PDA

View Full Version : CCS Dress question

Daala
10-17-2002, 12:06 PM
This might have been asked before, but what are good patterns for card cap Sakura dresses?

My sewing skills have improved this last year and I think I'm ready to make a ccs outfit.

any help would be wonderful ^_^

Sakura
10-17-2002, 10:37 PM
There's a good Alice in Wonderland style pattern at Jo-Anns, and if you doctor it up it could work for 2 of her "alice" style costumes. I made the costume from the episode with the Little card and that pattern worked great

Koumori
10-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Right.. which dress do you want to do? They're all pretty different in terms of fabric, cut, etc.

Space Invader
10-17-2002, 11:54 PM
I agree with Koumori, we need to know which dress/dresses you want to do, or the general look of it. What I can say though, is that manymanymany of her dresses will need a ton of crinolines to get it really poofy.You might want to invest in some of those, or try making your own. I'm pretty sure they have patterns for them, especially in the "re-enactment" sections.

Koumori
10-18-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Space Invader
You might want to invest in some of those, or try making your own. I'm pretty sure they have patterns for them, especially in the "re-enactment" sections.

I found buying some to be well worth it if it meant I didn't have to gather for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and HOURS AND HOURS. :) I got mine on ebay - they're the square-dance type. Super-fluffy and soft.

I can think of a couple of Sakura outfits that don't have the puffy skirt thing, too.. the one with the cute little bat wings sticks in my head, and I think that one would be some kind of lycra/spandex blend.

Daala
10-18-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm trying to recreate >> )[This one] (http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.att.ne.jp%2Ftheta%2F pare%2F102.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2) (btw this a japanese site and they had the best photos. but I'm just looking for a pattern starting point.

Koumori
10-18-2002, 12:48 PM
If it were me, I'd take a good princess seamed dress pattern fitted through the waist, and then flare out the skirt into something close to a full circle. You'll definitely need petticoats with that one.

Space Invader
10-18-2002, 04:15 PM
>You'll definitely need petticoats with that one.

Oh yes. Bust out the netting, sister :).

That looks like one of the easier outfits to do. You shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

Miaka No Baka
10-20-2002, 12:25 PM
I made that costume and let me tell u, it's EVIL the epitome of evil! First of all I guess it started with the fabric I chose I guess. It was $3 a yard not bad but it stunk to high heaven. In fact I think it still smells. No amount of fabreeze would get rid of it. I store the costume wrapped in bounce sheets and I think it still smells. =( 2nd I got a princess seamed dress and made it flare out. How I made this costume was I made 3 dresses; 2 purple and 1 yellow. You don't see the yellow on the inside of her dress. So I made all 3 no problem and then it was time to alter the 1st purple one to have that cut out shape. Not too hard I turned the edges under a bit and sewed it to the yellow layer then I made the 1st purple one shorter than the yellow one in the back and on the sides. sewed that down to the yellow one. Then I put all 3 layers together. sewed them up together around the sleeves and neck. Turns out the thing is too big eventhough I went off the measurements on the finished pattern not the guidline measurements of what size should fit you. And it was kinda short X_X I bought LOTS of white satin ribbon. Cut it so it had the triangle shape. Believe me you'll never find an exact pre-made trim to match hers. I had to put tons of fray check all down the cut edge so it wouldn't fray. sewed that into the hem seam woo dress is done. Next moved to draft a pattern for the white thingie. That was done pretty easily. Sewed on a yellow pannel and inserted some fisingline with an eye attached so I could attach the eye to the star. tacked the fishingline down with hot glue on the inside. The white thing is 2 layers so you dont see hems and seams. I put some velcro at the edge so it'll open and close off of me. I then sewed more of that ribbon I cut in the neck opening so it'd have the right look as hers. Then came the capelette thingie. Another 3 layers went into it. Then came altering the top purple layer to make it so it had the right designs. And adding more fishingline to put the stars onto.
The hat was the same thing I kinda drafted that I made 2 comma shaped pieces one had a hole in it the size a little larger than my head then I sewed to it the white and yellow part and that's how I did the hat. The Stars were evil! I bought these styrofoam stars they were perfect for this but when i painted them the paint came right off! I don't know why but I'm guessing it's cause they have some sort of coating on them. I scuffed each star up a bit to see if that'd help it didn't really but I figured as long as the stars didn't touch eachother I'd be ok cause when they touched they'd stick together and when you go to pull them apart that's when the paint would come off. The boots. EVIL ! I found perfect purpley spandex followed a method of cutting enough to fit your leg etc... they were looking good when I started to trim the top hem since it was too long and somehow part of the leg got caught in the scissors and cut a hole in the boot ;_; I ghettoly fixed it but you can still tell. I then used yellow fabric and some elastic on that and more of the white ribbon. and it was done.

Overall the costume is too short. Was a pain in the @$$ to make and I winded up not liking the costume at all. This costume was worn once at AX 2001 but never again =(

http://blake.prohosting.com/cactuar/cosplay/costume7.html

miaka no baka

Daala
10-21-2002, 12:28 PM
hmm, thanks for all the tips. I think I have an idea where to start, the only reason I wanted to make this one .... is I have the trim from another outfit I made a while back.

btw Miaka No Baka, I used the same stars on my cousins sakura wand and the paint was fine once you added a primer and then the paint.

^_^ wish me luck...heh