PDA

View Full Version : Locations in Arizona?

Harra Arial
09-10-2010, 02:55 PM
For all of you lovely people in Arizona, what are some of the locations you would recommend?

I specifically live in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, but I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions from everyone else. Share your locations?

Kitsoru
09-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't live in AZ but my mom does and we drive around looking for photo locations sometimes.

Depending on your costume theme, I guess. For outdoor/mountain/desert landscapes there's of course the Botanical Gardens as well as Papago Butte off of McDowell. I've been meaning to get my butt there to take pictures but my costumes get hot really fast and I'm only usually in the area in the summer, so I haven't managed it yet lol.

My mom also recommends the Mesa Arts Center, she says there's a lot of cool space-agey backdrops around there.

Downtown Phoenix always seemed to me like a good area for urban shots without the annoyance of crowding you get in cities like New York or Chicago; the downtown area is rarely crowded at certain points of the day, especially when there's no D-Backs or Suns games going on, but it still has some good backdrops to give you an 'urban enough' feel, which I'm sure you could get creative enough with to make it work.

cheerlubber
10-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Yeah, it depends on what kind of look you're going for. There's also Usery Park if you want a desert-y theme. There's a reception hall by my house in Mesa called Lavendar & Old Lace that has a lot of cute stuff in the back. White gazebos, dove cage, white wrought-iron benches, etc. Is there a name for that kind of style? Edwardian? I don't really know.

Also, if you want western, there's Rock n' Roll Ranch in Gilbert that has some good old-looking settings. Yes, Mesa Arts Center is always an option, although I personally think it's a little overused for photos, but I guess not for cosplaying. xD Downtown Gilbert is also old-timey. I don't go much into Phoenix so I don't know much, but I've seen pretty cool local pics in front of dilapidated buildings and tunnels and graffiti, etc. You just have to drive around, I guess. -shrug-

Orrr, if you want a really cool other-worldly setting and don't mind driving a lot, visit Sunset Crater near Flagstaff. The lava flows there are really rad. They'd make for good "off-planet" or "destruction" pics, I think. And while you're up there, check out the lava tubes/tunnels too, just because they're fun. c:

If you live in Scottsdale, shouldn't there be a lot of fancy schmancy houses and settings there? It is Scottsdale, after all...

Kitsoru
10-06-2010, 09:24 AM
If you live in Scottsdale, shouldn't there be a lot of fancy schmancy houses and settings there? It is Scottsdale, after all...

LOL you'd think so but it's mostly just... housing developments... the GOOD old houses in Ol Scottsdale (which are only from say the 40's or so and don't really work as 'period' unless you're specifically going for like, post-WW2) are all private property anyway, and then a lot of the nicer areas (like the Biltmore and other nice, landscaped resorts) I doubt you could get away with hanging around without security coming around.

Actually, I DO know there's a Japanese Friendship Garden in Phoenix SOMEWHERE, but every time I try to go, it's closed ;; I think it's somewhere near Samurai Comics? But I might be wrong.

cheerlubber
10-08-2010, 03:56 AM
:0 Japanese Friendship Garden sounds neat. That reminds me, there's also the Chinese Cultural Center in Phoenix. It's been years since I've been there, but I remember them having a few little garden areas. It's somewhere off the 202...I just drove by it the other day but I don't remember which exit. :\

I was just asking my sister for locations and she apparently has a photographer friend who is working on making an app where you can search for photo locations. She's supposed to have a blog so maybe she'd post some locations on it, but I dunno, I'll need to ask my sister what it is.

Feawen
10-11-2010, 05:38 PM
The friendship gardens are beautiful, and if you ask and schedule ahead with them have always been really great with cosplayers doing photoshoots there. The sand dunes outside Yuma are absolutley amazing for anything desert related, its straight sand for miles and miles. I've been planing a day long photoshoot there for several costumes, Rikku, Gaara and Syaoran. The asu tempe campus has some fun places as well, some of the science buildings hav an amazing modern industrial look to them, while old main has been used for several steampunk shoots latley. There are loads of places really, depending on what look you are going for.

Kitsoru
10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
The friendship gardens are beautiful, and if you ask and schedule ahead with them have always been really great with cosplayers doing photoshoots there. The sand dunes outside Yuma are absolutley amazing for anything desert related, its straight sand for miles and miles.

Really? Do you know if they're closed for any particular seasons or is it possible to call ahead any time of the year?

Oh man, I LOVE the sand dunes, but they're such a pain in the ass to get to >.>