PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss help, might as well discuss it

BountyBebopLuva
10-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Well, I have been out and about and decided perhaps everyone could share not only weight loss help but support. Coming from a family where weight is a big issue I fear to fall into the same void in which my parents and siblings have.

Please feel free to share your feelings, suggestions, and thoughts on this subject. I know from experiance that losing weight is hard, right now I'm trying to lose the last ten pounds that refuse to come off.

And anyone who would like to talk to me privately just private message me or e-mail me at: sorry_mister@hotmail.com. I'm a very good listener. ^^

~Melanie

Koumori
10-02-2003, 03:16 PM
There have been a number of threads on this topic, most notably http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5628&highlight=weight+loss

SoulCrash
10-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Losing like 5 pounds in three or two days and keeping it off was the craziest thing I ever did. Why? Cause it was to wrestle in the 145 ibs weight class for the regional tournament. What I did was wear like 20 pounds worth of sweaters, 15 pounds worth of sweatpants, run for like an hour, and then wrestle for three hours wearing the 35 pound suit. And after wrestling (practice), walking like almost 3/4 of a mile home was hell, even it was like 10 dergees outside. Even what I can eat sucks, all I ate for those three days were ONE MEAL of bread and water. By the time that weight-ins start, I made weight and started to cram anything I could one hour before my match.

So in conclusion, losing weight can have it's advantages, and disvantages. Just make sure you're doing it right.. That's all I can say...

BountyBebopLuva
10-02-2003, 04:31 PM
There have been a number of threads on this topic, most notably http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5628&highlight=weight+loss

Well, once again a good idea of mine shot down.. very depressing.

KatieAnn
10-02-2003, 10:20 PM
if you want to diet safely and get results in 2 weeks go on the south beach diet. my whole family is on it not only because it gets you to your right weight but it makes you feel great and energized. i've never felt better. you limit yourself to 40 grams of carbs a day. no sugar, use splenda or the fake shit only, after that you graduate to the 2nd then 3rd level. its great and easy.

Hitomi chan
10-02-2003, 10:54 PM
well I've had a weight problem about three years ago. Is normal in the adolescents of my family to gain weight during puberty, the problem for me was that I didn't lose it, I had to start a diet. The only thing I did was to stop eating candies, and carbohidrates (bread, pasta), and start drinking litters and litters of pure water (gallons in USA :p), and a lot of vegetables. I lose about 2 pounds per month, it was slow but that's a guarantee that you're not gaining that weight again.

BountyBebopLuva
10-03-2003, 01:34 AM
Thank you so very much for the pointers. ^^

matikin9
10-03-2003, 06:59 AM
what is the south beach diet? i've seen ads for it everywhere!

As for me, i think I was at my best weight in my freshman year of HS when I was in tennis & track (not simultaneously). After that, I didn't really exercise much and my freshman year of college REALLY didn't help. My parents are horrible about it...I'm not really overly fat or anything but my parents make a big deal about it. Like, my mom makes really disgusted faces and comments about stuff in a very demeaning way, grrrrrr >_< My dad likes to crack jokes at me about it, which totally doesn't help because my younger brother picks it up and starts to make mean jokes too. I try to tell them that I really don't appreciate it and that I'm under a lot of stress in college, but they don't take me seriously. They just say that I shouldn't eat so much and that I'd look so much prettier if I lost some weight. O_o Even one of my uncles offered to "reward" me ten bucks for every pound I lose. blehhhh, it's so demeaning and is bad for my self-esteem. I try not to let it get to me, but i can tell it does.

The only thing I can say to do is, as others said, eat fewer carbs (even though pasta-roni and ramen are *the easiest things to make ever), drink lots of water, and make it a regular habit to make yourself physically tired working out. Just not eating is a really bad way to lose weight...though I can honestly say that the one time that happened to me, and it was the quickest and most visible way i lost weight. Basically, I was so busy with school and other random stuff...i didn't have time to eat breakfast, i'd eat lunch, and then when I came home i'd be busy doing stuff until late into the night and actually forget to eat dinner. Sometimes I'd have a little bite to eat at like 11pm or something, it was mostly just small lunch, small dinner, very little sleep, lots of studying. At that time I didn't really feel like eating either, i'd just forget - i wasn't really meaning to miss all my meals...makes me really think it's hormonal or something (like i know if i'm near my period, i feel like munching a lot). Of course, when I went home, everyone commented about how i looked skinnier and didn't care *why* i looked skinnier. ::sigh::

-mati

Miaka No Baka
10-03-2003, 02:07 PM
you should really see a doctor before doing any serious weight loss plans, because while you think you need to lose like 10 pounds, they could just be "vanity" pounds meaning you might be at the proper weight right now for your body type a nd if you lose any more you might cause yourself more harm then good.

With any weight loss though if you lose more than 2 or 3 pounds a week you aren't doing it right. Every now and then a 5 pound loss is ok, but if week after week you lose 5 pounds you're at a greater risk of developing serious diseases and illnesses like diabetes etc... That's why seeing a dr is important. Don't expect it to just drop instantly, and don't be discouraged if it takes you 2 or 3 months to even drop those 10 pounds. Do your best to eat well balanced meals, 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day, drink at least 6 glasses of water (8 oz glasses) limit sugar intake, and make sure you are eating 2 servings of dairy daily as it'll help aid in weight loss. There are several programs out there to help one lose weight, but for a simple 10 pounds you might just be better off taking things into your own hands because most of those programs are made for people who have more than 10 pounds to lose.

I've also found if you stop drinking soda you'll greatly find the weight coming off a lot easier. I've lost 15 pounds already and i haven't had to do any excersise (out of normal daily walking around at a store or whatnot) and i've kept it off i think it's mainly due to me giving up soda for good ^_^; I don't even drink the diet stuff either. I mainly drink water and sometimes kool-aid that i make using splenda so it's 0 calories per glass.

Remember this too: portion size is very important. Most restaurants give you enough food to feed 2-3 people per plate although it doesn't look like it cause we're used to seeing such large portions. Also remember if you drink juices (while good for you) they also have calories and you should take into consideration how many extra calories you are drinking daily and adjust the amount of calories you eat accordingly. If you drink a glass of oj, it's like an extra 200 calories and if you don't realize that and eat a 2500 calorie day, you actually had 2700 calories. so yeah ^_^ just look at everything that you do daily and make adjustments accordingly.

Also never totally give up any sort of food cause you may find yourself binging on it later. It's ok every now and then to reward yourself with that "forbidden" food just do it in moderation.

Miaka no Baka

Odango Atama
10-03-2003, 02:22 PM
As always, before starting ANY diet/exercise program you ought to consult your doctor first. That said...

The South Beach diet is essentially the Atkins diet slightly modified. Since the Atkins diet was first (Atkins himself had been following and recommending it to his patients since the sixties or seventies I believe), naturally all the low-carb diets that have come out within the last five years or so resemble it. I suggest Atkins because it has been around the longest and currently has the most research reports available. (Plus I follow it, lol)

All you need to start Atkins is his "New Diet Revolution" book. It was the first book he wrote about the diet and it answers just about all yuor questions you may have about it. It's the small paperback one that's about 400-500 pages long - not the huge, expensive hardcover books. Atkins begins with low carbs coming MOSTLY from vegetables such as salad veggies and other veggies such as broccoli for 14 days at least. That's induction. After, you very gradually increase your carb intake by about 5 grams per week or so. As long as you count the carbs, you should be fine. Obviously this is just a very basic run down, so you will need to refer to the book or the website for more information as well as lists of foods and how many carbs they have per serving. Plus, taking a multivitamin daily (such as regualr Centrum) is essential.

IMPORTANT - I don't know much about Atkins and diabetics, so as I mentioned before, seeing your doctor before starting any diet regime is very necessary.

I've been following the Atkins diet for a month and a half and I've lost 18 pounds so far. Truthfully, I do cheat (bad!) by having a diet soda here, a small piece of cookie there. You really shouldn't cheat though, seriously. It defeats the purpose and I've gotten better about it in the last three weeks. I don't exercise regularly, which is alo terrible. The most exercise I get is walking all over campus to and from work and to class and stuff. I have A LOT more energy - I just shoot out of bed at 5am without any problems at all. I suggest Atkins because I feel awesome doing it, but remember that not everything works the same for everyone. I hope this helped and good luck!

EDIT**

Miaka No Baka - I think it's the opposite for diabetes. If you're clinically obese, you are at a very high risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Statistics these days say that in ten years I think it was (could be wrong), diabetes will be the number one killer in the country due to the high percentage (66%!) of people who are considered to be clinically obese. I just had a meeting with my doctor yesterday, so if I understood him correctly, I think this is correct. Losing 5 pounds a week is just plain dangerous, but it doesn't have anything to do wtih diabetes - it introduces a host of other health issues that I am not positive of, but I know aren't any good. I will have to check that out and get back with the info.

Miaka No Baka
10-03-2003, 02:47 PM
i think it goes both ways with diabetes though. but i could be wrong. I know of course if you are seriously obese you do have an even greater chance at getting diabetes. I think it said something like that in my weight watcher book about if you lose weight too fast. I could be mistaken.

Although about the atkins diet i've heard bad things about it, how it's worse for you to be eating soo much meat, like cholesterol levels and the like. Also when you go off the atkins diet you tend to gain it back a lot faster.

In general i've heard "diets" are very bad, what you really need to do is a "lifestyle change" as in permenently change the way you eat, the way you look at food etc... it's the only true way you can keep the weight off forever. Afterall most people who "diet" tend to gain it back after they stop dieting because if you keep up the diet, you'll lose more than you really need to.

Miaka no Baka

Koumori
10-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Okay. I've lost over 50 pounds and kept it off for almost 5 years, so let me just share what little bits of very important advice on this topic I have learned:

1) "Diets" don't work. You can't expect to change your eating habits temporarily and experience a permanent result. Rather than get into a "diet" mindset, you need to think about changing your health habits for LIFE. I don't know how many people are prepared to follow the Atkins plan forever, and there haven't been many studies done to tell one way or the other, but I doubt that many people will be able or willing to stick with eating that way for the rest of their lives.

2) The way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you take in. That's it. That is the only way. Calories in < calories out.

3) Carbs vs. proteins doesn't really matter. Some plans cut out one, some cut out the other, but what it all amounts to is reducing calories. Some people prefer not to eat carbs because processed carbs especially tend to have more calories and fewer nutrients, but there's nothing bad about carbs per se.

4) You must exercise. Exercise burns calories, keeps your heart and lungs healthy, and even more importantly, helps build muscle that will burn more calories even at rest!

5) You will be much more successful if you are in a supervised program or a group. Weight Watchers did it for me - having the support of a group, the supervision of the leaders, and the accountability of having to weigh in every week. I'm trying to lose a few more pounds now on my own, and it is incredibly difficult since I don't feel like I have anybody to answer to if I eat a few extra cookies. If you don't want to try Weight Watchers, at least talk to your doctor. S/he can help give you some guidelines to start with, and possibly help you develop an eating plan; if not, ask if they can refer you to a dietitian.

Done correctly, weight loss is great. Done wrong, you can screw yourself up for life. Your health is worth the extra effort of getting in touch with a professional.

Odango Atama
10-03-2003, 03:07 PM
i think it goes both ways with diabetes though. but i could be wrong. I know of course if you are seriously obese you do have an even greater chance at getting diabetes. I think it said something like that in my weight watcher book about if you lose weight too fast. I could be mistaken.

Although about the atkins diet i've heard bad things about it, how it's worse for you to be eating soo much meat, like cholesterol levels and the like. Also when you go off the atkins diet you tend to gain it back a lot faster.

In general i've heard "diets" are very bad, what you really need to do is a "lifestyle change" as in permenently change the way you eat, the way you look at food etc... it's the only true way you can keep the weight off forever. Afterall most people who "diet" tend to gain it back after they stop dieting because if you keep up the diet, you'll lose more than you really need to.

Miaka no Baka

It's true, diets are no good. Atkins tries to introduce you to a new way of eating for the rest of your life, essentially. That is what he repeats over and over in his book anyhow. I intend on following this for the rest of my life ^_^

I asked my doctor several questions about the Atkins diet yesterday, and he said that eating meat is not bad at all. I think some people who were misinformed started the idea that all you eat on Atkins is red meat, which isn't true at all. During induction for example, you can have two eggs done any way you want without milk and a slice of low carb toast with butter plus some ham or sausage. That's not too bad, right? For lunch, I usually ate salads made from raw baby spinach with some cheddar cheese and solid white albaore tuna topped with a dressing I made myself from red wine vinegar, olive oil, and spices. Some might think salad = rabbit food, but when you add things like tuna and eggs and cheese, it becomes quite filling. Plus, on Atkins you don't have to count calories (but you can't gorge either!!!) so you eat until you're satisfied (not till you're full). For dinner, I would eat a piece of chicken breast, a cup of broccoli with cheese sauce, and in the very beginning I would follow it up with an Atkins shake because I was still craving. However, since being on this diet, I've noticed my appetite has decreased significantly, thus making it easier for me to weight out the proper portions.

Naturally, protein is a large part of Atkins, but you don't have to eat just red meat. There is also poultry, nuts, and fish to be had, plus a variety of vegetables. Eventually, after 14 days of induction, you can add in things like strawberries and cantaloupe (in moderation of course). As I said before, this is a very small sampling of what you eat on Atkins, but I hope people get the idea of what kind of eating habits the program is supposed to help you develop. Induction is definitely vey hard, and while Atkins doesn't really put a limit on how much meat you eat, it doesn't give you license to gorge or become an exclusive carnivore. I think it's important to remember everything in moderation, you know? And if you can get past those first two weeks, then it's such smooth sailing after that you tend to forget you're on a program to eat healthier. So to me, it's not really a diet since it's something that you can safely follow (according to my doctor, dietician, and Atkins himself) for the rest of your life ^_^

And about cholesterol...

What you said can be true. On Atkins, eating lots of red meat and butter and oil can be hazardous, especially if your cholesterol is high to begin with and you don't exercise outside of regualr daily activity. Most people lower their cholesterol while following Atkins, but here are some tips if you're concerned: I recommend trying to stick with chicken, pork, and seafood mostly and if you do like red meat than make sure it's lean red meat. Trim off the fat even, despite the fact that Atkins may say fat is okay. It is and it isn't, but I don't want to sound like a biochem professor, plus it will make my post way too long >.< Butter, oil, naturally fatty foods and the like are fine in moderation. Everything in moderation is the key, as is eating until you feel satisfied.

Serria
10-03-2003, 05:38 PM
I've been thinking about Atkin's dieting. I'm not really overweight or anything, but I could afford to loose a bit and get into healthier eating patterns anyway. Do you think fourteen is too young to start it?

Yeah... I wish I could do the "no-pop" thing. But I never was a pop drinker. I just never liked the taste. ;) Think if I drank pop for a week then stopped I'd lose weight?

Evinrude
10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Lost 30 lbs in 6 months..... all I did was improve my diet (less soda, less fast food, more veggies) and started a pretty tame exercise program of increasing the amount I walk per day (a pedometer makes this easy) and just generally being more active. (I still don't jog, I'm not that crazy. :))

The MasterMind
10-03-2003, 09:19 PM
i used to be kinda fat, but now i think i'm in a good looking shape. i still eat crap and i don't know why i haven't really gained any inches. but recently i've been hitting the weight room and fitness center at my school and i lift weights and jog every day. when you start to do that daily you actually look forward to doing it throughout the day. wich is a good thing. but what i'm doing is different than what you're doing. i'm trying to gain tons of muscle. but you could do light weight training and tone yourself up wich will solve the extra hanging skin you might aquire after losing some weight.

Hotaru's Sister
10-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Went and posted on the other weightloss thread but this one seems to be more active so I'll crosspost here.

I'm glad this thread popped back up since I've been trying to lose weight (for myseleft but cosplay is a motivation) and I don't know anyone who needs to lose.

I've never really been skinny but in high school I put on alot of weight (being in nursing does that to you). Then after high school I was no longer walking 2 miles a day to school so I put on even more weight. I always told myself it was fine, that's I'd lose eventually. I was still undere 200 afterall. Then I got a job at a doctors office and used the medical scale which put my weight way hgigher. I went and bought a new house scale and it turned out my old scale was 10 pounds off. Then, where I work patients constantly being us food as gifts so I gained more weight and peaked at 216 (I'm 5'4"). Finally at the new year I decided to seriously lose weight. About 4 months later I actually put that plan into action I started using our stationary bike regularly and after about a month I started losing a little weight each week and I'd lost 11 pounds before Otakon, then i hit a plateau. Not long after Otakon we (me, sis, bf) decided to try the South Beach Diet. I lost another 11 pounds in the first two weeks and have continued to slowly lose more weight. I have slipped up these past couple of weeks though so I could use some motivation. I'm 193 now so I have at least another 50 to go.

Hotaru
10-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Yep, we've all been on the South Beach Diet for awhile now. Me and the dude were working all day for the first phase of the SBD (it's two weeks long). We were preparing a room, painting, cleaning etc, so we were getting a lot of exercise then. So we lost weight pretty quickly.

During the first week, I was really tired *a lot*. I don't know if it was sugar withdrawl or what, because i used to consume so much sugar...but it really sucked. It did go away after a few days, thankfully, but I did get sick of chicken and salad non-stop for two weeks.

Sugarfree jell-o was like...divine when you've had 0 sugar for the past week. We're on the less restrictive phase now but have been really busy, so there wasn't time for exercise at all. But, when i look back at how i used to be, and how i am now, i'm shocked.

Coca Cola is too sweet for me. Sugar free syrup with wheat french toast is the greatest thing, along with oatmeal and cinnamon. Apples with peanut butter is the greatest snack. ...i eat asparagus...!

i'm sure that eating this way, i'll be able to lose those twenty pounds for otakon. i've got...how many...like ten months? i wanna play ddr so i get some exercise in but the stupid family is always around so we dont' get time.

for me, the SBD was more of a life style changer. I ate way too much candy, and was always feeling really sick. Since we did this together, i managed to *not* give it and have the ice cream from the truck conviniently parked right outside of home depot. we went there like five times a week...so hard...

Shauna
10-04-2003, 08:00 PM
My advice is that try to keep it slow. Don't rush your weight loss, give it time. I had lost around 30 pounds in 4 months my freshman year and 25 pounds in 3 months my sophmore year. It was the stupidest thing I've ever done. I would frequently skip breakfast and lunch, and my average caloric intake was about 750-800 a day. It was BAD!
Granted, I did get really quick results but I was sick the whole time. I was always tired, I had dizzy spells, and sometimes I'd pass out. Occasionally I would shake like crazy, I think it was from not having enough sugar. I didn't get diabetes from it, but I wouldn't risk it. It's not worth it. I'd much rather lose weight at a slow pace than be miserable. Besides, if you lose weight quickly you're more prone to gaining it back.

I agree that it's best to see a doctor about losing weight. They'll know what's best.

Scortia
10-04-2003, 09:10 PM
The South Beach Diet... that diet sounds like one of the best diets in a while... aside from the fact that the change from phase one to phase two really slows down your weight loss and without a multi-vitamin during Phase 1, you can get a deficincy. I attempted doing Phase 1 three times now and have just given up on it. If you don't eat meat, without grains there is no neutral food to really keep my stomach stable... with only soy and nuts and beans, my stomach would be a total mess and I'd be too weak to exercise after three days. Oh well... I'm sorta sticking to a multiple mini-meal, small amounts of grains per each meal plan. Breads are my weakness... even if they're wholegrains they can put on weight if you overeat. ;-;

JacksUsername
10-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Okay. I've lost over 50 pounds and kept it off for almost 5 years, so let me just share what little bits of very important advice on this topic I have learned:

1) "Diets" don't work. You can't expect to change your eating habits temporarily and experience a permanent result. Rather than get into a "diet" mindset, you need to think about changing your health habits for LIFE. I don't know how many people are prepared to follow the Atkins plan forever, and there haven't been many studies done to tell one way or the other, but I doubt that many people will be able or willing to stick with eating that way for the rest of their lives.

2) The way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you take in. That's it. That is the only way. Calories in < calories out.

3) Carbs vs. proteins doesn't really matter. Some plans cut out one, some cut out the other, but what it all amounts to is reducing calories. Some people prefer not to eat carbs because processed carbs especially tend to have more calories and fewer nutrients, but there's nothing bad about carbs per se.

4) You must exercise. Exercise burns calories, keeps your heart and lungs healthy, and even more importantly, helps build muscle that will burn more calories even at rest!

5) You will be much more successful if you are in a supervised program or a group. Weight Watchers did it for me - having the support of a group, the supervision of the leaders, and the accountability of having to weigh in every week. I'm trying to lose a few more pounds now on my own, and it is incredibly difficult since I don't feel like I have anybody to answer to if I eat a few extra cookies. If you don't want to try Weight Watchers, at least talk to your doctor. S/he can help give you some guidelines to start with, and possibly help you develop an eating plan; if not, ask if they can refer you to a dietitian.

Done correctly, weight loss is great. Done wrong, you can screw yourself up for life. Your health is worth the extra effort of getting in touch with a professional.

this is the best advice in this thread, and also the safest, healthiest way to go about losing weight. There is no miracle cure, and it takes dedication and lots of lots of patience.

Hotaru's Sister
10-04-2003, 09:52 PM
If you don't eat meat, without grains there is no neutral food to really keep my stomach stable... with only soy and nuts and beans, my stomach would be a total mess and I'd be too weak to exercise after three days.

yeah. Being a vegetarian basically rules out any low carb plans. but chances are you're already doing well eating alot of veggies and stuff. try just cutting back on sweets like candy and soda, and try eating less processed foods like whole wheat bread instead of white, and old fashioned oatmeal instead of instant.