PDA

View Full Version : AniMe WEeKenD AtLaNtA X (AWA 10)

AKuMA G0
10-06-2003, 12:29 PM
This is the new thread folks, so make it nice & clean.

AWA 10...
anyone going...?

Carmila
10-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Isn't it a bit early to be planning for AWA X? I mean it isn't like we are talking a major con here!

scandia
10-06-2003, 03:19 PM
It IS a major con indeed. At least to us Dixie folks.

Only 54 weeks left (if I counted correctly).

Anyhow, I found out that I do not have comps that semester. So as long as there are no Saturday classes on that day, I WILL be able to attend AWA X.

I already checked out the hotels (I will be staying at the same one I stayed this year- totally worth it) and am planning my costumes as well.

The AWA message board has quite a bit of talk going on about next year's ball. You all should pay it a visit.

Jehuty
10-06-2003, 04:17 PM
...........A-K-U-M-A! it is a little early for the thread ~_~() however, yeah it's not to early to start planning.

Ragresen
10-06-2003, 04:50 PM
No plans to attend AWA X. AWA IX was enough to turn me off from it. As to it being a major con it is really a small con and if you want to attend a major con that would be the Con that falls normally 3 weeks before AWA in Atlanta.

musica heart
10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
I for one will not be attending, no no no.
The con in my veiw does not really give a poot about the cosplayers at all.
This was my first and final AWA as far as I am concerned...and if the con wants to get a better rep...they will have to re build from the ground up.
The only plus that i found was the closed judging session.

AKuMA G0
10-06-2003, 07:47 PM
...........A-K-U-M-A! it is a little early for the thread ~_~() however, yeah it's not to early to start planning.

heheh, isn't it a bit too early for you to have over 1200 posts in a short time?...JK :thumbsup:

anyways... people please, dont brag about not going to AwA next year.
if you're not going then dont go; just keep it to yourself.
some people enjoyed AWA and some didn't.
so please dont post any kind of disappointment event that happened to you in AWA9.
to me AWA9 was great
even though the hotel and securities were a bit pushy it was still goin';
elevators, the rooms, and the crowd were all right.
those didn't bother me at all.
you people are just whinning your @$$es out not having enough comfort given' to you at the hotel then you start bragin' & posting about not going next year
you think that'll make you a cosplayer saying "i'm not going to that con cuz it sux!"
you're a fudging cosplayer, you're the one that decided to go there not the con.
anyways... Yeah to me AWA was fun.
as long as i'm not complaining, i'll still go
the only thing i complained about was having to sleep in the sofa for the whole weekend... :untrust: ...but that didn't really bother me at all either cuz i'm not there to sleep in the sofa, i was there to have fun(accent -error-)
so if you dont like it then ....
drink a glass of water :drink: then bounce:bouncer:

Ragresen
10-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Ok just to be clear on my comments. I am not returning because over all AWA just did not hold for me things that makes it worth it for a whole weekend. I am local to Atlanta and can afford to be picky on the con. The cosplay was good, the hotel was good, but I was just turned off by most of the folks who attended it. MAny just seemed really rude towards others. Now I am not saying do not go if you want to. Just saying I do not have plans to attend it again is all. I am also not saying that I did not have fun at AWA this year, but that was having fun with friends and seeing the cosplay. Beyond that I was just not impressed is all.

AKuMA G0
10-06-2003, 08:35 PM
dude, we know how you feel just dont brag about it.
people are unique, we have our own offenses and defenses, but we just gotta keep it rollin' (sh*t, what am i saying...)
anyways...you should at least try it again next year
it'll probably be different, then if it turned out same as this year's, then i guess say sayonara AWA.

Carmila
10-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Akuma, I have been to 7 out of 9 AWAs, and let me tell you, with the age this con is, it could be much better. I would have to say like AWA 7 had to have been the best. They had a good thing going then, and I am not sure what happened.

Also, we are not "bragging" that we are not going to AWA this year. Those of us who will not be attending for the weekend are just merely stating the fact that AWA has lost it's luster for us.

Some of us who have stated that we are not attending, may just go on Sat for a few hours to look around, and not spending the entire weekend.

Hikaruchan
10-07-2003, 11:20 AM
I agree that AWA7 was about the best of the 5 I have gone to, but with a con of its size and years of existence - I expect a lot more than getting. We couldn't even raise enough interest in the con to make a club outing this year - and that will probably be the case in the future also.

AKuMA G0
10-07-2003, 12:33 PM

musica heart
10-07-2003, 05:08 PM
the cosplay topic i was refering to was the part that dealt with going up on stage. In total including judging cosplayers were cramped together from 6- almost 11
I know we are very blessed to even be able to go to these cons, but I think that if they re arranged things a bit AWA would be more popular.
My last comment about "building from the ground up" was a tad rash, but still changes should be made.

Wolf_Angel
10-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Dont worry Akuma I am with you I plan on going to AWA 10, I do agree that out of the like 4 cons Ive gone to AWA 7 was my favorite, But yall should try complaining to the director and what yall think wasnt up to scratch, go to the AWA message boards and go under complaints and sugestions and have at it, I would like to see alot of improvement but ya know its not like some of us have a chance to go to other big cons, some cant afford it and some just dont want to. Dont bash AWA I mean yeah it might have big flaws but they were switching over hotels and alot of other stuff, just if ya didnt like it dont put your complaints where somebody who has never been will read them and think "Damn this con has to suck everybody is bitchin about it" and not go without even knowing, like all of you have said that you did have some form of fun. Oh well breakfast time! >^_^< bye yall!

-Bunny

Hikaruchan
10-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Actually at the feedback session at the con of AWA8, a friend and I gave feedback. I also gave feedback on the forums - and got very snide comments back from a staffer. Not the way to keep attendees if you just blow them off or make smartalec comments.

Wolf_Angel
10-08-2003, 05:15 PM
I never said they would be nice I have my share of problems with the conitself and the staff, but I was just saying you should try to fix it instead of just giving up thats the only way it will ever improve. ^_^

AKuMA G0
10-09-2003, 12:31 PM
yea i'm with you Loki..

Himemiya
10-12-2003, 05:13 PM
The major problems i had with the con was no night-life, and video-room changes without notice. I wish the video rooms would be open all night, or at *least* past midnight.

Skullez
10-20-2003, 03:56 PM
it depends on where i live when next year rolls around.
ill eather live in Florida, Arizona, California or Illoinise.
heh big decisions to make. mostly for college ill be starting next year.
and if i stay in atlanta it depends if i have school.

but if i do go ill be doing the artist alley again =^.^= !

livvylove
02-09-2004, 05:22 PM
I would like to go. I live in augusta but i dont really know of any other anime conventions close by.

Ruby-Chan
02-10-2004, 12:32 AM
i don't know if i will go or not. mostly because of the staff.(i've talked to many of the main staff including the co-director and a few other high ups about suggestions for future AWA's) i found they were very rude and took the opinion of their attendees to be nothing but shit. especially in the no cosplay contest thing. con's much much bigger than awa hold cosplay contests no problem...i don't see why they make it seem like its the most impossible thing in the world.
i might still go, just because it close to me and its better than no con at all. as for the security and everything...i think its way overdone, but if thats what they feel they need to do, than whatever.
and as for "bragging" about not going or going...the quesion in the topic of the thread was

"AWA 10...
anyone going...?"

so ppl are just answering that question, yes i am, or no i am not...dont get mad at them for answering a question and explaining their reasoning behind it.

makio
02-10-2004, 01:19 AM
I can't say I'm as eager as Scandia to go to any AWA from this point on, given the lackluster effort and entertainment offered. Yes, the hotel selection is a major reason (in the past) why I was turned off from the con... which isn't the staff's fault, but if they're offering a particular hotel as its official temporary residence for congoers; I can only hope it's at least 3-star decent.

However, they can be blamed for the event itself. On the staff themselves, I could easily go into rant all night about that. But this isn't a flamewar, nor a bash-AWA thread. To those who still want to go to AWA, I hope you enjoy Atlanta; because I really can't give positive recommendation in majority over the negatives toward AWA. Personally, I keep my fingers crossed and hope that the convention does a complete overhaul-180-degree-change from activities to some of the folks on their snide staff if they wish to continue gathering interest. It's pretty harsh to have the most negatively spoken-for, USA based anime/cosplay convention in the region of my residence. Especially since the Southeast doesn't have much exposure for its costuming/anime interest as is, it won't help the genre or the community as a whole to have this upon us. Yes, I was so irked upon returning home from the last AWA I attended that I frankly couldn't care if they continued on or not... but I figure if they're out to appease the fans(and continue gathering profit from fan attendance), they'll change up or disband.

As for not having a costuming & cosplay contest, I can respect that decision given the name of the very convention is ANIME Weekend Atlanta; but they should realize that the drawing factor of a lot of anime conventions IS costuming and meeting up with people who also costume & cosplay. It's a hard selling point to someone who doesn't live in the immediate Atlanta/Georgia state area to drive more than an hour just to pay $40 to see anime they could've bought from eBay or saw on TV. Or hell, they could even spend that same dollar going to other Southeast or national conventions that would offer all of that and more.

Indeed, it's a bit early to talk about AWA travel, costuming and attendance plans. Moreso for me, because I'm not convinced at all by them or by their programming schedule enought to make me venture to the con. If things change, yes, I'll give it another shot. I really would like to see AWA eventually turn to be a big attraction again, but it doesn't look likely.

-=Faust_VIII=-
02-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Me myself and I liked Awa and the only few problems was the lack of stuff to do at night, I have an horrible sickness called "Con-sickness" and I end up not sleeping at all :s, The staffers were a bit on the rude side and security was a bit much. Overrall this isn't enough to stop me from going. I really can't afford going to a massive con and AWA is close enough to where I can access it easily. I'm going this year no doubt, I loved talking to new people and having the whole con experiance. v_v' I'm sorry if it makes anyone mad but what can you say? AWA is AWA and if it's gonna change it's up to us. Be presistant at what you want.. That's all you can do I suppose... ^_^'

Cactuarsama
02-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I wasted to much money to try and get up there cause i heard that it was the biggest con in the south east, and it sucked, the staff was way too rude during the costume contest and i there was way too much drama, so im not going back

PeanutProduct
02-15-2004, 02:13 PM
I guess since I haven't been to any other con, I can't really say how I'd rate AWA to any other, but we were there all weekend and I didn't come into contact with any rude people. Everyone I talked to [not that many] was pretty nice, didn't have any problems with another attendee or someone working at the con or a hotel worker. Sorry that so many people had such a bad time.
The things I didn't like much was the elevators being so crowded and the video rooms' schedule changing, but it wasn't so bad.
But since I think that's the closest one to me and I did have fun, I'll probably be going this year.

-=Faust_VIII=-
02-17-2004, 06:29 PM
As for the security.. This was the FIRST time the con was held at that this particular hotel. You gotta give them a break. Their adjusting and so are we. As for scheduling it's still a matter of them trying to accomadate to us. Don't Raze on Awa just cause the costume contest wasn't as fun as you'd like or the staff was too mean. I haven't heard anything good about the con except from a few people. If you wanna talk about how AWA 9 sucked then go somewhere else cause I'd like to hear the good things. It's alright to critique the con but the whining about it is slightly annoying. Sorry if I offended anyone it was not my intention but you gotta break a couple of eggs to make an omlet.

kitsunered
02-17-2004, 06:40 PM
I wasted to much money to try and get up there cause i heard that it was the biggest con in the south east, and it sucked, the staff was way too rude during the costume contest and i there was way too much drama, so im not going back

Who on earth told you that?! *blink* There's a convention in Atlanta that actually is the largest con in the Southeast, but it's not AWA.

However, I've gone to three AWA's in the past and haven't experienced any real problems. I'm local to Atlanta and I and my friends agree that AWA is a con that you can pretty much do in one day. It's awfully small and doesn't have enough to interest us for an entire weekend. They could definitely use with expanding their programming.

-Kits

Cactuarsama
02-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Who on earth told you that?! *blink* There's a convention in Atlanta that actually is the largest con in the Southeast, but it's not AWA.

a friend of mine

kitsunered
02-17-2004, 06:57 PM
a friend of mine

I'm sorry they gave you incorrect information and you didn't have a good time. :(

Ruby-Chan
02-18-2004, 04:37 AM
well, if i lived in georgia, i would probably still go, just because i love cons in general. but since i live in florida (and about 8 hours from atlanta) its not really worth it. maybe if my finances improve and there treatment of the fans, i'll try another one. i would never tell someone else not to go. i just don't think i'll be going myself.

RandomFanboy
02-18-2004, 08:41 PM
I guess I'll go... I guess I'll make a Squall costume, even though my Rinoa bailed on me (yeah, she bailed on me- like 7 months in advance... oh well, better than last year when she decided not to go the day before the con)

AKuMA G0
02-18-2004, 10:48 PM
As for the security.. This was the FIRST time the con was held at that this particular hotel. You gotta give them a break. Their adjusting and so are we. As for scheduling it's still a matter of them trying to accomadate to us. Don't Raze on Awa just cause the costume contest wasn't as fun as you'd like or the staff was too mean. I haven't heard anything good about the con except from a few people. If you wanna talk about how AWA 9 sucked then go somewhere else cause I'd like to hear the good things. It's alright to critique the con but the whining about it is slightly annoying. Sorry if I offended anyone it was not my intention but you gotta break a couple of eggs to make an omlet.

^exactly. :bigtu:

"AWA10, anyone going?"

answer it, rate it, criticize it; but dont brag about it.

1. "i'm not going cuz it sux"
2. "i'm not going cuz it's small"
3. "i'm not gong cuz my head hurts"
666. STFU (http://clarkson.edu/~wirkusf/stfu.swf)

Carmila
02-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Mine would be a number 1. I may just go on Sat for a few hours to see some friends and wear some costumes, but that would be it.

Hikaruchan
02-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Mine would also be number 1
If I go again, it will be because someone offered me cheap room space.

keri1966
02-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Number 1 also.

Kevi-Sama
02-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I myself have never been to AWA but my girlfriend has been to the last 2 and she loved it, and has convinced me to go too. so assuming i can find the pics i need to make my costume, i'll be there.

Shastar
02-23-2004, 06:40 PM
I have attended only two Awa's: '96 and '97. Both years, I could say I had fun, but not because of the con itself. it was mainly because I had my friends with me and we kept each other entertained.

After the con, I sent some costructive critisizm of the con of my own and forwarded some from a friend of mine that was at odds with a couple of the staffers, so he wished to remain anonymous. The posts were professional and nonthreatening in any way (well, my friend called Patrick, the then video programmer, an asshole, which he is^_~ but that was it) What I got in response was derisive flames and belittling comments (along the lines of, 'You've obviously never staffed a convention before, so how about SHUTTING UP!" Got that one directly from Patrick) and it ignited a flame war that lasted for a good two years.

Also, the convention staff is intentionally rude to the attendees (Their treatment of Cosplayers, a major portion of their attendance is one such example), and they think they can get away with it because they have a 'captive audience' because of their status as the only anime convention in Georgia. Another Example: During Anime Hell a couple years ago, they were cutting it close to starting their Midnight Madness (or whatever it's called) block on time. When one of their tech crew went and asked Cap'n Dave what time it would be starting, he grabs a mic, and ridicules the crew member by saying, 'This moron just asked what time does midnight madness start. F*CKING MIDNIGHT!" They are unprofessional, they are rude, and they are not worth wasting money on.

Sorry, I'm ranting. Short and sweet of this is, AWA didn't impress me the two years I attended, and EVERY report that I've heard back every year since is that the only reason to go is for your friends, NOT the con.

Reccomendation to avoid. But hey, it would only be the cosplayers that don't go, so it woudl be more reason for them to party.

Hikaruchan
02-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Actually, a lot of my friends who didn't go last year are not cosplayers but AMV makers. So, its not just cosplayers who are getting turned off and looking for another con.

-=Faust_VIII=-
03-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Well I'm going reguardless of all the recommendations.. The only two cons I can make it to this year are AWA and Animazement for I am poor and those seem to me to be decent enough. AWA 8 was my first con ever and I enjoyed, the staff left me alone and I hung out with people that I met. It seems no one wants to go to AWA cause of the staff, well Take everything with a grain of salk, me dear old granny used to say. I have friends that are really close to Dave and they said that he's planning on doing some new things, I'm not sure if it's really gonna happen since the con is like... 6 months or so away so their still planning it. Since I never really have been to a "big con" I would make the assumtion that it would be very crowed and people would act rude, that's what I get from it. Smaller cons are a o.k to me..

PeanutProduct
03-05-2004, 04:29 PM
That's how I would think a really large one would be too. Not so much rude people, though I'm sure there would be, but that it would be too crowded. I don'r mind being in a large crowd for a little bit, but it just wouldn't be as much fun to me I think if I spent a bunch of time in lines or trying to walk from one place to another [I always seem to the have the people who walk slow and then kind of wander back and forth so you can't get around at school]
But all in all, I'll take whatever's closest. :p

-=Faust_VIII=-
03-08-2004, 03:47 PM
God I don't even want to go into lines! Imagine if you don't pre regester!! o.o That line would be ungodly..

Nightmare
03-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Im going cause its truly the only con that i would be able to go to that is more than a couple hours away. Now I know its not the best con out there, but you guys shouldnt bash it the way you do. Maybe if you had friends like I do, that makes the con fun... even if the staff is a bunch of asses... and that is all that I have to say about that, I'll be back on in about a week or so...

-=Faust_VIII=-
03-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Yay Nightmare ^_^ Thank you for the positive comment.. Something that seems to be lacking in this forum.. And you too peanut1

Amelia Seyruun
03-14-2004, 01:40 AM
I'm going this year. I went to AWA9. For the most part I had fun, but not as much as I thought I would. But that was my fault. I didn't wear a costume, I didn't go with friends, just my sister, I didn't go to as many events as I had planned, and being the shy type of person I am I didn't interact much with everyone. But like I said, that's my fault and even with all that I had fun, and I don't intend to do any of that stuff this year. Of course it was the only con I've ever been to, but I had no problems with the staff, I didn't interact with them however. This is really the only con I'm able to go to, so I really don't like it when people speak ill of it, it makes me think my time there will suck And if I think that it will suck. This is the only con I'm able to go to, mainly because of the location. I live in Mississippi, so you can imagine how many cons there are in my area. And it was hell just getting my dad to drive us there. He has a thing against everything Japanese, he even tried to bribe us not to go. But in the end I went and had a good time dispite the flaws, and I intend to go again and I will have a good time!
Alright I'll shut up now.

scandia
03-14-2004, 07:10 AM
I already bought the ticket and reserved my hotel room. This is the only con this year that I will stay at a hotel for, and one out of two that I will go to for more than one day.

Nightmare
03-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Just wait till the con this year. Me and my friends have something special planned that'll make everyone happy. It's a skit, but not during the contest as you may think, were doing it Saturday morning. At least,... I think that we will still be doing it. I know I am, just depends on how many of my friends will be able to come.

PeanutProduct
03-18-2004, 04:03 PM
I didn't go to as many events as I had planned, and being the shy type of person I am I didn't interact much with everyone.

I did the same thing. I'm really shy, so I didn't strike up any conversation. This year I'm probably going alone, so I'm going to have to talk to people I don't know. I'm going to go as Maleficent for a Kingdom Hearts thing on Sat., so if you see me, come and say hi :p

Foxborn
03-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I may be going, although i'll have to work like crazy from now untill then just to get enough money, because i'll have to pay for it myself no doubt, without any help from my parents. But I'll try my hardest to go, because a certain friend of mine will kill me if i miss AWA again. Oh, and i have no positive or negative feedback for AWA because i haven't been to it before.

darkfirewolfe
03-24-2004, 10:10 AM
I'll probably go, just because i live like 30 minutes away and so if I'm not having a good time, i can just go home.

But I probably won't enter the cosplay contest and depending on what theme they decide for the ball this year, I may or may not go to that either.

PeanutProduct
03-24-2004, 03:08 PM
I think they decided on roses for the theme. They said it was going to be really strict, making sure everyone wears clothing formal enough. Sounds like it's going to be very pretty with all the roses.

darkfirewolfe
03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
yes, I just checked out the message boards about that. It does sounds like it going to be very pretty this year....i think I may have to go :)

Entropy
04-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Oh man, all of these negative comments about Anime Weekend Atlanta. Iím new to this whole Coning thing and that was one of the Cons that I was looking forward to. Iíve never lived close enough to go to a Con before (or had the actual knowledge about them) and now that I live in Atlanta, I thought the simple plan would be to go to this Con. Now I have massive doubts. I mean itís going to be like my first Con experience. Actually, if everything goes right, I will be going to Dragoncon (I think thatís it) first, which is just before AWA. Iím hoping to have a Legend inspired goblin costume made by then; isnít Dragoncon less anime inspired? Thatís why I didnít want to go as Rock Lee or something; I was saving that type of getup for AWA. But now with all of these bad vibes about AWA, I just donít know.

Foxborn
04-03-2004, 10:43 PM
You should still go anyway and form your own opinions about it. I know lots of people who love AWA and look forward to it each year.

Ragresen
04-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Entropy: I recommend you go atleast once to any con to make up your own mind. AWA is just not my kind of cona nd I will leave it at that. I will warn you through that Dragon Con is very large and it is a con where any costume goes. You will see a lot of Sci-fi stuff and movie stuff at Dragon Con. Also You cannot judge or compare any con to Dragon Con as Dragon is sort of in its own world in what it is like. But again if you want to go to an all Anime Con that is close to home try AWA and make up your own mind.

livvylove
04-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Does anyone live in Augusta and planning on going to AWA? Im trying to find some people to get group tickets with I only need 2 other people and I need to know by the end of this month so anyone in augusta wana contact me.