PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Learn a Split

musable
10-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Well I want to make a Ty Lee costume from Avatar the last airbender. I tend to be very flexible. I can do cartwheels and handstands but i can't do a split. I would really like to be able to do one for picture purposes.

Any advice?

daylight
10-06-2010, 12:20 AM
stretch every day, and turn out

distantarray
10-06-2010, 12:45 AM
warm up with a light jog then stretch out it takes months literally of dedication no real way around it. Over stretching is bad at times too so careful

Chirudesu
10-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Here's how I learned:

Get on your knees with one leg straight out in front of you. Slide that leg forward until you have to put your hands on the ground and you feel a stretch in your groin/back of your legs. Push yourself, but don't hurt yourself. Hold it for 1 minute. Again, don't hurt yourself, but you should feel some effort. When the minute is up, don't rush back into comfort or swish your legs in quickly, slide your leg back up. You can end up tearing something if you rush, like a rubber band.
Do that everyday and push yourself a little further every week and you should be able to do it within say, a month or less.
Remember to keep practicing after you've learned, and to the other leg too.

Cloudsofsand
10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Doing a split isn't something you can generally do IMMEDIATELY, it takes some time to do a FULL split. If you want to do a split then you need to stretch everyday (meaning do splits everyday) and gradually over time you will get lower and lower and closer and closer to doing a full split. Just remember, don't try and over stretch your self because that can cause some pain, discomfort, and damage if you aren't careful. Patience and dedication is the key.

drakeprimeone
10-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Well there is always this method...

http://www.vandamme.ru/photos/movies/blood_sport/bloodsport28.jpg

In all seriousness.... to do it you have to practice it over and over every day... Its not something you can learn to do quickly.. your body has to adapt to be able to do it.

Kikamoondance
10-07-2010, 06:24 AM
There are specific exercises. I advise you one: open your legs sitting on the ground as you can, without exaggeration. Lean forward and put your hands on the ground in front of you. sprung forward. Do it for fifteen minutes every day. the effects are insured :D

PhDPepper
10-07-2010, 06:41 PM
They have a tool to help, i've seen it at a martial arts dojo before. Its actually in this interview they did with Gackt, a japanese rock performer. Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmOD8fKYuE)