PDA

View Full Version : Workout/Supplement regiment, Serious critique - Need help!

n64314
09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey everyone! Made this thread to discuss some gain/progress problems I've been running into and was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation. I started working out again very intensely after a 6 month break(Not really a break I just got lazy). Sense then I joined the US Air Force and got my butt back into shape. Its been about 10 months sense then and I have gotten back to my original form and surpassed it. But it seems I've hit a plateau with my body and need some input. Here's my overall workout regiment:

Workout: 4/5 days on 3/2 off. Usually Mon, Wend, Fri, Sat/Sun. Usually do 3x10 on everything I do. About 5-6 workouts per body group. Here's the breakdown:
1. Bi's, Tri's, and Forearms.
2. Chest
3. Back and shoulder
4. Legs and Abs
5. Cardio :waaaah:
Cardio is usually included in 3-4 workouts per week.

Supplements:
1. Joint vitapack from GNC(got bad joints): http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3629957&CAWELAID=355682212
2. N.O.-Xplode(pre workout)
3. Syntha-6( one shake in the morning and one after I workout; about 45Grams per shake)
4. Been cycling Methyl 1-D, and GHT Stack for Testosterone booster but I am trying Pink Magic out.

Diet: Well, I don't really have one. Being in the Air Force means I'm on Uncle Sam's watch and sometimes I don't get the luxury of sitting down to have a healthy meal. I usually go to the Chow hall and get a salad with a 2-3 Chicken Breasts and some hard boiled eggs. If I do eat out its always at Subway. And I don't drink soda(I am addicted to Green/Sweet tea at the moment.

Body makeup: I am 6 Foot, 180-185lbs and have a 29.5 Inch Waist.(srry I don't know the metrics) Heres a couple of pics: http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/n64314/body2.jpg http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/n64314/body1.jpg

Things I have been having problems with is just the over all definition of my body. I use to be so cut when I was a kid(15-18) But it seems after that 6 month break I just can't get that definition back. I want to look cut even when I am not in the gym. Also One part of my body I really hate is my chest. My lower chest to be exact. Right around the nipple. I just can't seem to target that area well enough to tone it up. Now don't get me wrong I love being stronger and in the past 10 months I've put on 10lbs of peer muscle and increased all my gains by about 20-25%. I've never been a heavy lifter but I am dumbbell benching(don't like regular bar bench) 70 3x10 and squatting 275 -325 3x8-10 which is the best I've ever done. But I am looking to get some more overall definition.

Input would be awesome! Cheers! :drink:

PhDPepper
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
I have heard wide-grip decline barbell pullovers are suppose to help build up that sliver of muscle that goes across the lower pecs. It also should help build some definition along the muscles that cover up the ribs. (Serratus?) Link (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/wide-grip-decline-barbell-pullover) I'm not sure if you perform these already.
I know different variations of flies is also suppose to help in filling in the middle part of the chest. Decline Cable Flies should help out with the lower chest area too.

As for definition, certain parts may just be harder for you to define because of where exactly your muscles are attached on your body, so basically you'll probably just have to keep at building where you want more.

I think if you perform side raises more frequently to build up the deltoids, it will give you a more tapered look and improve on your definition. Arnold Presses are also known for defining the split between the front and middle deltoids. Also noticed that your lats seem to be pretty wide at the top, but sort of block themselves off around the bottom of your chest. If you perform Dumbbell Rows but pull the weight to your hip area(instead of closer to the shoulder), and keep your elbow tucked towards your body as much as possible, it actually should smoothen the transition from your upper and lower back a little.

For your arms, i think Incline Dumbbell curls with the dumbbells being horizontal (and *not in the vertical hammer curl position) will build up the bicep more while leaving the brachilli around the same size, so that it will build up the rounded bump on the top of your arm, without building up the volume that can make your arms disproportionally large compared to the rest of you. Biceps are the smaller muscles but thats where the definition of the upper arm comes from. Brachilli are a larger muscle, build a lot of bulk, but they don't build much definition because it lies under the biceps and are typically build by doing hammer type curls.

I'd also actually ease up on the free weight squats and maybe swap over to the machine squats for the heavier weight because this will reduce some of the load on your lower back, and possibly slim down your waist a little more to exaggerate your taper. This will actually make your lower back weaker over time, but shrinks the muscles down to slim the waist, and if your free squatting 275+lbs, it means you have some monsterious lower back muscles to support that. I personally one leg squat 205lbs, but two leg squat 225lbs because my lower back can't really handle more, but this allowed my waist to taper to 26 inches from a 38 inch chest.

You seem to have some strong lat tapering which is good, since its typically pretty hard to build up, and your traps(neck) seems a little smaller which is great for a V-tapering look if that is what your aiming more towards.

The shoulders, if you can build the rear deltoids, it will help round up your shoulders so they don't slant forward, and it will actually create a third major split on your shoulder to give a more heavy muscle styration effect.

You seem to have a nice shape in your abs where the upper abs sort of trapazoid smaller to the lower part of the abs, so whatever your doing it seems to work.

Oh yeah, and sweet tea has some ridiculous amounts of sugar in it so be careful of that stuff, lol.

hehe, if he hasn't while i was typing this in, i'm sure DistantArray knows some good tricks for this department too and will probably lend his input.

distantarray
09-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Hey everyone! Made this thread to discuss some gain/progress problems I've been running into and was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation. I started working out again very intensely after a 6 month break(Not really a break I just got lazy). Sense then I joined the US Air Force and got my butt back into shape. Its been about 10 months sense then and I have gotten back to my original form and surpassed it. But it seems I've hit a plateau with my body and need some input. Here's my overall workout regiment:

Workout: 4/5 days on 3/2 off. Usually Mon, Wend, Fri, Sat/Sun. Usually do 3x10 on everything I do. About 5-6 workouts per body group. Here's the breakdown:
1. Bi's, Tri's, and Forearms.
2. Chest
3. Back and shoulder
4. Legs and Abs
5. Cardio: waaaah:
Cardio is usually included in 3-4 workouts per week.

I'd Probably move your Bicep and Triceps forearms to then of your workout cycle, mainly because tiring out your arms early on can effect your chest and back workouts, mainly cause when you work your chest you'll automatically engage your triceps, and when you work your back you'll engage your biceps as well.

So just to make sure your chest and back gets more focus I think it'd be a good idea. Since chest and back are generally harder to workout initially. Most people superset (2 muscle groups in a day) back and bicep, chest and triceps cause of this, although some people prefer to do things differently this is generally most accepted breakdown.

My breakdown is

Day1 - Back and Bicep
Day2 - Chest and Tricep
Day3 - Upper and Lower legs
Day4 - Shoulders / abs / lower back

If I do cardio it's 15 minutes AFTER a workout which has been proven to increase the level of growth hormones after lifting weights, just don't add any lower body cardio after doing squats and lunges like running lol.

Although I want to get back into upper body cardio by doing Fire Poi. Personally preferrence and I love it. (really effective workout for entire upper body imo, and legs too if you move around)

Supplements:
1. Joint vitapack from GNC(got bad joints): http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3629957&CAWELAID=355682212
2. N.O.-Xplode(pre workout)
3. Syntha-6( one shake in the morning and one after I workout; about 45Grams per shake)
4. Been cycling Methyl 1-D, and GHT Stack for Testosterone booster but I am trying Pink Magic out.

First Joint Vitapack is very over-priced, get a quality multi-vitamin pak like Animal pak, if you have weak joints you can also get Animal Flex which for BOTH products combined will still cost you less than a 30 day supply of GNC Vitapak and offer you MUCH MUCH MORE.

Animal pak $24.95, and Animal Flex $21.95 on a 44 day supply vs GNC Vitapak $49.95 at 30 day supply.

http://www.tfsupplements.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=138

http://www.tfsupplements.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1077

I also tried MANY MANY pre-workouts and NO-explode is honestly on the bottom of my list, especially due to a extremely high Caffeine content since Nitric Oxide is a vaso-diolator (opens up blood vessels) and caffeine is a vaso-constrictor so kinda defeats the purpose of a good pump imo. Also I think it tastes like pure evil, one of the worst tasting pre-workouts from my opinion by far, and doesn't hit me hard at all. I'm a pre-workout / energy drink junkie.

Best 2 imo are white flood (little to no creatine) 1 scoop if your sensitive, 2 scoops if your tolerant
and
Muscle Marinade (most extensive ingredient list, but contains full serving of creatine which is great if you love it, but since It bloats me up quite good I try to avoid it) 1 scoops means 1 scoop!

GHT sounds fine, basically ZMA supplement with a few additives, but careful with Methyl 1-D cause in my personal opinion I stay away from any test boosters that claim estrogen block in 1 package. I also think most testosterone boosters should be cycled with a estrogen block to ensure no real side effects. I personally haven't tried Pink magic, so I can't really say too much, about that one.

Diet: Well, I don't really have one. Being in the Air Force means I'm on Uncle Sam's watch and sometimes I don't get the luxury of sitting down to have a healthy meal. I usually go to the Chow hall and get a salad with a 2-3 Chicken Breasts and some hard boiled eggs. If I do eat out its always at Subway. And I don't drink soda(I am addicted to Green/Sweet tea at the moment.

Body makeup: I am 6 Foot, 180-185lbs and have a 29.5 Inch Waist.(srry I don't know the metrics) Heres a couple of pics: http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/n64314/body2.jpg http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/n64314/body1.jpg

Well considering 3 chicken breasts are about 540 calories, and 3 large hard boiled eggs should run you around 210 calories. That totals to about 750 calories per meal, and Subways subs run anywhere from 400 - 1400 calories range for a foot long (not 6 inch)

From you trying to be good with your diet I can't imagine you picking out a crazy sandwich, but probably more like chicken breast, meatball, italian etc. Usually around 1,000 calories.

I don't know if your eating how many meals throughout the day, but if your limited to around 700-1,000 calories per 3 meals your eating too little in order to grow and probably why you hit a plateau, if your eating like this 6 times a day disregard that =)

Also everytime you eat your body is busy digesting, and distributing nutrients through the body, and literally runs hotter and more efficent meaning more fat burning properties, but if you don't fuel your body enough it's literally burning it's own muscles to repair the body in other areas.

Depending on your body type and gender your diet requirements can vary like crazy, anywhere from 1,500 calories to 4,000 calories just to start. I have friends who are literally eating 10,000+ calories daily. (natural weight of 6'3 120pounds, now 6'3 190pounds. in about year and half) More mass you put on, the more you'll have to eat to build mass period.

Calories and water are important above all else in gaining size, and controlling calories through protein / fat / carb distrubution and other nutrients are the key to gaining muscle and losing fat. Did you know even eating a Snickers or any other candy bar after a workout with a protein shake can be a good thing?

Things I have been having problems with is just the over all definition of my body. I use to be so cut when I was a kid(15-18) But it seems after that 6 month break I just can't get that definition back. I want to look cut even when I am not in the gym. Also One part of my body I really hate is my chest. My lower chest to be exact. Right around the nipple. I just can't seem to target that area well enough to tone it up. Now don't get me wrong I love being stronger and in the past 10 months I've put on 10lbs of peer muscle and increased all my gains by about 20-25%. I've never been a heavy lifter but I am dumbbell benching(don't like regular bar bench) 70 3x10 and squatting 275 -325 3x8-10 which is the best I've ever done. But I am looking to get some more overall definition.

Input would be awesome! Cheers! :drink:
I wouldn't focus on your lower chest to be honest, but work out the upper chest with inclines and incline flies to focus more on the upper pecs, my personal training and professional bodybuilders have all told me to focus on upper pecs for balance over anything. The upper pecs are naturally a smaller muscle so don't be afraid if you can't do as much. Also doing inclines will help you obtain a better front delts. Mainly cause the shoulder needs to stabilize more.

I've never been a heavy lifter but just been testing myself out recently, mainly cause everyone asks "what's your max bench?" gets annoying.

Personally I'm @ 165 atm, with natural high school body weight of 135 although probably smaller since I was doing 5 hours of martial arts a day at the time.

I rep 185 on incline press, and do 75 pound dumbbell incline press (highest they go at my gym) and max flat bench still undetermined, but should be around 250+ according to online max calculators which I've been told are pretty accurate. Although that's going by 225x3 and that was done after my chest and tricep workout.

Only things I'm taking at the moment is Controlled Labs - White Flood pre-workout, and Pro-Nos protein shake (usually Opitimum Nutrition, but this tastes too good and was on sale lol) Was on Controlled labs- Green bulge creatine for a few weeks and loved it, debating on going on another cycle soon even though I bloat I find Green Bulge gave me a lot of energy (lots of b-12) and their version of creatine didn't make me bloat half as much as Mono-hydrate.

Besides that always carb up before and after a workout, even with simple sugars, just don't drink soda cause the carbonation would probably be annoying while working out. Probably a full glass of juice, or even eating pure cake frosting isn't too bad. (powerbar makes power gels which basically is cake frosting in a packet, and gatorade G series G1 is just carbs and B-12 basically)

Just like your GHT stack that contains ZMA which is Zinc Magnesium and B6 which are easily depleted through intense workout, carbs are drained as well, and can benefit greatly when replenished after exhausted.

Also cardio AFTER weight training is found to be more beneficial than before.

distantarray
09-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Also liked to add http://www.simplyshredded.com is a great resource for people who like to gain muscle and lose fat =)

n64314
09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Wow thank you for the awesome help guys. Anyways to answer some of the responses I just want to say I can't believe you don't like the taste of NOXplode. Have you tried the Blue Raspberry? Trust me you will change your mind if you did. Speaking about creatine if I was trying to get more cut would suggest taking it; or will the extra water weight make me pudgier? Also how much water should I drinking a day with the creatine?

Thx!

PhDPepper
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
My experience with creatine was that as long as i kept exercising the creatine would have my muscles fill with fluids vs my skin, so i'd gain definition from it. I actually just take it because its suppose to help muscles store a little extra ATP which you need for your muscles to flex. I sort of use SuperPump 250 though because its kind of an all in one pre-workout suppliment with creatine, no2, amino acids, and a few mystery ingredients 0_o. I know a lot of people have had good experience with Jack3D too.

distantarray
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow thank you for the awesome help guys. Anyways to answer some of the responses I just want to say I can't believe you don't like the taste of NOXplode. Have you tried the Blue Raspberry? Trust me you will change your mind if you did. Speaking about creatine if I was trying to get more cut would suggest taking it; or will the extra water weight make me pudgier? Also how much water should I drinking a day with the creatine?

Thx!

monohydrate bloats me but it doesn't to some, it's different with everyone, personally I gained 10 pounds on creatine malate. Which is the controlled labs green bulge. Worked great for me, but creatine flushes out of your system within about a week, two max so I wouldn't worry. Taking creatine is good habit as long as you drink a lot of water, but while taking supplements you should be drinking a lot of water. Probably 1-2 gallons a day is a good habit if your on creatine or not. Just to make this happen I use super big cups that more resembles a big gulp at home lol, so I don't get lazy and not refilling them. :drink:

Although you say your trying to cut, but honestly you look pretty lean already, how much are you possibly wanting to cut? Usually people cut til they see abs, and you can see your abs ok right now. most people aim for 6-7% which you should probably be at 8-9 at most.

I think you should bulk up another 10 pounds and then cut. Although looking from your pictures and seeing how lean you are at 6 foot it's hard for me to imagine your 180-185?

This is a picture of my friend who's at 190 and 6'3

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs436.ash1/24080_110837278950267_100000719876275_112338_40282 37_n.jpg

Also if you try MRI black powder, or Muscle Marinade the flavors of everything is terrible in comparison. I could literally eat those two as a pixie stick flavor, dip and lick the finger friendly.

n64314
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I think you should bulk up another 10 pounds and then cut. Although looking from your pictures and seeing how lean you are at 6 foot it's hard for me to imagine your 180-185?

Also if you try MRI black powder, or Muscle Marinade the flavors of everything is terrible in comparison. I could literally eat those two as a pixie stick flavor, dip and lick the finger friendly.

Are you saying I look lighter then I actually am or heavier? And I might have to try those out if you like them that much!

One more question what do you drink for a water alternative. I know water is always the best thing to drink but every now and then I like some variety; something that quenches my thirst. Any suggestions?

distantarray
09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Are you saying I look lighter then I actually am or heavier? And I might have to try those out if you like them that much!

One more question what do you drink for a water alternative. I know water is always the best thing to drink but every now and then I like some variety; something that quenches my thirst. Any suggestions?

I just drink a lot of water and protein shakes lol, I used to think a scoop was enough but I started taking double scoops and with a good tasting ones like pro-nos , muscle tech, optimum nutrition I never get bored. Cookies and Cream are delicious, and mint chocolate, Vanilla, I have probably about 50 pounds of protein in different flavors lol! Pro-nos is great for cutting cause it tastes great even without using milk. It's super thick too so you feel fuller longer if your using it as a meal replacement.

Unsweet tea I love, I don't like sweet tea cause it doesn't quench my thirst, also sparkling mineral water with lemon and making your own soda is much healthier with some sugar or splenda.

PhDPepper
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
This is a picture of me at around 145lbs Link (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2632797/)

LOL, ignore the motivational poster part, it was kind of taken as a joke originally. I was probably dehydrated too because it was taken after a 8.6 mile hike to the top of yosemite falls, and i ran out of water part way up and couldn't refill till we hit the stream to filter out some more drinking water.

distantarray
09-14-2010, 11:53 PM
This is a picture of me at around 145lbs Link (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2632797/)

LOL, ignore the motivational poster part, it was kind of taken as a joke originally. I was probably dehydrated too because it was taken after a 8.6 mile hike to the top of yosemite falls, and i ran out of water part way up and couldn't refill till we hit the stream to filter out some more drinking water.

LOL such a goof, I'm going to go on a cutting cycle in about 2-3 weeks we'll see what's under all my fat =(

therob127
09-15-2010, 08:51 AM
started taking SuperPump250 this week (Monday and Tuesday so far). On Monday I took the one scoop which is recommended for the first couple times of using it. I didn't feel as much energy or a pump as I have with NO-Shotgun. Last night(Tuesday), I took 1.5 scoops felt a little more twitchy before the workout but didn't have that energized feel as I did with no-shotgun. During my workout I felt exhausted, however my muscles didn't. I was able to keep pushing my leg workout further. I felt as though I could push more weight for more reps than I could before. We'll see how it works over the next few weeks as I increase the dosage.

According to a rep from Gaspari on the BB.com forums, one scoop contains 1 gram of creatine. I also follow up my workout with a post workout protein shake based around Optimum Nutritions Pro Complex protein, that has a scoop of glutamine(4.5g) and another gram of creatine(also from ON).

PhDPepper
09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
I actually used superpump 250 before, and i would use 2 scoops of it. I recently switched over to jack3D and it seems to take a little bit for the energy to kick in, but overall i seem to have more endurance from 1 scoop of jack3D then SuperPump 250. Hehe, i also have an easier time falling asleep at night with Jack3D ATM.

All in all though, I think i'll stick with jack3D for a bit to see how it turns out since its cheaper, but also i only use half as much so it lasts for a while.

distantarray
09-17-2010, 03:39 AM
I actually used superpump 250 before, and i would use 2 scoops of it. I recently switched over to jack3D and it seems to take a little bit for the energy to kick in, but overall i seem to have more endurance from 1 scoop of jack3D then SuperPump 250. Hehe, i also have an easier time falling asleep at night with Jack3D ATM.

All in all though, I think i'll stick with jack3D for a bit to see how it turns out since its cheaper, but also i only use half as much so it lasts for a while.

you should try white flood it's the cheapest per serving in the pre-workout market, although most people do use 2 scoops.

Still think Muscle Marinade is the best bang for the buck if you like creatine anyways.