PDA

View Full Version : I would like to be in shape

jam_ggx
09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
hello everyone i'm new here on Cosplay.com and, like many of you, i love to cosplay. i have quetions about exercising and getting in shape.

i love to cosplay but i am insecure about my weight. i am 5'4" and weigh 145(ish). i would like to be in the 120-130 weight range. what is a good exercise/diet that you guys would suggest? I would like to get a flat stomach and toned legs.

Note: a little about me. i try to eat balanced meals everyday. i do have horrible will power when it comes to food and am sad to admit that i am a bit of glutton -_-. i generally am an outgoing person but hate to do things by myself. i get embarrassed when i work out in public. i hate running (yes i have tried. it's just not for me) but i am up for anything else ^^. also it's hard to get me motivated and i have a bad habit of putting things off, rewarding myself with sweets, and drinking on the weekends.

Please help (and, if possible, motivation never hurts)!

distantarray
09-17-2010, 03:43 AM
hello everyone i'm new here on Cosplay.com and, like many of you, i love to cosplay. i have quetions about exercising and getting in shape.

i love to cosplay but i am insecure about my weight. i am 5'4" and weigh 145(ish). i would like to be in the 120-130 weight range. what is a good exercise/diet that you guys would suggest? I would like to get a flat stomach and toned legs.

Note: a little about me. i try to eat balanced meals everyday. i do have horrible will power when it comes to food and am sad to admit that i am a bit of glutton -_-. i generally am an outgoing person but hate to do things by myself. i get embarrassed when i work out in public. i hate running (yes i have tried. it's just not for me) but i am up for anything else ^^. also it's hard to get me motivated and i have a bad habit of putting things off, rewarding myself with sweets, and drinking on the weekends.

Please help (and, if possible, motivation never hurts)!

First it'd be great if you post a example of your diet, cause often people are quite confused on the whole balanced meal ideas and makes huge mistakes. Also if you get used to eating frequently in smaller meals your stomach's elasticity will actually decrease meaning you'll feel fuller with less food as you go on. Everything your body is readily digesting, it's heating up hotter at your core causing a thermogenic effect to increase your metabolism digesting and delivering nutrients throughout your body. If you over eat it's like sticking too much coal into a train engine, it'll actually slow down the rate of burn and slow down your body since it pools extra blood to your stomach to speed up digestion but slowing down rest of your body in the process.

Also just cause you hate running doesn't mean you can't get a great cardio workout, cardio is ANYTHING that involves raising your heart rate. If your heart rate is elevated then your doing fine. Aim for around 150-160 is generally very good.

Also to get most benefit lift heavy ass weights for 8-12 reps - 3-5 sets 3-5 difference exercises for each muscle group to tone and shape your muscles, remember to workout your entire body and not neglect the other cause this will cause balance issues and can even cause discomfort or injury in extremes. (like morons who do nothing but chest and arms all day everyday)

Lifting weights releases hormones from your muscles which are better utilized if you follow it up with cardio. Honestly most people get an awesome cardio workout with just changing the elevation and walking, this will develop more muscular strength tone and definition and will help you ease into running eventually. Also running in a single speed constantly isn't as great for fat loss as interval training which is mixing up running walking sprinting jogging in random order.

It's important to take a great protein shake or protein rich foods directly after a workout, mainly cause your body needs protein to rebuild strong muscles, and if you don't get enough directly after a workout your body is literally going to start eating away at your existing muscle to repair the damage that was done during the workout (working out rips and tears your muscle fibers, and it regrows bigger and stronger)

My reward for working out is a great tasting protein shake, often GOOD shakes like Pro-NOS , muscle tech, and optimum nutrition (ones I've tried) are all amazing in flavor and can easily compete against steak and shake shakes if you blend it with milk and ice. Besides that I drink tons of water.

Drinking ice cold water is also a way to burn extra calories cause your body will work hard to reheat your core back to a normal temp.

jam_ggx
09-17-2010, 03:58 AM
thank you ^ ^, also, i love your "knight's tale" quote

jam_ggx
09-17-2010, 04:09 AM
does DDR count as a good workout? i generally like to work out in private. previously, in highschool, i was on the diet of "green tea, DDR, and no potatoes, pop, or noodles" and from that i lost 10 lbs. now though, since i'm in college, i just can't seem to get motivated and have resulted to the computer and laziness. i mean, for goodness sake, the workout place is across the street and completely free for students (but this leads to the problem of me being afraid to work out in public >>). the diet i'm referring to is one that's consists of fruit, vegetables, meat, oats, dairy, and little sweets. i do not drink pop and usually result to drinking unsweetened green tea. i am trying to get into the habit of grabbing less food, eating slower and i'm walking more.

distantarray
09-17-2010, 04:33 AM
does DDR count as a good workout? i generally like to work out in private. previously, in highschool, i was on the diet of "green tea, DDR, and no potatoes, pop, or noodles" and from that i lost 10 lbs. now though, since i'm in college, i just can't seem to get motivated and have resulted to the computer and laziness. i mean, for goodness sake, the workout place is across the street and completely free for students (but this leads to the problem of me being afraid to work out in public >>). the diet i'm referring to is one that's consists of fruit, vegetables, meat, oats, dairy, and little sweets. i do not drink pop and usually result to drinking unsweetened green tea. i am trying to get into the habit of grabbing less food, eating slower and i'm walking more.

I forgot to add that even lifting weights if you decrease your rest times and decrease your weights each set accordingly to hit a similiar number of reps you'll actually burn more calories than conventional running alone. Generally no more than 30-60seconds rest, I usually go with 10-15. The heart rate will stay high to effectively burn calories.

Ask yourself with DDR are you sweating, is your heart beat rising? I doubt ddr is great at beginner levels, but at more advanced levels it's a great cardio workout and a great way to lose weight.

ALso all fruits and veggies are not created equal. Do a google search on "cutting foods" which are bodybuilders diets, they will list the best fruits and veggies to eat that are packed with nutrients and great for weight loss.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek73.htm

Here's a great article to get you started. In ability to lose fat and staying healthy, no one does it better than bodybuilders, cause messing up their diet will easily result in fat gains and muscle loss. Remember that losing weight doesn't mean it's always a good or healthy thing to accomplish. Your goal should be to lose fat, and NOT losing muscle.

Before and after pictures, comments and feedbacks from your peers, loose fitting clothing, body fat calculators etc are the true measurement of health and progress.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Omron-Portable-Body-Fat-Analyzer/3342463?sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=3342463

Good easy way.

Generally 10% for a guy is pretty damn good, and about 18-20% for women are generally about the time when you should start seeing a 6pack. few percentage higher is very healthy as well, 25% for a guy and 33% for a woman is generally considered obese.

Also some people have hard time managing their weight, and sometimes this doesn't mean your not healthy, some people just hold onto fat a lot more than others genetically, and that doesn't mean your not healthy either. Cardiovascular health is the most important. Good way to tell is your heart rate, the lower it is, the usually better. Athletes will have lower beats per minute, because their hearts are more efficient at pumping volume.

Kasinator
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Be sure to look here (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=219555) too! :D

jam_ggx
09-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I forgot to add that even lifting weights if you decrease your rest times and decrease your weights each set accordingly to hit a similiar number of reps you'll actually burn more calories than conventional running alone. Generally no more than 30-60seconds rest, I usually go with 10-15. The heart rate will stay high to effectively burn calories.

Ask yourself with DDR are you sweating, is your heart beat rising? I doubt ddr is great at beginner levels, but at more advanced levels it's a great cardio workout and a great way to lose weight.

ALso all fruits and veggies are not created equal. Do a google search on "cutting foods" which are bodybuilders diets, they will list the best fruits and veggies to eat that are packed with nutrients and great for weight loss.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek73.htm

Here's a great article to get you started. In ability to lose fat and staying healthy, no one does it better than bodybuilders, cause messing up their diet will easily result in fat gains and muscle loss. Remember that losing weight doesn't mean it's always a good or healthy thing to accomplish. Your goal should be to lose fat, and NOT losing muscle.

Before and after pictures, comments and feedbacks from your peers, loose fitting clothing, body fat calculators etc are the true measurement of health and progress.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Omron-Portable-Body-Fat-Analyzer/3342463?sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=3342463

Good easy way.

Generally 10% for a guy is pretty damn good, and about 18-20% for women are generally about the time when you should start seeing a 6pack. few percentage higher is very healthy as well, 25% for a guy and 33% for a woman is generally considered obese.

Also some people have hard time managing their weight, and sometimes this doesn't mean your not healthy, some people just hold onto fat a lot more than others genetically, and that doesn't mean your not healthy either. Cardiovascular health is the most important. Good way to tell is your heart rate, the lower it is, the usually better. Athletes will have lower beats per minute, because their hearts are more efficient at pumping volume.

thank you for your suggestion. i know all about weight lifting. i did it for two years in high school for my junior and senior year. i think if i lose a few pounds i will eventually be comfortable with going to the gym and lifting weights. for now, sadly, that will have to wait. and, to answer your question, i am not a beginner in DDR i am on heavy mode (have been for a couple of years but i am out of practice). i also know that veggies are better for you. i generally try to eat two plates of salad a day (topped with carrot slices, crasins, and red vinega dressing). i wouldn't underestimate the value of fruits though. the diet that athletes were given in my school consisted of fruits such as bananas, K, helps with cramping, oranges, vitamin C, gives you energy, drink plently of water before meals, etc. the workout i am trying, that i have made up myself, consists of stretching every other day, x50 sit-ups a day (will add on more as time goes by), DDR on some days, and rock climbing on the others. i will drink only cold green tea and cold water. eat slowly with less food portions; half consisting of vegetables, some meat on the side and a bowl of soup. i read that eating soup once a day (especially one with lots of vegetables) is very healthy. i think i will continue to eat little sweets. the occasional dark chocolate is good for your health. and, for the midnight munchies or snack, i reward myself by eating a pear or peach or jicama, etc. does this sound good? should i add or remove something?

jam_ggx
09-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Be sure to look here (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=219555) too! :D

thank you for the articles. i will try that metalbolism technique and my mother is already sending a bottle of fish oil (one step ahead you you :p). it seems that theh best way to burn calories is to body build by doing small reps. this was very helpful :)

Kasinator
09-20-2010, 07:30 PM
thank you for the articles. i will try that metalbolism technique and my mother is already sending a bottle of fish oil (one step ahead you you :p). it seems that theh best way to burn calories is to body build by doing small reps. this was very helpful :)

Almost. Lifting more reps is advised to loose weight. 10-15 would be advised.:toothy: I'm also glad you read my stickieez! XD

Shizu dark
09-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not the OP but I find all of the information in this topic useful. I myself am 5'4'' inches and weigh a bit more than you do jam_ggx(about 3lbs more). I am also trying to lose weight and this information has helped me get a idea of what I should be doing/eating to lose weight.

I have a question though, I am a bit of a noob with this work out stuff but I would like to know what other exercises I can do to help me lose weight. Other than running.

jam_ggx
09-21-2010, 10:09 PM
yay! i'm so happy i'm not the only one XD!! i just got done rock climbing and i am going to join my school's rock climbing club. also, thanks to distantarray for the advice, i bought myself protein bars for after i work out (about 9g protein i think). let's see how this goes :)

jam_ggx
09-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm not the OP but I find all of the information in this topic useful. I myself am 5'4'' inches and weigh a bit more than you do jam_ggx(about 3lbs more). I am also trying to lose weight and this information has helped me get a idea of what I should be doing/eating to lose weight.

I have a question though, I am a bit of a noob with this work out stuff but I would like to know what other exercises I can do to help me lose weight. Other than running.

i heard running, swimming, rock climbing, dancing, and doing reps are excellent exercises that concentrate on a full body workout and keeps you lean.

Kasinator
09-22-2010, 11:16 AM

First it's important to knw if you have acess to weights and other equipment. if you do try the knuckle-headed ninja workout in the thread directory. If not, check out the budget zero workout, followed by the generic protagonist workout in the same directory!

Running is just cardio, and that's pretty much all i do for cardio, run in place in between sets, and bike to and from my gym.