PDA

View Full Version : Tier 10 Priest Shoulders - help!

Winter Star
09-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and not really sure where to post.
Althougth I wish I was going to Blizzcon... We just can't. So to make up for it I'm having a World of Warcraft themed 30th. Basically I have 10 months to make my costume and I'm going for a tier 10 NE priest.
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/october/tier10_priest_female_hd.jpg
(I hope I'm allowed post that link)
Anyway I have a semstress that can make the robe, but I have to make the shoulders myself. I have only ever made minor shoulders and never have attempted anything of this size or nearly as elaborate! I'm done a little research as to what most people use for Blizzcon costumes, but need more tips on attachment and basic starting out info.

I'd just really apprieciate tips on foam vs wonderflex. What is more user friendly for a beginner?

Many thanks -

Ps: I have read Essexs Shoulder Tutorial - very helpful. Just need more info on embellishing & securing and any other tips you might be able to share xx

krystlejo42
09-25-2010, 06:13 PM
The shoulders you see him making on his tutorial, actually are priest T10. :P As far as securing, i'm probably going to be using a chain under the actual top to hold them on. I'll post a pic as soon as I find my camera of what the inside looks like before I add the felt to hide the pink.

Winter Star
09-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks Krystle I'd really like that.
I have sculpted mine from styrofoam. Very messy business! I found I had to remove the botton layer (the oval/cup shape that sits underneath the main structure of the shoulders) I found it restricted too much up and down arm movement :(
I might try and do that lower layer out of cloth with a fine wire frame so that it is flexable.

This is what they look like for now and a preview of the work still to do. My husband is working on the lights & casing for the glowing gem part. I'll start attaching the fabric when I get my gown. I'm going for the red/purple/gold set & I'm going to use stretch velvet fabric I think, since thats what my dress maker is using for the base of my gown. I know I didn't quite get the shape right, but all in all I'm pretty happy with my first attempt.
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/Nats_Belly/Currentstageandpreview.jpg

Pocket X
09-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Man we're going to have some elite costumes this year. Good stuff!

krystlejo42
09-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Muahahaha. Found my camera!

Ok. The insides look like this. One with felt, the other without.
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk454/Ehleonahra/costume017.jpg

I attached them with one string across the back. Like so
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk454/Ehleonahra/costume019.jpg

Since the costume has a V-neck, I couldn't do it the same in the front as I did in the back. For the front, I used 2 strings, criss-crossed them, and tied them in the back. It's really sturdy. :) And completely is hidden in the costume!
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk454/Ehleonahra/costume018.jpg

P.S. Please ignore the jelly rolls. lol. >.< And, I did the strings on the outside of a tanktop so I wasn't being uber revealing. lol. And also, so you could see what i've done. I still need to add the fabric, and finish painting the left pauldron. lol. Hope this helps!

AnimeGamer
09-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Man we're going to have some elite costumes this year. Good stuff!

Of course. Actually, the stuff you guys make for BlizzCon is some of the best costumes I see - most of the costumes I see are far better then the average I see at SDCC.

Winter Star
09-30-2010, 03:41 AM
Krystle - Thank you so much again! Adding the hooks internally is a brilliant idea. Are they just screw hooks? I was little worried about how hot glue would hold out, but the idea of hooks solves my problem.

I have set my LEDs into the shoulders now. Woohoo.
I wish I was going to Blizzcon with you all *cry
Why can't Blizzard do a tour of duty in Australia? :p

Winter Star
10-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey guys - I would really value your opinion & input. I totally understand if you are all too busy with your costumes to reply straight away. I still have over 10 months to get this project done so there's no rush.

Below are images of my shoulders & ribbon progress and a link to what the actual shoulders look like. In the purple set the outer rope is supposed to be more grey and the the embelishments are supposedly a yellow satin. But when I held them up together at the textile shop they just looked... bleh. What do you do, stay true to the ingame colour scheme or go for the more appealing option?

my progress
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/Nats_Belly/Progressonshoulders.jpg

ingame model
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/20956/20956.jpg

On that note, I tried shadeing the embelishments as per the 3D model and it just looked bizzare in real life, hence why I went for a more traditional shading. What do you think? Should I just stick with the actual model concepts?

On the ribbon embelishments I choose a homespun fabric rather then a satin since I couldn't get a nice shade (only light gold or greenish yellow - not good) but the finish is far too rough isn't it :(
Should I hold out for a better satin or continue on?

I will be covering the LEDs hopefully with a resin gem, either way it still needs to be encased in the upper decorative setting. What would be best to craft the setting? Paperclay? And should I glue the red velvet on first, then craft the upper setting over it?

Sorry that I have so many questions. I have tried googling to find more tutorials, but very few people seems to use actual cloth for cloth shoulders. Many seem to opt for paint. I just can't resist the luxurious look of the velvet :p

Thanks again everyone :heart:

Fiendle
10-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey guys - I would really value your opinion & input. I totally understand if you are all too busy with your costumes to reply straight away. I still have over 10 months to get this project done so there's no rush.

I've got a minute that I can try to help with a few questions.

I think your cloth is looking great so far. :) I also think that there is nothing inherently wrong with the cord you chose for the border, just make sure that it fits with the aesthetics of the rest of the outfit, and it's not the only thing in that texture. That is what will make it look out of place, if anything. It's about finding harmony.

I think the main difference between choosing a gray and choosing a yellow for your trim, is that the yellow will really stand out from the gray of the shoulders, whereas when it is gray, it blends in like they're almost one piece. So if you think it looks better to make it stand out and not blend in, then the yellow will be a better option.

Ooh, you know what might be cool? To use some really, really sheer paper or fabric around the glowing areas, to create actual flames. :D

If you're using actual velvet, I warn you now that when it gets wet, it clumps together and dries really crunchy, and looses all of its appealing qualities. Most other fabrics will also have some form of darkening/discoloration when glued. I would advise you do some tests with your fabric before planning on gluing it onto anything or working with anything slightly wet around it. Perhaps you could sew it onto the shoulders (I've found an effective tool when sewing through thick/sturdy material is a pair of needle nose pliers). Or you could back it with a water resistant material that you can sew it onto, then glue the backing to the shoulders.

Winter Star
10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
If you're using actual velvet.... back it with a water resistant material that you can sew it onto, then glue the backing to the shoulders.

That's brilliant - Thanks for the tip, I will definately do that!

I think I may have gotten around my satin embelishments problem. I'm trialing using fabric paint to decorate the ribbons. Just a normal fabric paint for the base and detailing it with metalic fabric paint to add extra umph.... it's very time consuming (90min for half one shoulder ribbon) but I really enjoy it :heart:

Winter Star
10-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Here's how the paint job is going -
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2730484/

Also I have to paperclay over the outer ridges on the shoulders. Will it stick directly to foam and papermache?

moldycheese
11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I used paperclay over insulation foam for my shoulders and it stuck no problem. I just kept my fingers damp and usually smoothed a bit of water over the surface first which seemed to help it stick =)

Maryssa
11-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Moldy: I LOVE LOVE LOVED your costume soooo much. YAY TROLLS <3

Idmaif
11-08-2010, 04:33 PM
@Winter Star:
that priest T10 was one of my scratched plans for this years blizzcon, but it looked too complicated and hard. so you did a great job :D there were quite a few of that costume, last year i went as priest T8 and there were 4 other people with the same costume so i kinda wanted a unique one this year too.