PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Vocaloids?

1cupMEIKO
09-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I had this idea a few weeks ago about trying out a Steampunk themed Vocaloid. I was intending to do MEIKO (http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f213/sasuke83091/Meiko_16.jpg), and my ideas seemed to come in a few short bursts at a time.

For one, my knowledge of Steampunk may not be as up to par as i believe it is, so if i make any mistakes or if you have any suggestions please please PLEASE let me know, this is why im posting it up here, because i have a feeling that an entire subforum worth of information and people cannot be wrong.

Vocaloids are (in simple terms) Singing Androids, so my first initial idea was to model the base of the cosplay after a musical wind up doll of sorts. I was going to make a key to place on my back, and perhaps two small half-moon gears on the shoulders to give it a more rustic look.

I piled together a few pictures to explain how the costume would look (http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/kyuunaru/Pictures%20of%20rl/prepareyourself.jpg). I know it may look poorly done, but i do better if i just show instead of tell. I also have the picture of the doll joints i just recently learned how to do on there.

Hopefully you guys will accept my idea, and i hope even more that i really am blending the two together correctly. I thought it was a cool idea.

1cupMEIKO
09-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I was really hoping that i could get some help. The idea seemed fun and different, but on the other hand i dont want to play the 'slap some gears on that sucker and call it steampunk' game like alot of them do.

OldestAngel
09-05-2010, 01:11 AM
xD It's a cool idea.

I like the idea of the doll-joints, and the bustle. ^^;

Are you able to sketch out a more complete idea of your design? What would make it uniquely Meiko and steampunk? Either way, it sounds like you've got the beginnings of a plan!

1cupMEIKO
09-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Well i tried to blend Meiko's original costume design with the half shirt and the short skirt and boots, with the pull up skirt-thing (like the picture) as well as a sort of half or cut off corset, and the red drapings over it.

OldestAngel
09-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Sounds good to me. :3 Any cool ideas for the headphones?

I think you've got the basics for the idea down, and the idea of making yourself a wind-up doll (jointed jaws would be cool too) is awesome.

You didn't clarify whether you were doing Sakine Meiko or older Meiko, and between those two, there is a difference in teh additions you can add to your costume. Older Meiko strikes me as the more refined one, someone with a lot of class (you know, minus the booze and what-not). You could probably add a 'higher-class' sort of feel to her costume. While keeping her trademark skirt and shirt.

Sakine Meiko on the other hand, strikes me as more impetuous and well, younger. She doesn't seem like she would enjoy being dolled up in some of the younger women's clothing of the victorian era, even though her skirt has something of a petticoat underneath.

Eh, in the end, it all depends on what strikes you as best for portraying the character, and what balances it out with the steampunk.

So, good luck! And if you ever have any questions, feel free to pm me even though I haven't really helped you at all. :3

1cupMEIKO
09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Well yea, i was aiming for MEIKO, the older version, thats why im attempting the very frilly and rather 'grown up' looking costume. Also i may not do the jaw joints... i have some weird thing about them... due to the fact that im terrified of manikins.

But Thank you still for the help!

Avisu
09-06-2010, 06:49 PM
If you was curious i found this of a steampunk vocaloid design http://zhiryono.deviantart.com/art/Vocaloid-Steampunk-Miku-Luka-160123459?qj=2&q=boost%3Apopular+steampunk&qo=485

1cupMEIKO
09-07-2010, 12:29 AM
thats awesome, thats relatively close to the actual skirt design i want. thank you so much =3

1cupMEIKO
09-09-2010, 01:49 AM
any ideas?

1cupMEIKO
09-16-2010, 11:44 PM
none?