PDA

View Full Version : Losing Body Fat Without Gaining Muscle

sandysaur
09-18-2010, 12:05 AM
So basically, I was wondering about forms of cardio that would help me lose body fat without gaining a whole lot of muscle (crossplaying shotas ftw.)
I figured here would be the place to ask, so any suggestions would really be appreciated :D

kraek
09-18-2010, 12:10 AM
If you need to lose body fat, then you're correct about cardio being your best bet. Doing so without gaining muscle is very difficult, if even possible. It all depends on what body part you want your fat to disappear from. If the stomach is the issue, then sit-ups, crunches, and other forms of ab workouts will help to get rid of it.

Archangelz
09-18-2010, 12:34 AM
It all depends on what body part you want your fat to disappear from. If the stomach is the issue, then sit-ups, crunches, and other forms of ab workouts will help to get rid of it.

I'm sorry, but everything I've read about fitness and heard from people who devote a lot of time to working out goes against this statement 100%. It's not possible to isolate an area and just lose fat from that area (just belly fat, just butt fat, whatever it is). Doing cardio is a great way to lose weight but it's going to take it off of everything as your body goes down on it's own, you can't target where those changes are going to happen. When you target a specific area like that you're going to be doing exercises to gain muscle mass there, not always a lot but the point is that you won't be targeting an area and losing weight from that specific section.

RaptorAdapter
09-18-2010, 12:34 AM
You'll need to be disciplined with your nutrition more so than your exercise...but your best bet to avoid muscle growth is lots of running, swimming, jump rope, jumping jacks, or time on the treadmill at least 3-5 times a week.

Any exercise where you're using your own bodyweight will potentially yield muscle growth, so you have your work cut out for you. Personally speaking, I wouldn't be afraid of muscle growth. You have to ask yourself if your goal is to be a "healthy thin" or to be underweight & unhealthy (which is the danger if you're only dieting without exercise)...

Healthy weight loss CAN be accomplished, though, if you lower your daily target calories and make sure you're supplementing with plenty of vitamins & nutrients. Otherwise, you'll just be crash dieting and making yourself sick. I sent you a PM, hopefully you'll find it helpful. :)

Kris

RaptorAdapter
09-18-2010, 12:44 AM
It's not possible to isolate an area and just lose fat from that area (just belly fat, just butt fat, whatever it is). Doing cardio is a great way to lose weight but it's going to take it off of everything as your body goes down on it's own, you can't target where those changes are going to happen.
Good point, although isolation exercises still have their benefits. What's ineffective are moves like crunches that target very limited areas (and with your abs being some of the strongest muscle in your body, it's already resilient to a beating). Instead, you should aim to work your entire core at once.

In general though, you tend to lose fat from your body overall...and if you're especially new to exercise, it can be difficult to predict where you'll lose fat from your body first. That's why a lot of people starting out get discouraged when their results don't always meet their expectations.

sandysaur
09-18-2010, 12:53 AM
You'll need to be disciplined with your nutrition more so than your exercise...but your best bet to avoid muscle growth is lots of running, swimming, jump rope, jumping jacks, or time on the treadmill at least 3-5 times a week.

Any exercise where you're using your own bodyweight will potentially yield muscle growth, so you have your work cut out for you. Personally speaking, I wouldn't be afraid of muscle growth. You have to ask yourself if your goal is to be a "healthy thin" or to be underweight & unhealthy (which is the danger if you're only dieting without exercise)...

Healthy weight loss CAN be accomplished, though, if you lower your daily target calories and make sure you're supplementing with plenty of vitamins & nutrients. Otherwise, you'll just be crash dieting and making yourself sick. I sent you a PM, hopefully you'll find it helpful. :)

Kris

Thanks!
Yeah, I know I'll gain some muscle, and I'm fine with that, since my overall goal is to be healthy.

But right now I'm 5'4 and my weight usually fluctuates around 140 to 145 or so, so I feel like I'll have my work cut out for me just getting to a healthier weight and having a lower BMI.

I'll check it out, thanks :)

RaptorAdapter
09-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Seriously - in that case, meal replacements are your friend. :)

If you haven't already, I recommend learning how many calories you should be eating per day in order to lose weight. If you don't change the way and amount you eat, you will simply be maintaining your current weight.

Drinking a healthy nutritional shake can help you meet your daily caloric total every day while still giving your body the appropriate amount of vitamins & nutrients it needs. I have friends right now who are doing the cleanse I mentioned - but typically, you drink 1 shake a day in place of breakfast or lunch, then eat a healthy lean dinner.

distantarray
09-18-2010, 02:16 AM
few things to point out

1. Spot fat reduction doesn't exist
2. Nutrition is the key in gaining muscle and losing fat
3. meal replacements like slim fast, carnations shake, everything that's not a protein powder is usually crap. super high carbs low protein that actually makes you more hungry in the end. Higher the protein content the longer digestion and healthier it is for the body.
4. take a multi-vitamin, Life force is great it's about $11 for a month supply with 2 pills, it's one of the top ranked multi-vitamins (4/500) and it's not overly priced.
5. take a joint support while working out
6. drink plenty of water
7. make sure your hitting enough calories to stay healthy. Most people hit too low while trying to workout and their progress will suffer. If your working out hard, I wouldn't recommend anything lower than 1,800 for a woman, and no less than 1,500 on training days.
8. BMI is complete crap, under the BMI EVERY athlete is the world is considered obese, if you workout, DO NOT FOLLOW BMI in any form or fashion. Body fat calculators are a good way to figure out the correct %.

kraek
09-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Just one more thing--I can understand where people would contradict my advice, but from personal experience, at least give mine a try :)

BreakerDeeEss
09-18-2010, 05:14 PM
HIIT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training)

This is a good way to lose weight effectively, but like the above posts say "Spot reduction does not exist". Nutrition makes a good 70%+ of healthy weight loss. Hell, if you take away drinking soda/sugary drinks and shift to water, that's hundreds of empty calories taken from your diet which adds up exponentially.

distantarray
09-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Just one more thing--I can understand where people would contradict my advice, but from personal experience, at least give mine a try :)

judging by the picture in your avatar I can say your advice probably worked well for you because your already very slender to begin with, building the ab muscles will help lift the skin around your tummy to look flatter, but that doesn't nessasarily mean it slimmed down either.

also if your looking to lose fat and gaining muscle look at www.simplyshredded.com for great advice, most are fitness models who aim to staying lean and gaining muscle all year round.

Shara-chan
09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm glad you posted this SandySaur, I was looking for similar information! (And yes, I'm also a crossplayer. =P)
Thanks everyone that has replied, I learned a lot from just a few posts. :)

sandysaur
09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
few things to point out

1. Spot fat reduction doesn't exist
2. Nutrition is the key in gaining muscle and losing fat
3. meal replacements like slim fast, carnations shake, everything that's not a protein powder is usually crap. super high carbs low protein that actually makes you more hungry in the end. Higher the protein content the longer digestion and healthier it is for the body.
4. take a multi-vitamin, Life force is great it's about $11 for a month supply with 2 pills, it's one of the top ranked multi-vitamins (4/500) and it's not overly priced.
5. take a joint support while working out
6. drink plenty of water
7. make sure your hitting enough calories to stay healthy. Most people hit too low while trying to workout and their progress will suffer. If your working out hard, I wouldn't recommend anything lower than 1,800 for a woman, and no less than 1,500 on training days.
8. BMI is complete crap, under the BMI EVERY athlete is the world is considered obese, if you workout, DO NOT FOLLOW BMI in any form or fashion. Body fat calculators are a good way to figure out the correct %.

What kind of foods would you suggest that have a high protein content? I don't know very much about nutrition, so I'm not sure exactly how much protein is a lot.

Do you think I could just pick Life Source up at my local vitamin store? I looked around a little online, and I got a little confused, haha.

Oh wow, really? I had no idea. I'm not as freaked out about my BMI anymore then, haha.
Thanks!

This is a good way to lose weight effectively, but like the above posts say "Spot reduction does not exist". Nutrition makes a good 70%+ of healthy weight loss. Hell, if you take away drinking soda/sugary drinks and shift to water, that's hundreds of empty calories taken from your diet which adds up exponentially.

I tend to stay away from soda anyways because it makes me feel sick, but I'll definitely try to drink more water. I've heard that drinking more water alone can help you loose a lot of water weight because of something about your body not holding on to the water because you're drinking so much, or something... idk, haha.

VitaminLSD
07-04-2011, 08:09 PM
1.) What kind of foods would you suggest that have a high protein content? I don't know very much about nutrition, so I'm not sure exactly how much protein is a lot.

2.) Do you think I could just pick Life Source up at my local vitamin store? I looked around a little online, and I got a little confused, haha.

1) basically meats give you highest protein Fish Chicken, being the highest and also very lean next will be beef!!! stay away from pork.... also nuts will be a great source of protein. Also you can purchase pure whey protein check out bodybuilding.com... also eggs, soy, cottage cheese and milk are a great source of protein just be careful with milk because it does also have alot of fat. Drink lots of water!!!!!! also try to eat about 6 meals spead out through a day in small portions until you get all the calories and protein you need. also dont starve yourself!!!!!! as you start working out more, your body will need more calorie intake to sustain itself and be healthy!!!!! also a good rule of thumg is 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.... so if you weigh 150 you need 150 grams of protein daily so keep that in mind..

2) bodybuilding.com great support here, check out the female body profiles..... they will tell you what they ate and what they did to get where they are at and give you advice also.... just check it out.

GL on your journey remember hard work and discipline will pay off!

Somsai
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
From what I was told on a body building website you should take 1g of protein for each lb you weigh. So I'm like 145 lbs so I make sure I get around that much protein in a day. This is what I've been told, so don't take my word for it.

You have to burn at least 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. When you do LIT you probably lose approx. 300'ish, but to be honest as long as you just eat healthy and train hard you'll get what you want. Take your time and be patient and you'll be rewarded in the end.

Disemballerina
07-05-2011, 01:31 AM
You can still do weightlifting to burn calories. The most important thing here is to keep a good diet. You can never get big without eating enough. You will also only get small and fatty if you don't eat enough. To burn fat the most, you'd need to keep a few hundred cals below maintenance while keeping a good intake of protein to preserve muscle. You should first decide what activity, and how much of it, you can do and then tailor everything else accordingly to it.

[A-D-O-R-E]
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I've read as long as you are lifting a couple ounces over your natural weight you can tone and lose body fat with out gaining hulky muscles..

for example just bicep curling and military pressing (lifting over the head, it does the back of your arm/triceps) two water bottles(or even your cellphone) in each hand many many times WILL help tone your arms if you have that jiggle problem. I work in a restaurant and I curl my serving trays, coffee cups, anything I can get my hands on :3

Eventually you would increase your weight just so you aren't doing hundreds of repetitions!

Remember FIT! Frequency Intensity and Repetition!
How often, how heavy, how many!

Midnight Raine
07-05-2011, 05:12 PM
;4031800']I've read as long as you are lifting a couple ounces over your natural weight you can tone and lose body fat with out gaining hulky muscles..

Though this thread is pretty old, I should still point out that this is not correct.

Lift heavy.

PokiethePumpkin
07-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Hell, if you take away drinking soda/sugary drinks and shift to water, that's hundreds of empty calories taken from your diet which adds up exponentially.

Sooo true. A couple years ago, I replaced soda with water, and I unintentionally lost about ten pounds over the course of like 6 months without changing anything else.