PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ferrin

mangakaluna
09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Edit: 9/3/2010 Added timestamp info under each photo link as well as correspondence from receiving the item

I recently commissioned an Edward Elric jacket from a user named Ferrin.
Their advertisement seemed to check out here (http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/showproduct.php/product/31061/cat/16). It promised "superb quality and accuracy" from 10+ years of experience and that they would work closely with the commissioner to ensure accuracy.

They said they would send photos before shipment so I could see the quality, etc.

They never sent them.

I suppose this is why.

I paid $80 for this jacket.

There is lining missing inside the sleeve. (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02859.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:28:28

The lining is very loose and saggy. (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02869.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:33:49

The bottom is uneven in the back (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02867.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:33:19

The sleeves were the wrong style (there was a seam on top and bottom), and messily sewn under the arm. (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02864.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:32:36

The fabric was stained (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02862.jpg) (However they are small and on the inside lining)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:31:45

The emblem was tacked on, but starting to lift and curl (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02878.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:36:30

Every now and again I found random half-seams like this (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02875.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:35:44

Here's some more saggy lining (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02861.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:31:39

The hood's lining appears to be inside-out, and the hood is much too small (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/DSC02879.jpg)
Date/Time: 2010:08:31 16:37:04

I contacted the seller in a professional manner, detailing these issues, and I requested a refund.

They refused and claimed that I sabotaged the item.

Added Edit 9/3/2010: Correspondence
PM I received letting me know it had been sent, more or less (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/mailed.jpg)

My initial response after receiving the item (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/recieved.jpg) When it arrived I only had enough time to try it on quickly. I took it off and hung it in the garage to get rid of the smell. I am a non-smoker, and this was strong enough that I couldn't keep it in the house.

Their response saying why they did not contact me about the hood, and regarding the smell (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/recievedreply.jpg)

I sent this after the smell dissipated. I reviewed the coat and took the photos. I uploaded the photos to photobucket a little while later. (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/complaint.jpg)

Their response to my complaints (part 1) (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/reply1.jpg)
Their response to my complaints (part 2) (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/reply2.jpg)

Buyer, Beware!

angelbabycakes
09-01-2010, 04:42 PM
How disappointing. I was going to commission from them, but wanted to wait until they had more photos of commissions up.

Thanks for the review.

mangakaluna
09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
How disappointing. I was going to commission from them, but wanted to wait until they had more photos of commissions up.

Thanks for the review.

No problem, I'm glad you found this before ordering.

ferrin
09-02-2010, 03:01 AM
i would like to say as the commissioner that i am fairly certain the buyer accidentally stained the item and then sabatoged it in attempts to get their money back.

we promise progress photos to those who request them, but they were not request for this item.

the buyer filed a paypal claim and was denied by paypal on the grounds that we provided proof the item was NOT in such a condition upon shipping.

we have never received a negative review from any buyer and can provide plenty of positive feedback, on ebay as well as other places.

Nohirexi
09-02-2010, 03:15 AM
I've seen Ferrin's works firsthand, and he would never make something of such quality. He puts time, hard work, dedication and 500% effort into his commissions. I know for a fact that he wouldn't let something like that be shipped out to a buying customer.

CaptainMoochan
09-02-2010, 03:19 AM
I have ALSO seen his work firsthand. He sends me progression photos of his work firsthand. He also wears his own work and is damn near a perfectionist and would in no instance EVER allow his products to look that way.

You're just angry because you spilled crap on your new outfit, made OBVIOUS tears in it, and decided to try and fuck him over by trying to file a claim on paypal. If they were real, then your claim would not have been rejected.

I joined this stupid website for the sole purpose of justifying his work. He is, in no way, a liar. His work is 100% top notch.

So stop lying.

angelbabycakes
09-02-2010, 03:51 AM
i would like to say as the commissioner that i am fairly certain the buyer accidentally stained the item and then sabatoged it in attempts to get their money back.

we promise progress photos to those who request them, but they were not request for this item.

the buyer filed a paypal claim and was denied by paypal on the grounds that we provided proof the item was NOT in such a condition upon shipping.

we have never received a negative review from any buyer and can provide plenty of positive feedback, on ebay as well as other places.

Hello! ^_^

So glad to hear that this is not true! I would suggest posting a screen shot that PayPal denied the claim, that way, future customers can see proof that this item was in perfect condition when shipped. It is just a suggestion, as it will show that this item was of quality and will help others see that this is defaming your name.

kiratsukai
09-02-2010, 05:19 AM
I can't for the life of me understand how some of the problems presented in the photographs (sloppy lining, the odd hem, the tacked on emblem, etc) could have been engineered by someone who wasn't skilled enough to make their own jacket in the first place or why someone would commission an item only to destroy it in order to wreak havoc on the reputation of a total stranger without the guarantee of money back or any personal gain whatsoever.

There are two sides to every story, but I'm reluctant to trust either at face value.

As we say on the intarwebs: pictures or it didn't happen.

(As for paypal being an authority on commission quality: paypal generally only returns money in the event of non-delivery. The quality of the items delivered rarely concerns them. If the contracted item was sent and the person who shipped it can prove that it was posted, you're shit out of luck.)

mangakaluna
09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I would also like to see pictures of the items condition before it was shipped. I was never sent photos before the delivery.

I was not told I could "request" them, it was flat-out stated.
Evidenced here (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/quote.jpg)
Since I am obviously not trusted, I left the url which contains the pm ID, so you may contact an admin on the site and double check that this was not tampered with.

mangakaluna
09-02-2010, 02:10 PM

The claim was not denied due to the items condition. It was denied because it was indeed shipped, and they can only deal with shipment problems.

Direct quote from the email I recieved:
"Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund. "

I am posting this as a cautionary tale. I paid $80 for quality goods, and I received less than that. I expect a licensed business to be more professional. If requested, I can provide anyone with facts and evidence of what occurred in my situation.
Anyone out there ordering cosplay outfits should check the return policy, if there is a satisfaction guarantee, a list of the supplies and the cost from the commissioner, send accurate measurements, insistence on approval for any changes or deviations, and photographic updates of the item.

Acacia
09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I can say for a fact, knowing mangakaluna for several years now, that she would never do such a thing. I know she was really looking forward to receiving the jacket for her cosplay, it is beyond me why she would purposely trash it just to get a refund. Putting aside the fact that I know her, I can't think of anyone who would do that unless they had a personal vendetta against the person whom they were commissioning.

So you took the liberty of doing a shoddy job because she didn't request progress shots? That's what it sounds like to me. You should always provide progress photos, or at least, take some for yourself. That way you'd be able to save your ass by saying, "see, the receipient DID sabotoge it!"

I'd also like to see photos of what it looked like before you shipped it. Or were you too embarrassed to take any because it looked so ratty?

angelbabycakes
09-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Wow, this is all very confusing. I can't imagine why anyone would send out a product like that...nor can I imagine anyone sabotaging an item they paid for. This is indeed a very tricky situation. :/

Sethora
09-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Wow, this is all very confusing. I can't imagine why anyone would send out a product like that...nor can I imagine anyone sabotaging an item they paid for. This is indeed a very tricky situation. :/

I think the one lying is the one that was comissioned - the OP posted pictures upon pictures of the tarnished goods, quoted WHY paypal wouldn't provide the refund, and what has the comissioner done? One post in lousy self defense.

To the OP - Thanks for the warning - I will not be ordering from Ferrin any time in the future.

To Acacia - he took some, if he sent them to paypal....

Acacia
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
To Acacia - he took some, if he sent them to paypal....
He never showed anything to Paypal because they don't deal with the quality of goods, only if an item has shipped or not. See mangakaluna's previous post:
The claim was not denied due to the items condition. It was denied because it was indeed shipped, and they can only deal with shipment problems.

Direct quote from the email I recieved:
"Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund. "

Axelai
09-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Only way to settle this is if the commissioned has progress pictures. Since the two responses in his defense were both from users of the site with a very low postcount (one having only posted once: to defend them).

So the only way we can see who is right is for some progress pictures. Until then, i vote in favor of the commissioner.

mangakaluna
09-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I find it curious that there have not been any photos posted as of yet.

My photos are uploaded to Photobucket documenting the issues. Photobucket saves the information of when photos are uploaded. 2010:08:31 16:37:04 is the exact time-stamp for my photos.

If I can be libeled as a "saboteur", I could call fraud as any professional I know could create such a jacket in 5 hours and provide photos after.

tic tic tic.

kiratsukai
09-03-2010, 03:41 AM
Dear jilted customers and wronged-commissioners alike:

No matter how you royally believe you've been screwed, no matter what you've been through... nothing will get any better by being snide about the transaction, inflammatory about your reviews/responses or hauling friends to the site to defend you.

It just makes both sides look incredibly silly and turns off people who might work with either party in the future...

Reviews and responses are not about dragging people over the coals and disputes are not won by how many strangers on a forum you can turn to your cause.

A good review shouldn't read like a personal attack and responses to angry customers should never be profanity-laden rants written by parties they didn't deal with. Reguardless of what went on ~ I would be personally reluctant to deal with anyone who I know might even possibly accuse me of fraud, call friends to cuss me out or spend hours harranging me over the same thing without giving me a chance to defend myself.

The commissioner responds with photos or he doesn't.
At this point -- let the photos (or lack of them) speak for themselves.

rchcc122
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I would also like to see pictures of the items condition before it was shipped. I was never sent photos before the delivery.

I was not told I could "request" them, it was flat-out stated.
Evidenced here (http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/LunaNoUsagi/Cosplay/quote.jpg)
Since I am obviously not trusted, I left the url which contains the pm ID, so you may contact an admin on the site and double check that this was not tampered with.

I'm just confused on your 'evidence that you couldn't request photos.'
I don't see refusal to show you photos here 0.o I may be blind, but I see the line "we'll show you photos beforehand so you can see that everything is up to par." That doesn't seem like a flat-out statement that you couldn't request them. It just seemed more like a timeline they were going to follow, and you could deter from if you so chose.

Axelai
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm just confused on your 'evidence that you couldn't request photos.'
I don't see refusal to show you photos here 0.o I may be blind, but I see the line "we'll show you photos beforehand so you can see that everything is up to par." That doesn't seem like a flat-out statement that you couldn't request them. It just seemed more like a timeline they were going to follow, and you could deter from if you so chose.

They told her they'd send out photos beforehand, and they didn't. That's what she was trying to say.

Ends Beginning
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I just commissioned Ferrin and so far everything is great they send me pictures when ever I ask and they are very good at getting back to me via PM. I have no problem with in fact I'd commission from them again. They have also given me tips on projects I am working on myself.
I give them a thumbs up.

Mimiru1618
09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
From what I've read, I agree with kirutsukai that you won't get anything done by being snide, being overly angry about it. The best way to get things done or by acting professional.

As for who's side is right, I'm remaining neutral due to both sides lacking some evidence.

There are always things like 'hit and miss', some commissioners will have some good products, others not so much. It depends on a few thing: difficulty of the item, what the commissioner is skilled in, materials, and online factors.

I'll explain these in detail:

Some requests are much more difficult than others, like a ballroom gown is obviously going to be more difficult than a simple shirt. To do some jobs, you have to gain experience in that field, and that requires a LOT of practice.

As for skills, perhaps one was not experienced in 'hoods' or the style of product you're asking for. There's a good and very noticeable difference between a wind jacket, a trench coat, a 1890's tutor coat, and all of the others. sometimes it' hard to just go off picture reference, and I'm actually told that's a gift. Not everyone can create a perfect piece by picture alone, even more so when it's difficult to tell what type of jacket it is. Personal tip: What I do is always send photos of OTHER cosplay jackets that I'm referencing. Give them several angel shots.

Materials:

The material I see based on the photos seems like a wind jacket material...and if that's WHAT it is (I can't tell due to it being a picture), then I know from experience that that material is difficult to sew correctly, and the sewing doesn't always like it, due to the fact the needle holes will pull and such. So depending on materials, the sewing may not hold well. to go with hat, it's hard to make material curl like that...it just happens naturally.

Remember that you ordered off the internet, so unless you're actually THERE to watch, there's no telling what happens. It's sadly just what happens, and there are always bound to be errors.

I'm not saying the commissioner didn't do what was needed, or that the OP intentionally sabotaged it, but there are factors that you need to consider. If it went through customs, and they are a bit weary of what's in the package, I think they are liable to check it out (I could be wrong).

That's just my two cents~I hope everything works out for both parties~

mangakaluna
09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
@Mimiru: Thank you for the tip about sending photos of other cosplay jackets. I didn't think of doing that before. I was not sure what the commissioner's experience was. According to their ad, it was 10+ years. If they weren't confident with this commission, I wish they would have told me :(

Materials-wise, jacket is a cotton-like material and the lining feels like a light satin. A couple years back I took a beginning sewing class and worked with similar materials,and I did experience some difficulty. With this piece, it almost seems like the thread tension was too tight during sewing.

Yeah, I suppose incidents like this are what makes ordering off the internet a tricky subject.

You mentioned that both sides are lacking in evidence, could you tell me what I should add?

Mimiru1618
09-03-2010, 03:06 PM
One things you could add are you communications between the two of you~. When you got the package did it look like it had been opened? If they shipped through customs, it could have been looked at there and that MAY have been where the stain came from.

I still think you should have been sent photos of the piece before it was finished.

Always keep records of your emails, conversations, show what specifics you asks for and such. Small detail like that can always help and will back up your case~

Example: If you asked for it a certain way instead of 'edward elric's jacket' that will also help~, thus why I say post up any conversations, anything you sent to him/her, asked for, anything they sent you. Did they keep in touch with you? Did they send you reference pictures at all when you first asked them for the jacket? Absolutely anything else would help. If you can post your time-stamps under your pictures of when you took the pictures, and state when you got the item (shipment evidence too if you got a tracking number, such as date of when you got it, that at least if you're not comfortable showing your address.) That shows that there was no where near enough time to sabotage it. (Trust me I took stitching out of a pair of gloves yesterday, that little bit of stitching took me an hour).

I myself did my zack fair costume last year, and I am a perfectionist, thus why I did the costume myself~. I used a pattern for the pants and altered it, but everything else I did by hand and off picture base, using several different angles. I knew what fabrics I wanted to use so that gave me the upper hand. If you let a commissioner go by whatever, they'll probably use whats in the budget, which tends to be the cheapest materials they can find unless you specify. Ed's jacket is a thick material by what it looks like, and I know for a fact it doesn't run cheap. But back to experience, I'm wearing a frilled ballroom dress this year, and I knew I couldn't make it, so I commissioned someone who could only after I did a very thorough background check on them~.

I hope that helps and if you need anymore help let me know! ^^

mangakaluna
09-03-2010, 03:31 PM
@Mimiru Ah, I see. I'll get that info together and edit it to the first post, if possible.

I kept all the correspondence with the commissioner and I still have the original packaging. It didn't appear to have been tampered with, just taped very well at the opening (it was a Priority Envelope) They shouldn't have gone through customs, since it was from WA shipped to OR. I didn't get a tracking number, because I didn't explicitly request one.

Thank you once again.

mangakaluna
09-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I have added the correspondence that took place after the item was shipped to the first post and I posted the timestamps for the images. I left the pm IDs in so that they can be verified.

I'll be away for a wedding and the Convention for which I commissioned this jacket for the next few days.

Axelai
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
After reading the PMs, i must say that even if mangakaluna IS lying, the fact that ferrin immediately jumped to "You sabotaged the item" is extremely unprofessional... and pointing the finger at her.

All the things ferrin said are poor communication on her part, too. When stuck between two options on the hood, they should have PM'd mangakaluna to ask which they wanted. That could have avoided one of the potential problems.

I also have no idea how someone can "sabotage" the saggy lining unless they un-stitched it and re-sewed the lining. Which means they probably spent a lot of money on that... which is really way more than anyone would do to get back at who they commissioned O.o Mangakaluna would have to be insane to go through ALL that. Now, looking at the times on the PMs... she did have 27 hours to tamper with it. But really, why would she go through THAT MUCH to ruin someone? There is zero reason for that to happen.

And the fact that ferrin isn't here defending themselves... is more proof that mangakaluna is the right one.

I say this all from a status of me only knowing the information stated here, and providing my own opinion. I know neither of them personally.

x-Steffi-x
09-19-2010, 04:30 PM
I've read through here and am also on mangakaluna's side and the Axelai explained it perfectly. I mean why would anyone go through the trouble of posting various pictures with time and the date with in-detail explanation just to get a refund? Anyone could tell what a person would be like if they were to scam the commissioner of a refund and that sort of person would be reluctant to state evidence - but mangakaluna did everything she could...

Magical Machete
09-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Well, I know that I'll never buy ANYTHING from Ferrin or any of the people who are on their side. If they think that is QUALITY work, I'd rather stay away. I'm pretty sure CaptainMoochan is a mule if the account was made just to back up Ferrin. Suspicious much?

Better to be safe than sorry. There are plenty of other commissioners out there who don't have ANY negative feedback and don't do suspicious things like having newly created accounts for that sole purpose back them up. If I sold something shoddy, it would be too easy to make a bunch of mules saying the account was created to prove how reliable I am.

x-Steffi-x
09-20-2010, 08:32 AM
^ Exactly, if the commissioner fails to comply with resolving the situation properly in a mature manner then that to me is suspicious. Especially if one runs away from the situation. But I make my own cosplays so I don't need to worry about buying off anywhere suspicious. If I ever do *need* to get a commissioner and if that certain commissioner doesn't meet up to my standards no matter how good they seem to be then I won't take them up for a job.

Remember, research is the key!

Magical Machete
09-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm taking a chance right now with a brand new commissioner. They have no feedback, and have limited pictures, so i choose something easy and they gave me a low price for it. Communication so far has been great, but I guess when it comes down to the work actually getting done or the quality of it, we'll have to wait and see. I think this is the best way to see if a commissioner is any good. So even if it is FUBAR, at least you didnt lose too much. xD

MissDarkRose
10-17-2010, 01:09 AM
That quality is crap ._. I don't who to believe buy I think I'm against the commisoner. Someone shouldn't commision if they can't sew for crap.

kiratsukai
11-15-2010, 06:50 AM
I don't know if this is the same user ~ but the similarity in handle names and the same cosplayed character made me quirk an eyebrow...

http://www.cosplay.com/member/162572/

King Tamaki
11-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I had a Hiei costume commissioned from this seller around August of this year. I was told I'd get it before my convention in October, which didn't happened. I at least had some communication and the shipping price was taken off. I ended up paying $100. Ferrin said my costume had been sent out on October 5th and I've yet to receive anything and not a single one of my PMs have been answered since then.

I CALL SCAM.

playmysitardemy
01-25-2011, 08:48 PM
I don't know if this is the same user ~ but the similarity in handle names and the same cosplayed character made me quirk an eyebrow...

http://www.cosplay.com/member/162572/

Holy photoshop batman!