PDA

View Full Version : for the girl who WANTS a little muscle tone!

Thelchterya
09-21-2010, 01:59 PM
I've added Storm (X-Men) to my cosplay list, and to put it lightly, she's fit. Observe:
http://www.blackyouthproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Storm-X-men.jpg

Oooooh, would you look at that six pack! Now I know that in the time frame I'm looking at (five months), getting to look like that is unattainable, but I would love some helpful tips to at least get on the right track. I do live an active lifestyle with dancing, musical theatre, and martial arts, but my diet is crap (hooray for college living!), so I know I need to change that, but is there anything else you could suggest for me? Thanks in advance! ^^

drakeprimeone
09-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Diet is a major factor in getting tone (or more tone). There are many factors to consider before changing how you eat. Your current build, height, weight, how many calories you currently take in, food budget, etc. Assuming you are getting the exercise in, the easiest thing to do is cut out junk food, soda, etc even the smallest change in eating habit will make a difference (try drinking only water instead of what you normally drink). Try to take in meals that are on average 300 calories in total. Using myself as an example I usually go for about 1500 calories a day at most spread over 4 meals and some healthy snacking.

sexytime10
09-21-2010, 04:23 PM
If you want to train your core and work on defined abs you should look into pilates. Pilates with a combination of jogging each day has given me a six pack in roughly 2 -- 3 months. Reply or message me on AIM if you would like me to go into further detail. Also yeah, I agree with drakeprimeone's post.

Thelchterya
09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Diet is a major factor in getting tone (or more tone). There are many factors to consider before changing how you eat. Your current build, height, weight, how many calories you currently take in, food budget, etc. Assuming you are getting the exercise in, the easiest thing to do is cut out junk food, soda, etc even the smallest change in eating habit will make a difference (try drinking only water instead of what you normally drink). Try to take in meals that are on average 300 calories in total. Using myself as an example I usually go for about 1500 calories a day at most spread over 4 meals and some healthy snacking.

Thanks. I'll cut out as much junk food as I can. I know that saying goodbye to the cookies and soda will be the hardest, but if there's a will, there's a way, right?
If you want to train your core and work on defined abs you should look into pilates. Pilates with a combination of jogging each day has given me a six pack in roughly 2 -- 3 months. Reply or message me on AIM if you would like me to go into further detail. Also yeah, I agree with drakeprimeone's post.

I'll look more into Pilates, but I really hate running of any kind. >.< I do some bike riding already; perhaps I could just do more of that?

drakeprimeone
09-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks. I'll cut out as much junk food as I can. I know that saying goodbye to the cookies and soda will be the hardest, but if there's a will, there's a way, right?

Cutting out soda was a huge step for me getting back into fighting shape. I cut it out about 6 years ago when Doctor Pepper was running through my veins and haven't touched it since. I'm about 5'8/5'9 and there was a point that I weighed 205lbs and not the good kind. I managed my diet and got back into training and managed to drop down to 170lbs.

onewingedjade
09-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I love muscle tone. >> I like being able to fit the superhero role and beat up guys. Storm is exciting.

Anyways, college student. There may be a gym you can use there for free...

At mine they have those balls and yoga mats, and I do these leg lift things for abs. Like you put the ball in between your feet, start from a laying down position and lift the ball midway over your body; for a really intense workout, you then grab the ball from that point and lower your legs and the ball over your head, then grab it again with your feet. Omg, if that made ... any sense at all! But it's super intense and doesn't waste time like those damn crunches.

I also use an ab machine thing at the gym.

sexytime10
09-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I'll look more into Pilates, but I really hate running of any kind. >.< I do some bike riding already; perhaps I could just do more of that?

You don't have to run at all, just make sure you do some type of cardio each day, or whenever you can. You can do stationary bike, jump rope, anything. Anything where you are constantly moving and your heart rate is up. Martial arts is exceptional as well, I take martial arts myself :D

distantarray
09-22-2010, 02:14 AM
storm in that picture is NOT a little muscle tone it's quite a lot for a woman, also it is obtainable.... just not naturally... but at the sametime it's more cardio and diet more than anything in obtaining a six pack, ab workouts don't hurt and they'll help, but unless your diet and or cardio is right on track you'll never see it.

Thelchterya
09-22-2010, 09:27 AM
You don't have to run at all, just make sure you do some type of cardio each day, or whenever you can. You can do stationary bike, jump rope, anything. Anything where you are constantly moving and your heart rate is up. Martial arts is exceptional as well, I take martial arts myself :D
I take karate and kung fu and I love it! ^^

storm in that picture is NOT a little muscle tone it's quite a lot for a woman, also it is obtainable.... just not naturally... but at the sametime it's more cardio and diet more than anything in obtaining a six pack, ab workouts don't hurt and they'll help, but unless your diet and or cardio is right on track you'll never see it.

Oh I know I couldn't get that body without a possible side effect of roid rage, so I want to come as close as I can, naturally! So that means no six pack, but if I could get a flatter stomach with any definition at all, that's perfectly fine. :)

Kasinator
09-22-2010, 10:56 AM
well There is one extra option you can try if you really want the six pack, and can't get it despite your best efforts (and I do mean very best). http://www.xtremedesignfx.com/bodyarmor.htm But for those who want to earn their muscle the old fashioned way, I really suggest hitting the weights, and Doing less cardio. You wont get huge, but you will get results. Don't be afraid to eat too if you do want to get bigger. :bigtu:

Thelchterya
09-23-2010, 12:07 AM
well There is one extra option you can try if you really want the six pack, and can't get it despite your best efforts (and I do mean very best). http://www.xtremedesignfx.com/bodyarmor.htm But for those who want to earn their muscle the old fashioned way, I really suggest hitting the weights, and Doing less cardio. You wont get huge, but you will get results. Don't be afraid to eat too if you do want to get bigger. :bigtu:

Ooooh shiny! And expensive! I think I might use it for negative motivation. Like so:

Inner Voice: One more set!
Me: I can't!
Inner Voice: Do you want to wear the body armor??
Me: Noooooo!
Inner Voice: Then do one more set!
Me: Okay!

lol

distantarray
09-23-2010, 02:16 AM
I take karate and kung fu and I love it! ^^

Oh I know I couldn't get that body without a possible side effect of roid rage, so I want to come as close as I can, naturally! So that means no six pack, but if I could get a flatter stomach with any definition at all, that's perfectly fine. :)

well you can get a natural six pack, just not in your time frame :P

dieting correctly NOT starving yourself, and a good solid workout plan that focuses on burning fat will do wonders. Also lift weights before you do cardio helps a lot.

Also if you have a six pack that ripped that means your body fat will drop quite low, and chances of you stop mensturating is possible, and although you won't roid rage if you attain a low body fat naturally, you'll get more aggressive from the increased testosterone and lowered estrogen levels. Her abs are bulging in that picture probably 10% body fat or lower, that'll shut down your ability to getting pregnant for the time your body is that low in fat.

Although if you do drop your body fat that low you'll be able to gain muscle rather quickly cause basically your hormone levels will be on par with a guy. So basically side effects include irrational behavior and thinking about sex 24/7 lmao jk jk well kinda....

http://www.xmfan.com/files/jamie-eason_sexy-woman_201.jpg

This is generally about as low as you can get while staying feminine imo =)

Jamie Eason following her workouts and diet is a good start

also Zuzana on www.Bodyrock.tv

onewingedjade
09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
...I feel like going to the gym after looking at that image XD

distantarray
09-23-2010, 08:51 PM
...I feel like going to the gym after looking at that image XD

http://action.walmartwatch.com/page/-/blog/thumbs%20up.jpg

Kasinator
09-24-2010, 07:45 AM
http://action.walmartwatch.com/page/-/blog/thumbs%20up.jpg

http://pawsru.org/f/src/f36210_ScruffySecond.jpg

Kasinator
09-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Ooooh shiny! And expensive! I think I might use it for negative motivation. Like so:

Inner Voice: One more set!
Me: I can't!
Inner Voice: Do you want to wear the body armor??
Me: Noooooo!
Inner Voice: Then do one more set!
Me: Okay!

lol

This made me laugh! :rofl:

sociologies
09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I love muscle tone. >> I like being able to fit the superhero role and beat up guys. Storm is exciting.

Anyways, college student. There may be a gym you can use there for free...

At mine they have those balls and yoga mats, and I do these leg lift things for abs. Like you put the ball in between your feet, start from a laying down position and lift the ball midway over your body; for a really intense workout, you then grab the ball from that point and lower your legs and the ball over your head, then grab it again with your feet. Omg, if that made ... any sense at all! But it's super intense and doesn't waste time like those damn crunches.

I also use an ab machine thing at the gym.

I added the leg lift thing you described to my workout routine, and my God, it really doesn't waste time and it really is intense after doing xx amount of them. I love it, though! Thanks for describing it here. :bigtu:

sociologies
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a quick little tip to offer: making yourself into a human table. It really works the core and helps slim the waist, and my goodness, it hurts so badly after trying to maintain it for five minutes or so, but it is an easy (no equipment needed!) thing to add to a workout routine. But man, it stings.

The things I do for cosplay, I swear.

gurren_chick17
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
k for all the poeple saying girls CANT get a six pack that is also false. i happen to know a girl with a six pack and she isnt any body builder. i go to a Crossfit, a really great program that gives you a basic foundation of physical fitness that allows you to go at your own pace

but since your at college i doubt youll be able to access one, so you could at least google Crossfit and research their "block" nutrition system. it takes a little extra planning, but the diet leaves room for occasional slip ups.

however the only way for a girl to get a six pack by natural means without building too much muscle is to really manage you diet (like most people have said) to a point where you have very LOW body fat %. you have to be really careful because it is easy to go overboard

hope that helps!

drakeprimeone
09-24-2010, 08:38 PM
k for all the poeple saying girls CANT get a six pack that is also false. i happen to know a girl with a six pack and she isnt any body builder. i go to a Crossfit, a really great program that gives you a basic foundation of physical fitness that allows you to go at your own pace

but since your at college i doubt youll be able to access one, so you could at least google Crossfit and research their "block" nutrition system. it takes a little extra planning, but the diet leaves room for occasional slip ups.

however the only way for a girl to get a six pack by natural means without building too much muscle is to really manage you diet (like most people have said) to a point where you have very LOW body fat %. you have to be really careful because it is easy to go overboard

hope that helps!

My wife and I do cross fit! Love it :bigtu:

distantarray
09-25-2010, 01:23 AM

hope that helps!
Never said she couldn't get a 6pack but the 6pack is wayyyyyyyyyyy too exaggerated in the picture of Storm, that's definitely not going to be in the realm if not right on the border of making a woman stop menstruating. The body fat will have to get very very low risking triggering more testosterone production and lowering estrogen in the process. If you do trigger it your six pack quest will get a lot easier, but generally most women try to avoid.

gurren_chick17
09-25-2010, 11:23 PM
@distantarray I agree I guess I misunderstood your post :3 sorry :)

distantarray
09-26-2010, 12:15 AM
@distantarray I agree I guess I misunderstood your post :3 sorry :)

np <3

onewingedjade
09-26-2010, 05:27 AM
I added the leg lift thing you described to my workout routine, and my God, it really doesn't waste time and it really is intense after doing xx amount of them. I love it, though! Thanks for describing it here. :bigtu:

No problem! I look forward to seeing some of your cosplays. I considered She-Hulk for awhile; I'm pretty lucky in that if I put forth the effort, I bulk up pretty easily.

sociologies
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
No problem! I look forward to seeing some of your cosplays. I considered She-Hulk for awhile; I'm pretty lucky in that if I put forth the effort, I bulk up pretty easily.

Thanks! And yeah, I can understand that. I'm somewhat similar, except in that it's easier for me to build and define my arms than it is to define my legs, which are pretty "thunder thigh"-y. Luckily, the main reference picture I'm using (the Adi Granov rendition), I don't have to have stick-thin thighs. Just reallllly nicely toned arms.

fushizen
09-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Cutting out soda was a huge step for me getting back into fighting shape. I cut it out about 6 years ago when Doctor Pepper was running through my veins and haven't touched it since. I'm about 5'8/5'9 and there was a point that I weighed 205lbs and not the good kind. I managed my diet and got back into training and managed to drop down to 170lbs.

That is so reassuring! Dr. Peps also practically runs through my veins (what is it with that drink?!) and I'm going on a Dr. Pepper strike on Tuesday.
Soda can be such a main offender when it comes to gaining weight >.<

onewingedjade
09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Mmm, I don't want to make a new thread for such a minor thing, but I find I have a layer of fat that simply won't seem to go away. I may need to be patient but I'm wondering if it might be an easy fix.
With a few exceptions I eat pretty healthy, I do some cardio (not a whole lot), and a lot of weight training. I feel like I don't know how much to eat because I've heard you need to eat (and well) for the whole weight training thing, but I might be overdoing it! :x Do you think that's the issue? I can see results, it's just ... slightly hidden. (also if it matters at all, I'm vegetarian)