PDA

View Full Version : Unoffical BlizzCon 2010 Events

AnimeGamer
09-30-2010, 04:05 AM
Due to annoying javascript forum errors, I have moved the list over to my personal blog for the time being until a forum mod can figure out what's up with my account or BlizzCon arrives.

List is currently here. (http://fatallycurious.blogspot.com/2010/10/unoffical-blizzcon-2010-events.html#more)

Tonksie
09-30-2010, 09:40 AM
From what I heard, the fountain has been torn down. I think people were talking about making it on the grass in front of the hilton? Not sure though.

Pocket X
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Lol, actually the "Wind-down" is mainly for cosplayers and their handlers. I don't think Hilton would appreciate two afterparties in the course of 2 nights.

We will try and keep it fairly low-key, just a few drinks and chatter really.

Ayabi
09-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I have updated the BlizzCon 2010 (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=216344) OP with official large gatherings. I will add to it as more plans are finalized, such as the time and location of the cosplay gathering on Friday. If anyone wants to contribute an event, feel free to post it in that thread or send it to me in a PM so I can advertise it :)

brb, copypasta-spamming active threads (which seems to be a recurring theme in this forum).

Syrinx
09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
that saturday night after party sounds fun. all are invited?? cuz it sounds like something my boyfriend and i would like to partake in :)

essex1984
09-30-2010, 07:08 PM
The after party is very Un-official, there for every one should show up and enjoy a great time. It will last till about 1am ish or until the Hilton throws every one out due to noise complainants. Very good times!

essex1984
09-30-2010, 07:16 PM
also wanted to toss this out incase any one had some little ones with them,

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/special-events/mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/)

This is Disney's Halloween party and you are allowed (and the only time some one 9 years or older) can be in costume in the park. It is a separate ticket for an addition $50 over the price of normal admission. Just thought i should throw it out to the cosplayers.

Ayabi
09-30-2010, 08:17 PM
that saturday night after party sounds fun. all are invited?? cuz it sounds like something my boyfriend and i would like to partake in :)

That party is basically "Let's all hang out and get crunk because we can." If you want to hang out and get crunk, go. After some friends of mine came back early due to a close encounter with projectile vomit, I told myself I wouldn't go to one of those. To each her own. To be honest, go to the legit Hilton bar party if you want to meet people and wind down after the con. It's a much more enjoyable scene if you're looking for something other than LET'S GET WRECKED, GUISE. It still has your booze and schmooze -- and considerably less twelve-year-olds trying to become binge drinkers.

If you're into freebies and a party party without the lamers who can't handle their liquor, hit up the WoW Insider party on Thursday. They have some sick prizes to hand out this year (not like a lawlt-shirt at best) and awesome guests are coming :3 (p.s. There's food.)

Pocket X
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I have to defend the afterparty because the people who run it do an amazing job keeping it cool and keeping Hilton from kicking them out (These people sacrafice p having a good time themselves, so people can party). I hardly had any issue with people being "overly drunk" at the afterparty. In fact the only time I ran into a drunk was actually down at the Hilton bar where I was promptly saved by fellow cosplayers. Though I did like the bar area better during the afterparty...It's kind of all one thing (pool-area/bar-area).

Yes there will always be party people where ever you go. The WoW Insider party was kind of painfully crowded last year. I had to leave to get fresh air, which disappointed me because I <3 WoW Insider to boot. :( I can imagine it will be equally crowded this year unless they find a bigger venue.

You'd be disappointed not to go to any of the gatherings though, because this is where you get to meet some amazing people and have a blast.

If you're a more quiet type I actually suggest the smaller gatherings, like the after contest wind-down at the Hilton bar. Mellow can be just as fun as party bashes. To each their own.

dreadpirateandy
09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
For the record, I saw no less than a dozen people puking at the "mellow" Hilton bar on Saturday night. I wouldn't call it mellow one bit. I think it's probably a function of when you go, rather than where you go. After party and Hilton bar will be mellow early in the evening and crazy later at night. Obvious statement is obvious. More time that alcohol has been available means more people have reached their limit, or shot past it.

Friday night will have the truly mellow get-togethers, Saturday night will have the crowded parties at the Hilton. Go to the next-door Marriott for a mellow Saturday night.

Pocket X
09-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Friday night will have the truly mellow get-togethers, Saturday night will have the crowded parties at the Hilton. Go to the next-door Marriott for a mellow Saturday night.

So true! xD We stayed at the Marriott last year and it was peaceful as day. Actually surprisingly nice to stay at for a hotel though. A++ for comfort and relaxation level.

Ayabi
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
For the record, I saw no less than a dozen people puking at the "mellow" Hilton bar on Saturday night. I wouldn't call it mellow one bit. I think it's probably a function of when you go, rather than where you go. After party and Hilton bar will be mellow early in the evening and crazy later at night. Obvious statement is obvious. More time that alcohol has been available means more people have reached their limit, or shot past it.

Yeah, I was at Denny's (my personal after party usually involves friends, french toast, and hot tub time) while the mass-horking took place. The Hilton party was fine while I was there. I left when the drunk randoms started filtering in. I'm not saying they all came from the pool after party, but a couple did while I was there (probably kicked out of the pool party, didn't catch the details). Others got drunk in their rooms and decided to come down and make friends by making a mess all over the place. Expect "mellow" for the first hour (when I usually make my rounds), but only stay late if you're cool with drunks (or want to be one) because the Hilton bar is open to the public. I only stated things as I did because I've been to both parties, and the Hilton bar was definitely more chill in comparison. Puke is, indeed, inevitable wherever you may go if alcohol is present.

Pocket:
WoW Insider does have a larger venue and they hope to accommodate everyone this year, as Mike explained: "We have lots more room. We weren't expecting as many people last year, but we have the entire place this year :) "

Pocket X
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Pocket: WoW Insider does have a larger venue and they hope to accommodate everyone this year, as Mike explained: "We have lots more room. We weren't expecting as many people last year, but we have the entire place this year :) "

Fantastic! Can't wait then, the people from WoW.com are all beyond generous. Note to self, must buy Amanda Miller a drink or something... Maybe I shall draw her a special comic.

Nozze
10-01-2010, 07:31 AM

Think of your normal, typical crowded party scene. To expect anything different would just be silly =P It gets pretty crowded with ages varying all over the place, and the majority are drinking. I believe it starts at the pool until the pool closes, then it moves inside to the lobby, then up to hotel rooms, then people are eventually kicked out due to noise complaints. So, if you and your boyfriend are into Greek-style college parties, then I'm sure it will be fun for you.

There is also the www.jointheraid.com pre-screening (you have to win tickets for it, details are on the website) that takes place that night as well. That's what I'll be doing for the first few mellow hours of the party, fortunately or unfortunately. ;P

AnimeGamer
10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Sorry I haven't updated the front post - for some reason the board is deciding again to give me issues in editing posts. Only happens on my main computer too - it's really odd.

Anyway, whenever I can get to fixing the first post, I'll add in clarifications on the descriptions as well as more parties/gatherings/meetups such as the Fire/Ice event going on Friday that im hearing about as well as the Twisted Nether Blogcast meetup. I'll also list The Raid movie screening as well.

And a fix to the forum BB code. >_< (Still having editing issues...)

Syrinx
10-01-2010, 11:08 AM
lol well, i personally don't even drink. my boyfriend is very much into the "greek" style parties though. that wow insider party sounds cool though, too... so much going on! i'm so excited, this is my first blizzcon and i don't want to miss out on anything!

AnimeGamer
10-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Just making this post to apologize to everyone about what happened to the list. I have no idea why the cosplay.com forums are giving me javascript and 404 errors when I try to edit any post and it goes past a unknown number of lines of text. Anyway, I'll be keeping the list updated over on my blog (something I kinda didn't want to do, but what oh well) - and hopefully if my account or whatever gets fixed, I can bring the list back over to the front post here in this thread.

Pocket X
10-17-2010, 02:29 AM
FYI to those who have not seen the change... The Cosplay Dinner Meetup has changed locations to the Jazz Kitchen.

See here http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=117447998311578 and here http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26859150938&sid=1

Idmaif
10-17-2010, 11:35 AM
why are there so many parties that go through the time of blizzcon? i personally dont want to miss a single minute of blizzcon while im there, ill go out for the cosplay group picture though.

i am probly not going to even be at california that much anyway... probly driving down thursday night, staying at my cousins house for the night in palm desert, then getting up at 4 to go over to the convention center friday morning, pick up the tickets that morning, staying for blizzcon and then driving home saturday night after the afterparty maybe :P i wish i could stay longer

i do have a question for people in costumes on friday morning... i am leading a meetup for this site im a moderator on (blizzcon2010.com) and i said i would just get in line around 6:00 AM and people could come find me... but im wondering for other people who wear a costume, is it a good idea to walk around the line and meet other people because its more fun, or should you just take your spot in line so you can get in fast? i want to have fun and meet people in line, but i want to get in early if im going to be waiting in line so long... can i have my dad just save me a spot in line while i go off and party?

Reformed Tomboy
10-17-2010, 12:49 PM
i do have a question for people in costumes on friday morning...

I walked around until the doors opened last year, and then went in for seats for the opening ceremony. In my experience, people give you more leeway because you're in costume. I wouldn't worry about having your dad hold your spot, I think that'll be fine. To be honest, I don't even recall standing in line last year, I think I just walked right in.

birdyface
10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
FYI to those who have not seen the change... The Cosplay Dinner Meetup has changed locations to the Jazz Kitchen.

See here http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=117447998311578 and here http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26859150938&sid=1

Sadface, I've been so engrossed in getting my costume finished that I missed the deadline for dinner reservations. Ah well, hopefully showing up at the wind-down drinks is okay even though I won't know anyone.

Pocket X
10-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Sadface, I've been so engrossed in getting my costume finished that I missed the deadline for dinner reservations. Ah well, hopefully showing up at the wind-down drinks is okay even though I won't know anyone.

We reserved an extra couple seats for that reason. Don't hesitate to show up, just let us know by FB or Blizzcon forums that we need to add you into the extra seats.

Wouldn't want people to miss out. :)

birdyface
10-17-2010, 01:41 PM
We reserved an extra couple seats for that reason. Don't hesitate to show up, just let us know by FB or Blizzcon forums that we need to add you into the extra seats.

Wouldn't want people to miss out. :)

Well, I'd need to bring my handler with me as well. I don't want to take up spots that people who already signed up for may need for handlers they forgot to include in the initial reservation.
I'll sign up anyway, but if there aren't enough spots I'd rather they go to people who've signed up before the deadline.

Also, do you need a pass for Disneyland to be able to get to the new meet-up restaurant?

essex1984
10-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, I'd need to bring my handler with me as well. I don't want to take up spots that people who already signed up for may need for handlers they forgot to include in the initial reservation.
I'll sign up anyway, but if there aren't enough spots I'd rather they go to people who've signed up before the deadline.

Also, do you need a pass for Disneyland to be able to get to the new meet-up restaurant?

Maybe I read your reply wrong, but you threw me off when you referred to your "friend/boyfriend/what ever relation" as a handler. Thursday meet up is street clothes, no costumes aside from a wig maybe. And it is in a part of Disneyland where any one can walk to. I believe its referred to as Downtown Disney.

Like Pocket said, let us know if you are and how many your bringing and we will do what we can. Very few restaurants will tell people to go away :)

birdyface
10-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Maybe I read your reply wrong, but you threw me off when you referred to your "friend/boyfriend/what ever relation" as a handler. Thursday meet up is street clothes, no costumes aside from a wig maybe. And it is in a part of Disneyland where any one can walk to. I believe its referred to as Downtown Disney.

Like Pocket said, let us know if you are and how many your bringing and we will do what we can. Very few restaurants will tell people to go away :)

Hah, yeah, sorry about that. I figured I would refer to him as 'handler' as he is not a cosplayer and he will be my handler during the times I'm in costume (and I can't leave him to sit at the hotel while I go out and have fun on Thursday evening).

Tonksie
10-18-2010, 09:48 AM
about the fountain photoshoot... if it's raining outside, any thoughts on if/where we are going to relocate it?

Pocket X
10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
about the fountain photoshoot... if it's raining outside, any thoughts on if/where we are going to relocate it?

I would assume inside the front lobby if they don't kick us out... But I'm hoping it won't be raining... Hoping.

AnimeGamer
10-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Im sure they wont kick people out of the lobby for the gathering if it rains, though maybe we can relocate to the Hilton main lobby if they do kick everyone out. The main issue becomes getting everyone in the picture, since im sure there will be at least 30+ cosplayers minimum, and without that extra standing room tier, it gets really hard to squeeze all the cosplayers into the picture.

Reminds me of the time 100+ Naruto cosplayers showed up for one of the SDCC Naruto cosplay gatherings. The cameramen where roughly 20-30 feet back just to get everyone in the picture.

Maryssa
10-19-2010, 01:54 AM
There's a pretty big open space next to the big staircase in the lobby of the con center. I've done photoshoots there before, I'm sure we can scout out foot traffic in that area to see if it's open enough.

Pocket X
10-19-2010, 03:07 AM
Photoshoot scheduled for 2:30 to 3:30 PM at the fountain before the contest. Make sure you check in at guest services before the photoshoot.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27026380319&sid=1

AnimeGamer
10-19-2010, 03:40 AM
List has been updated - also, still can't edit the OP post with the list. I'm thinking of removing all the BBCODE out of the post and see if I can get it up on the fourms and hoping that will work. That'll be something I'll have to try tomorrow morning.