PDA

View Full Version : Dance Dance Revolution

Savi-Chan
09-22-2010, 05:06 PM
So after reading a few threads on how people want to stay in shape I can relate and sympathize. I was never motivated to go workout at the gym, eat healthy and all that. It just didn't work no matter how hard I tried, but then I realized something that's fun and a great work out,

Dance Dance Revolution

I am dead serious, if you play for an hour a day on work out mode or even just game mode, repeatedly doing songs, it really turns into a work out. I wanted to lose 5 pounds and I did by just doing a few things, here is my list of what I did.

1. When you wake up, do 50 crunches before you sit up. It not only burns calories but also helps to wake your system up.

2. Do a few stretches before you hit the DDR mat

3. An hour of DDR on a faster mode is a better workout

4. If you feel hungry or thirsty while playing, resort to a bottle of water or a healthy granola bar!!

5. Take a hot shower after playing! (You'll be all sweaty and it's a good relaxing feel after)

6. When you're laying down to go to bed, do 50 more crunches. (5 minutes of crunches=500 calories gone!)

7. Don't have late night snacks, because when you sleep you're not burning them off and that equals weight gain.

If you feel still no motivation or you just can't do it, get stickie notes, write motivating words on them and stick them where ever you go.
For myself I wrote on my computer; "How long are you going to sit here?"
For above my bed; "Did you do your 50 crunches?"
On my tv; "Did you do your DDR workout?"

I assure you it worked for me, it can work for you! Good luck.

AleriaCarventus
09-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Additionally, if you suck at DDR and can only play on low levels (like me), but they don't get your heart pumping - use your dance pad to play a fighting game. My favourite is Soul Calibur, and it's super fun and really gets your heart rate going.
PS: I saw you in your bunny costume at AE - I don't think you need any help!

Rhazia
09-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I remember a friend playing Soul Calibur on a dance pad and winning. haha

500 calories in 5 minutes? Pff, I wish it were that easy. Also, doing crunches in your bed is cheating. lol You sink into your matress a bit and it shortens the motion. The springs can also bounce you up making them easier. If doing them on carpet is too uncomfortable, throw a blanket down or spring for a cheap yoga mat. But ya. Doing them on a flat surface will give you better results.

Anyways! love ddr. Playing a song on heavy/expert between sets just about kills me. It's great cardio. 'specially songs with a lot of jumping.

avskull
09-22-2010, 06:54 PM
its easy to cheat in ddr on heavy but pump it up on crazy mode will make you burn more then 2x as much calories. its not that the sight reading is harder its that there no way to avoid candle steps.

Kasinator
09-22-2010, 06:59 PM
So after reading a few threads on how people want to stay in shape I can relate and sympathize. I was never motivated to go workout at the gym, eat healthy and all that. It just didn't work no matter how hard I tried, but then I realized something that's fun and a great work out,

Dance Dance Revolution

I am dead serious, if you play for an hour a day on work out mode or even just game mode, repeatedly doing songs, it really turns into a work out. I wanted to lose 5 pounds and I did by just doing a few things, here is my list of what I did.

1. When you wake up, do 50 crunches before you sit up. It not only burns calories but also helps to wake your system up.

4. If you feel hungry or thirsty while playing, resort to a bottle of water or a healthy granola bar!!

5. Take a hot shower after playing! (You'll be all sweaty and it's a good relaxing feel after)

6. When you're laying down to go to bed, do 50 more crunches. (5 minutes of crunches=500 calories gone!)

7. Don't have late night snacks, because when you sleep you're not burning them off and that equals weight gain.

If you feel still no motivation or you just can't do it, get stickie notes, write motivating words on them and stick them where ever you go.

we do have several threads discussing this aleady. but also cardio and abs should not necessarily be done every day.

Please please please check before you post this stuff. ok? :) I know you mean well the stuff you think you know is often misinformation. I know it sounds weird, but it's true! Just take a look at the thread directory. :bigtu:

A lot of the things you said are very practical, such as notes, the importance of stretching, showering off, and I can tell you have a lot of good info! But the things on eating less, and doing daily crunches are definitely not advised. so let me just suggest a few changes to your original post:

crunches should be done 3 times a week or less - contrary to common belief spot fat loss is a gross myth. to get the abs, you got to do cardio (that's where ddr comes in). ab exercises should be based on the type you want. Toned abs need high amounts of reps several times a week, or low heavy reps once a week.

Eat right! NOT LESS- Eating less is unhealthy, especially when exercising.:eek: To prevent a really lengthy lecture here, just read this (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=215689). when you read it you will learn why you should....

Eat before bedtime! - you read that right. just read the nutrition link above. It will make sense I promise!

Finally suggest the other exercises featured here for resistance exercises and yours for good cardio.

Thanks for your contribution. :) I'm sorry If I sound mean, I just want people to be informed ok?

irriadin
09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Some good advice here! Let me add a bit, since I've been using DDR as a method of working out for a while now.

1. If you're not that good at DDR, you're going to have to practice the mechanics before you'll be able to use it effectively to stay in shape. One of the mistakes beginners seem to make frequently is putting your weight on the foot that is pressing the arrow. Don't do that, put the weight on your other foot to ground yourself, which will allow you to switch from one arrow to another much easier. Also make sure that you don't use the same foot to hit every note... you want to be able to hit left notes with your right foot, etc. Just keeping playing and practicing until you can do standard/difficult songs.

2. Once you can handle at least standard / difficult mode, you're good to go. Your "set" of songs should contain a few songs you can easily handle, a lot of songs at the skill where you feel you belong and then a couple that you can just barely pass. Try to make your set of songs like this...

1. Easy (Warm-up)
2. Moderately Easy
3-6. Moderate
7-9. Moderately Hard
10-11. Hard
12. Moderately Easy
13-18. Moderate
19-21. The hardest songs in your set, in increasing difficulty.
22-24. Moderate to moderately easy.
25. Easy (cool-down, I usually pick a marathon-length song)

For me, 8 foot constitutes an easy song, 9-10 is moderate to moderately hard and 11-12 is hard. You'll have to determine your own skill level and adjust your workout accordingly.

3. If at the end of your workout you are not sweating profusely and you didn't feel out of breath at least once, then it was too easy!

4. Try to do your workout about five times a week.

Some other things to consider: your pad and what you're wearing when you do DDR.

The Pad:

The pad can be your worst enemy. If you're going to use a soft pad, then be prepared for a certain amount of slipping, and for the pad to fly all over the place as you do harder and harder songs. The best soft pads are ones with foam inserts. This gives you more support and makes the pad slip less often. Unfortunately the best manufacturer of these types of pads is no longer around, but if you search ebay for Red Octane Ignition pads, you might be able to come across one. I really have no recommendations for soft pads beyond that.

If you're really serious about DDR, there's no substitute for the Cobalt Flux. It's a metal pad, it's extremely durable and it sure as hell isn't going to move while you play on it. The downsides? It's expensive, and it takes a while for you to get one, as they are each custom made and tested. A Cobalt Flux will run you anywhere from $250 (if you're really lucky) to the standard MSRP $300. Shipping will run you about $50. And it generally takes about 3-4 weeks for you to get it once you order it. But let me tell you, it's totally worth it.

What to wear:

You should wear loose-fitting clothing. I generally wear a t-shirt and some baggy jeans or shorts. Anyway, that's the easy part. The most important thing to consider is what you have on your feet. If you're playing on a soft pad, you can't wear shoes or you'll quickly destroy your pad. It's personal preference, but I prefer to play barefoot on soft pads, as that gives me some more traction vs. socks.

If you're playing on a metal pad like the arcade or a Cobalt Flux, don't ever play barefoot or you WILL regret it! The best kind of shoes to wear are the lightest, best-fitting pair you can find. Lightness is important because the heavier the shoe is, the more unwieldy you will be, and when you're trying to do crossovers at 300 bpm, you will be cursing yourself if you're using combat boots ;) You want your shoes to be very close to perfect fit, otherwise if they're too big, your feet will slide around inside, setting you off balance. If they're too tight... well... it won't be comfortable to do an hour's worth of DDR in them.

That's about it!

distantarray
09-23-2010, 05:46 PM

Dance Dance Revolution

DDR has always been a good way for people to loose weight, adding anything into a routine will help you become more active and losing calories even in lower settings if you compare to a completely inactive lifestyle will be huge, but the intensity must go up as you progress.

It's probably not a bad idea, but with the bed it can be easy to cheat like already mentioned and could cause back discomfort after a long time with springs probably pushing against certain pin point areas over time. Although if you have a temperpedic mattress it might be better.

Faster isn't generally better all the time, to break plateaus sometimes it's better to do intervals meaning mixing up difficulties to like saying your walking, running, jogging, sprinting in random orders, this will also help you go for longer periods of time and also burn more calories.

If you feel hungry or thirsty, drink and eat period. Granola bars are good but generally not too filling cause of lot of extra sugars added by companies who pre-package these. Also drinking ice cold water can help you speed up your metabolism cause it forces your body to work hard to re-heat up your core, but generally should be avoided during exercise cause it can often cause cramps.

Never get into a hot shower until you have cooled down completely. Here's why: While you're working out, your blood circulates to the muscles you are using. During your cool down, your blood begins to circulate more evenly throughout your body. Hot water makes the blood come to your skin's surface. If you get under hot water before you've cooled down and have gotten the blood flow back to normal, your blood will be confused. It will rush to your skin, suddenly leaving the rest of you without enough to work normally. You could faint as a result. The shower is not a great place to faint. You could easily crack your skull, break another bone, or drown in the shower. Now that is embarrassing![/quote]

[/quote]

Even if you run for an entire half hour at 9mph which is hard to do for almost everyone it's going to be hard to burn 500 calories, if 5minutes = 500 calories 6minute abs would be the only system out there and there would be no pot bellies in the world XD I think it'd be funny if it did work cause McDonalds would probably have areas to do 5minutes of crunches before you eat a Big Mac :D

Avoiding late night snacks is one of the biggest myths into leading a healthier lifestyle.

Like train in route to a destination your body constantly needs fuel to burn, to get it safely there you will need to be constantly pumping fuel into the engine. If you run out of fuel your body will actually turn around and cannabalize on it's own muscles to repair the muscles that was damaged. Kind of like if a Train runs out of fuel people have to resort to breaking pieces of a train off to reach the rendezvous point.

Yes at first your body will resort to breaking down fats initially, because it has plenty of it, but if your body fat % is low enough where this is your natural weight (always a certain % that people's body likes to hold) that it will start to break down muscle fibers as a prime source of fuel.

That's why eating right before bed is recommended. Generally if your looking to lose weight AVOID CARBS before bedtime unless you workout late when your body can a lot of carbs to replenish it's glycogen levels. Pre- and post- workouts simple carbs are better, so if you have to eat a chocolate cake it's best to do here.

Powerbar makes powergels that are basically packets of cake frosting, and gatorade makes G1 series which is carbs and b12 vitamins to "ignite", power gels are generally for endurance athletes for during / after, rock climbers are generally huge fans of power gels for the instant boost of energy.

Bodybuilders use Casein protein which is the dominant protein in milk which curdles in your stomach into a cottage cheese consistancy in your stomach for it's slow digesting properties can take anywhere from 4-6 hours to digest, and many bodybuilders actually set an alarm clock for 4 hours to wake up and drink another shake and go back to bed. This shows you that you won't get fat but help retain muscle mass.

Remember muscle isn't a bad thing, not only does it help you create more endurance and strength it also helps you burn a lot more calories. Don't be afraid to put on 5-10 pounds of muscle, chances are you'll look a lot better and healthier and you'll ever realize.

Best forms of motivation for me are before and after pictures, and best if you take pictures everyday kinda strenuous but if you can keep up with it and do a time lapse video it's amazing motivation. Also if your ever too tired and lacking taking a good pre-workout like White Flood will get your butt straight out of bed and to the gym within 20-30minutes. (warning extreme energy and focus incoming, do not take within 8 hours of bed first few times you take it if you do try)

I understand why a lot of things have worked for you, but then your already in good shape, but if someone were to follow your directions as right now people would have hard time losing a lot of weight while staying healthy. I'm not here to bash or critisize but take it as a place to learn more about your body and healthier habits.

It's like Bruce Lee said, it's not about what you can learn, but what you can throw away. If someone gives me advice I'll look into it, and if another method is better then I'll throw away the new. Remember just to keep open minded and focused on your goals, hopefully the things we've said don't deter you from trying to help people or staying on track to a healthy lifestyle.

Regardless of anything don't listen to some random posters on an online forum, I encourage you to look through other places as well and read a lot ensuring that the information that we're sharing is all accurate. Sometimes even the most knowledgable people in the industry will still have myths and misconceptions.

For example even the best bodybuilders often fear soy protein cause it contains a compound called phyto-estrogen, and many people believe lactic acid is a bad thing but recent studies have shown to be otherwise.

The human body is vastly uncharted territories and unknown, and still people are learning and forced to relearn everything.

If you ever reach a point where you think you know everything, then your just kidding yourself. Open your mind and keep it open, just try to make sure if you help someone your giving them solid advice, cause bad advice can be easily carried down from person to person easily, and before you know it you could have injured and effected hundreds of people in a single lifetime.

daylight
09-23-2010, 06:02 PM
oh my gosh! a week ago I just thought of doing this too!!!!!

I was sitting on the couch and my eyes fell on my old dance pad that I haven't used in years

im always reluctant to work out in public, and I dont like to go for walks, because I dont exactly live in the safest neighborhood

ive been doing an hour a day for the past week and im starting to louse weight, and get into better shape
:3

its fun, and you get a dose of nostalgia hearing all those songs lol

I dont know how much weight ive lost because I haven't weighed myself, but im sure that it's working :)

xDriftxQueenx
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
When I've stayed -consistent- with DDR I've lost weight and I'm a fairly heavy player. However I sort of disagree with rushing off to buy one of those expensive pads, unless you have cash to waste. Most of them [metallic] are poorly designed with [i.e. woods, screws, etc] and can really disherten you.

I've used those roll up pads, sure I get a few tears over the years, but they last long and all you need is socks! C: Save yourself some money and just buy in bulk if anything.

Yunalicia
09-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Personally, I used THIS (http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/contributor-article.php?postID=7890244) tutorial to mod my soft pads so they would last longer and I could pound the crap outta them. I did this 6 years ago and my pads still work perfectly. It cost me about $80 for the cost of both pads and the modification. I felt it to be a much better investment then a metal pad and i have TWO of them.

The other thing I wanted to put in here is if you can play doubles, do it. It`ll burn more calories because you are forced to move your centre of gravity.

zssfanxxx
09-29-2010, 10:47 PM
This is very helpful !!!
Thank you ~