PDA

View Full Version : My legs are too fat.

Magical Machete
09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
So I see a lot of threads about "how to lose that gut! : D" but... My gut isnt my problem. D: Its my giant thighs. And I know there are other people out there who feel the same. I can lose as much weight as I want from any other area of my body, but I cant lose any weight from my thighs D: So does anyone know any good ways to fix this issue?

Side note: I think I have a pretty good diet. I eat mostly rice, vegetables, fruit, and yogurt. occasionally I eat chicken or fish, sometimes even beef. I also do PT everyday. Tuesdays and Thursdays I lift weights, and the other 3 days of the week I do cardio and endurance. It helps everything but what I need it too.

Reisana-chan
09-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Maybe it's not your thighs being 'fat', but just muscley? I have large thighs and i play sports that involve a lot of running. And by the sounds of it you excersise and eat well, so I think it's just because your fit, not because they're fat :D.
About getting rid of the largeness, that I can't answer, I think it's kind of like a 'loving your body' situation, but that's just me..
I hope your get your answer soon :) but don't fret over it too much, everyone has their imperfections ^^~

Magical Machete
09-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Maybe it's not your thighs being 'fat', but just muscley? I have large thighs and i play sports that involve a lot of running. And by the sounds of it you excersise and eat well, so I think it's just because your fit, not because they're fat :D.
About getting rid of the largeness, that I can't answer, I think it's kind of like a 'loving your body' situation, but that's just me..
I hope your get your answer soon :) but don't fret over it too much, everyone has their imperfections ^^~

Well, I used to play soccer and do ballet, and at first i thought it was that. then i started actually examining myself. There is a lot of fat on my thighs. D: i mean, yeah theres muscle, but i want to slim down the fat and maybe even lose some of that muscle.

thanks for all of your help though. :3 i mean, i think it is a matter of loving my body, but i feel like it just needs to be fixed. @_@

.rachel.
09-06-2010, 09:48 AM
You could try doing toning exercises like wall squats and lunges. I'm not sure there's a way to loose the muscle you already have, but you shouldn't worry about bulking up because women don't have anywhere near the amount of testosterone a man has.

Sisshi
09-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Here's a few exersizes that I needed to do for my physical therapy on my knee. (I had to build muscle around it first)

Lay flat on the ground on your back, lift one leg, hold it for twenty seconds and lower, then do it with the other leg. Turn on your side, do a few leg lifts for five second intrevals and do the same on the other side. lay on your stomach and lift like you did on your back. These'll tone up your glutes and thighs and get rid of fat.

Riding a bike will tone up the muscles in your legs too.

distantarray
09-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I'd probably recommend working out the upper body and doing upper body cardio more. Poi is a great upper body cardio, and doing circuit training with upper body will help make the lower body more balanced, and if your not taking in enough protein and calories your body will literally break down some muscle in other places to rebuild in else where. So this could help you lose muscle in your legs but I don't recommend it, I'd just ease up on leg workouts for a while if you want to lose some muscle mass, but you'll have to do more upper body cardio to make up for it so you don't gain a bunch of fat in the process.

having big thighs are not always a bad thing, "Men and women with thighs over 60cm (23.6in) in circumference have a lower risk of heart disease and early death, a study of 3,000 people suggests." -http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8236384.stm

Magical Machete
09-06-2010, 08:21 PM
thanks for all the help everyone. :3 ill look into trying some of these things <3 heehee

juusanbantaigrr
09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I have just one question-- are you Eastern European and/or have Eastern European family?

My mom's family is Czech, and I have the smallest thighs of all of them--which is ridiculous because my thighs are like 26 inches around at their widest bit. I have long legs, and they're nice below the knee, but I don't wear uber-short skirts because no matter how much I exercise the thighs never go away. In fact, they just get bigger and more muscular :P

distantarray
09-07-2010, 10:15 AM
I have just one question-- are you Eastern European and/or have Eastern European family?

My mom's family is Czech, and I have the smallest thighs of all of them--which is ridiculous because my thighs are like 26 inches around at their widest bit. I have long legs, and they're nice below the knee, but I don't wear uber-short skirts because no matter how much I exercise the thighs never go away. In fact, they just get bigger and more muscular :P

You should check out LPGA lately, the top 20 of any golf tournament lately atleast half the top 20 are Korean. They usually have thunder thighs =) I guess it's good for stability ;) whatever works but Asians are dominating the sport ever since Se Ri Pak few years back. I like having big thighs great to kick ass =)

Magical Machete
09-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Im a combination of Italian and Bulgarian. @_@
FFFUUUU I dont want to be cursed forever... oh well... i guess i better learn some good angles.... haha

dustbunny
09-08-2010, 09:49 PM
See im italian also and i have the thigh problem--and i go to the gym 5 days a week and i eat a balanced diet. The thighs are still there.
I did realize that its better then having a gut and that tights are great.
But if u go to the gym using the leg press is the best thing.

Magical Machete
09-09-2010, 02:14 AM
See im italian also and i have the thigh problem--and i go to the gym 5 days a week and i eat a balanced diet. The thighs are still there.
I did realize that its better then having a gut and that tights are great.
But if u go to the gym using the leg press is the best thing.

Wah <3 I feel better then! <3 Thanks so much! - goes to gym >:3 -

NiwaNiwa
09-13-2010, 06:00 PM
:I Good luck!!
I have a big butt i feeell yerhhhhpaiiinnn

bkyoung
09-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry there's no such thing as fat spot removal. Just eat right and do 30 min of cardio daily and then use wights to make them more defined. Hope this helped :P

Magical Machete
09-14-2010, 04:54 AM
I do one and a half hours of cardio every other day, and I eat almost all fruits and veggies. Ive been doing that for the past 2 years. No fast food. No soda. Very little meat (only chicken and fish occasionally) and I have lost weight everywhere but in my legs.

distantarray
09-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I do one and a half hours of cardio every other day, and I eat almost all fruits and veggies. Ive been doing that for the past 2 years. No fast food. No soda. Very little meat (only chicken and fish occasionally) and I have lost weight everywhere but in my legs.

one and half hours of cardio every other day and your wondering why you haven't lost weight in your legs? XD one and half hour is still pretty insane imo, great work, but remember changing it up can help you burn more fat if your not already practicing it. HIIT training which is high intensity interval training where you go jog, run, sprint, walk on random cycles burns more fat than running at a constant speed, random elevation can help solve this problem on treadmill if you like to stay on the same speed for a little while.

Also instead of doing 1 session of cardio before hand you can also have a few more rest day and double up your load although 3 hours would be insane, but i'm prett sure your fine and don't need these tips but yea, you seem to be doing fine =)

Ani_BEE
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
You sound like you have a pear figure Magical Machete which mean the last place your going to lose weight is in the tights and boot. I would ask your PL trainer if the have any more targeted workouts for that area overall.

The sad truth is that we are designed to be constantly active and most of use are chain to desk in our job setting. 1.5 Is a good for your over health don't get me wrong but get a really sculpted body my co-workers spend 1 to 2 hours per night at the guy to achieve and maintain there's ... I wish I had that time.

Magical Machete
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
one and half hours of cardio every other day and your wondering why you haven't lost weight in your legs? XD one and half hour is still pretty insane imo, great work, but remember changing it up can help you burn more fat if your not already practicing it. HIIT training which is high intensity interval training where you go jog, run, sprint, walk on random cycles burns more fat than running at a constant speed, random elevation can help solve this problem on treadmill if you like to stay on the same speed for a little while.

Also instead of doing 1 session of cardio before hand you can also have a few more rest day and double up your load although 3 hours would be insane, but i'm prett sure your fine and don't need these tips but yea, you seem to be doing fine =)
Well, by cardio, I mean its not just running. I could bike or anything really. Its always different. sometimes I jog, run, do sprints, stairs, bike, run backwards (yeh my friend is crazy XD), everything I can think of.

ANd the days I dont do Cardio, im doing muscle/endurance for the same amount of time. Not heavy bulking up or anything crazy. but like, sit ups, crunches, push ups, light weights, and all the other things they teach you in the army haha and then some added on.

My rest day is saturday. Sometimes sunday if i have other plans... ive been doing this for at LEAST one and a half to two years. I used to do even more, but the entire time, my legs havent changed. there all the same measurements, and they look the exact same. the only thing i think may have changed, it that my calves are a bit smaller.

thanks for helping me out though! :D

Magical Machete
09-14-2010, 04:18 PM
You sound like you have a pear figure Magical Machete which mean the last place your going to lose weight is in the tights and boot. I would ask your PL trainer if the have any more targeted workouts for that area overall.

The sad truth is that we are designed to be constantly active and most of use are chain to desk in our job setting. 1.5 Is a good for your over health don't get me wrong but get a really sculpted body my co-workers spend 1 to 2 hours per night at the guy to achieve and maintain there's ... I wish I had that time.
man... :|

I work at a desk a lot, but I walk everywhere i need to go and i work out everyday of the week, i would think that would be enough.

distantarray
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM

If you really want to do something and put your mind to it you can, a friend has 2 jobs, married with 2 young kids, and taking online classes and still has time to workout. It's on how you set your schedule and what your willing to sacrifice and give up.

Like people often have hard time saving money, but if you skip a regular night of drinking, clubbing, going out to eat with a bunch of friends that can easily save you 100-200 a week. Or by carrying around a 24 pack of water in your car and some caffeine pills if you need some energy instead of an energy drink.

Most people say they don't have time can still tell me about TV shows and movies, I'm sorry but if your telling me about every episode of American Idol and survivor and you say you have no time, sorry that doesn't work. Only ones that applies to 98% of people that don't work out is. 1. Lazy 2. Unmotivated maybe only 2% will really be strapped on time.

ninjagal6
09-18-2010, 01:37 AM
yeah ive noticed that the rest of my body has lost some fat, like I have a bit more of a figure, but my thighs are still the same. i can grab like 3/4 of a fist of fat. How can I loose the flab in the inner thigh?
I work out every day, 30 minutes on the stationary bike on random setting level 8 with a "4" seat adjustment. really my calves seem very toned now, just how can i do that to my thighs?
speaking of, is there an average thigh circumference number anywhere? I know I'm 5'10 and 15 years old, but I still cant help but think my thighs are bigger then most peoples...

distantarray
09-18-2010, 02:09 AM
yeah ive noticed that the rest of my body has lost some fat, like I have a bit more of a figure, but my thighs are still the same. i can grab like 3/4 of a fist of fat. How can I loose the flab in the inner thigh?
I work out every day, 30 minutes on the stationary bike on random setting level 8 with a "4" seat adjustment. really my calves seem very toned now, just how can i do that to my thighs?
speaking of, is there an average thigh circumference number anywhere? I know I'm 5'10 and 15 years old, but I still cant help but think my thighs are bigger then most peoples...

genetically people hold fat deposits differently in different places, that's why some people will show a 6pack at 10% body fat and some won't show til 7% (guys) that just means you have to work harder to reach your goals, but don't get discouraged , look it at as a longer goal, it sucks cause I love to workout and I don't want to get much bigger than I am now but I want to get stronger -_-;

VodkaLeRae
09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Dude all I can say is that I feel your pain. ;~; My hips are pretty wide just naturally, and my thighs are rather large. (Even though I'm a catcher in Softball)

REALLY NOT COOL. I wish there was something do to about it, yet it seems we're both in the same boat. :/ YOU'RE NOT ALONE.

Magical Machete
09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Dude all I can say is that I feel your pain. ;~; My hips are pretty wide just naturally, and my thighs are rather large. (Even though I'm a catcher in Softball)

REALLY NOT COOL. I wish there was something do to about it, yet it seems we're both in the same boat. :/ YOU'RE NOT ALONE.

<3 We'll pull through this together! ; A; -flails-

Yonbi
09-25-2010, 09:04 AM
<3 We'll pull through this together! ; A; -flails-

Baww, I'm also cursed with big hips (HIP bones, there's no losing that. *sigh*), and thighs that I wish would disappear. WHAT I have to offer is a neat, little work out program that you can buy from any GNC or Popeye nutrition/work-out store (I haven't checked them all, but it's in all GNC stores.) It may seem expensive, but I vouch for it, and I'm a work-out buff when I feel like it. P90X is something similar to Billy Blanks' old work out VHS' except it's extreme, you will feel like dying the next day if you don't properly stretch and it's intense. What I mean by intense, is that if you expect this to be some easy kick-boxing thing, you'll be sorely mistaken. It's pretty much: "no sweat, no gain; and it might hurt just a bit."

All you need to do it (besides extra cash lying around for the CD's) is: water, towel, a set of weights that you feel comfortable with, a yoga mat, and stretchy bands if you can't do pull-ups or chin-ups.

There's twelve CD's which include: Chest & Back, Plyometrics, Shoulders & Arms, Yoga, Legs & Back, Kenpo, Stretch, Core Synergistic's, Back & Biceps, Cardio, Ab Ripper, and Chest, Shoulder's and Triceps.

It's a 90 day program. Dude, and it seems so long, I'm a lazy bum that needs motivation to do ANYTHING, but when I do this I feel pretty good. I say that if I can do it, anyone can. It's always better to do this with someone else, it's more fun and you end up laughing through it (or I do, anyway?). Seriously though, when I came back from the Military and started doing this, I was way stronger. I'm a laaaady and proud of my man-muscles. Pffft, it's some good though. And drink LOTS of water. XD

distantarray
09-25-2010, 11:20 PM
little work out program that you can buy from any GNC or Popeye nutrition/work-out store

I lol'd pretty hard here cause there's no Popeye nutrition store here and thought you were referring to Popeye's chicken for nutrition lol

Magical Machete
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Baww, I'm also cursed with big hips (HIP bones, there's no losing that. *sigh*), and thighs that I wish would disappear. WHAT I have to offer is a neat, little work out program that you can buy from any GNC or Popeye nutrition/work-out store (I haven't checked them all, but it's in all GNC stores.) It may seem expensive, but I vouch for it, and I'm a work-out buff when I feel like it. P90X is something similar to Billy Blanks' old work out VHS' except it's extreme, you will feel like dying the next day if you don't properly stretch and it's intense. What I mean by intense, is that if you expect this to be some easy kick-boxing thing, you'll be sorely mistaken. It's pretty much: "no sweat, no gain; and it might hurt just a bit."

All you need to do it (besides extra cash lying around for the CD's) is: water, towel, a set of weights that you feel comfortable with, a yoga mat, and stretchy bands if you can't do pull-ups or chin-ups.

There's twelve CD's which include: Chest & Back, Plyometrics, Shoulders & Arms, Yoga, Legs & Back, Kenpo, Stretch, Core Synergistic's, Back & Biceps, Cardio, Ab Ripper, and Chest, Shoulder's and Triceps.

It's a 90 day program. Dude, and it seems so long, I'm a lazy bum that needs motivation to do ANYTHING, but when I do this I feel pretty good. I say that if I can do it, anyone can. It's always better to do this with someone else, it's more fun and you end up laughing through it (or I do, anyway?). Seriously though, when I came back from the Military and started doing this, I was way stronger. I'm a laaaady and proud of my man-muscles. Pffft, it's some good though. And drink LOTS of water. XD

I dont have GNC or Popeyes (aside from the fast food place) here in Korea. @_@;;; or at least, i cant find them D: But I have got a copy of p90x...

So, ive actually tried p90x... And it didnt work. I paid a lot of money for it... but ithere was no difference at all. Yeah, I got sweaty and hurt a bit, but im like that after most pt. I already do a lot of the things it has in it as normal PT for me, so my endurance for those activities is higher i guess. It could be because I work out with my personal trainer friend anyways @_@But i think I would have to do it for longer periods of time several times a day for it to work, and between work, school, homework, and the PT I already do, theres no way I could add more working out to my schedule. When I stop taking classes, I could try it again, but im skeptical. I dont think this is one of the programs that fit everyone D:

zssfanxxx
09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Do you have any exercise machine Magical Machete?

But if you don't have any..TRY dancing!:toothy:

Magical Machete
09-30-2010, 06:23 AM
I do... And I use them everyday.

xD I dont know how to dance LOL

Saralectric
09-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Magical,

It sounds like you are a very healthy girl and you take good care of yourself. I wish I were that dedicated to my exercise.

Honestly, I don't think you'll be able to reshape your legs. You can lose fat, but only from your whole body, not from one area. You can tone up, but your muscles are probably pretty tight as it is. You see, as much as we hate it, genetics shape us. Genes don't make us fat, but they do determine the way your body grows.

Having said that though, I would go ahead and echo what others have said. A lot of the cardio you're doing is lower body impact, like biking and running. We women have a much stronger tendency to develop lower body muscle than upper body, and the workouts you have chosen are definitely feeding that tendency. I would say, focus more on your core and upper body conditioning, while keeping your legs strong with low intensity training like yoga or aerobics.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have always carried most of my muscle in my legs and thighs. Having short legs doesn't help either. :bigcry: But really, as long as you are healthy, at a good weight, and keep taking good care of yourself, just learn to love your super strong thighs!

MutebS
10-03-2010, 04:13 AM
you can't control which part of your body you want to lose fat when you do an excersice. when you do an exercise, your body will just take fat from anywhere in the body and burn it. so even if you do legs excersices it doesn't mean that you will lose fat in your legs only. so you will just have to keep doing excersices until your body burns all the fat you want. or you can do excersices to gain muscles in the parts that you want, this you can control.