PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Selections and Some Other Things

Rainbowgasm
09-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm asking about Fabrics here, so I'm not sure if it goes here or in the Fabric Forum... but it can be moved if I'm wrong... and I'm talking about other stuff too...

I'm either going to be doing
Short (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=ciel+short+dress#/d2kmdyl) or Long (http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii314/ArisCon/Costume%20Refs/Image3.jpg) dress Ciel for AN next year at the end of May, and as I am not all that experienced, I want to get a BIG head start ASAP...

My question is... what materials do I need and what type of fabric should I use?

I was thinking pink silky material, but I know the shinier it is the more difficult it is to work with... so I'm looking for the name of a type of material that is silky but easier to work with for a mostly- newb... and I think I'll go with a cotton blend of some sort for the white parts, and ribbon for the black and red parts... anyone have a fabric name that would work best for this?

For the long version I would plan on using a hoop skirt under it, and a light crinolin (sp?) if needed... but I notice the back had extra... poof... would this be achieved with extra of the crinolin material?

For the short it seems like it would just be a petticoat...

For binding... I am a D cup, so I have to bind for this regardless... but my usual method wont work with the long version that is off the shoulders... so how would I go about binding for this? I was thinking of if worse came to worst I could add over the shoulder straps to hide my binders straps, that still look like they work, but aren't actually accurate... I'd rather have that then visible boobs...

I'm not asking for people telling me I'm out of my league with this outfit because I firmly believe I can do this, and make it look accurate, even if underneath it all its really not... I don't go for historically accurate, I go for looking on the outside like it should and being comfortable... I'm not trying to win a contest here, workmanship or otherwise, just make a costume I can have fun taking pictures with my friends and going to conventions in...