PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cross Marian Jacket

starrhettix
09-13-2010, 01:13 AM
So I'm remaking my cross marian jacket (his casual outfit not the exorcist uniform) and The only thing that I am still having a little trouble thinking about is how the zipper is sewn in the front. Obviously its going to be hidden but how exactly do i hide behind the gold trimming on his jacket?

Kelley
09-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Reference pictures ?

kbbandgirl
11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I had the same problem and I came up with two different solutions (both of which work, I made his other casual coat too). I'm a seamstress so if I don't explain it well enough just let me know. Here are the options:

1) The old hidden zipper trick. Now what you can do is extend one of the front sides of the coat and if you're lining the coat (which you should, it's much more comfortable), stop the lining just short of the other side of the coat. Then you sew the zipper onto the long side and the lining, and the regular with front piece covers it. The zipper is off center but that makes it even harder to see. And then you just sew the trim on normally.

2) This way doesn't involve a zipper at all but actually produces a slightly better looking outcome. What you do is you use a base pattern with built in button flaps like ( http://butterick.mccall.com/b6844-products-3815.php?page_id=874 , B is a very good base, you just need to fix the cuffs and only do two pleats instead of 3). Instead of using buttons you can but in a zipper but I've found that the best way is to use hooks and eyes. They're a pain to sew on but look simply fabulous.

-Nayami-
11-22-2010, 12:21 PM
I'd go the hook and eye route, as well. Will be easier in the long run, and will give a great finished appearance.