PDA

View Full Version : Batman's Cowl: Need Help

Hanzo187
09-25-2010, 10:09 AM
All right, a while back, I made a cowl for Batman using a balaclava as a base. Unfortunately, the cowl (especially the ears) looked like crap. The ear were worst because I had no idea how to do it. I cut two slit on the cowl, then stitched on two pieces of fabric, and it looked wretched.

I was hoping someone knew of a better way. I'm gonna use Lycra spandex for the new cowl so there's plenty of stretch to it, but is there a way of getting the ears on WITHOUT stitching on additional pieces? To put it bluntly, I'm looking to make a cowl in one piece, ears and all.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Minder Thr33
10-21-2010, 09:36 PM
If you really want to stick with cloth, then leave openings in the ears so it can be stuffed. I'm guessing that was the issue with the ears with something like Crayola's Magic Mold.

Vetis
10-25-2010, 06:15 PM
I've done a good amount of solid headpieces, and I dun think the fabric cowl will really get the sharp, defined look the Bat tends to rock... what I would recommend is my method, get some aluminum wire mesh from a craft store, fairly reasonable for a roll, and use it to create the shape of the cowl. I'm a huge fan of Crayola's Model Magic, used it for my revamped Witch King, Mumm-ra, and my Rose mask, and it's rather easy to work with, no mess, crumbling, and it air dries into a really dense foam-type material. It does shrink a bit when it dries, so if you're building over a wire frame be generous. The shrinkage shouldn't be a major problem.

If ye still wanted to do a fabric version, make a headband or something with wire-model magic pointy ears on it and have them poke out. Just my two cents X3