PDA

View Full Version : A question about paint.

howdoimakethis
09-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Greetings :) ,

I don't think this topic/thread belongs in this forum topic at all, but this is where I usually post all my stuff and those stuff have been World of Warcraft questions, but, I was just wondering, where can I buy acrylic paint to paint my cosplay props such as swords, etc. I tried looking in the Home Depot website, but I didn't really see anything acrylic paint related if I'm correct and also where can I buy gesso? I have no knowledge about painting or paints, and all these stuff.

Thank you :)

Best Regards.

Shaylyn
09-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Walmart and Michaels both have acrylic paints. Michaels has TONS! I got my gesso at Aarons Bros because it was on sale super cheap :) hope you find what you're looking for!

howdoimakethis
09-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Ah okay, thank you Shaylyn :)

Pocket X
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Keep in mind there are two types of acrylic you can buy at these stores, usually in opposite sides of the store: the tubes and the cheaper squeeze bottles/large containers (aka Artist paints or craft paints).

Depending on your choices for color you either pay the expensive or the cheap price....Usually expensive = tubes and small quantities.

For my prop weapons I used the craft paint for cost but got excellent results with a few more expensive fluid paint finishes. With acrylic I cannot stress this enough--get something to seal your work with matte finish to avoid shiny quality and chipping, etc...Unless you want it to be gloss-like. Acrylic can stick to other objects and chip easily so be careful setting it against certain surfaces until varnished/sealed.

howdoimakethis
09-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Ah I see. By the way, what is a matte finish? Is that different from a gesso? And is chipping where the paint comes off after it has dried?

Thank you Pocket X :)

LalaFTL
09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Matte just means it's not glossy or shiny. Applying a finish to your work will keep the paint from coming off (yup, chipping! comes off in little chunks) and make it look as shiny or not-shiny as you want it.

Gesso is just a primer, which means you use it on a surface to make it ready to paint.

Shaylyn
09-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Gesso can be sanded lightly to make the texture smoother. I don't know if gesso comes in different thicknesses but mine isn't too thick so I apply several coats, sanding every coat or so.

LalaFTL
09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Some gessos are more watery than others, it depends on the brand you get - they all work the same though. I usually use 3-5 coats on anything I use it for and sand each coat, like Shaylyn said.

howdoimakethis
09-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Ah I see. Thank you again Shaylyn and LalaFTL, but what are some good finishes I can put on my painted item to prevent paint from coming off or chipping? Sorry, I have no knowledge on paint or cosplay prop making.