PDA

View Full Version : Posture?

Hawkstra
09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey guys! This one's a little different from the other posts here. I'm quite comfortable with my body as it is, except my posture. I'm 5'11 and since I'm taller than pretty much everyone I know, I tend to slouch. Does anyone have any tips for keeping good posture?

Rikuzue
09-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, bad posture is like a bad habit. In order stop slouching you have to constantly correct your posture untill good posture becomes a habit. I also heard the holding your self up with your stomach rather than resting you weight on your lower back helps.

Kildread
09-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Is it while sitting or standing?

I'm 6 feet tall myself (Well, 5 feet 11 7/8 inches if you want to nitpick) and I've been living with upper back pains since the beginning of the year because of that slouching issue.

Posture, either sitting or standing is always a manner of habit, and breaking that habit requires a lot of effort. There's no 'easy trick' around it, I'm afraid.

For standing up, it's best to maintain a posture that positions equal weight on both legs, if you're looking in the mirror and you naturally hang on one feet more than the other, it's bad. Normally, your back should form a slight 'S' (Check a few pictures of it on the internet for reference), get used to bending your legs more than your back to reach things.

For sitting up, it's a little easier, you need to adjust everything at the right level, so your legs bend for a 90~110 degrees angle at the knee with your feet resting on the floor.

If you work on a computer (Like me!), your chair should have a back rest that helps maintain the natural curve of the back while supporting most of it --- in my case I found it's right around the position of my elbows that it needs to be. Keyboard and mouse should be at the same level as your armrests, so you don't bend over constantly to type or use the mouse.

Sitting straigth on your chair, your eyes should be looking around the top quarter of the screen, if you need to look at the bottom of the screen, bend your chin inward so the head moves, don't slouch so your head gets level with the text.

Avoid resting your head on your arm, it weakens your back and shoulder muscles since it's often just your stiff arm bone that supports everything when you do it.

Also, stretching your back muscles daily helps add some elasticity and a modicum of strength to them, helping them support you. There's plenty of exercises to befound online for this (No need for it to be a training regiment, for those on a tight schedule)

All a shame I started paying attention to all this when I started having issues.

distantarray
09-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Sketches shape ups does a great job fixing your posture a bit, cause it takes the weight off your heels and more towards the ball of your feet so naturally you stand up straighter. This helped eleviate my dad's back pains from being a chef standing up for 12 hours on end.

Also doing hyper extentions, good mornings, anything that builds lower back and ab muscles will help as well. Also working out your upper back and rear delts will help push your shoulders back and working out your chest will help push your chest up a bit as well. Overall balance is the key in fixing posture.

BlooGiggles
09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, they say yoga is supposed to help with posture, so I would try that, specifically doing stretches that focus on that area.
I find that when I do yoga I'm more aware of how my body is positioned. Perhaps it would help if you do it in front of a mirror so you can see for yourself how it looks. C:

Chirudesu
09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
If you have it (I wouldn't tell you go get it just for this purpose) the Wii fit is crazy about posture, there's fun posture and balance improvement games that not only give you exercise, but help your posture. The board even gives you advice on how to stay in proper posture. I didn't know that putting all my weight on my heels was bad for me, apparently you should be leaning forward enough to be evenly placed over your feet with shoulders rolled back. Big toe, little toe, heel.