PDA

View Full Version : AV 2010 Feedback Thread

BrianAnim
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Hey everyone,

Once Anime Vegas 2010 is over, please reply and give your thoughts on this year's con. Stuff like:

Did you like the con? Or not so much?

What were some of the highlights for you or disappointments?

And.. will you return next year in 2011 or not?

Feel free to discuss what you thought about various things about the con: the hotel, the staff, masquerade, dealers' room, panels, cosplayers, etc.

Please be courteous if you have something to post about that you didn't like, as those con-staff who may read these posts want to know how to improve for next year. So try to keep it polite throughout the thread.

Thanks for your input!

BrianAnim
09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
SDCosplay.org review for Anime Vegas 2010 can be found here:
http://www.sdcosplay.org/reviews.html

Tenshi
09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Your notes on the Masquerade are interesting, BrianAnim. I was a Masquerade judge and as such I saw a portion of the competition the rest of the attendees were not able to see - craftsmanship judging! Unfortunately there were a VERY large number of groups that did not come to craftsmanship judging. Keep in mind that Performance awards (even for things like Choreography) ALSO take into consideration the quality of the costumes. A skit has to be absolutely phenomenal to take a performance award without also coming in for craftsmanship judging. I also think it's very poor form of you to say that the Seras cosplayer had a poorly made costume and prop, as I was able to see her work up close and your observations are quite frankly far off the mark.

We had a LOT of prizes to hand out so it did take a while to decide on our awards. I'm sorry we took so long but it would be worse to rush through the judging. Anime Expo 2007's Masq was an absolute fiasco because the judges were rushed. Craftsmanship judging cannot be completed until we see each contestant on stage. Just like much of a Performance award depends on the quality of the costume, Craftsmanship awards take into account how a contestant presents the costume(s) on stage.

I'm not sure why you're complaining about the Megaman cosplayer not getting Best Video Game Solo as she received a Judge's award and we considered those equally prestigious.

Hope this clears up a few things. That's all I will be saying about the decisions we made. I think I speak for the other two judges as well as myself when I say that we stand by our decisions.

ScarletRhapsody
09-07-2010, 11:17 PM
YEAH!
+ I like the resort type of setting. In some respects, it was better than Cashman.
+ Nice turnout to my "Applying to Fandom to College." Thanks for showing up!
+ Cosplaying as Miku on the strip.
+ Many thanks to masq. staff for letting me perform at the last minute and understanding about my health concern. You guys are awesome.
+ Power Ranger related panels should have been in main events. JDF's first panel was crazy!
+ Vic's Star Trek panel was fun!
+ Masquerade Ball was fun! Loved the Sailor Moon theme.
+ Chit chatting with voice actors and directors.
+ Charity auction. Got my hands on a L/R poster.
+ Meeting new friends. Lots of cool people.

WHAT?!
+ Weather can't be controlled. Not fond of the 100 degree weather.
+ Pump up the AC in the panel rooms.
+ Masq: PG-13 means PG-13. Save the saucy stuff for an adult themed con (ie: Yaoi Con).
+ Program guide was confusing. Where was the AMV contest?
+ Tons of "You Lost the Game" memes. It gets old. Stop. It.
+ Migraine / sinus headache on Day 1.
+ Some logistics fail: line situation, ticketing situation
+ Some staff had no clue what was going on and didn't know where things were.
+ Maid cafe was mediocre compared to the likes of Fanime. Needs improvement.
+ Alexis Park Hotel: You call THAT a buffet? In my 10+ years of going to cons, I never felt so ripped off in terms of food prices.
+ I heard someone was mugged on the hotel site. Confirm?
+ In addition to the above, I heard complaints that some parts of the hotel area were not lighted during the night time hours. My buddy complained about walking in the dark. This raises a safety concern for female attendees...
+ Con Sars FTW!!

OKAY...
+ I saw a Luna plush I liked, but missed out on getting it on the last day. Aww.

Returning in 2011? Maybe. Depends where I am and where Anime Vegas 2011 will be held. Both Cashman and Alexis Park has flaws. So, it's a wait and see game.

happysmeagol
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
:D Awww. Thank you. I'm glad you liked our skit. I wish we could have worked out that photoshoot with you. Toph did our choreography (Script: Zuko). We couldn't find costume judging ^^;;. Our rep ran out to use the bathroom at the end so maybe she missed that announcement (no one in registration area or lobby seemed to know where it was either).

I liked the con. I would rave about LittleKuriboh, but I already did that on the AV forum (as may33). It's dissapointing not to win, but we knew missing costume judging hurt our chances. It's still really fun to enter. I miss the comedy category though xD

The long judging wait gave me a chance to briefly party at the dance, which I rather enjoyed, but I'd still like to see it shorter next year.

I'll come back. I'm local & Rich is awesome :)

Hope to see you at another con Brian!

--Aang, the Avatar group <3

fandalia
09-08-2010, 07:08 PM
pros:the hotel had alot of nice places for photo ops.
some really fun panels this year.
meeting alot of awsome cosplayers and friends from past cons.

cons:dealers hall was really crowded.
the ball was to crowded and didn't really have the best musical choices.
the times being wrong or not being mentioned in the program guide.

chapstick
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Hello! I'm the programming director for Anime Vegas for 2010 (I DO NOT INTEND TO DO IT AGAIN!) and I'm here to answer some concerns and whatnot.

Regarding the wrongness of the program guide, I can say this now. Rich put the books together in a hurry after I had done the initial scheduling.

At the convention, things were changed around at the last moment so we had to print out daily schedules. (Whether they actually made it to being posted or not was another story. ><..) Next year we intend to do it in a nice newspaper-type format, so we'll see how that flows with the attendees. :3

For those that are complaining that LK's panel and JDF's panels should have been in main events.. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. When I first made the schedule, I had put them there. However since this year we didn't have a theater for concerts and the masquerade, that's how we ended up having to do things. =/ I was disappointed as well.

AND THE BALL! On my schedule it was listed from 8 o'clock to 11 o'clock. Worst part was while we were editing the book, we even corrected that part, but it must not have been saved properly. Not only that we were in a hurry, too. (The book was sent to the printer on August 16th. For some reason the printer took THREE WEEKS to get us the books, on day 0.)

As for AMV's, I hadn't heard about them until the last minute, and I was supposed to receive the schedule for the video room a LOOOONG time ago. Unfortunately it never made it to me and thus was never added to my schedule, which ended up in the book. Therefore I must apologize to the 10+ people that asked me about AMVs because I had NO IDEA when they were. D:

And as for ticketed events: I agree that the program guide should have said something about it, and it should have been handled a bit better, like tickets being handed out the first day or something, instead of an hour beforehand.

Now my own gripes:

+I'm glad all the panels went smoothly, and I must thank everyone that ran one because they contributed to the diversity of panels we had this year. I'm glad it wasn't just a single type show like we've had before.

-KARAOKE. We were totally unprepared for me to run karaoke apparently, as on the second night Rich had to run out and grab a small sound system. Also the internet at the hotel would not reach the karaoke room (the cheap internet at least) so no lyrics.

+Karaoke however had a nice turn-out. It was supposed to run until 3 AM both nights but it only ran until 2. I still have no plans to run it next year but we'll see, if we can be a bit more prepared next time. (with a book and lyrics)

-The dealers hallway was EXTREMELY crowded. Aside from the unshowered smell in a huge crowd, there's also the hazards. My boyfriend tripped over someone seated on the floor in the hall and hit his head on a door, REALLY HARD.

+Luckily for my boyfriend the blood drive was there with ice packs on hand! Hurray for the blood drive!

-Hotel food = con food in price. Still over the top.

-No place to sit in the halls except the floor. We should adopt what ALA does and get some artist-benches.

-The crowded halls got VERY hot and humid. Too many bodies, not enough space.

-Cosplay meeting did not stay in Apollo 3/4 (Panel room 1) like the schedule said. They would have had much more room there than in the ops hallway, and there would have been less confusion on the part of the masquerade entrants. (I seriously lead a group of like 10 entrants to the hallway for it.)

+However, for judging it was a good spot, away from the crowd of attendees and craziness.

-Too many people trying to take photos in the crowded hallways. Seriously, if you can't get a decent shot because there's people passing between the 3 feet of space between you and the cosplayer, YOU SHOULD MOVE.

+The onigiri sold by the yo-yo balloon woman was DELICIOUS. She even gave a secret discount to those who spoke Japanese, which I thought was awesome. She was also very kind and soft-spoken. I want her to be my mom, seriously.

-She's not my mom.

Sorry the post is a bit long. + are things I liked, - are things that weren't the best.

Vega-Lume
09-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Here is the review by The Anime Conventioneer

http://animeconvega.wetpaint.com/page/Con+Review+and+Rating+%27Anime+Vegas+2010%27

Eerie Butterfly
09-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Although I was only able to attend for a short amount of time, what I did see wasn't that great.

+was able to go, even if it was for 2 hours
+was able to see the who asked you panel

- they (who asked you) were only able to do 15 minutes of their show before a staff member, whose name will be with held, (that's right fool, i know your name) told them "5 minutes, kill it" and the reason for that was "I can't go home until you do...you are coming between me and my booze."
- i felt like i was going to be robbed walking from the lobby to where my car was parked. PLEASE choose a safer place for the con!!!!

personally, i'm leaning more to attend lvsc than going to av next year, but it all depends on whose running the con and if it looks like it's going to improve.

Asa Gohan
09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
TLDR: Con great, venue sucked. pretty much all of the problems with this con stemmed from the fact that this venue was not layed out well for a medium sized anime convention.

@Chapstick that explains alot. like a whole lot. I was one of the people on the Gundam Panel.

ScarletRhapsody
09-14-2010, 11:46 PM
A much more eloquent final review than the bullets I've listed:
http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/traveling/av2010/final_v.htm

And a second opinion from one of my staff writers:
http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/traveling/av2010/final_j.htm

Thowra
09-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I had alot of fun at Anime Vegas. Its so nice to run into the same people every year.

Scienceman300
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Its was my first time going to Anime Vegas and i have to say i was very disappointed.

Pros: Awesome Guests of Honors and Dealer's hall
Cons: Very confused about where things were, staff was rude and hadn't a clue of when certain things were, venue was not great for the con and a lot of people agree with me.

REGISTRATION-Some people can only come to con for maybe a day or two so i suggest that the con make prices for one or two day badges because it was ridiculous to pay all that money for a badge when some people can't go for all 3 days