PDA

View Full Version : The Creatine Thread

Brand
09-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey everyone. So while I've read up on the pros and cons about taking creatine I would like user opinions about the myths and facts and any of the negatives of taking it. My biggest concern is the fact that if you stop taking it for 2 months and let it run out of your system you will lose some of the mass and the strength you gained while on it. I didn't want to start taking it only to have to take it forever.

So my main question is; about how much mass and strength do you lose after quitting creatine. If you keep more than you lose then sure its worth taking for a while.

distantarray
09-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey everyone. So while I've read up on the pros and cons about taking creatine I would like user opinions about the myths and facts and any of the negatives of taking it. My biggest concern is the fact that if you stop taking it for 2 months and let it run out of your system you will lose some of the mass and the strength you gained while on it. I didn't want to start taking it only to have to take it forever.

So my main question is; about how much mass and strength do you lose after quitting creatine. If you keep more than you lose then sure its worth taking for a while.

people are idiots I swear when it comes to myths. Creatine helps your muscles hold more water and this will increase strength and help with muscle recovery. Personally I gained 10 pounds while on creatine in 1 week, but that's water weight, I accept that and that's fine, when you get off creatine your body loses WATER WEIGHT.

Also creatine is supposed to be cycled meaning take 4-5 weeks then take a month off etc. Excessive creatine levels can be hard on your liver but if your healthy and live a good life style you shouldn't have any problems. Although you can use Milk Thistle for liver support.

You will have noticable strength gains on creatine, and you'll still have strength gains off of it, but since strength and reps go down slightly after your off of it people often think they lost everything. Say on creatine you up 15 pounds on your bench in 1 month, off it you'll still be able to do atleast 10, but since they went down a little people think oh i lost it all.

Creatine wouldn't be such a widely used supplement if you lose all your gains once your off of it. Also it takes 1-2 weeks for it to completely flush out of your system, not 2 months =)

My last cycle gain 10 pounds on, lost 5 pounds off go figure. My body fat didn't really change much either so that's the strange part about it, I doubt I gained 5pounds of muscle in a few weeks but I'm trying to be realistic and modest, although visually I notice a lot of change.

Brand
09-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Hmm. I read that it took 2 months for a full flush. Anyway, I didn't think the loss was complete, but I wanted to know roughly how much.

I also read to keep off caffeine while taking creatine, what are your thoughts on it?

SamuriSmurfX
09-09-2010, 06:08 PM
If you can, sure. But there are a number of other supplements out there that contain a caffeine like substance, as well, I like energy drinks (lo-carb Monster) ... it's my one vice. And I haven't had any ill effects by combining the two.

Again, some of the pre-workout things others take have heavy caffeine loads in them as well.

Brand
09-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I didn't read that having caffeine with creatine had any adverse effects but had something to do with lowering torque, limiting the effectiveness of the creatine.

distantarray
09-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I didn't read that having caffeine with creatine had any adverse effects but had something to do with lowering torque, limiting the effectiveness of the creatine.

personally never read anything on that, but 2months for creatine levels to go back to normal is a far stretch imo, people usually notice weight loss as soon as 4-5 days usually.

Also there's plenty of pre-workouts like one of my favorite muscle marinade which has 6g of creatine in it, and some caffeine so I wouldn't think it's something really to avoid. Caffeine is a vaso-constrictor which shrinks blood vessels so since creatine is meant to make it fuller I guess the arguement is there, but samething with nitric oxide and caffeine but in the end it's in there cause there's more pros than cons I'd think. Regardless I'm not going to stop drinking coffee or stop taking creatine if I want, personally I don't like creatine much cause it makes me bloat, but the strength gains are definitely there.

bkyoung
09-13-2010, 08:47 PM
honestly ive been on it for 2 weeks and have only noticed that i get out like 1 extra rep then before and thats prolly mental

distantarray
09-14-2010, 03:20 AM
honestly ive been on it for 2 weeks and have only noticed that i get out like 1 extra rep then before and thats prolly mental

It reacts differently for many people, if you have a lot of red meats in your diet your creatine levels are probably pretty high, 1 extra rep or not hard to tell unless you really work with a spotter to push the last few reps in, also not just strength but recovery time should go down. When I'm off of it I notice I'm sore for a day or two longer on average after really hitting the gym hard.

bkyoung
09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
It reacts differently for many people, if you have a lot of red meats in your diet your creatine levels are probably pretty high, 1 extra rep or not hard to tell unless you really work with a spotter to push the last few reps in, also not just strength but recovery time should go down. When I'm off of it I notice I'm sore for a day or two longer on average after really hitting the gym hard.

im currntly on the adkins so ive been eating a hella lot of meat. I take 3 tabs in the morining 2 at lunch and 2 after a workout. the brand i use is Optimum Nutrition's Creatine 2500 Caps. i might not be taking them right some kid told me im supposed to be taking them for three days and lay off for the rest of the week. But im not sure so i just take them mon-thurs and lay off fri-sun. btw. whats your stance on tren i was pondering on buying some with some estrogen blocker.

bkyoung
09-14-2010, 10:46 PM

hmm that sucks last 2 times i took it i flushed it down with a cuppa joe

PhDPepper
09-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I have a noticable difference in energy when i'm on creatine but i also don't really eat a lot of red meat in my diet, so i'm pretty sure its a major reason why. I think i can gain up to 10lbs during the loading period, lol, and theirs no way thats muscle, has to be water weight.