PDA

View Full Version : Sparda's Force Edge (DMC Sword help needed!)

Demonic Pocky
09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok so I'm a prop-making noob so admit that now.
I'm in the process of making a Sparda Cosplay from Devil May Cry. Here's some reference of the character if you need it http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/Rosenkruz_Kaiba/Sparda.jpg
So I've decided I'm going to make his sword Force Edge as a prop (I think it's easier than trying to make it's final form) I have done a little looking as to making prop swords but there's still stuff I'm clueless about. So here's the reference I could find of the sword http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc155/shinsupremekai2002/Regular%20Weaponry/weapon.jpg
in this picture you see Virgil holding it in his left hand if that help with size comparison http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/vergil123/7b30622a.gif but if anyone wants to venture a guess a at some measurements go right ahead.
So I've heard the most common methods are wood and foam core. I'm leaning towards the foam, fiberglass, resin method and was wondering if anyone's used this method and would like to share the results. I've also heard people say to make the blade in two pieces and glue them together, and making the hilt separate and then attaching it but nobody's very specific on how to do that... And if anyone know how with this method to raise certain areas like the designs on the handle part as well as indented parts. What I want to know is the best way to go about making a sword like this any advice would be great! (or some good tutorials!)

essex1984
09-15-2010, 01:08 AM
well you did choose a pretty simple sword all things considered for cosplay.

You have lots of options and the linked photos help. First i would look at what you budget stands at. If you have the money to invest in this prop then Resin and fiberglass are going to get you a much strong more durable prop.

Wood and Foam core are a great way to do a sword if your new to the craft. This consists of a dowel sandwiched between layers of foam core then shaped to look like a sword. A hard covering (normally paper mache) is applied then painted.

For a fiber glass sword you are doing the same process, but the effect and cost goes up but the sword will be much more durable and able to survive several cons.

Ask your self about cost you want to spend, post back and then we can give you a better direction to go in for method of construction.

Technowraith
11-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Materials:
Wood, or stiffened insulation foam. Sparda is relatively easy except for the hilt (the part you hold the sword). You would also need a length of PVc pipe.

Measurements:
Sparda is a longsword I believe (I may be wrong). So total length is about 5 and half to 6 feet long. The blade is probably close to 48 inches long, with the remainder (12 inches) being the handle. This is a 5 foot sword.

Keep in mind that resin is usually a multiple step process, involving mixing and applying the resin. Be sure to use the resin in a well ventilated area for your safety. ((Resin isn't difficult to work with, but just be mindful).

Link_Harkanian
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Actually, the Force Edge is more of three and a half to four feet, being that Sparda himself is 6'1". a Longsword is typically in the 3 1/2 foot range, you're thing a Great Sword, Wraith. Those tend to be in the 5 to 6 foot range, like Rebellion. Force Edge is a bastard, or hand-and-a-half, sword.