PDA

View Full Version : Good wool fabric for a cloak?

aniremi
09-12-2010, 12:37 AM
<boring preface>Hello, my name is Ani! I have never cosplayed in my life, but I have sewn a little bit, and soon I would like to start working on my own interpretation of a Princess Zelda costume! Yaaay.

Now, I'm not actually trying to imitate the design of Zelda's costume in any of the games. What I'm aiming for, rather, is a more practically believable costume with recognizable motifs from Zelda's game costume. (Sort of asking myself, what would Zelda be wearing if she really existed?)

</boring preface>

For this costume, I'm going to be making a dark heather grey, full-circle cloak (without a hood) that comes about halfway down the leg, with the Sheikah symbol embroidered on the back. For inspiration, I checked out a webpage with information about the cloak that Lucy wore in the movie "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe," which was the closest to the design I had in mind. (Here's a link; they get to the cloak near the bottom of the page: http://costumes.narniaweb.com/lubluecamp.asp). They said the cloak was made with a woven wool fabric, which sounds good to me. Trouble is, I don't know my fabrics. ^^; Can anyone please tell me what kind of fabric I should be looking for here? Thanks! <3

MadameEvelyn
09-12-2010, 12:42 PM
When I first saw this, I thought you meant like sheep wool, and my eyes boggled...

Have you thought of maybe wool broadcloth? It's velvety, and would look very regal. It comes in a multitude of colors, and ranges from very inexpensive to about 60-70 dollars.

Looks like this kind of fabric might be what you need, though! Good luck!

aniremi
09-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh, wow, that's exactly what I was picturing. I'll start shopping around. Thanks, MadameEvelyn! <3

CapsuleCorp
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
It depends on what kind of look you're going for specifically. Wool is a fiber, so it can be woven into everything from a very thin tropical-weight suiting to a very thick coating or blanket.

If you want thick-ish and fuzzy, try a coating or a worsted wool. I used to make Jedi robes out of worsted gabardine all the time. If you want something thinner, more polished, more regal, and more flowy, then a suiting should do fine. Suitings can be all kinds of weights and even have a special weave (like a twill weave) so the best thing to do if you're shopping online is to request swatches and feel the fabric for yourself.

aniremi
11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks, CapsuleCorp! Actually, I'm going to take a trip to my fabric store tomorrow or the next day and see what they've got.

Kelley
11-09-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm not familiar with the Zelda games (I kind of missed that era).

I'm not sure wool would be the right choice, but maybe it is.

Garen
11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
First off, awesomely cool idea, and I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

Wool is, as CapsuleCorp stated, a fibre. It comes from sheep. All of it. Once it's off the sheep, though, there's a lot of different ways to turn it into fabric, resulting in a wide array of weights and textures, so saying "wool" isn't really all that helpful. For a princess-y cloak, I'd probably go with something not super-heavy. Not sure what sort of fabric stores are near you, but most chains don't really have all that much variety as far as wool, and it tends to be rather pricy. You might do better to look online.