PDA

View Full Version : Making Garments for Kamina.

SilverCollie
09-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm creating this topic to discuss the Trousers, belt and Cape for Kamina from Gurren Lagaan.

I have only recently taught myself sewing from Patterns and with the help of very kind owner of my local fabric shop. While Im confident I have the abilities to make these, I have little experience outside of following the given instructions on patterns. This will be my first attempt at making an entire cosplay from scratch. I'm going to brainstorm what I think I need, but any corrections or advice would be appreciated.

For the trousers I think I could use a trouser pattern(albeit im not sure which of the many available) to make a pair that sit slightly above the waist line out of black Linen or a linen mix, make the red stripes around the bottom out the same type of material and sew them on. As for the belt, im sure Making one isnt a practical idea so I would have to find one and make Belt straps for the trousers to fit the belt. Finding a belt with that has the holes and is long enough to go around my 32" waist and be tied into a note is a problem.

As for the cape, I've heard that you can get patterns for fancy dress capes, however I haven't found anything suitable. I could cut out the fabric for the torn appearance, but im not sure what the best way to adjust the color would be, nor how to attach the symbol on the back of it.

Kaminas design thought the entire series isnt very consistent, so Im useing a sinple PVC model to base my designs on:http://www.giusepped.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/kamina-gurren-lagann-eye-up-giusepped-com-01.jpg

Same model, but from behind: http://static.hlj.com/images/sit/sit00209_2.jpg

I know Ive asked a lot in this topic, but any input in any areas would be appreciated.

Fricken Hamster
09-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Do you have any idea how to make the collar?

I'm doing Simon and I need to make his collar stand up too.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/gurren_lagann/simon-adult.jpg

Tampopo_Hoshi
09-26-2010, 09:27 AM
For the pants, I'd say save your time and just buy them. Black pants are easy to find. For the red stripes, I just cut out strips of red fabric and glued them to the pants. You can ales sew them on.
I got lucky with my belt. I happened to have. One just lime his laying around, but it was too short. So I cut the one I had in half and lengthened it but by gluing it to a section of a karate belt. So one section of my belt had no holes, but it's not really noticeable.
Fort first cape, I drafted my own pattern. It came out a little to short, so I am redoing it. Since it's Halloween time, you can buy one of those cheap vampire capes as use that as a pattern. Use interfacing to make the collar stand up. I learned that a little too late.
For the skull design, I drew it on paper first, then used that drawing as a template for cutting it ot of felt. I then glued that onto he cape. You can also paint it.
For the tattered look, I've read that a wire brush will help. I just went at my cape with scissors.
Hope that helped.