eggplants and portabella mushrooms and chocolate.

kimbap that i made
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs237.snc4/39168_455984317149_660127149_6364963_4295330_n.jpg

veggie stir fry noodle
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs078.ash2/37229_439056087149_660127149_5891894_4656131_n.jpg

OMG That looks sO GOODD!

distantarray
08-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Well there goes me wanting to eat kimchi =D thats the grossest thing i ever heard lol

What type of Restraints serve that type of curry? w/ apples, eggplants and portabella mushrooms and chocolate.

well that's traditionally not saying everyone does now, i'm sure the stuff they sell at American groceries don't use fish sauce, or too many restaurants just ask before you order.

What restaurant serves it? I dunno you make it :p

generally I can't see many curry restaurants using portabella mushrooms, shitake maybe XD

I guess this wasn't the best for the hotel thing i forgot that part lol

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I've been vegetarian for 8 years, I'd love to help out if I could. I'm so used to it though that I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

I laughed because under favorite meatless dishes you put 'spaghetti with meat sauce'.

When I'm busy I like Lean Cuisine pizzas, and their veggie potstickers (frozen meals!!)... most restaurants have some sort of vegetarian option. Even if they don't, having a salad for lunch won't hurt! I eat stuff like oatmeal with fruit-based protein powder, veggie burgers with vegetables and maybe a potato or something... dunno though, I really don't eat out much, can't afford it.

Opps Type-O I ment Without meat sauce I will edit that real quick... =F

distantarray
08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Just to clarify are you becoming a vegitarian or a vegan?

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
well that's traditionally not saying everyone does now, i'm sure the stuff they sell at American groceries don't use fish sauce, or too many restaurants just ask before you order.

What restaurant serves it? I dunno you make it :p

generally I can't see many curry restaurants using portabella mushrooms, shitake maybe XD

I guess this wasn't the best for the hotel thing i forgot that part lol

I am Rarely at my house I travel with work... I am gonna have rare times where I can cook...

Hints the reason I said "I cant cook" But the reason I cant cook is because I live out of hotels mostly with work... vegitarian. Maybe later on i might become Vegan.

distantarray
08-31-2010, 01:43 PM
I am Rarely at my house I travel with work... I am gonna have rare times where I can cook...

Hints the reason I said "I cant cook" But the reason I cant cook is because I live out of hotels mostly with work... vegitarian. Maybe later on i might become Vegan.

honestly if you can mess up curry it'll be one amazing feat lol, especially with vegitarian curry it's next to impossible, I know your blond but I doubt that blond ;)

You can microwave all the veggies, prepare the curry and just stir. only way you can really mess up curry is if you don't stir often enough and let it burn.

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 01:46 PM
honestly if you can mess up curry it'll be one amazing feat lol, especially with vegitarian curry it's next to impossible, I know your blond but I doubt that blond ;)

You can microwave all the veggies, prepare the curry and just stir. only way you can really mess up curry is if you don't stir often enough and let it burn.

Yea my natural hair color is blue.. =D

not but i am serious I CANT COOK most of the times... I work to much I travel around the united states. .. and somtimes outside of the states =| EEK!
Um so most hotels I stay in dont have oven's. or pots and pans and stuff....
SO I can't cook...
I MEAN I can cook I am a very good cook... But it is hard to NowAdays you have to pay extra for even microwaves in your hotel room and thats studpid and I refuse to do that even so....
somtimes I have a mircowave I gusse I could microwave the curry but that sounds nasty...

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 01:58 PM

there are kimchi not made with fish sauce... but it's hard to find or ask... hahaha my korean friend's mom was a cook at a korean restaurant and she doesnt make hers with fish sauce...

OMG That looks sO GOODD![/QUOTE]

hehe too bad u are not my neighbor, she can tell you she gets to eat my cooking ALOT she is Traxy on this site. haha :)

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Yea my natural hair color is blue.. =D

not but i am serious I CANT COOK most of the times... I work to much I travel around the united states. .. and somtimes outside of the states =| EEK!
Um so most hotels I stay in dont have oven's. or pots and pans and stuff....
SO I can't cook...
I MEAN I can cook I am a very good cook... But it is hard to NowAdays you have to pay extra for even microwaves in your hotel room and thats studpid and I refuse to do that even so....
somtimes I have a mircowave I gusse I could microwave the curry but that sounds nasty...

hahaha true. microwaving curry..... um... no :lost:

but u can do ur curry in a rice cooker! hahah u can steam, boil, even stir fry in a rick cooker... as long as u have an outlet, u are good!

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Well If I am ever in OKalahoma I am gonna just barg into you house and be like cook for me lol...
jokeing =D
but no i will contact you if I every do go there I am thinking I might end up there on Feb I would love to go to your friends restrant tho while I am there =D

distantarray
08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Rice-in-a-Microwave

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-duran/microwave-chicken-curry-recipe/index.html

if you really want to do something you can :)

but in a hotel without a real kitchen it'd be a pain in the butt to prepare a lot of stuff to put in, maybe go get some steamed mixed veggies at a restaurant and just throw it into the curry mix?

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-duran/microwave-chicken-curry-recipe/index.html

but in a hotel without a real kitchen it'd be a pain in the butt to prepare a lot of stuff to put in, maybe go get some steamed mixed veggies at a restaurant and just throw it into the curry mix?

hey that's an excellent idea! a package of curry sauce mix, a package of mix veggies, and if you can find some tofu? throw that in there too! :bigtu:

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

that is a very good idea and sounds yummy <3

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Well If I am ever in OKalahoma I am gonna just barg into you house and be like cook for me lol...
jokeing =D
but no i will contact you if I every do go there I am thinking I might end up there on Feb I would love to go to your friends restrant tho while I am there =D

oh girl, when u do come, we will just go to her mom's house! f' going to restaurants, moms can cook so much better! um.... maybe by then, my mom will be here too, she doesnt eat much meat... so she cooks alot of vegetarian dishes! oohhh.. i am excited now. yeah... oh u know what? when u come here, we will do hot pot! it is a fantastic way to have dinner in the winter. what u do is that u have a portable gas stove with a pot on top, add broth to the pot, we had two pots last time coz we had 10 people. then all u have to do is put whatever u want in the boiling broth and eat when done.

i made dumplings last time, one veggie kind and two meat kinds!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs109.snc4/35809_439511537149_660127149_5905812_7161329_n.jpg

i was making the veggie one
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs066.snc4/34675_439514187149_660127149_5905859_6150139_n.jpg

ok, dont mind my goofy face... but to give u an idea of what hot pot is
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs046.snc4/34675_439514307149_660127149_5905882_6296431_n.jpg

but we can make a vegetarian pot, one meat pot. so the meat lovers can still eat meat!

Kasinator
08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
kimbap that i made

veggie stir fry noodle

someones cooking looks like fine dining! :bigtu:

I was going to put in my two cents, but it looks like you got your stuff covered! Literally 28 posts in less than 2 hours. i'm impressed!

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 03:21 PM
someones cooking looks like fine dining! :bigtu:

I was going to put in my two cents, but it looks like you got your stuff covered! Literally 28 posts in less than 2 hours. i'm impressed!

hehe thanks! when u had to live alone without ur mom while going to college, u learned fast how to cook quick meals. and since my mom is a great cook, i merely inherited from her! lol

i am a forum whore, so ya.... half of the posts are from me! LOL :rofl:

Brand
08-31-2010, 03:53 PM
If you feel bad eating animals you could switch to eating babies. They have no souls.

Kasinator
08-31-2010, 04:16 PM
If you feel bad eating animals you could switch to eating babies. They have no souls.

ಠ_ಠ

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 04:22 PM
oh girl, when u do come, we will just go to her mom's house! f' going to restaurants, moms can cook so much better! um.... maybe by then, my mom will be here too, she doesnt eat much meat... so she cooks alot of vegetarian dishes! oohhh.. i am excited now. yeah... oh u know what? when u come here, we will do hot pot! it is a fantastic way to have dinner in the winter. what u do is that u have a portable gas stove with a pot on top, add broth to the pot, we had two pots last time coz we had 10 people. then all u have to do is put whatever u want in the boiling broth and eat when done.

i made dumplings last time, one veggie kind and two meat kinds!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs109.snc4/35809_439511537149_660127149_5905812_7161329_n.jpg

i was making the veggie one
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs066.snc4/34675_439514187149_660127149_5905859_6150139_n.jpg

ok, dont mind my goofy face... but to give u an idea of what hot pot is
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs046.snc4/34675_439514307149_660127149_5905882_6296431_n.jpg

but we can make a vegetarian pot, one meat pot. so the meat lovers can still eat meat!

that looks so GOOD

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
ah... now i am gonna have to think about what i am making for dinner!!!

Rhazia
08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Protein isn't the only thing you have to worry about as a vegetarian. Iron and vitamin B12 are two things that come to mind. For iron, try to eat a variety of nuts, seeds and legumes. They're loaded with the stuff and are also a great source of good fats and protein. Fortified cereals are easy (no cooking!) and do in a pinch. Just keep in mind that non-animal sources of iron aren't as easily absorbed by the body as animal sources. Vitamin C can help with this.

B12 you need to get from animal sources. Milk and eggs are great for this. If you end up going vegan B12 will need to be obtained from supplements. A lot of fake meats are fortified with the stuff, too.

Another thing you may want to consider is having your vitamin levels tested by your physician when you go for your physical. Just inform them about the change in your diet and be tested accordingly.

Good luck!

hongkongchick
08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
she hates nuts.. hahaha

yea iron is very important in ur diet, without meat, ur iron intake will drop soooo much.

kristihasukie
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Protein isn't the only thing you have to worry about as a vegetarian. Iron and vitamin B12 are two things that come to mind. For iron, try to eat a variety of nuts, seeds and legumes. They're loaded with the stuff and are also a great source of good fats and protein. Fortified cereals are easy (no cooking!) and do in a pinch. Just keep in mind that non-animal sources of iron aren't as easily absorbed by the body as animal sources. Vitamin C can help with this.

B12 you need to get from animal sources. Milk and eggs are great for this. If you end up going vegan B12 will need to be obtained from supplements. A lot of fake meats are fortified with the stuff, too.

Another thing you may want to consider is having your vitamin levels tested by your physician when you go for your physical. Just inform them about the change in your diet and be tested accordingly.

Good luck!

I already take alots of vitmins...

My first day as a vegetarian went ok. I messed up tho I ordered Korean food and got somthing with beef and fishcake in it... OH BUT IT Was yummy and there wasnt much beef in it... but still...

WISH ME LUCK FOR TOMARROW!

heheh, and I do hate nuts lol

distantarray
09-01-2010, 03:07 AM
I already take alots of vitmins...

My first day as a vegetarian went ok. I messed up tho I ordered Korean food and got somthing with beef and fishcake in it... OH BUT IT Was yummy and there wasnt much beef in it... but still...

WISH ME LUCK FOR TOMARROW!

heheh, and I do hate nuts lol

Looks like Mr. Planters will be sad :walkoff:

Make sure your taking some iron supplements if your not getting iron, also probably some brown rice or wheat protein powder would probably be good, but if you have no problem drinking milk, whey protein would be a good choice.

kristihasukie
09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I drink Rice Milk is that ok?

bodatheyoda
09-01-2010, 10:51 AM
this isn't really the answer you are looking for but...eat what you like. Don't label yourself if you aren't 100% sure what you want. If you really wanted to become a vegetarian you would know how.

Though I'm kind of biased because of my undying love for meat products...lol

kristihasukie
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
this isn't really the answer you are looking for but...eat what you like. Don't label yourself if you aren't 100% sure what you want. If you really wanted to become a vegetarian you would know how.

Though I'm kind of biased because of my undying love for meat products...lol

No it isn't that simple, People hide meat products in other things... Im glad you as a meat eater couldn't understand... dont JUDGE ME. it is very hard to stop eatting meat cause my brain wants it...
I found out there are products that I Tought where vegetarian that arn't at all... sorry if I seen offensive but what you said offended me...

Rant Over.

BTW I am 100% sure eating Animals is wrong in my book but I wont judge other people for doing it because they are tasty. and I am trying very hard to stop eatting meat. it is very hard.

Braithcakes
09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Garden burgers are SO good.

uhm, you can get really good proteins from ALOT of nuts, soybeans, Edamame beans and babycorn ae REALLLY good for you and also happen to be very tastey(I have an addiction) and you can find them at your local foodmart.

Publix, sams club, Costco if it exists where you are.

stay away from anything that says imitation.

Soy and tofu products are a go.

if it has Vegetarian or Veggie tacked on it, It's probably safe.

when eating out, if you're unsure if something has meat in it, just ask if does or not ^^

I'll try to look up more tastey stuff for you, if you'd like.

I'm not veghead because I eat chicken, but that's about the only meat I'll even touch.

Suiseiseki0284
09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
One thing you haven't answered is what "type" of vegetarian you want be. ( At least to my knowledge )

Do you want to be a strict vegan? ( AKA No meat, and no foods made from animals or animal products, this includes things such as milk and honey )

Or are you more relaxed? Are milk and eggs okay in your diet? What about Pescetarianism? ( Eating fish but no other meat)

Also, to avoid "accidently" ordering food with meat in it, ask the restraurant if they provide vegetarian or vegan friendly menu items. A lot of menus will even have them marked out.

hongkongchick
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Garden burgers are SO good.

uhm, you can get really good proteins from ALOT of nuts, soybeans, Edamame beans and babycorn ae REALLLY good for you and also happen to be very tastey(I have an addiction) and you can find them at your local foodmart.

Publix, sams club, Costco if it exists where you are.

stay away from anything that says imitation.

Soy and tofu products are a go.

if it has Vegetarian or Veggie tacked on it, It's probably safe.

when eating out, if you're unsure if something has meat in it, just ask if does or not ^^

I'll try to look up more tastey stuff for you, if you'd like.

I'm not veghead because I eat chicken, but that's about the only meat I'll even touch.

i agree! veggie burgers can be very very tasty!

imitation crab meat is made with fish and other stuff. so yea, imitation stuff usually are not safe.

if i were to pick one meat i eat, it sure as hell wouldnt be chicken! AHAHA lol unless it's free range, organic chicken. i am into organic stuff :love:

it's very hard to become a vegan, i mean eggs are soooooo goood, and i love love love seafood....

DevTehFiend
09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
i agree! veggie burgers can be very very tasty!

imitation crab meat is made with fish and other stuff. so yea, imitation stuff usually are not safe.

if i were to pick one meat i eat, it sure as hell wouldnt be chicken! AHAHA lol unless it's free range, organic chicken. i am into organic stuff :love:

it's very hard to become a vegan, i mean eggs are soooooo goood, and i love love love seafood....

Chicken is one of the healthiest meats for you, so if I had to give up all other I would stick with chicken. Chick-Fil-A made me want to become a vegetarian at one point though because the cows in their adds made me sad. :( It's hard to eat meat when you think about where it came from.

One thing that can help everyone that either doesn't have a lot of time to cook or doesn't know a lot of recipes is everything can be made into a soup.

My dad makes this yummy soup out of left overs sometimes, it's made with just veggies and it's SO good, especially on cold winter nights. He takes things like cabages and carrots and potatoes and a few other veggies that I can't remember, and boils them in water. He adds some soup mix powders (like, from ramen and stuff) for flavor, and then once all the veggies are nice and soft he puts a few in the blender at a time with some of the broth and blends it, then puts that in another pot and repeats until all the veggies have been blended. It turns into a nice thick soup and is very yummy and simple for those left overs you don't know what to do with.

The neat thing about that soup is you can make it with any veggies, even add meat (for those not becoming vegetarian), and use whatever kind of flavor mixes you want and how much you want. No set recipe, just use what you like or what ever is lying around the house.

hongkongchick
09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Chicken is one of the healthiest meats for you, so if I had to give up all other I would stick with chicken. Chick-Fil-A made me want to become a vegetarian at one point though because the cows in their adds made me sad. :( It's hard to eat meat when you think about where it came from.

no doubt that chicken is healthy for you. i love chicken too, but them not being organic means, they have soooo much hormones in them that chicks might only take a few weeks to be grown chickens and to be eaten whereas a free range one takes several months? yea, i might just become a vegan, not coz i feel bad for the animals, because it's scary, it's against nature.... :rofl:

DevTehFiend
09-01-2010, 12:46 PM
no doubt that chicken is healthy for you. i love chicken too, but them not being organic means, they have soooo much hormones in them that chicks might only take a few weeks to be grown chickens and to be eaten whereas a free range one takes several months? yea, i might just become a vegan, not coz i feel bad for the animals, because it's scary, it's against nature.... :rofl:

I'm not that worried about that kind of thing. I took some Ag classes in middle school (was a new school, they didn't have any music or art classes yet. -_- made me so mad!) and the teacher talked briefly about the stuff they treat animals with and I didn't feel any cause for concern in the end.

The only time during that class, as a matter of fact, that I felt I couldn't eat meat was close to the end of the school year. My friend had a pig that she had raised for show, and he won first place and after the showing they had to take him for slaughter. She and several other students afterwords couldn't eat pork for a good six months after that.

hongkongchick
09-01-2010, 01:47 PM
yea it's hard to take a "pet" to the slaughter house.......

without the hormones, chicken farmers cant profit as much, plus all these young girls starting to have boobs at age 8? not normal.

i am all about how people did things back in the day, when they didnt have hormones, pesticide, and other chemicals fed to the animals and veggies. and people worked instead of play video games all day, it was a simpler time, healthier time.

kristihasukie
09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I am so Grossed out by that... so
Day 2 is going so far so good, I wanted to eat shrimp but I couldn't THATS A GOOD THING... How ever I ordered Shimp Shumai. and bite into it than spat it out and got a HAZLE NUT Bun from the french deli. I am going to be home today so I am going to make me some Fri-ToFu With melon in honey.... it sounds really yummy.. I might add some Cherrys also.

I dont think I could give up HONEY or Cheese, But I hate Milk I could only drink SOy and Rice Milk... But I rarly eat cheese. maybe one day I will give it up.

WISH ME LUCK FOR THE REST OF MY DAY. I am Craving Beef Jerky. I feel so bad cause I used so have a few pet cows =( . =(

DevTehFiend
09-01-2010, 02:18 PM

without the hormones, chicken farmers cant profit as much, plus all these young girls starting to have boobs at age 8? not normal.

i am all about how people did things back in the day, when they didnt have hormones, pesticide, and other chemicals fed to the animals and veggies. and people worked instead of play video games all day, it was a simpler time, healthier time.

I don't know, I'm torn on that. People were definitely more fit then, but they also aged quickly and died younger. People are living longer and longer in this day and age so I have to assume we're doing SOMETHING right (and yeah, I know it also has to do with the development of medicines and the ability to diagnose things we couldn't 'back in the day', but if food like this was really that bad for us then all those advancements wouldn't be working as well, right?) And despite me being over weight and having developed early, I'm still fairly healthy.

But who knows, you know? Science will tell you one thing one day and then contradict itself the next. We all just have to trust out own judgment and do our own research. I don't ever buy the food in my house though, so I guess I have to trust my parent's judgment (and I do.)

hongkongchick
09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't know, I'm torn on that. People were definitely more fit then, but they also aged quickly and died younger. People are living longer and longer in this day and age so I have to assume we're doing SOMETHING right (and yeah, I know it also has to do with the development of medicines and the ability to diagnose things we couldn't 'back in the day', but if food like this was really that bad for us then all those advancements wouldn't be working as well, right?) And despite me being over weight and having developed early, I'm still fairly healthy.

But who knows, you know? Science will tell you one thing one day and then contradict itself the next. We all just have to trust out own judgment and do our own research. I don't ever buy the food in my house though, so I guess I have to trust my parent's judgment (and I do.)

hahaha u r right. i do think we are a bunch of "healthy-looking" people who dont work out much, who dont eat right, but with the help of vitamins and medicines, we are living longer and have fewer health issues.

we have more allergy problems now than before, we have more overweight problems now than before which leads to a bunch of health problems like diabetes, heart disease, ..etc

i think it's the "egg first? chicken first?" dilemma, are we living longer because we eat better? or are we living longer because of medicines?

hongkongchick
09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I am so Grossed out by that... so
Day 2 is going so far so good, I wanted to eat shrimp but I couldn't THATS A GOOD THING... How ever I ordered Shimp Shumai. and bite into it than spat it out and got a HAZLE NUT Bun from the french deli. I am going to be home today so I am going to make me some Fri-ToFu With melon in honey.... it sounds really yummy.. I might add some Cherrys also.

I dont think I could give up HONEY or Cheese, But I hate Milk I could only drink SOy and Rice Milk... But I rarly eat cheese. maybe one day I will give it up.

WISH ME LUCK FOR THE REST OF MY DAY. I am Craving Beef Jerky. I feel so bad cause I used so have a few pet cows =( . =(

i cannot NOT eat seafood. i love sushi..... u poor thing... but i know u can do it! :bigtu:

distantarray
09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I love animals, they're delicious =)

kristihasukie
09-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I love animals, they're delicious =)

I know they are good =( but i feel sad when eatting them.

hongkongchick
09-01-2010, 07:49 PM
made some kimbap again tonight, and salad with sesame dressing. yummy

kristihasukie
09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
made some kimbap again tonight, and salad with sesame dressing. yummy

KIM BAP OH so yummy.
*I am not sure if I am given up fish yet* but I am keeping an open mind to fish =D
Yesterday I rocked I ate
Clear Soup
and Tofu Sushi roll with Kimchi that they made for me without the fish sauce.. =D
=D I still didnt cook even tho i had some time to... i was just so tired... lets see how good this diet goes in Dallas later on today... I am scared!

DevTehFiend
09-02-2010, 09:24 AM
KIM BAP OH so yummy.
*I am not sure if I am given up fish yet* but I am keeping an open mind to fish =D
Yesterday I rocked I ate
Clear Soup
and Tofu Sushi roll with Kimchi that they made for me without the fish sauce.. =D
=D I still didnt cook even tho i had some time to... i was just so tired... lets see how good this diet goes in Dallas later on today... I am scared!

You can do it! If it helps maybe keeping reminders with you to help keep you from eating meat? Like, a little cow plush in your purse, so anytime you go to order something with meat you can look at the adorable cow and think, "No, how could I eat something so cute!?"

That would keep me away from beef yes, sir. Again, it's harder to eat meats when you think about where it came from.

kristihasukie
09-02-2010, 09:27 AM
It really helps me when I think about the Chik Fa La commercials lol
heh.

DevTehFiend
09-02-2010, 10:14 AM
It really helps me when I think about the Chik Fa La commercials lol
heh.

Same. XD

Sethora
09-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Let me start by saying: Kudos to you, kristihasukie, for wanting to be a vegitarian, but most of those still eat fish. You sound more like you're trying to become vegan already, minus the dairy products. I have one friend trying to be vegan, and she goes on about how eating one egg is the equivilant of eating one whole chicken. She's an energies-based vegan. And that's her choice. This is not an attack, just a meat-eaters stand point on things. Again - I congratulate you on your life choice.

I don't know about you, but from everything I learned in school, girls start hitting puberty at 9-10 years old, and are fully enveloped in the "wonders of woman hood" at 11-12 years old. This IS normal, and it has been happening that way for quite some time. Or at least for about the past 50 years, according to my grandmother. So it's not the food making them hit puberty. It happens, and it depends on your body chemistry when it happens. Sex Ed. classes, anyone?

As for the "humanity of chickens and cows", they are born and bred to feed us, so I don't personally feel that bad. Yes, I have farmers as relatives. Yes, I have helped raise a calf. I haven't watched them be butchered, but I have seen them be milked, and I've helped with that. I can also tell you that dairy cattle are NOT the cows that get chopped up for steaks. They get bred for their specific purpose. Most of the farmers, at least up here in Canada, allow all their meat-producing cattle and chickens roam free. Nomnomnom. Plus, after you've seen a calf been born, they lose their cuteness. =/ It's gross. Way more gross than a human baby being born.

There are ALSO such things as non-organic free run chickens, and they taste identical to organic free-range chickens. I promise. The only difference? The extra $5 in my pocket from buying non-organic chicken. More nomnomnoms. And by the by, I'm not a strict meat only person - I generally only snack on veggies and fruits, and I always have a cooked veg/raw vege/fruit with every meal. I eat very balanced food groups.

Anyway - if you just want to be a vegitarian, I'd say continue to eat fish and seafood - it's good for you, and will help you get some of those vitamins that you would otherwise find difficult to attain through a strict veggie-only diet. If you're going Vegan, and you don't like nuts, you will need iron and B12 vitamins. It's not an option. A multi vitamin is sometimes not enough to get the daily intake of those that you need. I don't know - I think it's safer to stick to eating fish and going mostly vegitarian. Shrimps, crabs, lobsters and salmons are definitely NOT cute, and they have very short memories. o_o I don't think they'd care that much. >_>

hongkongchick
09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Let me start by saying: Kudos to you, kristihasukie, for wanting to be a vegitarian, but most of those still eat fish. You sound more like you're trying to become vegan already, minus the dairy products. I have one friend trying to be vegan, and she goes on about how eating one egg is the equivilant of eating one whole chicken. She's an energies-based vegan. And that's her choice. This is not an attack, just a meat-eaters stand point on things. Again - I congratulate you on your life choice.

yes it's great for her to decide to do this. awesome! :)

I don't know about you, but from everything I learned in school, girls start hitting puberty at 9-10 years old, and are fully enveloped in the "wonders of woman hood" at 11-12 years old. This IS normal, and it has been happening that way for quite some time. Or at least for about the past 50 years, according to my grandmother. So it's not the food making them hit puberty. It happens, and it depends on your body chemistry when it happens. Sex Ed. classes, anyone?

first of all, cute comment "sex ed. classes, anyone?" but no need for that missy. second of all, you really think sex ed actually helps? better yet, sex ed in elementary? i bet most of us dont even remember having sex ed in school, let along learning anything.

third, there are numerous studies showing earlier development in girls, some even as early as 6 then start masturbating a couple of years after??!! not normal. yea some girls started to have boobs and all, but i am talking about starting their periods at 7 or 8, no.... that's not very normal.

As for the "humanity of chickens and cows", they are born and bred to feed us, so I don't personally feel that bad. Yes, I have farmers as relatives. Yes, I have helped raise a calf. I haven't watched them be butchered, but I have seen them be milked, and I've helped with that. I can also tell you that dairy cattle are NOT the cows that get chopped up for steaks. They get bred for their specific purpose. Most of the farmers, at least up here in Canada, allow all their meat-producing cattle and chickens roam free. Nomnomnom. Plus, after you've seen a calf been born, they lose their cuteness. =/ It's gross. Way more gross than a human baby being born.

yea i feel the same... i have friends that own calf farm.... yea.... gross

There are ALSO such things as non-organic free run chickens, and they taste identical to organic free-range chickens. I promise. The only difference? The extra $5 in my pocket from buying non-organic chicken. More nomnomnoms. And by the by, I'm not a strict meat only person - I generally only snack on veggies and fruits, and I always have a cooked veg/raw vege/fruit with every meal. I eat very balanced food groups.

yes Sherlock, i know there are cage free chickens. i used to get those alot when i was in HOng Kong. heck, we have local organic eggs and chickens, even goats, veggies in HK, i didnt wanna brag about having the greatest fresh meat/veggie markets when i was growing up..

Anyway - if you just want to be a vegitarian, I'd say continue to eat fish and seafood - it's good for you, and will help you get some of those vitamins that you would otherwise find difficult to attain through a strict veggie-only diet. If you're going Vegan, and you don't like nuts, you will need iron and B12 vitamins. It's not an option. A multi vitamin is sometimes not enough to get the daily intake of those that you need. I don't know - I think it's safer to stick to eating fish and going mostly vegitarian. Shrimps, crabs, lobsters and salmons are definitely NOT cute, and they have very short memories. o_o I don't think they'd care that much. >_>

i agree, seafood not cute! AHAHA i love seafood! lol at the short memory thing! AHAHA :toothy:

now i only posted this in regards to ur post coz i felt a little bit of a condescending attitude from you. i could be wrong since this is the internet, sometimes sarcasm dont translate well online. if i am, sorry in advance.

Sethora
09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
first of all, cute comment "sex ed. classes, anyone?" but no need for that missy. second of all, you really think sex ed actually helps? better yet, sex ed in elementary? i bet most of us dont even remember having sex ed in school, let along learning anything.

third, there are numerous studies showing earlier development in girls, some even as early as 6 then start masturbating a couple of years after??!! not normal. yea some girls started to have boobs and all, but i am talking about starting their periods at 7 or 8, no.... that's not very normal.

Please feel free to read this exerpt, from a pediatrician, about normal puberty in girls. Right here. (http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/conditions/a/early_puberty.htm) And this one as well, more specifically, on the second page. This one is about "early puberty" in girls and boys alike, and what causes it, again from a collective of doctors.Right here. (http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sexual/precocious.html) Please do not start a debate without some evidence to back it up.

Here's a quote from the second article that stood out to me:

"Sometimes, precocious [Early] puberty stems from a structural problem in the brain (such as a tumor), brain injury due to head trauma, an infection (such as meningitis), or a problem in the ovaries or thyroid gland that triggers the onset of puberty ahead of schedule — but this usually isn't the case.

For the majority of girls, there's no underlying medical problem — they simply start puberty too early for no known reason."

What's that? No known reason? It just happens!? By god, that doctor is mad! [/funny brittish accent and sarcasm] Anywho, that was not meant to sound mean, just a point to look at the fact. Need to go back ontopic again..

yes Sherlock, i know there are cage free chickens. i used to get those alot when i was in HOng Kong. heck, we have local organic eggs and chickens, even goats, veggies in HK, i didnt wanna brag about having the greatest fresh meat/veggie markets when i was growing up..

I'm saying - for thos of us that do not want to go broke on organic food, there is such a thing as free-range, NORMAL chickens, and they taste the same as organic ones. I've lived in japan, had home grown chickens. They taste the same as the ones in the stores here, albeit fresher, as we killed them and ate them teh same day. =/

i agree, seafood not cute! AHAHA i love seafood! lol at the short memory thing! AHAHA :toothy:

now i only posted this in regards to ur post coz i felt a little bit of a condescending attitude from you. i could be wrong since this is the internet, sometimes sarcasm dont translate well online. if i am, sorry in advance.

No, they're not, and they taste fantastic. OMNOMNOM.

I get very defensive when I start to debate. The law student in my, I guess! I'm sorry that what I say comes across as harsh - Stupid lawyer training.

hongkongchick
09-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Please feel free to read this exerpt, from a pediatrician, about normal puberty in girls. Right here. (http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/conditions/a/early_puberty.htm) And this one as well, more specifically, on the second page. This one is about "early puberty" in girls and boys alike, and what causes it, again from a collective of doctors.Right here. (http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sexual/precocious.html) Please do not start a debate without some evidence to back it up.

Here's a quote from the second article that stood out to me:

"Sometimes, precocious [Early] puberty stems from a structural problem in the brain (such as a tumor), brain injury due to head trauma, an infection (such as meningitis), or a problem in the ovaries or thyroid gland that triggers the onset of puberty ahead of schedule — but this usually isn't the case.

For the majority of girls, there's no underlying medical problem — they simply start puberty too early for no known reason."

What's that? No known reason? It just happens!? By god, that doctor is mad! [/funny brittish accent and sarcasm] Anywho, that was not meant to sound mean, just a point to look at the fact. Need to go back ontopic again..

I'm saying - for thos of us that do not want to go broke on organic food, there is such a thing as free-range, NORMAL chickens, and they taste the same as organic ones. I've lived in japan, had home grown chickens. They taste the same as the ones in the stores here, albeit fresher, as we killed them and ate them teh same day. =/

No, they're not, and they taste fantastic. OMNOMNOM.

I get very defensive when I start to debate. The law student in my, I guess! I'm sorry that what I say comes across as harsh - Stupid lawyer training.

i gotta say one thing though, doctors dont know anything. WHAHA LOL just kidding. :toothy:

it's funny. who was debating? me and DevTehFiend were simply exchanging opinions (friendly type too). and like my previous post stated, i only responded because i sensed a bit of the "i know everything, and you dont" attitude. (maybe that's a lawyer thing) i had no intention to prove anything. it's kinda like superstition, it's there if u believe, it's not if you dont type of deal. yea u can use all the "expert opinion" to "prove" your point. but then dont scientists/doctors get stuff wrong too? um... just a thought. oh plus, i am from another country, our culture and yours are very different. there are things that we believe but the "western" countries dont because all they care about is scientific facts. but that's alright. as long as we respect each other's culture, that's cool. :skidude2:

ooh... u know what? i love fresh chicken! gosh, that just makes my mouth water! but here in my state, unless i wanna go to the butchers, i wont get fresh meat... sad.... :blubber:

oh gosh, we really should get back on topic haha :toothy:

UsakoLuna
09-02-2010, 07:33 PM
If you don't want to cut out fish, studies have shown shell fish don't really feel pain

ZenErik
09-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Deep fried tofu and veggie burgers are excellent meat substitutes for me. Personally, I will never be a vegetarian, but I try not to eat very much meat, especially beef. As for the whole "save the animals" side of things. It is sad the way animals are treated, but it's not really any worse than how the fruit and vegetables most of us eat are treated.. Just because they do not feel it, does not make it okay. That bias makes ME sad. Daww, animals have cute faces so it's so tragic. Fruit, vegetables, fungi, etc. don't so no one cares about those mass slaughterings.

Anyway, because of how rare it is for me to eat beef anymore, it's become harder to digest and feels so much heavier. Kind of tiring too.

distantarray
09-03-2010, 03:26 AM

If it depends on your body changes happen and it depends on body chemistry, why it is something that only started to change within the last 50 years? It could be towards lifestyle changes, but if it's relies just on body chemistry alone it's quite convenient many things started to change around the time that processed foods started becoming readily available. thousands of years of recorded history, and things just started rapidly changing within a few generations leave a lot to be questioned.

So basically your humanity and your concern with life and how living beings are treated are only based on the purpose of their birth? So let me ask you this, when you watched Matrix movie (which i'm pretty sure you have, if not my bad) Did you not cringe at the thought of machines using humans as batteries? Or did you also personally didn't feel that bad cause that was the purpose of birth in the movie?

Also if you seen cattle get chopped up you might think differently as well, they're supposed to get knocked out with electrical charge for humane reasons, but often cows still remain conscious when they are butchered as well.

Also stating facts are great, but if a calf is cute or not and what's gross or not is just all based on opinion. I'm also glad you live in a country where they have stricter guidelines and a government that takes care of the people much better than the one I'm in.

I used to believe that people couldn't taste the difference between non organic foods, but ever had non-organic eggs compared to organic eggs? Especially hard boiled since there is no oil or anything else that could be added to the taste, in a blind taste test with a friend who had this arguement in the past (working in restaurant industry) we could both taste the difference quite easily. Also did a taste test with organic milk with lactaid milk last week, and organic milk was much more flavorful.

Of course this could be based on opinions but at the sametime some people are colorblind, have more sensitive hearing, smell, and touch, and I believe this goes well with taste as well, I've been raised in a restaurant family and raised as a food critic more than anything. We'd go to different restaurants and parents would always ask us what is good, what is bad, what could be better with everything we ate, and tried to apply it to our cooking as well, so many of us could have a more trained sense of taste than most.

The conclusion is in our opinion we could clearly taste the difference, be free to argue but it's all based on opinions at the end.

if she eats fish and seafood she wouldn't really be a Vegitarian... that's like a person saying she's a virgin cause he only stuck it in half way imo. Kinda stupid analogy but I'm quite amused at the moment =)

Also if you think seafood have very short memories you should go watch an episode of mythbusters where they actually dispelled the myth that goldfish has a short memory span by creating mazes for them to access their food. The times decreased each time through continious testing.

hongkongchick
09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
if she eats fish and seafood she wouldn't really be a Vegitarian... that's like a person saying she's a virgin cause he only stuck it in half way imo. Kinda stupid analogy but I'm quite amused at the moment =)

wahahaha :D true true

DevTehFiend
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
i gotta say one thing though, doctors dont know anything. WHAHA LOL just kidding. :toothy:

it's funny. who was debating? me and DevTehFiend were simply exchanging opinions (friendly type too). and like my previous post stated, i only responded because i sensed a bit of the "i know everything, and you dont" attitude. (maybe that's a lawyer thing) i had no intention to prove anything. it's kinda like superstition, it's there if u believe, it's not if you dont type of deal. yea u can use all the "expert opinion" to "prove" your point. but then dont scientists/doctors get stuff wrong too? um... just a thought. oh plus, i am from another country, our culture and yours are very different. there are things that we believe but the "western" countries dont because all they care about is scientific facts. but that's alright. as long as we respect each other's culture, that's cool. :skidude2:

ooh... u know what? i love fresh chicken! gosh, that just makes my mouth water! but here in my state, unless i wanna go to the butchers, i wont get fresh meat... sad.... :blubber:

oh gosh, we really should get back on topic haha :toothy:

Also, one thing I'd like to point out, it was quoted as 'no known reason' not 'no reason at all.' And being that the reason isn't known can't a hypothesis be that it's hormones in food? *strokes imaginary beard* Something to consider?

ZenErik
09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
wahahaha :D true true
I have quite a few friends that call themselves vegetarians but eat seafood. Pescetarian anyone? I don't get it. I understand it if the person just does not like the taste of those various animals that they do not eat, but it seems that somehow the killing and eating of cows, pigs, chickens, etc. is awful. HOWEVER, eating seafood is A-OKAY.

Sethora
09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
If it depends on your body changes happen and it depends on body chemistry, why it is something that only started to change within the last 50 years? It could be towards lifestyle changes, but if it's relies just on body chemistry alone it's quite convenient many things started to change around the time that processed foods started becoming readily available. thousands of years of recorded history, and things just started rapidly changing within a few generations leave a lot to be questioned.

I said going back as far as 50 years. Full-on puberty does not happen til 10-11 years old in girls, but signs start showing up as early as 7 or 8. I'm not saying that it only started happening 50 years ago. I said, as you pointed out AT LEAST 50 years ago. Meaning it could, and probably does, go back farther, but I don't have an older source to check with. Good job taking what I mean and not understanding basic english once again.

So basically your humanity and your concern with life and how living beings are treated are only based on the purpose of their birth? So let me ask you this, when you watched Matrix movie (which i'm pretty sure you have, if not my bad) Did you not cringe at the thought of machines using humans as batteries? Or did you also personally didn't feel that bad cause that was the purpose of birth in the movie?

One, robots are not humans, so no, I don't agree with it. They did not need to sustain life, they could have used solar power as a battery. Robots are not living creatures. They are technology. As humans, we can not use the sun as our sole way to survive, so we must eat what has been presented to us. Just as dogs and cats are bred to be companions, some cows and chickens are bred as food. To help humanity sustain life. As they have for ages.

I'm not saying she's wrong in her views, which you seem to have misunderstood as well, but seriously? If you want to stop people eating cows and chickens, because it's "inhumane" to eat something thats sole purpose is to be my dinner, you may as well just go kill all of them on the planet; You can't have them all left alive to ruin the atmosphere for no reason with all the methane they produce. -> In one year, cows in North America produce more methane and CO_2 than the cars that are driven.

Also if you seen cattle get chopped up you might think differently as well, they're supposed to get knocked out with electrical charge for humane reasons, but often cows still remain conscious when they are butchered as well.

Get a stronger tazer.

Also stating facts are great, but if a calf is cute or not and what's gross or not is just all based on opinion. I'm also glad you live in a country where they have stricter guidelines and a government that takes care of the people much better than the one I'm in.

Yep, I do. So I'll continue to eat my Alberta Beef, thanks.

I used to believe that people couldn't taste the difference between non organic foods, but ever had non-organic eggs compared to organic eggs? Especially hard boiled since there is no oil or anything else that could be added to the taste, in a blind taste test with a friend who had this arguement in the past (working in restaurant industry) we could both taste the difference quite easily. Also did a taste test with organic milk with lactaid milk last week, and organic milk was much more flavorful.

Lactaid milk is sweeter than normal milk. Taking the Lactose out of normal milk also makes it taste different. Just because milk is organic does NOT make it lactose-free. Lactose free milks taste VERY different from regular milk. That's like comparing Apples to Oranges. Good try though. As for the eggs, free-range eggs taste different (slightly) than normal eggs. Like I said before, just because it says 'free-range' doesn't mean it's organic. It simply means it's not cooped up all day. Organic free range and regular free range taste identical. Same with organic and non-organic produce (–noun prod·uce 12. something that is produced; yield; product. 13. agricultural products collectively, esp. vegetables and fruits.). They taste identical. Again, the only difference is +$5 in my pocet from buying non-organic tomatoes vs. organic ones.

Of course this could be based on opinions but at the sametime some people are colorblind, have more sensitive hearing, smell, and touch, and I believe this goes well with taste as well, I've been raised in a restaurant family and raised as a food critic more than anything. We'd go to different restaurants and parents would always ask us what is good, what is bad, what could be better with everything we ate, and tried to apply it to our cooking as well, so many of us could have a more trained sense of taste than most.

The conclusion is in our opinion we could clearly taste the difference, be free to argue but it's all based on opinions at the end.

Probably all in your head.

Also if you think seafood have very short memories you should go watch an episode of mythbusters where they actually dispelled the myth that goldfish has a short memory span by creating mazes for them to access their food. The times decreased each time through continious testing.

Vegan: a vegetarian who omits all animal products from the diet.

Vegetarians can eat animal byproducts, such as fish oils and immitation meats, cheese, yogurt, and milk. VEGANS cut out all byproducts. From what it sounds like, no one has mentioned this very clear difference; most vegetarians that I know will also eat fish, because, as pointed out, they don't really feal pain, and, from their stand point, they don't want to eat the animals that can. And that's their choice. You have a habit of reading things you don't like and turning them completely around. I never ONCE said that "No, kristihasukie, you can't be a vegetarian!"

I said she should probably decide if she's a vegetarian or a vegan. The difference was never pointed out between the two.

The adverage fish is not put through mazes every day in order to improve their memory. While the potential is there for memory, the fact is, they don't have it, as they don't need to do the same thing to get their food every day. The most though a salmon has is, "Swim up stream, lay eggs, die." That's about as complicated as a wild fish gets. Your mythbusters argument is irrelevant, as they were training the fish. And besides, it was meant as a satirical remark to begin with.

Seriously? You look into things FAR too much. I'm now leaving this thread before you get too out of control, like in the milk thread. I'm tired of you, and I'm tired of the way you seem to think that everyone is against you, or everyone that believes different than you, distantarray, is wrong.

Sethora
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I have quite a few friends that call themselves vegetarians but eat seafood. Pescetarian anyone? I don't get it. I understand it if the person just does not like the taste of those various animals that they do not eat, but it seems that somehow the killing and eating of cows, pigs, chickens, etc. is awful. HOWEVER, eating seafood is A-OKAY.

All I have to say is - Exactly. VEGANS want nothing to do with any type of meat. Vegetarians can pick and choose whether or not they want to eat seafood.

hongkongchick
09-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Also, one thing I'd like to point out, it was quoted as 'no known reason' not 'no reason at all.' And being that the reason isn't known can't a hypothesis be that it's hormones in food? *strokes imaginary beard* Something to consider?

yup you are exactly right!!!!! *nodding my empty head* haha

hongkongchick
09-03-2010, 11:38 AM

exactly. i rarely eat meat, but i do eat seafood (sushi is my vice) and my mom doesnt eat meat either, but she does eat fish. but we dont call ourselves vegetarians! simply coz we eat some type of meat. though our not eating meat has really nothing to do with baby animals being cute. coz i know, if i were poor and living in rural China, if meat is available, i will def eat them to survive! :toothy:

Sethora
09-03-2010, 11:43 AM

"A concern about an increase in cases of girls reaching puberty or menarche early (at age eight or younger) in Puerto Rico, led to an investigation in the early 1980s by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Samples of meat and chicken from Puerto Rico were tested for steroid hormone residues. One laboratory found a chicken sample from a local market to have higher than normal level of estrogen. Also, residues of zeranol were reported in the blood of some of the girls who had reached puberty early. However, these results could not be verified by other laboratories. Following CDC's investigation, USDA tested 150 to 200 beef, poultry and milk samples from Puerto Rico in 1985, and found no residues of DES, zeranol or estrogen in these samples.

In another study in Italy, steroid hormone residues in beef and poultry in school meals were suspected as the cause of breast enlargement in very young girls and boys. However, the suspect beef and poultry samples were not available to test for the presence of hormones. Without proof that exposure to higher levels of steroid hormones occurred through food, it is not possible to conclude whether or not eating hormone-treated meat or poultry caused the breast enlargement in these cases."

At least I do my homework. =/

hongkongchick
09-03-2010, 11:48 AM
As humans, we can not use the sun as our sole way to survive, so we must eat what has been presented to us. Just as dogs and cats are bred to be companions, some cows and chickens are bred as food. To help humanity sustain life. As they have for ages.

actually, i completely agree with you on this. i am sorry to all the vegans and veterinarians out there, but since the beginning of time, animals are for us humans to eat to survive....

granted, i do think animals are cute (when they are babies) but when it comes down to it. humans do need the nutrients that animals provide to live. we have way better medicine and supplements now that we can survive without meat, but it's still not the same.

dude, i have tried the no meat diet for about 6 months, yea i lost weight, quite a lot actually, but i was always tired, dizzy, and just blah.... :burger:

DevTehFiend
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM
"A concern about an increase in cases of girls reaching puberty or menarche early (at age eight or younger) in Puerto Rico, led to an investigation in the early 1980s by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Samples of meat and chicken from Puerto Rico were tested for steroid hormone residues. One laboratory found a chicken sample from a local market to have higher than normal level of estrogen. Also, residues of zeranol were reported in the blood of some of the girls who had reached puberty early. However, these results could not be verified by other laboratories. Following CDC's investigation, USDA tested 150 to 200 beef, poultry and milk samples from Puerto Rico in 1985, and found no residues of DES, zeranol or estrogen in these samples.

In another study in Italy, steroid hormone residues in beef and poultry in school meals were suspected as the cause of breast enlargement in very young girls and boys. However, the suspect beef and poultry samples were not available to test for the presence of hormones. Without proof that exposure to higher levels of steroid hormones occurred through food, it is not possible to conclude whether or not eating hormone-treated meat or poultry caused the breast enlargement in these cases."

At least I do my homework. =/

I said it could be something to consider, I never said it was fact. With science you can never know. A few years ago they were saying, "OMG DON'T COOK YOUR CARROTS! It makes them not good for you no more!" and just recently they contracted what they said, and instead said, "Psh! There's nothing wrong with cooked carrots, they're just as healthy for you."

With the advancement of science we may discover something different than the studies today. There is nothing wrong with speculating and I never said I wouldn't ever eat this meat again. It's just something to think about and I was going by your direct quote because I don't care. I've been through puberty already, I don't really have to worry that much about it.

Sethora
09-03-2010, 12:08 PM
actually, i completely agree with you on this. i am sorry to all the vegans and veterinarians out there, but since the beginning of time, animals are for us humans to eat to survive....

granted, i do think animals are cute (when they are babies) but when it comes down to it. humans do need the nutrients that animals provide to live. we have way better medicine and supplements now that we can survive without meat, but it's still not the same.

dude, i have tried the no meat diet for about 6 months, yea i lost weight, quite a lot actually, but i was always tired, dizzy, and just blah.... :burger:

Agreed, animals are cute as babys. When they grow up, well, those cute cow plushes are an attempt to make something big and smelly look cuter than it is. Real lif is not full of cartoon cows. The no meat diet is okay... if you get the proper amount of proteins elsewhere. Many people don't, and that's what causes the fatigue. Most vegans and vegetarians have iron deficiencies, due to the loss of meats in their diet, and they do not carefully pick out iron-rich foods to eat.

Just a fact.

I said it could be something to consider, I never said it was fact. With science you can never know. A few years ago they were saying, "OMG DON'T COOK YOUR CARROTS! It makes them not good for you no more!" and just recently they contracted what they said, and instead said, "Psh! There's nothing wrong with cooked carrots, they're just as healthy for you."

With the advancement of science we may discover something different than the studies today. There is nothing wrong with speculating and I never said I wouldn't ever eat this meat again. It's just something to think about and I was going by your direct quote because I don't care. I've been through puberty already, I don't really have to worry that much about it.

I was just pointing out federal evidence to counter the "hormones cause it" argument. THe USDA and the FDA had both said, "Nope, not the cause! It's gotta be in the water!" We don't even eat the parts of live stock that the hormone tablets sit in, as that would be the ears.

I love university studys that are done, because the students that do them have their entire pass or fail dependant on that essay/thesis. THey HAVE to look into every shred of evidence found, especially in something so controvercial. In most cases, a professor will work to assist a student if they can. If nothing else, that site is an interesting, lengthy read on how you are not getting the hormones some people think they get in cows. :D

hongkongchick
09-03-2010, 12:19 PM
um... well my friend is a PhD in biochem... i might just have to ask her opinion.... since i am no expert on things like that. but it is really interesting.

does anyone think that maybe the reason that the FDA and USDA say it's not the hormones coz if they did, all farmers are not gonna be allowed to use hormones, therefore, they will not be making as much money? and the US wont be exporting as much, thus, not making as much money on their meats? ok ok, before y'all attack me, i am just throwing it out there, coz it could happen.... haha

Sethora
09-03-2010, 12:25 PM
um... well my friend is a PhD in biochem... i might just have to ask her opinion.... since i am no expert on things like that. but it is really interesting.

does anyone think that maybe the reason that the FDA and USDA say it's not the hormones coz if they did, all farmers are not gonna be allowed to use hormones, therefore, they will not be making as much money? and the US wont be exporting as much, thus, not making as much money on their meats? ok ok, before y'all attack me, i am just throwing it out there, coz it could happen.... haha

Only 30% of the cows in the states are treated with hormones, and even then, they're natural cow hormones in dairy cows. This hasn't been legalized in Canada, so yay me! But cow growth hormones are not recognized by the human body as such. It's facinating.

In cows used for meat, they use steroids in small doses that can't really effect humans either, and there is no real evidence that they have in the past. The Canadian government only allows steroid treatments in cows, not hormone.

Are growth hormones used elsewhere in the world?

The debate on whether growth hormones should or should not be used for food production has become a very political issue. In 1989, the European Community (now European Union) issued a ban on all meat from animals treated with steroid growth hormones, which is still in effect. The use of steroid hormones for beef cattle is permitted in Canada.

Countries within the European Union do not allow the use of the protein hormone rbGH, for dairy cattle. In 1999, the Canadian government refused approval for the sale of rbGH for dairy cattle, based on concerns about the health effects including mastitis in treated animals.

Solution: Come to canada, where our cows are healthier than 30% of yours? I don't know. 30% treated, vs. 70% untreated cows in the USA? I don't think there's much to worry about there. The US government also strictly regulates the hormone dispersion among cattle. None of them are pumped up, sooo... Yeah. o-O We're way off topic. Lol

hongkongchick
09-03-2010, 12:30 PM
um.... thank goodness i can have my friend butcher her cows for me that are grass/grain fed! yay me! or else, move to Canada! haha or go live in the rural china! lol

DevTehFiend
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I was just pointing out federal evidence to counter the "hormones cause it" argument. THe USDA and the FDA had both said, "Nope, not the cause! It's gotta be in the water!" We don't even eat the parts of live stock that the hormone tablets sit in, as that would be the ears.

I love university studys that are done, because the students that do them have their entire pass or fail dependant on that essay/thesis. THey HAVE to look into every shred of evidence found, especially in something so controvercial. In most cases, a professor will work to assist a student if they can. If nothing else, that site is an interesting, lengthy read on how you are not getting the hormones some people think they get in cows. :D
True, and students don't get paid to say one thing or another like big companies do their own scientists.

We have a huge Ag school here in Florida (not that I pay that much attention, again, I just eat what my parents buy and try not to look at studies that tell me I'll die because of it) and the only thing I remember from it was that one cow that they have there with the hole in it's stomach for study. D: Ewwwwwwww.

Sethora
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
um.... thank goodness i can have my friend butcher her cows for me that are grass/grain fed! yay me! or else, move to Canada! haha or go live in the rural china! lol

Haha, no kidding! I love living in canada. >_>;;; We get the good cows up here.

hongkongchick
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Haha, no kidding! I love living in canada. >_>;;; We get the good cows up here.

haha whoever said happy cows come from california!? haha apparently from Canada!

distantarray
09-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I said going back as far as 50 years. Full-on puberty does not happen til 10-11 years old in girls, but signs start showing up as early as 7 or 8. I'm not saying that it only started happening 50 years ago. I said, as you pointed out AT LEAST 50 years ago. Meaning it could, and probably does, go back farther, but I don't have an older source to check with. Good job taking what I mean and not understanding basic english once again.

One, robots are not humans, so no, I don't agree with it. They did not need to sustain life, they could have used solar power as a battery. Robots are not living creatures. They are technology. As humans, we can not use the sun as our sole way to survive, so we must eat what has been presented to us. Just as dogs and cats are bred to be companions, some cows and chickens are bred as food. To help humanity sustain life. As they have for ages.

I guess you never really watched the movie, or just payed attention to only the details you wanted to see. Since in the series Machines could not use solar power, cause in the war too many bombs were used making the atmosphere clouded and polluted to the point that machines could not use solar power as a viable source of energy. Think, in the entire movie did you see a bit of sunshine that's not in the matrix?

I'm not saying she's wrong in her views, which you seem to have misunderstood as well, but seriously? If you want to stop people eating cows and chickens, because it's "inhumane" to eat something thats sole purpose is to be my dinner, you may as well just go kill all of them on the planet; You can't have them all left alive to ruin the atmosphere for no reason with all the methane they produce. -> In one year, cows in North America produce more methane and CO_2 than the cars that are driven.

It's not inhumane to eat, but just cause they were bred for a certain purpose doesn't mean they should be drugged and caged all day either. It's not either if something lives or dies, but the quality of life, even if it's a short life.

Get a stronger tazer.

face palm

Lactaid milk is sweeter than normal milk. Taking the Lactose out of normal milk also makes it taste different. Just because milk is organic does NOT make it lactose-free. Lactose free milks taste VERY different from regular milk. That's like comparing Apples to Oranges.

If you actually paid attention in the milk thread , you'd already know I drink Organic LACTOSE FREE MILK, so comparing lactose free milk to lactose free milk is comparing apples to apples.

Good try though. As for the eggs, free-range eggs taste different (slightly) than normal eggs. Like I said before, just because it says 'free-range' doesn't mean it's organic. It simply means it's not cooped up all day. Organic free range and regular free range taste identical. Same with organic and non-organic produce (–noun prod·uce 12. something that is produced; yield; product. 13. agricultural products collectively, esp. vegetables and fruits.). They taste identical. Again, the only difference is +$5 in my pocet from buying non-organic tomatoes vs. organic ones.

Again why are you even making distinctions on Free range and organic and I didn't even mention free range, kinda like how you started babbling on about raw milk vs pasturation when I clearly never even mentioned it in a earlier topic.

You say good try, yet you admit they taste different in the next sentence, also I said ORGANIC not free range. There are few differences between them.

"Organic egg production is the production of eggs through organic means. In this process, the poultry are fed organic feed. The poultry must have access to the outdoors and are in a cage-free environment. Organic egg producers cannot use antibiotics except during an infectious outbreak. Only natural molting can occur within the flock; forced molting is not allowed. Organic certification also requires maintenance of basic animal welfare standards."

Probably all in your head.

It's more likely in yours since your just contradicting yourself, when you said that you that you can't taste the difference then make a comment like this.

"free-range eggs taste different (slightly) than normal eggs." - Sethora

I also like to add it's probably due to your acute sense of taste as well, cause it's more than a slight difference.

Vegan: a vegetarian who omits all animal products from the diet.

Vegetarians can eat animal byproducts, such as fish oils and immitation meats, cheese, yogurt, and milk. VEGANS cut out all byproducts. From what it sounds like, no one has mentioned this very clear difference; most vegetarians that I know will also eat fish, because, as pointed out, they don't really feal pain, and, from their stand point, they don't want to eat the animals that can. And that's their choice. You have a habit of reading things you don't like and turning them completely around. I never ONCE said that "No, kristihasukie, you can't be a vegetarian!"

I said she should probably decide if she's a vegetarian or a vegan. The difference was never pointed out between the two.

"Vegetarianism is the practice of following a plant-based diet including fruits, vegetables, cereal grains, nuts, and seeds, mushrooms, with or without dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat meat, including red meat, game, poultry, fish, crustacea, and shellfish" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

The adverage fish is not put through mazes every day in order to improve their memory. While the potential is there for memory, the fact is, they don't have it, as they don't need to do the same thing to get their food every day. The most though a salmon has is, "Swim up stream, lay eggs, die." That's about as complicated as a wild fish gets. Your mythbusters argument is irrelevant, as they were training the fish. And besides, it was meant as a satirical remark to begin with.

I just don't get how training a fish would make it irrelevant, cause you first claimed fish and other seafood don't have much of a memory, if they can be trained wild or tamed, it proves that their mental comprehension is greater than you initially assumed. It also doesn't matter if it's satirical, a bad joke is a bad joke, even worse when it's not true.

Seriously? You look into things FAR too much. I'm now leaving this thread before you get too out of control, like in the milk thread. I'm tired of you, and I'm tired of the way you seem to think that everyone is against you, or everyone that believes different than you, distantarray, is wrong.

I don't think anyone's against me, and I believe people are different, and I embrace differences in people.

"I apologize on behalf of my gender.

I think mostly they're just thinking with their hearts instead of their heads. I love a good debate too, but that's turning more into an attack because they don't seem interested in debating at all. Just yelling and defending themselves against something that doesn't need to be defended against (if they feel like they were being put into your generalization of girls that sleep around thanks to birth control, then they have some issues personally and need to work it out on their own.)"

Cut and paste of recent private message

HomeDepot
09-16-2010, 10:53 PM
One of my favorite vegetarian chinese dishes is "Mapo Tofu" a spicy tofu dish where the tofu isn't fried, but is still super tasty. Sometimes it gets made with pork in it so make sure to ask first!
"Lentil Loaf" a dish that you can find in some restaurants with a veggie focus is rich and delicious.
Veggetarian Chili is becoming more and more common, full of protein and sooo tasty.
If you like hummus that is something that you could buy at the grocery store with some good bread/ pita, and veggies and eat in your hotel room.

If you're ever near Ithaca New York there is a restaurant called "Moosewood" that famous across the country for it's vegetarian food. They also produce several cookbooks (though it sounds like that doesn't interest you).

If you are traveling near Madison Wisconsin "The Weary Traveler" and "The Green Owl" both have lots of good vegetarian options.

distantarray
09-17-2010, 02:44 AM
One of my favorite vegetarian chinese dishes is "Mapo Tofu" a spicy tofu dish where the tofu isn't fried, but is still super tasty. Sometimes it gets made with pork in it so make sure to ask first!
"Lentil Loaf" a dish that you can find in some restaurants with a veggie focus is rich and delicious.
Veggetarian Chili is becoming more and more common, full of protein and sooo tasty.
If you like hummus that is something that you could buy at the grocery store with some good bread/ pita, and veggies and eat in your hotel room.

If you're ever near Ithaca New York there is a restaurant called "Moosewood" that famous across the country for it's vegetarian food. They also produce several cookbooks (though it sounds like that doesn't interest you).

If you are traveling near Madison Wisconsin "The Weary Traveler" and "The Green Owl" both have lots of good vegetarian options.

Mapo Tofu is what I actually had for dinner :D

It's a good balance of carbs proteins fats especially from 2 main sources of protein =) :bigtu:

Sister Kyoya
09-18-2010, 08:24 PM
First thing about becoming a vegetarian (lacto, ovo, or otherwise) or vegan is that it is a one day at a time process. Every single day that you can make choices that you feel proud of makes a difference. Don't expect to have it be perfect from the start, it never is even if you completely stop eating meat then you still have to make sure that what you are eating is balanced.

I became a lacto-ovo vegetarian 5 years ago because I found that I really didn't like meat (eating hamburger felt like I had rocks in my stomach) and simply stopped eating it, and was only eating turkey. Then Thanksgiving happened. For the first time my husband and I could have it at our house (my mother was in India) and I finally got to do the turkey, something I had helped my mother with for a lot of years growing up. There is one moment that will probably be forever burned in my brain. My husband's favorite animal (as a pet) is turkeys, and I stood there staring at the decapitated dead bird, my mind really couldn't see what the distinction was between it and our pet cats. Animal are animals, and meat is meat no matter what nice things people say to make it acceptable. Somehow I managed to get through the holiday, but by January I had stopped eating meat completely.

I find this statement interesting because I used to think the same thing. In my mind, the dairy and honey was what made a world of difference, setting me far apart from those overbearing vegans. After being vegetarian for three years, I slowly realized that I was mildly allergic to milk and was lactose intolerant (yes, those are two different things) to the point that at most I could eat a single piece of cheese in a day, anymore and it would noticeably bother me. I was eating so little dairy as it was, cutting it out wasn't too hard. I've had a love/hate relationship with eggs for a long time, sometimes the thought of them would gross me out so badly that I couldn't eat them. Ground flax seed and tofu are my favorite egg replacements, all the goodness without the gross! :D So I was just following the natural progression my life was taking... and then the monkey wrench was thrown in. I had very suddenly become highly allergic to honey. Ironically it gives me hives... :eeek: I think my karma set in and decided that enough was enough.

Here's also a quote to keep in mind: The only perfect vegan is a dead vegan.

As vegans/vegetarians we can do our best to try to reduce the negative impact that we have on the world by abstaining from meat and/or animal byproducts, but I think I heard somewhere that even car tires have some sort of animal byproduct in them. There is always going to be people out there trying to look like the perfect vegetarian/vegan but no one is perfect. I point this out because of the second monkey wrench that karma has chucked into the gears of my life, exposure to sunlight gives me hives as well. Of all things, I'm allergic to sunlight! :confused: The problem with that is vitamin D comes ONLY from animal sources, like people's skin... when exposed to sunlight. So even though I have to eat fortified cereals that have trace animal sources, I still call myself a vegan, I'm just not a fanatic. :thumbsup:

Now, for some info I think you might find helpful, especially in your situation:
Vegan Grocery Shopping Guide (http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/vegetarian-shopping.aspx) I hate PETA, but this is a very helpful list that I refer to a lot.

Head to the produce department of a grocery store and grab something to munch on, fruits and veggies are always on the list! I love doing wraps with tortillas (lard free), sliced portobello or crimini mushrooms (white mushrooms have no flavor), alfalfa sprouts, sliced tomatoes, fresh spinach, cream cheese (I use tofutti brand) or hummus, and vegan BBQ sauce. All you need is a napkin/paper plate and a knife to cut tomatoes or spread the cream cheese/hummus. I've done this a lot on picnics with my husband. Or sometimes I just buy a bunch of grapes and chomp those!

Learn to read labels when in the grocery store. In the last year or so the US ingredients listings have gotten a bit easier to know what are in them because they need to state the top 5 or 7 major allergens, including milk, soy, wheat, and eggs making it a lot faster knowing if you are eating more dairy than you might think They like to sneak it into some weird foods and meat stuff as well.

Focus on what your favorite non-meat foods are and expand from there instead of pointing out all the foods you are 'missing'. My diet is much more interesting now that I'm vegan than it ever was when I ate meat. I see what non vegan/vegetarians eat and it seems so boring!

If there are cities that you frequent more often, look up to see what ones have natural food/heath foods stores. The one where we live has a lot of things that we don't have to worry about what the mystery ingredients are, even in standard grocery stores there are products labeled vegan or vegetarian.

If you have an occasional junk food craving, Ghirardelli chocolate chips and Oreos are both vegan as well. :rofl:

Most of all, it really is about doing the best that you are able and what gives you the most peace of mind. Oh, and don't be surprised if you have nightmares about being force fed meat things you don't eat anymore. :crylaugh: I had that occasionally for a year and a half after becoming vegetarian.

*Hugs*
Sister Kyoya

sociologies
09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Pardon me if this has been asked before, but what's your price range? What kind of lifestyle do you live? From what I've gleaned from the previous posts in the thread, you seem to have a pretty busy lifestyle. I do, too, but believe me, after the first month or so, it becomes incredibly easy to be a vegetarian, and it's not ridiculously expensive, especially compared to the expenses of a meat-based diet. I've been a vegetarian for over four years now, and it's made me a slimmer, leaner, healthier person.

The taste of meat substitutes is a little off-putting at first, but again, after the first month or so, you'll get so used to the taste of vegetables, fruit, and meat substitutes that you'll forget what actual meat tastes like. I know I have.

For frozen food + meat substitutes, I usually look to Quorn products, which are based on mycoproteins (mushroom proteins). They are a great substitute to chicken products, but they also have turkey substitutes, too, and I think they have "beef" crumbles now? I'd have to check, but I wholly recommend them.

Morningstar is another frozen food company that I rec for meat substitutes; their product line is more diverse, but I like their soy-burger patties, soy "bacon", and soy "ribs" the most. Their meat crumbles aren't too bad either, just throw 'em in whatever you're making (nachos, rice, whatever leftovers) and you've got a good, low-calorie source of protein that tastes a lot like beef.

Boca makes delicious meat crumbles, too, and for general vegetarian frozen food MEALS, Amy's is where I go. Amy's is on the pricier side, but they've got a really wide range of cuisines represented in their meals, from Indian to Thai to American Southern.

For regular, readily-available frozen food that can be found in pretty much any grocery store, there's no particular brand. Just scope out all the meatless entrees and sides you can and pop them in the microwave. I'd look more towards the "lean/low calorie" items first, because they tend to have more vegetable-based items. If you can't find any vegetable-based frozen foods, there's always dairy-based items, if you're willing to go for that.

For food that has to be prepared, I'll add on the legumes movement. BEANS BEANS BEANS. nomnomnom. These little guys are packed with protein vital to a vegetarian diet, and are totally yummy. Yes, they can carry an entire meal, and cuisines, like Indian food, have been basing entrees on beans for ages. My favorites are lentils, black beans, soy beans/edamame, and red beans, but they're all good. Your leafy greens will help with iron (and fiber, too), as dark greens will. In my eyes, you really can't go wrong with vegetables as long as you're diversifying the range you consume. The more colors, the better, haha. Same goes for fruits; I tend to recommend darker fruits (example: eat dark red grapes instead of the green ones, because there's more nutrients in the darker colored fruits), but again, it's all good in the end what you choose to eat, just based on the nature of the food.

Restaurant food - Any vegetarian/vegan restaurants in your area or where you travel? If not, http://www.happycow.net/ and http://www.vegdining.com/Home.cfm can help you find places to eat out veg across the US and the world. Otherwise, like another user said, keep your eyes open for meatless meals, and don't feel afraid to ask the server if you can substitute components of existing entrees on the menu for vegetarian-friendly items. And you can always just order a salad. There's no harm in that.

Also, have you heard of this stuff before? http://www.drinklifein.com/ It's a drink based on the Moringa plant, which is insanely healthy and packed with vitamins and nutrients. I just tried and bought a "trial pack" (so to speak) at a discounted price, and I'm excited to start the daily process of drinking the stuff when the new month comes.

Well, those are my 2 cents. Keep in mind I'm not a nutritionist or a health expert (far from, actually), but just someone who happens to practice the diet and loves encouraging others to do the same. Be strong, and hang in there! The first weeks are the hardest to adjust to! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

kanarumichan
09-21-2010, 05:56 PM
i'm vegetarian :) been veggie 4 4 years

SanaMae
10-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Okay, I've been veggie for 3/4 years now, I don't see what would be so hard about becomming one. For me it was just a case of not eating meat or fish and carrying on as normal. You really don't need to be so extra-careful about nutrients. Maybe if you were vegan, but....

Kasinator
10-09-2010, 03:11 PM
for my next L photos, I am doing a couple food pics. Im not quite sure what i should have him do with veggies yet. :P

NeQuittezPas
10-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I didn't read all of the pages, so I don't know if this has been said yet, but World Market carries some very good vegan rice noodles that are pretty cheap and very delicious. They're easy to make when traveling, as you only need hot water, and if you chop up some of your favorite vegetables and have them with the noodles, it's absolutely delicious. Simply Asia has some good microwavable noodles, too, and I'm pretty sure most if not all of them are vegetarian. (Simply Asia being a brand, not a store.)

zssfanxxx
10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm planning on becoming a vegetarian soon.
I think I'll loose alot more weight around my hips and belly!
Even though I'm not even 120 pounds..I'm dying to have a flat belly! ><

NeQuittezPas
10-15-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm planning on becoming a vegetarian soon.
I think I'll loose alot more weight around my hips and belly!
Even though I'm not even 120 pounds..I'm dying to have a flat belly! ><

If you're just looking for a flat belly, do thirty or so sit-ups every other day. It's great for your figure and great for your back health. :3 You see results in a few weeks.
Not to discourage you from going veg, though-- also a fantastic idea.