PDA

View Full Version : Evangeline the Firefly: Construction Help!

lovelyYAOI
09-19-2010, 03:10 AM
okay, so recently i have been OBSESSED with the movie 'the princess and the frog' ! (: ray was one of my favorite characters, and so was evangeline! i really thought doing a cosplay of her would be different and fun! i have everything planned out for her... except that giant thing on her butt. yes, her cute little glowing firefly butt. 8D so, i REALLY need some people to help me with creative ideas on how to construct the darn thing. if the construction works well, i am going to try putting something inside so i glow at night like a firefly.

so cosplay.com~! i need your amazing-ness to help me through this one! 8D i have plenty of time to do it, but i want to hit the ball running so i am not freaking about it closer to the convention.

thanks! :heart:

laughingdeath
09-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Er... do you have a picture of what you're planning? Cause.. Evangeline was a star, not a firefly. :\

lovelyYAOI
09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
well, that's the whole point obviously. ^_^;

i was asking how to construct the firefly glowing behind, that what was asked. but if i need a picture i am going to somewhat base it off this with a few tweaks...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/BabyNami/Evangeline_the_firefly_by_psylvia.png

not sure if my definition of what i was doing was clear enough, but it seemed clear enough to me.

o_o

kuramasan
09-22-2010, 06:16 AM
what about a battery operated LED tea light?
http://www.amazon.com/Submersible-Battery-LED-Lights~WHITE~Wedding~Tea-Light/dp/B000VUNXEY
something like that.
Or they also have strings of lights which you could keep in place sticking or sewing the lights into place, not through the wires but around them to secure them in place.

It wouldn't really work if you're making the butt out of a paper material but you could use velcro or something to keep them in place inside to shine through a thin fabric.

Hmm.... also just pondering it but maybe on a site that has what ravers wear. They always have flashing lights which are light and portable.

FireCamel
10-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I once saw a tutorial on threadbanger.com on how to make a butt piece for a steampunk dress. Try searching steampunk there, you might find it useful.

WantonGroove
11-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I think with some sort of coiled wire underframe you might be able to use a nice fabric that isn't too thick, but not quite sheer to stretch a nice outer lining to a big round butt addition. Just make some straps that are either well hidden, or a nice addition to the rest of the costume. And like Kura said, LED lights. There's a pretty wide variety of small portable LED setups you could use. A tealight might be a little dim if you're trying to be a firefly that is actually a star. There are a lot of LED flashlights you could buy that have upwards of 9 individual LEDs grouped into a tight area that shine very brightly. Some even have an automatic blinking effect, which could be nice for being a firefly, since they don't stay lit constantly.