PDA

View Full Version : "Silver-haired maiden" wig? or should i just color...

tauruskatt
10-02-2003, 07:17 PM
I've been hoping of cosplaying Aira from Green Legend Ran for quite some time now, but i'm having problems with her hair (this is a major portion of the costume, since she is known as the 'silver haired maiden', and it's apparently quite silvery)

i got close last year when a costume shop nearby ordered a couple in for me to look at, one was moderately priced and one was too expensive for me at the time, i never got to see the expensive one, but from what i heard the less expensive could Not have passed as silver.

the trick is, everything with a 'hair' texture is, well...grey. maybe a silvery gray, but not silver. or its a really light blonde color. either way- close but no cigar, ya know?? the only things i find that are *silver* when i search online are those metallic ones, and that's no good either.

i'll be doing the costume in the outfit she's wearing when she sees the bishops, so her hair is down, (slightly longer then shoulder-length) and she's wearing a big tall crown/hat.

basically, does anyone have any ideas?? should i keep looking? pan out some money and just buy a majorly expensive but quality wig? (since the rest of the outfit will cost next to nothing) or should i just spray my hair with silver hair spray? (since i can stock up now on halloween stuff)

*Oui*- and if i do have to spray my own hair, does anyone know where i can find some tips on keeping it in my hair and not everywhere else?

THANKS! i've been dying to do this costume forever, to the point that now it's just stubborness that's making me ask for help!! lol :waaaah:

~kat

Pendrell
10-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Well now... you *could* buy a moderately high-quality wig and streak it or color it entirely silver. I know the silver-white wigs on witchwigs.com are quite receptive to marker-coloring. Someone around here colored a Tsukasa wig with a silver marker, too, if I'm not mistaken. :P

.. can you tell I favor coloring wigs over other alternatives? ;9 I figure if you want that perfect color, you might have to end up doing it yourself..

Hikaru Tsuki
10-02-2003, 07:58 PM
I've met someone who used silver Ice Spiker Gel to turn a blonde wig into a silver one. Though, the wig was short, so I wouldn't know how well it would work for a long wig. But what I can say is that it looked absolutely beautiful. I'm using the same method to turn a blonde wig of my own silver for my Dilandau costume.

Vialoi Ketsueke
10-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Well now... you *could* buy a moderately high-quality wig and streak it or color it entirely silver. I know the silver-white wigs on witchwigs.com are quite receptive to marker-coloring. Someone around here colored a Tsukasa wig with a silver marker, too, if I'm not mistaken. :P

.. can you tell I favor coloring wigs over other alternatives? ;9 I figure if you want that perfect color, you might have to end up doing it yourself..

Marker coloring to get silver works rather well. My wig was once blonde, and I used a cool grey Prisma colored marker to make it appear silver. Here is a pretty good photograph of the wig.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=79462&password=&sort=1&cat=3425&page=1

Fénicia
10-03-2003, 01:03 PM
You can use a silver hair spray on a blond, white or licht gray wig. :bigtu:

tauruskatt
10-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Wow- thanks! you guys are so helpful :toothy:

Hikaru Tsuki: let me know how that turns out with the gel, you're right though- i'm not sure how it would work with a long wig, but it would be good to know for future refs!

I think i may marker like Pendrell recommended now that i've seen that pic of your wig Vialoi Ketsueke!! ::Wow!::
I don't mind time consuming or doing it myself at all. as for where to get the wig i think i'll go back to the costume place i tried to get it last year- she was really nice to order those wigs in for me, and didn't even make me buy any, so i owe her one :p

also, i've heard it before somewhere, but are Prisma markers the best? i think i can find them at the craft store...
Thanks again!!

~kat

Lafiel
10-03-2003, 06:02 PM
I don't suppose you checked out witchwigs.com

http://www.witchwigs.com/wig_colors.htm
would Ash blonde or Silver White do?

Prisma markers or Copic ones are the best.. but also most expensive ;)

Pendrell
10-04-2003, 02:19 PM
It might do to check out the silver Sharpie discussion that occurred earlier in this forum, too. ^_^ I colored my Subaru wig with Sharpies-- from silver white to deep turquoise. :D
But Prismacolor has a wonderful selection of colors. I didn't find what I wanted... which was rather surprising. >_>

tauruskatt
10-10-2003, 11:45 PM
update: i started coloring on an old cheap blonde wig i had hanging around with Prisma grey and Prisma's metallic silver (whoops, hadn't read the sharpie disscussion yet---)
the metallic silver was indeed all wrong, it works, but makes the hair all sticky. the gray was nice, but it shows that it was a cheap wig when i started doing a little more of it. (don't really care, needed a new wig in the right cut anywho)
so i'll be buying from witchwigs.com or the costume shop i was talking about earlier. and if i run into one of these mythical silver sharpies i'll use that instead (b/c i might get sweaty hands, and the more permenent the better, lol)
thanks again
~kat

tauruskatt
10-13-2003, 11:27 PM
yahoo!- sorry for double posting, but A.C.Moore had a sale and i got some silver sharpies for cheeeaap! the silver is...more silver. more vivid i guess, and affects the hair texture more if you ask me, but after a rinse it's better. but then again- cheap experimental wig! :thumbsup:

Xx Lulu xX
10-14-2003, 07:23 AM
you could also try Amphigory, they have great wigs, and in a silvery white...

Gren
10-14-2003, 11:24 AM
I tinted my whitish Riku wig with Silver sharpies, and it's just as silver as silver can be. Not grey. Silver. When it catches the light right it makes me drool puddles all over myself. Downside? Takes forevvvver. Buy she big packs of sharpies. I used like, 4 or 5, and that's a shoulder length wig.

T4uRu$k4tt
11-05-2003, 12:58 AM
i'm going to "drooling puddles silver" :D
thanks guys!!

~katt