PDA

View Full Version : Utarpa Meeting 31st?

Lafiel
10-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Is anyone interested in showing up to the meeting in costume for the fun of it ^^?

I'll probably be their in my Varanoir costume if I can get a long blonde wig intime.

**EDIT** holy CR*P this is the first time in weeks my post topic actually posted!

lainey
10-03-2003, 06:36 PM
i probably might...
i didn't know they switched the date!

i'm going to go to some halloween party at uoft so i might as well stop by at utarpa...since i am a member :D

angelcosmos
10-07-2003, 01:42 AM
umm what's utarpa? ^_^;

Lafiel
10-07-2003, 02:41 PM
It is an anime club located downtown toronto:)
www.utarpa.org.
Not to sure if any other clubs are having halloween releated events.

angelcosmos
10-07-2003, 03:10 PM
It is an anime club located downtown toronto:)
www.utarpa.org.
Not to sure if any other clubs are having halloween releated events.

oic. thanks for the link! eek they're showing Pet Shop of Horrors?! OMG I wanna read the manga but may be I'll check the anime before buying tokyopop's graphic novel. can't afford to collect all of the gns. :thumbsup:

Lafiel
10-07-2003, 03:28 PM
The manga is SOooooo good, I'm currently collecting it #3 comes out this month :)

the Anime Has nothing on the Manga, the first 2 manga novels acutally have all the episodes which are in the anime (4 episodes in the anime.. and each the first and 2nd novel have 2 of the stories each, some are slightly different).

lainey
10-07-2003, 06:02 PM
lafiel are you still going...?
pm me your msn ^_^

Takuma-san
10-07-2003, 06:26 PM
CTRL-A's (The Club That Really Likes Anime) having our annual Halloween costume contest, if anyone's interested in travelling out to Waterloo. We're also having our craft and drawing seminars that weekend, if anyone feels like making the duck from Princess Tutu, or learn to draw from a demi-Pro.

As for the contest, you can expect a good selection of quality costumes here, considering how quite a few of the people who won awards in the Artisan level at AN'03 is in our club. That is, if they make anything special for this year...

angelcosmos
10-07-2003, 06:39 PM
The manga is SOooooo good, I'm currently collecting it #3 comes out this month :)

the Anime Has nothing on the Manga, the first 2 manga novels acutally have all the episodes which are in the anime (4 episodes in the anime.. and each the first and 2nd novel have 2 of the stories each, some are slightly different).

so there's an actual story in Pet Shop? *o* I thought it was just stories from the animals going all scary, I read an installment in the tokyopop freebie book. That's how I fell in love with Glass of Under Moon ^_~

thanks. i'll try to pick it up when kodocha and chobits is over. gotta balance my collection of poordom. lmao

Minakolabelle
10-07-2003, 06:49 PM
As for the contest, you can expect a good selection of quality costumes here, considering how quite a few of the people who won awards in the Artisan level at AN'03 is in our club. That is, if they make anything special for this year...

I garentee that it will shock, yet amuse you <3

Erilan
10-07-2003, 07:10 PM
I garentee that it will shock, yet amuse you <3

yeah, she's right... be afraid. :eeek:

Lafiel
10-07-2003, 07:40 PM
I would love to go to waterloo, but its a bit out of my driving range :\ As I would be getting a ride from a friend.. maybe some of us could have a mini road trip hehe.

AngelCosmos: Well it is based on a story by story basis.. you find out a little more about D each time though :) The Stories are always about something different, I can bring my first Volume to Utarpa on the 31st if you want to read some of it doing the meeting ^^

archangeli
10-07-2003, 07:42 PM
bah. i'm working on Halloween until 7pm. That kinda limits where I can go . . .

lainey
10-07-2003, 09:09 PM
lafiel i'll love to read some manga there
(free manga...wOOt!!)

what time will u be there...?

lainey
10-07-2003, 09:10 PM
COME ON ANIME COSPLAYERS, COME TO UTARPA AND COSPLAY WITH US!

*twirls*

xiola
10-07-2003, 09:22 PM
re: ctrl-a...

yeah, sure ctrl-a is my home anime club and sure i've won four masquerade awards this year including "best in show workmanship", but that doesn't mean the ctrl-a costume contest is worth a damn! i swear could wear my fucking Merryweather dress against 15 people and not win ANYTHING unless everyone knew the series and i flipped my skirt up for good measure. it's not like they have anything remotely resembling *costume* judging. if i win anything this time it will only be because the outfit i'm wearing has vinyl bits and the skirt happens to be somewhat short so if i'm lucky i'll end up with points for fanservice. which is meaningless to me -_-;;

stupid ctrl-a costume thingie... *grumbles*

err... but yeah! come to ctrl-a! other than the retarded contests, it's very very good! >_>;;

Mage
10-07-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm still considering going to OtaQu...only thing that makes me hesitant is the whole...'okay, i know how to GET to Kingston...and it's pretty hard not to find Queen's once you're there...but...what the hell am I going to stay???' eh heh...

damn, i wish my relatives hadn't moved out west...T_T <---so selfish XD

UTMAnime is also having a Hallowe'en contest this year. ^_^ My title's up for grabs as I wouldn't compete this year anyway, even if I was there. I wish I could be there to see who succeeds me, though. =\

Kia
10-07-2003, 10:30 PM
What did you win last year Mage?

Mage
10-08-2003, 01:52 AM
I can't remember....x_X; Oh yeah! A 1/100 (I think) scale model of Gundam Nataku. I like models a whole bunch, so that rocked. ^_^ Or maybe it wasn't for the halloween show. I can't remember. x_X;

I've won four times (2x halloween, 2x anniversary) and got the following stuff: nadesico movie soundtrack, the gundam model, the entire Gatekeepers series on DVD and...oh crap...i can't remember the other thing...o_o; oops.

I really encourage entering these things just for the experience...it's nice to go up there in front of a relatively small group and without the pressure of a real masquerade. ^_^

Lafiel
10-08-2003, 02:24 AM
lafiel i'll love to read some manga there
(free manga...wOOt!!)

what time will u be there...?

Not to sure what time.. maybe around 7:30 - 8 :)
Once its closer I will know for sure :)

xiola
10-08-2003, 11:41 AM
mage: i don't neccessarily encourage entering these things! :P in my case they are not very encouraging! i mean, it doesn't help that my anime club has in it's attendance a) one of my friends that's won major presentation awards at AN for the past 4 years incl. Best in Show except this year, b) Yaoi Pocky boy, who always wins something c) Minako, who always shows me up. plus the fact that no one knows the stuff i cosplay so they just don't give a damn at all, and something fanservicey wins. lucky me i have a mildly fanservicey costume this year. i'm sure i still won't win anything though. -_-

so it's really not like a smaller crowd gives me a better chance of winning anything.. -_-;;

then again, i have issues with contests. we all know this. *sigh*

i'm late for class. i suck -_-

-_-;;

Minakolabelle
10-08-2003, 11:49 AM
It only a club contest.

I mean it's like halloween at a bar, you can have the most amazing costume ever but the pimp and his hos will always win. No point in stressing or complaingin over it, it's just for fun.

Lafiel
10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Fanervicey.. eh??
Hrmm..

Takuma-san
10-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Urk, note to self, check this board more often.

Regarding the costume contest.... I guess I should probably revise the rules a bit. I never did like the part where half of our points were based on how the audiance cheered. I sympathize in some ways with Xiola, having lost not because of quality of my work... I think Lorenzo took the Ayanami Rei clock just to spit me. ;_<

Anyhoo, since I'm not participating this year, I guess I could try to form a worksmanship judging panel consisting of me, myself, and whoever I arbitrary choose. Don't worry, I'm cruelly sadistic when it comes to rating costume, no favoritism here. Just, um, bring a reference pic so I'll know what to compare to.

And I'd thank you not to refer to me as 'Yaoi Pocky Boy'. O_o''' I'll not refer to you as 'Spice' Girl. >=P

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

xiola
10-14-2003, 11:39 PM
heh... i was actually going to ask you but you're never online... if you'd consider having me as a workmanship judge (so i wouldn't be entering), and give a few workmanship awards as a seperate category. even if the workmanship ones don't win *prizes*, i don't care. i'd just like to RECOGNIZE such things, because it would make me feel better. the other advantage to having me do it is if anyone at the club complains about fairness, i actually DO have stuff i can point to as far as "credentials", at least for a small audience like this, because since i go to school for it people can't complain that i "don't know what i'm talkign about" or something. (not that i'd ever consider judging anything big, i hardly think i'm that cool, but as far as an event this small goes, we're obviously not going to be out-sourcing for judges or anything.)

but yeah... anyway... um. i suppose i shoudl email you. but i hate composing proposals in emails... i end up taking an hour to write an email for no good reason >_<

Kaijugal
10-15-2003, 01:10 AM
re: ctrl-a...

yeah, sure ctrl-a is my home anime club and sure i've won four masquerade awards this year including "best in show workmanship", but that doesn't mean the ctrl-a costume contest is worth a damn! i swear could wear my fucking Merryweather dress against 15 people and not win ANYTHING unless everyone knew the series and i flipped my skirt up for good measure. it's not like they have anything remotely resembling *costume* judging. if i win anything this time it will only be because the outfit i'm wearing has vinyl bits and the skirt happens to be somewhat short so if i'm lucky i'll end up with points for fanservice. which is meaningless to me -_-;;

stupid ctrl-a costume thingie... *grumbles*

err... but yeah! come to ctrl-a! other than the retarded contests, it's very very good! >_>;;

Maybe they should reaname it the ctrl-a Fanservice Contest? <chuckles>

(But serriously), I applaud the fact that the club is making the effort to sponsor a contest at all. Things like this always have the potential to grown and evolve into something truely amazing if people are willing to help it along. :) Xiola, I commend you for stepping forward and offering to help with a form of workmanship judging. I hope the members of Ctrl-a responsible for organizing the contest take it into consideration. As Minakolabelle, (I belive) pointed out earlier, there are a good number of Anime North attendees that are part of Ctrl-a, so it seems there is already a pretty savy fanbase participating. :)

Good luck to all who participate, wether as an organizer or contestant. I hope someone posts results and of course pictures here after the fact. :)

Cheers!
~Kai

Takuma-san
10-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Maybe they should reaname it the ctrl-a Fanservice Contest? <chuckles>

Only if you're trying to give the organizer, me, stomach ulcers. ^_-''''

Hmm... Non-prize winning positions for craftsmanship... I haven't thought of it that way. Talk to me this weekend Xiola, if you show up.

lainey
10-30-2003, 08:14 AM
ahhh Lafiel I think I'm going to cosplay as gunner Yuna...

it's 19 degrees tomorrow O_O

E-mail me if you're cosplay too...
I don't wanna be the only there O_O

And what time you will be there and all ^_^
We should exchange cell phone numbers too...bah

anyone else up for it?

Lafiel
10-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Hello!

Thats great!!
I'm wondering if I should pick another outfit to wear >.<
I picked a warmer winter outfit.. argh... *gargle* heheh

I should probably be there around 8 :)
I'll be wearing:
www.himearts.com/varanoir.jpg

see you there!!

anyone else up for it?

Jinto
10-30-2003, 09:08 PM

anyone else up for it?
I'll be tagging along with Lafiel, as my namesake :) I finally got Jinto's bomber jacket; it looks so cool. PM me if you want to swap cell numbers.

Mari Moni
10-30-2003, 09:31 PM
UTARPA:

if it's warm/hot tomorrow then i might consider rewearing my 1 and only costume
but do i just walk in even if im not a member?
is there a lot of people in the club??

lainey
10-30-2003, 09:51 PM
maybe 100 will show up.

you cannot watch the showings if you are not a member, you can hang in the hallway with lafiel O_O

tomorrow it's 19 degrees...are u cosplaying?

lainey
10-30-2003, 09:52 PM
so that's...quite a bit of people cosplaying!

should i cosplay...bah

mari you were the chii?

omigosh you were SOO cute ^_^

u should definitely cosplay as chii...
i'm doing a chii next year....

*twirls*

Mari Moni
10-30-2003, 10:12 PM
lainey:
yeah go cosplayyyyy
are u going in to watch the videos tho??
who else is going..
i wanna go.. but then if like im the onlycosplayer that can't go in then there's no point
cuz like there's nothing to do standing in the hallways... =\
i'll be going by myself too (none of my friends cosplays)

really?? I'll be going as chii again most likely every convention
but it'll be different outfits
maybe we can do a pair thing and take pictures ^^

lainey
10-30-2003, 10:36 PM
mari go on msn!

what time are you coming at?

do u live in the GTA? come watch the vids too ^_^

me and a friend are cosplaying..
lafiel and her friend is cosplaying..
so including you, five of us

Lafiel
10-31-2003, 12:08 AM
*Cheers* it'll be fun, Maybe lainey knows some nice places on campus we can take pictures.. to bad its so dark out so early.

Lafiel
11-03-2003, 01:14 AM
Check out my Gallery, Have one of the pictures taken that night :) It was fun to meet the both of you :)

heki-chan
11-03-2003, 03:02 AM
hey guys :) saw some utarpa pix and am wondering how it went! tell us about it ^___^ <3

lainey
11-03-2003, 03:07 PM
ahhh it was alright O_o

Hey Mari moni...you know that engineering party downstairs...?
UGH...my friends were trying to tell me that there was a costume contest downstairs.

o well...next year ^_^ i still had fun with you guys ^_^
see u at the next utarpa meeting ^_^

Jinto
11-04-2003, 12:01 AM
ahhh it was alright O_o

Hey Mari moni...you know that engineering party downstairs...?
UGH...my friends were trying to tell me that there was a costume contest downstairs.

o well...next year ^_^ i still had fun with you guys ^_^
see u at the next utarpa meeting ^_^
Heh, heh. I dunno if Lafiel will mention it, but after utarpa, we when to the Savage Garden. Some of the guys talked Lafiel into entering the costume contest, and she did pretty well.
She came in fifth, which was pretty good considering it was based on crowd applause, and one of the girls was topless, except for some green body paint. :P
Anyway, it was really cool meeting you guys, and it looks like the pics turned out really well.

archangeli
11-04-2003, 12:08 AM
hehe... I heard from multiple sources that it was a lot of fun.

maybe next time ;)