PDA

View Full Version : vegeterian and i canīt lose weight >.<

insideimmortal
09-05-2010, 07:26 AM
i have tried too loose weight for quite some time now. iīm vegeterian but i also donīt eat fish. and i do eat healthy food. i excercise like always. going outside and run and walk. but i havenīt lost a single pound since i accually started wich was more than haf a year ago...

my friends and parents says that it shows tha ti have lost weight. even my hairdresser commented on that. but everytime i get a photo of myself cosplaying or such. ough. i jsut look so damn fat >.< ( no offence too people ) i just donīt understand. yea. i donīt have an issue wit my weight i donīt feel bad or such. but i really donīt wanna look like a cow on ym cosplay photos ... i donīt eat as much as i did beforeor so. but, ough. it makes me mad. half of everyone i know is f*cking ribbs tin and itīs not funny wlaking around with them as the fat cow :bigcry:

please help anyone? i donīt get this things anymore. :waaaah:

omfg is someone able too help me?!? please !?!?

Kasinator
09-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Let us get a bit more detail here. What exactly is your vegetarian diet? can you give an example of an average day's diet? how long and frequent are your exercises? the only information I see so far is you are vegetarian and you exercise, however we do need more specifics in order to find out the problem.:bigtu:

insideimmortal
09-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Let us get a bit more detail here. What exactly is your vegetarian diet? can you give an example of an average day's diet? how long and frequent are your exercises? the only information I see so far is you are vegetarian and you exercise, however we do need more specifics in order to find out the problem.:bigtu:

yea. well. this is what i do: i eat just like anormal person. donīt eat g portions. and i eat vegeterian qorn food and soya. my excisises is going out in te woods walking a track 4 too five 5 times a day which takes about 1 hr. less if i run abit. and i also go other tracks tat are alittle bit smaller 2 times. depends on days such as school days i might donīt go as far. then other exicises is walking 3 kilometers home after school everyday. in school i donīt either eat big portions >.>

Darcie Artemis
09-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm a veggie too.
I've found that in many 'healthy' meals there lurks a surprising ammount of fat. They are good fun once in a while, but if you don't know about these hidden calories. eg. a chesse and tomatoe pasta bake could have 1/4 of you RDA.
If you still are worried, try making some meals yourself - then you'll know exactly what goes in them and you can control everything.
But I think that you sound like a very healthy person, and as long as you excercise, and eat, drink (cut down on soda and alcohol) and sleep right, you'll be looking fine in those pictures.

distantarray
09-05-2010, 10:44 AM
not all fruits and veggies are created equal, but remember as well that muscle weighs more than fat, and some people like myself included especially no matter how much I workout I generally stay at the same weight but I can look like a completely different person. Dropped 15% body fat and replaced it all the weight with muscle. Also depending on your diet you could be eating a lot of salty foods to help increase water retention, and could also have something like a hypo or hyperthyroidism is where your hormone levels are at abnormal rates. which can hinder your weight loss, which foods even like strawberries and spinich should be avoided which sounds really weird cause those are generally very healthy foods. They say about 10% or more women have this condition, but many go undiagnosed as well.

weight height and some more info would be nice as well, more the better

insideimmortal
09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm a veggie too.
I've found that in many 'healthy' meals there lurks a surprising ammount of fat. They are good fun once in a while, but if you don't know about these hidden calories. eg. a chesse and tomatoe pasta bake could have 1/4 of you RDA.
If you still are worried, try making some meals yourself - then you'll know exactly what goes in them and you can control everything.
But I think that you sound like a very healthy person, and as long as you excercise, and eat, drink (cut down on soda and alcohol) and sleep right, you'll be looking fine in those pictures.

yes i am really healthy and i donīt feel bad. itīs only tha ti donīt like the way it comes out >.< i know that you are suppose too love yourself and outside is not all but i really donīt wanna get bullied on internet >.>

HomeDepot
09-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Well going vegetarian is not actually a weight loss diet, nor is it necessarily more healthy than a diet containing meat. You should look back to how you ate before you became a vegetarian. Do you have to eat more to feel full now that you became a vegetarian? Many vegetarians replace the protein in their diet with fat to feel satisfied after a meal.
If you want to stay a vegetarian you should cut back on meat substitutes and get more of your protein from beans, lentils, milk and eggs. Also try to find some highly nutritious vegetables that you enjoy. kale, spinach, collards, swiss chard, anything with a strong color is good for you. this will help you to feel full and get all the nutrients your body needs.

Most importantly I looked at the picture of you on your page and you are not fat. If people are making fun of you for your body then they are the ones in the wrong.

distantarray
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
most vegitarians have problem with iron, b12, magnesium and calcium deficiencies so careful on what you eat if your not taking vitamins, and just make sure your getting some types of protein on a regular basis although it can be hard to hit 20 grams of protein just on veggies alone at times.

insideimmortal
09-09-2010, 01:44 PM
most vegitarians have problem with iron, b12, magnesium and calcium deficiencies so careful on what you eat if your not taking vitamins, and just make sure your getting some types of protein on a regular basis although it can be hard to hit 20 grams of protein just on veggies alone at times.

i donīt understand that really. i started taking potein pills but i stopped taking them because they werenīt much help. i just got more like hyper with using them. but could that have helped for the " not going down in weight" thing? then i do understand because i got a tip from a friend that if you donīt eat enough vitamins and such the body takes up alot more too fill in that.

Sister Kyoya
09-15-2010, 07:24 PM
My background: vegan, 32 yrs old (next month), and weigh over 350 lbs. I have been overweight since I was 6 and hope to start reversing that soon.

The first thing that I thought of after reading your initial post was that if you are doing the types of things that you are supposed to, eating and exercise wise like has already been stated, and if you have lost weight, for the moment you could be looking at the wrong culprits. Depending on how much you have lost in inches (because muscle weighs more than fat) you stated the problem yourself. It's in the photos where the problem really stands out, and I agree based on the profile pics you have.

When was the last time your cosplay outfit was taken in?

Poor fitting clothes, even on skinny as a rail people, still look like frumpy, ill fitted clothes. Taking in seams to get clothes to fit right is not the funnest thing in the world to do, but it can make a big difference. I have been sewing my own clothes since I was 14, and was sewing long before that. And the other bonus is better fitting clothes make you feel better about wearing them, giving you more confidence!

It has taken me a lot of years to fully realize the fact that I cannot compare myself to anyone else, all it does is turn into an emotional fight of putting myself down. Most of my life I thought I hated myself, but I came to realize that I love myself, and all of my loads of talents that I have. I just don't like my current shape. Caring for myself enough to change for myself, not because of someone else I want to look like means that I can change my situation. How often do you spend telling yourself what things you like most about you instead of pointing out the flaws? Personally I think you have an adorable face!

*Hugs*
Sister Kyoya

Rjr3412
09-15-2010, 09:13 PM
The main way that you are going to manage to lose weight is basically to change your eating patterns. Something that is a great recommendation when you are first trying to get a good hold on what you eat each day is to keep a food journal. This is not to encourage or discourage any particular foods, just to get an idea of how much you eat.

Figure out how many calories and protein/carbohydrates/fat are in each meal you are eating. Google is your friend for this. Add it up and average it out over the week.
Either A. You are eating too many carbs/fats and not enough protein
B. You are eating too much
C. You are eating at the wrong time of day, not spreading out your calories

These three things probably account for 90%+ of people who have trouble losing weight. The biggest step you can take is understanding exactly what you need to do to accomplish the change you are seeking.

And on a side note, I'm pretty sure I've never heard of protein pills, nor do they sound very appetizing.

Kuchiki-chan
09-15-2010, 10:12 PM
I've been a vegetarian for 7 years now, and I can understand where you are coming from. I think a big problem I soon realized after being a vegetarian is that you MUST study up on your nutrition-- being healthy by eating the right nutrients and vitamins is way better than starving yourself... I became paranoid about this and would eat a lot of meals trying to reach my daily levels for my vitamins and minerals, thus gaining weight.
I know you said you've been eating healthy, which is a good thing, but like a lot of other people are mentioning, it's a good idea to keep track of how much sodium, sugar, and calories are in each of your meals. All of these can be turned against you, very easily. x.x
It's tough sometimes finding food as a vegetarian, especially when you go out to eat places (pasta and salad seem to be the only things I can find sometimes -.-) but try to keep it organic.
It's definitely a plus that you are keeping up with a routine for exercise, but maybe try adding a different work out each day to see which you think might benefit more? Just a few suggestions, but you seem to be on a the right track :D

HEYOashley
09-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Iron truly is a big issue. Pills can help, but the body does not absorb vitamins as easily through pills as it does through food. My friend was a vegetarian and was pretty much anemic because of the lack of iron she was getting from her food.

Good foods to look out for are dark greens, nuts, beans, and my favorite fruits :D Especially stuff like plums and apricots. If you're an ovo-vegetarian (I think that's right??) try eating more eggs.

BreakerDeeEss
09-18-2010, 06:20 PM
If you're a practicing vegan and eat salads, be sure to watch what you put in your salad. The savory and delicious dressings you put on to them might be packing pounds on you. Look at the nutrition label on Ranch Dressing then proceed to:waaaah:

Sister Kyoya
09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
If you're a practicing vegan and eat salads, be sure to watch what you put in your salad. The savory and delicious dressings you put on to them might be packing pounds on you. Look at the nutrition label on Ranch Dressing then proceed to:waaaah:

Technically speaking if someone is a vegan they wouldn't be eating ranch because of the milk base. ;) But it is a good thing to point out that even for vegans that fats can sneak in too. Nuts and nut butters are good but everything in moderation, and cheese substitutes and other prepackaged things can sneak more fat in than it seems at times. On the other hand, your body does need a little fat every day or it can cause other major problems.

If you need help keeping better track of what your eating and want a good overall 'food log' without doing a ton of math, here are a couple of free sites that I know of:
http://caloriecount.about.com/
http://www.fitday.com

Both are free to use and track your nutrition and activity as well. CalorieCount seems a bit easier to use, but FitDay has the option of tracking your moods, and that can be important to see the overall picture of sometimes why a routine can work better some days and not another.

*Hugs*
Sister Kyoya

insideimmortal
11-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Well going vegetarian is not actually a weight loss diet, nor is it necessarily more healthy than a diet containing meat. You should look back to how you ate before you became a vegetarian. Do you have to eat more to feel full now that you became a vegetarian? Many vegetarians replace the protein in their diet with fat to feel satisfied after a meal.
If you want to stay a vegetarian you should cut back on meat substitutes and get more of your protein from beans, lentils, milk and eggs. Also try to find some highly nutritious vegetables that you enjoy. kale, spinach, collards, swiss chard, anything with a strong color is good for you. this will help you to feel full and get all the nutrients your body needs.

Most importantly I looked at the picture of you on your page and you are not fat. If people are making fun of you for your body then they are the ones in the wrong.

i didnīt become veggie for losing wieght, i used too never eat meat before so i decided that i should stop eating it at all since when i did fter a week or so i became so sick, i accually started too eat alot less when i became one, no real reason there.....
i havenīt really added fat or something too every meal too feel satisfied after, since even though i mostly just eat sallad or apple.
thanks for the tips, i shall check out for the market fruit and vegetables tomorow too check out for it. thanks alot!

thanks! *blush*

WARPAINTandUnicorns
11-24-2010, 05:05 PM
I also had a vegan friend that the first thing she really need to catch herself on was wheat and grain intake to feel full. Pasta/breads and other baked goods are where a lot of calories come from in all diets.

Also not eating enough can cause you body to go in starvation mode and pack on the fat to make sure it has the energy it needs in lieu of 3 meals a day or 5 smaller meals a day with a proper calorie intake for your body. If your in this mode you can never get thin because you body isn't process enough nutrients to stop that process and realize it doesn't need to do this. It also takes time to reset this survival instinct so your going to have to be patient before seeing any improvements.

I find I have to be careful of this since I can find that a is lunch when I busy during the week and forget that I'm hungry or not even fell hungry when I'm busy.

Satine
11-24-2010, 07:51 PM
my friends and parents says that it shows tha ti have lost weight. even my hairdresser commented on that. but everytime i get a photo of myself cosplaying or such. ough. i jsut look so damn fat >.< ( no offence too people ) i just donīt understand.

I think people are missing this part.. it sounds more like a body image issue.

Have you asked what they are seeing? Sometimes we are so focussed on what we perceive as our faults we aren't able to see clearly. Also weight loss when done in a healthy way will take longer than we may like or be able to see objectively.

Have you noticed a change in the fit of your clothes? This is usually the most clear indicator rather than what we perceive in photos of ourselves or the mirror.

I have been vegetarian for 21 years and it's not been the main contributor to my weight loss or gain, though it really is very hard to find a protein source that is rich in protein but low in starches (I tend to prefer tofu for this reason as it frees me to eat my carbs as I like- very little of the alternatives I prefer are high in fat even the fake meats). I do like skim milk which apparently is good in protein but too much calcium contributes to iron deficency (if you have ever taken iron supplements you'll see it says to not take with antacids or calcium.) I have other issues due to medication that makes it hard (one of which is iron depletion, one is B12 deficiency and the other is osteopaenia- in combination there is little my diet has on it- I have to have injections.. sigh) but everything I can do I try.

Please don't worry too much. Aside from the horrible turmoil you can create in your mind that is hard to shift stress does have an immediate and long term effect on health. If you are worried please see your GP and ask for advice. My GP has assured me that my vegetarianism is not at fault, I was starting to doubt because of so much advice from non-medical people.

You may also have another issue that a lot of people have and makes them feel bad- check for food intolerances. Again I have food and medical issues here and I really find it affects how I feel physically and thus perceive myself. But again a medical practitioner is the one to talk to about this rather than non-medical. Self diagnosis can be dangerous or just unhelpful.

So in summary, please take care and get proper medical advice

ShineyPenny
11-24-2010, 11:41 PM
i donīt understand that really. i started taking potein pills but i stopped taking them because they werenīt much help. i just got more like hyper with using them. but could that have helped for the " not going down in weight" thing? then i do understand because i got a tip from a friend that if you donīt eat enough vitamins and such the body takes up alot more too fill in that.

You will not get enough protein from pills for it to be effective, it doesn't matter what the label says. Ask any gym "freak," football player and MMA fighter- they take it in powder form or in the form of food.

For protein- get a tub protein powder, eat eggs (raw is best, but risky with salmonella...I take that risk everyday though), eat chicken (no skin) and/or eat beans. The common way is to take the protein powders, they can be found at any sport nutrition store, Wal Mart, Target and in grocery stores. Just be sure to get the kind with low sugar, and don't be influenced by claims of a particular brand being "XXXL HARDCORE PROTEIN."

WARPAINTandUnicorns
11-25-2010, 01:47 PM
ShineyPenny your missing the point that she is vegan, No eggs and Not meat. Certain types of beans are a protein substitutes. Protein powder added to drinks is another way to go.

Arti
11-25-2010, 03:04 PM
i have tried too loose weight for quite some time now. iīm vegeterian but i also donīt eat fish. and i do eat healthy food. i excercise like always. going outside and run and walk. but i havenīt lost a single pound since i accually started wich was more than haf a year ago...

my friends and parents says that it shows tha ti have lost weight. even my hairdresser commented on that. but everytime i get a photo of myself cosplaying or such. ough. i jsut look so damn fat >.< ( no offence too people ) i just donīt understand. yea. i donīt have an issue wit my weight i donīt feel bad or such. but i really donīt wanna look like a cow on ym cosplay photos ... i donīt eat as much as i did beforeor so. but, ough. it makes me mad. half of everyone i know is f*cking ribbs tin and itīs not funny wlaking around with them as the fat cow :bigcry:

please help anyone? i donīt get this things anymore. :waaaah:

omfg is someone able too help me?!? please !?!?

It seems to me that you haven't gained weight nor you havne't lost weight: You're in equilibrium. So the amount that you eat with the type of exercise kept you in the same equilibrium. I don't think it's diet as a problem since a vegeterian diet loves to stray away from the saturated fats from animal sources.

You mentioned your exercise regimen which is mostly all walking and running for long periods of time. First, I'd say to pick up the intensity of your exercise regimen, such as more days of running, or periods of intervals (not High Intensity Intervals... I mean periods of Fast running and Jogging). Best bet is to actually incorporate a resistance program as well. Goal is to simply improve the composition of your body: You'll be roughly the same weight (perhaps a few pounds less) while looking more leaner with an increased muscle mass. With more muscle, you can pick up the intensity of your cardio exercises as well, causing more calories to be burned.

As for diet: Although vegan diets tend to lave low saturated fats in their diet (because they consume less lean proteins), simple carbs such as sugars and other empty calories (which technically is vegan) will put a dent into your body (In short, In table sugar, about 15% of the caloric intake is converted into fat because your body cannot readily use fructose). I would not worry about protein either. I think you're eating sufficient amounts, you're just not working out hard enough to utilize more of it.

ShineyPenny
11-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Ani_Bee, Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat dairy products and eggs, there's another kind that doesn't but I forgot what they're called. Since my sister cannot stand the taste of protein shakes, she blends eggs with her fruit smoothies to get her daily protein intake.

xGreenling
11-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Ooh - gettin' my vegan bum in on this thread... though actually, almost all of this pertains to omnivores, too.

Greens are good. Greens are awesome. They are full of vitamins and minerals and fibre and antioxidants, and while they're very low in calories, you'll find that of those calories, a non-trivial proportion are from protein.
Other non-starchy vegetables should be next on your agenda, because they'll have the combination of water and fibre that will keep you full on fewer calories.
Fruit is also good - go easy on the avocados and bananas, though. Berries are the best, but apples are also absolutely awesome (and, actually, affect alliteration)!
Grains... okay, I don't eat a lot of grains, because I'm gluten-intolerant and it's more effort to cook a pot of brown rice than to make a slice of toast. :P But the idea here is to watch your serving sizes, since the amount of grains you need is actually a lot smaller than most people think (make a fist, that's about it for a meal for most people) and eat unrefined grains instead of white, refined carbs because you'll be getting more fibre and b-vitamins.
Beans and legumes (including soya) are mainstays, and since you can (I assume?) eat wheat, wheat protein ie seitan/faux meat is a great easy way to get a lot of protein in a small package. Don't just get stuck on soya and quorn, though; there's a whole world of hummus (make it without oil) and red lentil dhal and French lentil salad and black bean chili!
Nuts and seeds are important for essential fatty acids, and are good for a bit of protein, too. Eat them in moderation, but do eat them.
Other stuff - if you can get nutritional yeast (if you're in the UK, it's usually sold as Engevita, in a cylindrical carton-type thing) it's brilliant for b-vitamins and minerals; if you can't find it, Marmite will work. They come from kind of the same process. Marmite is just a heck of a lot more pungent!

If you're eating enough leafy greens, nuts and seeds, and using fortified soya milk or nutritional yeast, you probably have your bases covered for b-12, magnesium and calcium. B-12 deficiency is usually an absorption issue rather than one of insufficient consumption; artificial b-12 is absorbed more efficiently than the 'real' stuff by a lot of people and some just end up having to get shots of it if they're prone to deficiency.

Also worth noting - if you're not working out quite hard and trying to tone or build up muscle, as long as you're getting enough food in general (and if you're not losing weight or feeling crummy, that's probably the case) you're probably getting enough protein. The WHO recommendations state that it's perfectly reasonable to be able to get by with 10% of your total daily caloric intake coming from protein. You're not going to turn into Ahnold on that much, but you're not going to keel over and die, either.

brucer007
11-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Maybe it is not just what you eat, but also how and when you eat it.

I am photographing the next "Fabio" for romance novel covers. He has given me some tips on how he keeps his athletic form in good shape. He does work out in the gym, and he makes sure his dieit is high in protein and low in carbs. His protein intake is at least 50 gram per day to help rebuild the muscles he breaks down.

Some of his tips:
1) Work out in the morning, before you eat, so you are burning fat rather than calories.
2) Drink an equivalent of gallon of water each day.

Drinking Green tea will by the pot each day will also let fat pass through the body and stimulate metabolism.

Arti
11-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Maybe it is not just what you eat, but also how and when you eat it.

I am photographing the next "Fabio" for romance novel covers. He has given me some tips on how he keeps his athletic form in good shape. He does work out in the gym, and he makes sure his dieit is high in protein and low in carbs. His protein intake is at least 50 gram per day to help rebuild the muscles he breaks down.

Some of his tips:
1) Work out in the morning, before you eat, so you are burning fat rather than calories.
2) Drink an equivalent of gallon of water each day.

Drinking Green tea will by the pot each day will also let fat pass through the body and stimulate metabolism.

I just want to note the two extremes here that I gotta itch off:

The athletic conditioning of a bodybuilder and a person that just wants to look toned are opposite ends of the spectrum. For a bodybuilder, who (should be) in his peak athletic form, would to worry about diet in addition to exercise, to once again, be able to recover fully from his harder workouts (although I do find hi protein low carb broad at times, he could just have just ate enough carbs to get through his workouts, or actually avoid rich sources altogether). For just a average individual just wanting to get toned and perhaps lose some excess body fat. A change in diet would not improve one's composition as much if they're not changing their exercise regimen. For example, there are some replies that mentioned that more intense exercises should be considered, rather than consuming more protein (in which I agree on). If people did eat lots of protein (they usually consume more then enough of), they would all have strong/toned legs from all the daily activity (but that isn't the case, those who do had to place a demand on them first)

When you work out does not matter either, as long as you get it in. Some people like to do it in the mornings to get it out of the way, some do it later in the day because they got some food in them for the day. But doing it in the morning on an empty stomach, especailly when not eating for the entire time sleeping: There is some analogy to it, but it can be applied at anytime of the day, it just happens more often in the mornings: Simply just don't eat right before a workout. If you have to just to ease your hunger, something very light and complex (ie no simple sugars) just to quell your hunger for a morning run.

I'm a avid fan of green tea as well. As long as you don't add any sugar or milk into it (usually I can handle it... but not coffee). The caffeine will definitely give you an energy boost, plus many other benefits they like to tack on so they can upsell their product :P

Magesticbrat01
11-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Try this book, http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Revolutionary-Formula-Sustained/dp/0316735507/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291009286&sr=1-1

Its made for people who are vegetarian or vegan and want to lose weight. You drop pounds in a snap! My personal trainer recommends it.

LeilaNami
12-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm surprised none of you have mentioned meal schedule! Eating only a couple times a day can drastically slow your metabolism. How often are you eating a day? A person, on whatever diet, should be eating small meals and snacks several times a day, breakfast being the largest meal of the day so you can burn off those calories while you are awake. Never ever eat right before going to bed either.

Saying you have issues with your weight is ambiguous. Are you actually overweight or do you picture yourself or feel overweight? You still haven't mentioned your height and weight. Are you toning your muscles along with doing your cardio to help burn the fat? I can say first hand that I look heavier and don't fit well into my clothes when I am not toned, but I am certainly not overweight. I look fat (to me) because I got love handles now yet I'm around 100lbs. Keep in mind you should only be losing at most a couple pounds a week and never more. At that point you start burning away your muscle rather than fat and it slows your metabolism down even more.

insideimmortal
06-07-2011, 06:29 AM
You will not get enough protein from pills for it to be effective, it doesn't matter what the label says. Ask any gym "freak," football player and MMA fighter- they take it in powder form or in the form of food.

For protein- get a tub protein powder, eat eggs (raw is best, but risky with salmonella...I take that risk everyday though), eat chicken (no skin) and/or eat beans. The common way is to take the protein powders, they can be found at any sport nutrition store, Wal Mart, Target and in grocery stores. Just be sure to get the kind with low sugar, and don't be influenced by claims of a particular brand being "XXXL HARDCORE PROTEIN."

thanks for tips. but chiken? i clearly stated i was vegeterian XD i donīt really know what people make thinking that chiken doesnīt have meat in it. it has meat. only a different type of struckture. thanks anyways XD

insideimmortal
06-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Try this book, http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Revolutionary-Formula-Sustained/dp/0316735507/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291009286&sr=1-1

Its made for people who are vegetarian or vegan and want to lose weight. You drop pounds in a snap! My personal trainer recommends it.

thanks alot ^^ certainly the best reply iīve gotten on this forum ^^ thanks alot 8D again.