PDA

View Full Version : Dress Design inspired by...

astrya02
09-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey everyone!

So I have this dress I really want to make, and I've sketched it out and figured out how it's going to be done, and it's completely original except for the bodice of the dress which was inspired by Fran's end game dress from Final Fantasy. I would upload a scan of the design for you to see but my scanner has quit on me... However, I will upload a picture of the dress it's inspired from!

That's the bodice of the dress. I'm excluding the sleeves Fran has, making it a strapless gown. The white part of the dress will end a few inches above my knees, but the black will keep going to my ankles. I'll be wearing combat boots with it and black socks that go just above the boots, and fingerless ballroom gloves. I'm also going to be making wings that are going to be spiky and bat-like (if I can find I good reference pic of the wings I'm making, I'll post it!).

Accessories-wise, I'll be wearing silver bangles over the gloves and a velvet choker with a crystal charm.

As you can probably tell, it's not going to be a Fran cosplay, but an original one inspired by the dress. However, I was wondering if that was okay? I'm not stealing the costume, I'm just inspired by it!

Also, tell me if it seems like a good idea. I've been fixated on this idea for a couple months now and I'd really like to do it!

Thanks a lot!
astrya02

Mehdia
09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I think pulling inspiration from it is fine. Especially since you are acknowledging that you did get inspiration from the outfit. The only thing I think I would change is the shoes. If you are doing something that dressy, I really wouldn't put combat boots with it. If you want boots, I would go with something with heels and maybe laced up, but that's completely up to you.

astrya02
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I was also thinking of maybe using these really strappy heels I have, which are luckily high enough to give off an air of class and low enough not to kill myself while walking :) But it all depends on which one looks better. I always come up with stuff in my head that looks better than it does when I actually try it on, so I'll just have to see :)

Thanks a lot!! I thought that stating the "inspired by" part might help :)

Mehdia
09-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I do the same, come up with stuff in my head that doesn't always work when put into practice. The best thing to do would be to get the outfit done and then decide what shoes you like.

But no problem. Inspiration comes from everywhere, and as long as you acknowledge that, no one SHOULD have a problem with it.

astrya02
09-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Awesome :) My thoughts exactly!

Also, the gloves are these ones:

http://clockworkcouture.com/?q=node/514

They're too nice to chop the fingers off for "fingerless" gloves, but I always find that gloves don't fit me right in the fingers, since mine are unusually small... lol

And as for the wings, if I decide on using them (since I keep changing my mind...) would look like this sort of:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs8/i/2005/273/9/6/Black_Wings_by_KittenBaby.jpg

Although they'd be more vertically oriented.

However I'm starting to think I shouldn't use the wings, just because the straps would be highly visible since I'll be wearing a strapless dress! What do you think??

Mehdia
09-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I actually have those gloves! But I got mine from the gentlemansemporium.com and they were cheaper. Here's a direct link: http://www.ladiesemporium.com/store/002375.php?__utma=1.2282960021545457700.1245437533 .1283647788.1285126130.10&__utmb=1.1.10.1285126130&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1279223801.8.5.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28or ganic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=mens%20victorian%20 fashion&__utmv=-&__utmk=28215484

As for the wings, I would say go without them. You don't want tacky straps showing and then on top of that, it seems a bit over the top. And dare I say, too costumey. Kinda like you were going for that sorta costume look as opposed to just a beautiful outfit.

astrya02
09-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the link!! I'll definitely go for the inexpensive option, being the cheapskate I am :P

So no wings, awesome! Yeah, I was thinking the straps would look tacky and ruin the effect of the dress, since I'm kinda trying to go for a dressier gown look.

Also, I have some jewelry that I'd like to wear with it that I described before. Luckily I own all of the accessories I want to use, so there'll be no problems there!

The pictures are on my profile, if you'd like to see them. I need an opinion on which kind of bangles/bracelets to use! I was thinking of having the three silver bangles on each wrist over the gloves, since it seems more elegant than the other options I have and plus they contrast the gloves!

astrya02
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Heh... the picture files are too big to upload, so I'll do that later! lol

Mehdia
09-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Whenever you get them up, I will totally check them out and give my opinion! I love helping people with original costumes/clothing designs^^

astrya02
10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
After how long, the jewelry pictures are finally uploaded. I ended up photoshopping them into one file so that you'd be able to see them all side by side :)

I can't wait to hear your opinion!

And as soon as I find a decent scanner that isn't my own (which doesn't even work) I will upload a pic of my design sketch! :)

Mehdia
10-26-2010, 08:35 PM
I love the pieces in the bottom right corner. I would actually wear the one on the black cord as a choker and wear the other long. As for the bracelets, I would go with one of the two you have on the right. The others in the top left corner look a bit bulky to put over the gloves with the buttons on them. That, or go without bracelets and wear a really pretty ring over the gloves.

astrya02
10-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I was also thinking of going with a ring! I don't have any that are overly decorative, but I have two that are thicker with intricate designs on them. But if I went with a ring, I think one with a bigger stone or piece on it would be better.

As for the bracelets, after much thought, I decided I liked the ones on the bottom right corner best, mostly because they would contrast with the gloves.

I still have yet to buy the gloves, but I'm certainly going to soon. I keep altering the hem of the dress because I can't decide whether the white part should be shorter or longer... Again, I'll have the sketch of it up soon! Ahhhh so many choices!

astrya02
03-16-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/brass-knuckle-spectator-pumps/

these are a pair of shoes I just found that might go well. What do you think?

Mehdia
03-17-2011, 01:47 AM
While those shoes are awesome, I love a good gangster era inspired pair, they don't totally feel like Fran. I would honestly look for a killer pair of open-toed or peep-toed heels that look elegant, sexy, and badass all at the same time. It fits the feel of being inspired by her look more in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

astrya02
03-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm still trying to decide whether to go more Fran-like or more badass
I have looked around a few shoe stores and found some that are more elegant and just the right height for me to walk in, and I'm thinking of going that way only because I don't trust buying shoes on the internet too much, since my size ranges from 7-8.5.

Mehdia
03-20-2011, 07:42 PM
To me, Fran and badass go hand in hand. To me, she's one of the most badass chicks in the history of FF games.

But I do think a more elegant style with a tall heel will be best. It's just more fitting to your overall look.

astrya02
03-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Well, I've counted my budget for this and I've decided that the dress will have to be made with things that I already have unless I have to find something specific.

I'm planning on modifying a black peasant skirt if I can find one. I know I have a brown one, so if my mum never wants to wear it again, I might dye that and use it.

As for the bodice, some sort of white tube top, preferably a corset if I have the money, with black parts sewn on like in the reference picture. Hopefully I can find a material similar to that of the peasant skirt for the black part of the bodice, in order for the fabric to be uniform.

I have a pair of black and strappy wedge heels, I'll post a picture of them on my profile when I get the chance. If I can find inexpensive white shoes with black detailing and a taller heel, I might use those.

My scanner refuses to cooperate with me, so I still can't post the design sketches. Maybe I'll take a picture and post that too!

In any case, it's time to start sewing!! :D