PDA

View Full Version : Taokaka shoe help!

secretsof2113
09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm working on getting a relatively accurate Taokaka cosplay done here for Youmacon in October, which gives me just less than two months to get everything finished. I purchased a pair of black flats that I want to modify into reverse style heels for Tao's shoes. Now, what materials would work for this? I have almost no experience with costume making, and I don't want to make something to see it fall apart during that weekend. I purchased sculpey clay that I was thinking about using to make the heel, but I'm unsure as to what kind of weight it would be able to hold, even if I made them thick enough. Any suggestions or tutorials for shoes would be awesome!

ShadowDrac
09-15-2010, 04:27 PM
I’m not sure how well clay would hold. In my experience, it loves to break. I would cut off the rubber heel of some old boots instead and glue those suckers on to your flats instead, which is what I planned to do in the beginning.

What I’ve started on instead for my Tao includes taking a pair of heeled sandals and wrapping them with styrene. It took some time to get the angle of Tao’s shoes right, but I was satisfied when I did. I hot glued the styrene to the shoe and cut it to the proper shape.

What I plan to do next might seem a little odd, but I’ll explain it. I’m going to leave the heel on and paint the bottom half of it white. The reason for this is so that I still have something to walk on, and the white paint creates the illusion of the heel not being there, because it tends to reflect the tile/carpet that you’re standing on. It’s not unobvious, but it works, and I prefer that than wobbling to death. The rest will be painted black, including the top half of the heel.

Well, I hope that helps, or gives you some idea. I really don’t think that clay would hold well, especially at a con. With all the walking around, I imagine it would break quickly.

whitebeast
09-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Don't use clay! DX Even in huge amounts and all that, it's gonna break or will threaten to break down.

If you should want to go that direction with your shoes, why not resort to constructing wooden clogs akin to the okobo (with reverse heels), only with boot covers sewn/attached/glued to it.

In theory that should work but not quite sure how it's gonna be like to walk in that. I haven't asked my friend who does kitsuke and is attempting a maiko cosplay about it.

nikkiolie
11-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I made mine with craft foam and clear heels. You can kinda see them in this picture http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7316/shoesuw.jpg

Myuu
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Hello, Tao shoes wear'ers ^^

I was wondering - is it extremely uncomfortable to wear Tao shoes (I mean original version) ? I know that it's not the best shoes in the world but how were your legs after long cosplay day o.o?