PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Heroes

Nevernaut
10-05-2003, 09:05 PM
Yay for themed costumed parties, right? Except, what if you have a theme that everyone is excited about, but several people don't know how to do? What then, I ask you?

So the idea was tossed out to be orginal pulp heroes at this costume party. Now, this is finally and excuse for me to finish my Lobster Johnson-style leather jacket, but my friends are at a loss for apprapo inspiration. We can only have some many folks in Doc Savage style shredded shirts and long Shadow coats, you know? And the girls don't no what to do.

So, any ideas for some 30's to 50's era adventure garb?

BayushiKachiko
10-09-2003, 05:40 PM
30's to 50's, huh? Could you elaborate a bit? I'm not super-duper familiar with pulp heros, but I'm pretty good at researching real quick, LoL.

BTW, is that orb in your pic for contact juggling?

Nevernaut
10-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Pulp heroes are kinda superheroes before there were superheroes. They didn't wear spandex, and didn't have outlandish powers like heat vision, or laser hands. They were also darker, and a. little more morally grey than, say, Superman. Most of them time they were just really smarter, or stronger, or tougher than the enemies they faced.

Doc Savage was just tougher and smarter--but to an amazing degree-- while the Shadow had that whole "clouding mens minds" thing going for him. G-8 just had a plane (which was cool enough in the thirties), while the Avenger, being technically dead, could litterally rearrange is face to look like someone else. And then you have Tarzan, the ape man, and Flash Gordon, the space man...

There's modern pulp heroes, too. Indian Jones, the Rocketeer, Brendan Fraiser's character in "The Mummy" movies. Does that help any?

So yeah, approproate globe-trotting wear for a hero or heroine who might live in the 30's (prefered) but up to the fifties (one guy is coming as a beatnick from another dimension; he's got a character planned out and everything). My friends keep asking me for help, but beyond leather jackets and rayguns, I'm a little stumped.

And yes, it's for contact juggling. That was my publicity pic back when I was part of a sideshow. I can stick 12G needles into my arms and face as well.

BayushiKachiko
10-10-2003, 02:10 AM
Ooooh, duh...I gotcha now. Hmm...that is a little tough. Sorry if this sounds a wee bit stupid, but wouldn't Dick Tracy stuff fall into that category too? He didn't have powers or anything, but had a few cool gadgets...plus, the villains were kinda neat. And what about that one man and woman duo? The Avengers, I think? They made it into a movie 'couple years ago, had Uma Thurman and Sean Connery...

That's kind of an awkward time period, ne?

Err....12G needles into your arms and face? Why does that sound unpleasant? LOL I just started CJ myself...having some trouble with it, but then again I am known to be a bit klutzy, heh.

Nevernaut
10-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Dick Tracy, yes. I tend to put the Avengers in a class by themselves, but I suppose they fit the bill, despite being very '60's. Certainly as much as say, Buckaroo Bonsai.

As far a research goes, yeah, the time period is a bitawkward. I can find plenty of images of fabulous movie star gowns, but nothing you would save the world in.

Contact juggling is like any other sport, really. You just have to keep practicing until the muscle memory takes over.

Nevernaut
10-31-2003, 12:55 PM
Yay! Finished my jacket!

Here's what one pulp hero looks like, anyway: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=91754