PDA

View Full Version : Meal Shakes?

Bealzabub
09-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I know that most meal shakes (like slim fast and the like) are very high in sugar and usually don't have enough calories to count as a "Meal". However, in my house there are little bottles of Glucerna. (My Mom is a diabetic.) I was thinking, these don't have high sugar, due to the fact they're made for diabetics. I know they don't have enough calories to replace a full meal... but would these be considered more healthy?

distantarray
09-05-2010, 01:36 AM
I know that most meal shakes (like slim fast and the like) are very high in sugar and usually don't have enough calories to count as a "Meal". However, in my house there are little bottles of Glucerna. (My Mom is a diabetic.) I was thinking, these don't have high sugar, due to the fact they're made for diabetics. I know they don't have enough calories to replace a full meal... but would these be considered more healthy?

Well I just looked into it, and Glucema has a lot of carbs, but it uses very slow digesting carbs to avoid sudden spikes in blood sugar. Still if your not diebetic I'd recommend protein shakes instead if you can. It costs about 60cents a serving when you buy 5 pounds which is 70+ servings.

Higher the carbs usually the hungerier and thirister you get, and proteins are slow digesting and gives you a good amount of energy overtime.

Glucema has 10 grams of protein, and a good meal replacement shake should have low carbs and high protein. like 4g of carbs and 24 grams of protein like on the optimum nutrition 100% gold standard.